SECTION TEN CENTENNIAL EDITION SECTION TEN The Cherokee Courier CHEROKEE, IOWA, MAY 31, 1956 From an Old TownPump to Modern Waterworks System If you spray your lawn today $-j- . . i 'take a bath.--. . . get a drink of water: You're rjust one of the multitude in' this Centennial City cashing in on Cherokee's modern-day water system. i For Cherokee's waterworks anc affiliated system of water supply ranks in the upper levels of efficiency for > utilities in Hawkeye State cities:' What'S'"-'the story of water in Cherokee? It's a biographical novel of perpetual thirst spanning a century that'spawned the old town pump and ' Glistens now with, ,a modern- day '.waterworks, a costly pumping station, water tank huge city storage and memories of many ..thousands of dollars invested. " If you were a Cherokee resident in the late 1850's or 60's, chances are you mqre than earn*ed .that pure and simple thirst. ,You might 'have walked a mile for.'a7drink. No camels . . . Just a plain t old town pump. When the populace needed w.ater for household purposes off to,the center of town, they strolled. The climax to be, of course —• alfuridus bit of exercise duelling that-hardy town pumip. Let's trace the trend of wending water. Some years' following those early '60's, Cherokee began putting on its long pants. About then, started., putting 1 too, residents in ^ their own wells. Some"6T'thV'ni6re wealthy were blessed with pumps and •sinks Mnside .their homes. With the city's increase in size an accompanying desire to install $ "big city" .water,.network. By that time Cherdkee was big enough enough arid. .had. been frugal to - finance; a modern water- pumping and distribution net.,.Those 'early-day plumbing . systems^ were not complex: A.;water meter . ....one or more Itaps . ...- and in;some of the better '";"class" homes", • "water closets,'';; '.'•'• :,..•' .;';•" •• : > :'Q?rom'the earliest",dawning of . this city, down .to 1889, there actually was_.no -adequate system of; waterworks- .to provide ibadly- needed sanitary drinking water . .-.'.. or for vital fife protection. But Cherokee quit "roughing it" in '89.—just in time 1/> ?r>joy the "G-ay •-Nineties,'."-' '." ' During that .year; a standpipe system of waterworks went up at an expense of : $21,000'; This which were taken by banker N. T. 'Burroughs at somewhere above par. A "flowing well" of great force and rare- purity of ,water was Struck June 16,1889 near the steep banks of the Little Sioux River at the east end of Main. The 200 foot well flung out a stream eight inches in diameter. Nearby .arose: the pumping station from which large iron tubes still run to all locales within the incorporated limits. In the western sector of the city was constructed the standpipe. It was 18 feet in diameter and 80, feet high.. This gave a total "head", of 190 feet above Main. ;The original tank h'acUa 7,000- gallon capacity. Pressure from it was capable of tossing .a stream of-water, over the highest''bulid- ing in the city. Capacity of the first pumping plant hit near the 1,000,000-- gallon mark. .Pipe first used -on :.business streets was originally 8 to 10- inch pipe. The residential areas were accommodated with 4 and 6-inch pipe. Contract price for that original system was $20,975—a goodly lump of funds in those years. W. W. Curtis of. St. 'Paul was the engineer and E. T. .Sykes, Minneapolis, the contractor. He employed Frank P. Glough , as superintendent. Laborers -who shoveled-out the trenches and did other menial tasks were home town men — those who had. an interest. here and lived in the city. The, work began July 1, 1889 and ended in September, of that same year. Since that early date there 'have—both out of necessity and foresight — been many excellent improvements. Today Cher o.k e e consumes much more water. -It's not all derived from a sudden swelling of thirst and climatic change. Simply—Cherokee has grown, so have its homes, businesses and facilities . . ., with it .has gone expansion of the waterworks. To supply this city with an adequate amount of pure water, citizens have $205,000 invested in a debt-free system.' Efficient.op- eration, constant improvement— :hose have Ibeen the bywords for water here. City Clerk J. A. (Jim) Gary is :he "man in the know" on this Arater system operation. was'met by issuing bonds—all of Gary, who is superintendent of the water works, too, will retire this - summer. He ' has held the City Clerk's * .post since 1934. Clyde Trimble,-a former member of the City Council, will succeed the, retiring Gary. Trimble .iplans to assume his duties' on June 11..Gary will remain in the post until August 1. Cary, an untiring worker giv-' ing. excellent service, could answer a Hood of- questions on Cherokee water. He cpuld tell you how your daily water supply for babies, bottles and baths' is taken, from' .two deep wells—onte a 3-ineh and the other a 10-inch site- situated at the pump'ng plant out on East Main. Those funnels deep into the earth are drilled 210 feet beneath the surface where they penetrate both Dakota sandstone and finally hard rock bottom. Actually, this sandstone strata receives its water supply eventually from rainfall deposited on I'he ground in various areas of the Northwest sector. The strata is not dependent upon local areas. City water here always has been free-'of any objectionable substances. As shown by state laboratory,analysis, the water is only of'.',- .moderate" hardness — about 21 grains. The pumping station houses pumps, motors, ^master meters, chlorinator and other equipment. Each well is equipped with a 500-GJPM deep'well turbine pump which draws' the water from the well .into two underground reservoirs on" the grounds. These storage units have a capacity of 27,000 gallons. Water is pumped from the storage basins 1 and discharged into a 12-inch line, through the network of -mains aha into the .huge elevated storage, tank on North Eleventh Street The two high service, pumps that force the water into the elevated tank and mains are located in a pit at the station. The high service, pump', of course, is arranged to. permit addition of, units, should .ifuture increase', in consumption warrant. As the water is taken from, the reservoirs by .the pumps, liquid chlorine, is added as an additional safeguard, and in compliance with' State Board of Health rules. • ,. This city's distribution system is comprised of a network of cast iron mains ranging in size from 2 to 12 inches. Some 17 miles, of. mains are included in the maze of piping. Values a"t various spots control water in servicing the system. Then, naturally, there are more than 100 fire plugs attached to the mains and located in strage- tic points throughout the city for fire protection. Individual taps are^made off the large network to carry service, to the consumer. The elevator storage tank supplants the original built long before the turn of the century. This second tank is 47 feet in. diameter with a five-foot riser pipe. Distance from ground to bottom of the tank is 64 feet. To the top of the tank—110 feet. A-storage capacity of 400,000 gallons is contained within the tank. This provides a uniform pressure on the system which varies from around 43 pounds at the base of the tank to 100 pounds on the lower ground levels of Cherokee. It's no exaggeration to note that new industry—tempted by the lure of the Centennial" City— will today find Cherokee's efficient water system one more reason for headquartering here. Christensen Bros. 1 Employs About 80 Employing V 75 to 80 men is the Christensen Bros. Ready Mix Concrete firm, which builds bridges and culverts as well as selling ready-mix concrete. The business was started 25 years ago by the father of John Chrasten- sen of-CheroIvee, Chris of Sioux City, Harold of Tyler,' Minn.,'ah Andrew of Storm Lake. , Chdstensen's shop is located on Saratoga Street and the Ready Mi> plant is on Vine Street. ^ Manager o the latter-is Joe .'Elliott, who lives with his wife and two -sons at 5252 Ash. ' Main office of the' company is a 3300 Broken Kettle Road, Sioux City. " : An Early Day Photo Of Our Present Courthouse J^:' Old Newspape r Articles Te - -. • «JL • . •Kn tory ofMovi When the railroad '-came Cherokee, and the settlers moved would ~-answer': the purpose re Samsel Garage Flourishing Present owner of Samsel Garage on South Second is Lyle Samsel The business -was purchased in 1927 by his father, Percy Samsel. Lyle Samsel, owner for the past 17 years, vvorked in a Storm Lake garage for eight years before coming to Cherokee. He and his wife live at 118 Wilson Avenue. With truck service as a specialty, Samsel Garage has a Phillips-66 filling station in connection with it. Cherokee Football Team Of The.Early-1900's from Old^GheroKee;-tO« the^-new Ipcation nearer the' r"ailroad, th c'iunty officers each had their own 'office in various locations. In 1872, Robert Buchanan, ipub- ilisher of'the Times,, carried : the following articles' regarding, the moving of the old courthouse to the new city. The stories in themselves 1 iiell the complete story- o: that move, . how it' came about and'what it cost. They are printed here-word for word, as they appeared over a six (niohth period.' :.-.' January. 12, 1872 "; County Buildings Having 'the county seat permanently located, it becomes a matter of prime necessity .that there, should be a building or offices,, provided-for the various officers and courts. There are. two ways open to supply this need, One is to rent, the other to build. Which is the cheapest and best for the county? To rent will cost the county for 1872 not less than S700 and this sum will increase each year.as the county settles up, the county thus paying as rent a sum equivalent of 6% interest on 811,666.66 for rooms and hall accomodations each year. Supposing the building to be built which is suited for county purposes'to be worth 82,000, the county will be virtually, paying 35% interest to the. owner for its use. We need not spend time to .demonstrate the proposition that no community or person can afford to pay such a rate of interest. Only absolute necessity can justify paying such rents. Will it be cheaper and better to build a courthouse when our warrants will only sell for one half their face? Let us see;- A building 20x60 feet, two stories high, ffcir- minings on the ground floor, four offices, each 15x20 feet and on the upper floor a courtroom 20x 40 feet and two jury rooms each 10x20 feet, finished all. complete, can be erected for $3,600 in coun- .y warrants and 6% interest on this sum being $216 to which we add $60 for insurance and repairs, and we have an expend!- ure of $276 per year for the use of all the county buildings. Such building as we have described, vould be large enough and good enough for the county for several 'ears and' when the county be- oines able to erect a better 'one, vould be just such a building as could be easily converted into a tore and-would" sell-readily for, nearly its full value. Again the accommodations .would be -very •nuch better than anything we vould be likely to be able /; to- rent or even the $700. It seems to us lear that the county should build plain-substantial house .that quired paying- immediately instead o high rents for inferio: accommodations. In--less than five years the county would pay-ou more money for rent than it would cost to erect the building ..There is"still : another plan proposed by some, -Which may be cheaper-even, than to build and that is to move, the old .courthouse down .here and fit it up. We have no idea what the ex pense would be but suggest that the board of supervisors that the board of supervisors .advertise for bids on both plans -and about that which-.will .:iri- 'the' end be most economical., ; -/. January 16, 1872 LEGAL NOTICE- Notice To Contractors Notice is hereby given that the undersigned committee will receive up to noon of the 10th day of February, A.D., 1872, sealed proposals for the removal Of the Cherokee county courthouse irom its present site to that now occupied by the county jail in new Cherokee. Bids will be received on either or both of the following plans: First - on removal in bulk without taking apart and giving two good coats of plaster. Second - on removal by taking apartand giving new shingles on the roof, new siding, and plastering as above, with its present subdivisions, work to be completed on or before the first day of April, 1872. (Persons bidding must be pre- )ared to execute bonds in the sum of $1,500 with approved security for the performance of he contract-as per specifications; The committee reserving the ight to reject any or all bids. Plans and specifications may'be examined at the county treasurer and recorders office at Cherokee, Cherokee County, Iowa. David J. •layes, Carlton Corbott, James ienderson, committee. Dated, 'anuary 16, 1872. Proceedings - January Session Board of Supervisors Cherokee County, Iowa- Meeting held on Monday, Janary 15, 1872. Among the items iscussed was the following: On motion resolved, D. J. Hayes, James Henderson, and Triton Corbett be • and hereby appointed a committee to adver- isc received bids and contracts or the removing and refitting of he courthouse and (placing it upon the lot on which the county ail ,is now located. Adopted. January 26, 1872 This ought to be a busy day in- own. The beard of supervisors April 12, 1872 The courthouse is now on the Bounty lot near the coal depot The cost of moving has been $790 n warrants. Mr. Diirkee, the con- ractor, lost by the contract, the weather and other -things being against him. On Thursday, there was a dance in the hall at which :0 tickets were sold. There was a ;eneral good time. meets, the: agricultural' society meets, .and' the two contracts are to be .let by auction. February 16, 1872 On Saturday, .tenders for letting the job of moving 'the courthouse were- received, and considered. There were eight tenders in all as follows: For taking apart, two; George Sat'terly, $1,800'and H; C. Lane, $2,3000. For moving in bulk, six; C. A. Durkee, $790 - R. W. Luther, $1,450 - A. G. Armstrong, $1,400 - 3harl.es Foster., giving new siding and new roof, $2,250 - N.,T. Bur-, roughs, new siding,'. .roof ' and floors, $1,000 in cash. Mr. Dur- cee's offer.was accepted. ,- ': May 24, 1872 The work pn the courthouse is jeing pushed forward rapidly. e underfloor has been relaid with new material and the dif- erent offices fitted up nicely. On the second floor a jury room ias been built, a necessity that aas been long felt. Mr. Durkee he contractor has been making a good fair job putting in good material and seems determined o give the county all he con- racted, to do. The front of the 'Uilding 'has been sided anew and the entire building is to be tainted in good style! Plastering ill begin in a few days, so that he courthouse will -be ready'for iccupancy by the first of July. VIessrs. Henderson and Corbett, who have had supervision of the ontract, have certainly done the :ounty justice by the close atten- ion paid to its progress and hrough unworried watchfulness Cherokee has a courthouse not •nly for a .small outlay but one hat will afford ample accommodations for several years .to come, lay no claim to its beauty jut it has all the elements of use 1 - ulness and durability in the full- st- degree, while its a;ppearance s such as will in no ways detract rom the county or its inhabi- ants. . , smoke ' of dust and coal without '' blushing. The June 28, 1872 ' _ The courthouse is at last com- ileted and the county officers afely ensconsed within its walls. t has been painted a sensible buHding is placed upon a solid stone foundation. The chimney is .rebuilt and the roof is surmounted 'by a cupolo. Within, the rooms are tidy, comfortabie and substantial, painted and grained in good style. All the workmen deserve credit' for the parts per-_ fqrmed. :by them. Carpenters, plasterers and painters all have ione' excellent work and made a, house that will meet the needs of the county for years to come. Mr. Durkee is a gentleman of the •first order and has done a job that is ' an honor to him. Messrs. Henderson .and , Corbett have superintended" the work from the letting of ; the ; job to the finishing and with unw.orried watchfulness lave guarded the interests of the county both in the quality of the work, the material and the cost. This they have done- •without any help, of reward, further than to serve the interests of the public. All the offices are occupied as before the desertion of the courthouse, recorder, occupying the . room formerly tenanted - oy Mr. Ford. On the second floor the courtroom is quite pleasantly fitted .up, having a clean and inviting* appearance. In the corner where the chief office stood, a room is set off as a jury room. The location is not a good one but taking all together, no one need find any fault but feel satisfied with the entire work • and the gentlemen connected with it. Our Churches: Sabbath School AD friends of School- cause are the Sabbath" requested to meet at the School House in New Cherokee next Sabbath morning at nine o'clock to see if we will organize a Union Sabbath School. Mr. Brown proposes to come in with the children from the Old Town and will transfer the library to this place if you should wish it. Rev. Mr. Rose and others will be present, to assist in organizing the school. • Times, Dec. '23,1870. ICE CREAM SOCIA'i The young ladies of Presbyterian Church will hold a strawberry and ice cream social in Vandorcook's Hall on Thursday evening next week. In addition to the refreshments they have prepared a- pro- gramme including reading, recitations, music, etc. Times — June. 7, 18S3. June 28, 1883—Mrs. George H.- Pull has purchased the millinery nd durable color,.one that.-will'establishment of Mrs. Emerson.
What members have found on this page
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
- Millions of additional pages added every month