Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa on May 31, 1960 · Page 66
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa · Page 66

Publication:
Location:
Cherokee, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, May 31, 1960
Page:
Page 66
Start Free Trial
Cancel

Country Club Formed July 1,1921 Only Three Charier Members Lei! The Cherokee Country Club is a golf club' organized under its present name on July 1, 1921. It .was incorporated under the laws of .the State of Iowa in the same year. Of the original 62 charter members only three, .Dr. C. H. Johnson, W. P, McCulla and Lew McDonaSi have retained their iriejnb.ership .in the Cherokee Club since its beginning. Dr. Johnson was the first president. , ; - . . The original Board of Directors consisted .of Hi H. Toman, Dr. Johnson, George Donohoe, Roy King;'C. JJMaher, -F. P. Webber, L.' R./Adsit,; R r G. Knbx, H. R'. Lamoreux, W. L. E. Appleyard, D.^E.^DanielsoB, ; Mr/, McCulla, Frank Colby- arid. ^Fay, Dickenson. .Warren Dickenson, ! golf architect- of Des ., Sloin.es laid 'out the present nine.-'hdle gold. course in . 1922'. The grounds which -'the Club , purchased vori March 1,. 1923 .con- sis'); : of approximately. 88 acres Ideated at the north end of .Eleventh Street.. In 1924 a: club ho'use: ;'was*\' erected upon the -grounds . "and ,'hss, been in. cp'ri- ' -'stfint" •' use- % sincere-its':-.:- completion the same yeaf./'In. 1934/a 30'. by 60? concrete 'swimming/ pool was constructed, on the gfolmds adjacent to the club house. The Cherokee Club is the only privately owned nine -hole golf club in the State of Iowa which has as part of its facilities, a swimming pool. In 19.00. a golf . course was laid out and: operated on the grounds. of. the old "Fountain House". In 1902 this course,, was abandoned and a- new course was started on •what%as then known as "Green's Pasture", the present, location , of Washington High School, with oae of greens located on the exact location where the high school . ,was erected. , This course was /abandoned in 1905 and from that /'. time until 1915 there was no golf course 'v in.*-; Cherok.ee.- .In 1915 a nine hole .course was. laid out on the Mental-Health grounds known . as! Forrest. Hills Course. This was /'used by /many of the original : member^ Until the completion of •the final course in 1923. Barnett L. Hester is the present president; " Phil Lothrop, vice president; Dr. J. A. Hirschman, treasurer and Loyal Martin, sec. retary. The Board of Directors meet 'the second Tuesday of each -month. One year directors are: R:'; J. Vining, Dr. Hirschman, Mr. ^Hester, E^PrBurke-and Mr Mar- tin; for two years, Lewis Shea. Mr. Lothrop, Jack Cook, Earl Davis, Paul Gqeb; for three years. Charles Allison, E, J. Groves. Sam Mangold, D. J. Scothorn and Vern Ohlson. Charter members of the club were as follows: ' C. J. Maher, R. G. Knox, C. W. Salsbery, R. C. Siple, C. H. Johnson, Roy H. King, H, R. Lamoreux, J. K. Rice, George Donohoe. P. B. Cleaves, F. P. Webber, Lewis Emerson, F. E. Muraine. M. J. Shea, W. A. Sanford, C:- E. DeJarnette, Lew McDonald, Ted A.,-" Heller, George A. French, G. W.' McNeil, R. L. Kelley,' H. R Swensen, Fay Dickerson, R. E Sebern, H. H. Toman, A. M. Calvin, C. D. Meloy, L., F. Parker, Leo, C. Harrison, James F. Weart, D. P. Clark, W. H. Lysaght, D. E. Danielsori, Robert Grace}', F. W. Johansen, Con Sullivan, George Brummer, Lawrence R. Adsit; W. <F.. Hutt, W. H. Schmidt, Hawley 'Allison, A. J. Rasmus, F. B. E. Miller,; L. A. Wescott, C. M. Sullivan, W. L. E. Apipleyard, C. H. Hall, E. J. Stanosheck, Charles Helin, F. A. Colby, W. P. Me Culla, R. C. Seaman, W. W. Boyd, D. Kingsbury, A. F. Limbert, L. R. Stanosheck, E. D. Huxford, J. J. Kohn, Joe F. Wanberg, W. -J. Hall, R. H. French, Wallace Caswell, T. W. Hartigan. "habitual gripers..." Throughout the world there will always remain a minority group, knosvn as "habitual gripers". Not to be out done by the years to follow, the year of 1870 had its share of the usual complainers. However, perhaps their plight for attention, in regard to their gripes was a justified one. The problem at hand was a prevalant one in many parts of the U. S. during this age. It seems that many Cherokee residents were dissatisfied with "he mail service and they felt that by making their comments openly perhaps something could be don,e about the situtation. Mail from the east arrived on a tri-weekly basis, providing oads and weather were favoraBle. Mail coming from the west '-/as •upposed to come into the thriving metropolis every day. Free- 5enned reporters of that time interpreted the uncertainty of the postal servke, from that direction, by saying "there's a-screw loose n Sioux City since there's not always a way of getting the material to the depot at this locality. Recommendations were made to have one person in charge of this job. This may have been a satisfactory solution to the problem since it was not mentioned in follow-up issues.of the widely-read publication. Royer Firm Is One Of Oldest 0. A. Royer was Horn in Illinois but came to Cherokee County at the age of six 1 monfiis, his parents making Aurelia their home. He was schooled "there, graduating from the Aurelia Higti Pr'iool and then attending a watch-making and engraving school from 1901 to 1903. In 1909 he e.iteicd the Omaha I Optometry Institute of Tar-box &• Gordon. For many years lie operated a store in Aurelia prior to entering .flic field in Cherokee. The original location of this establishment was where Mallory's Drug Store now stands. The business was moved in 1939, when Mr. Royer bought out the Faye Dickinson store — or the present location — on West Main Street. Mr. Royer's son Don, came into the firm in 1953, having specialized in stonework and diamonds. The partnership then became known as. Royer £ Son, Jewelers, with 0. A. Royer combining his optomclry profession with the jewelry trade over the year. "Little Brown Jug" "The question arises, do all the jugs that our citizens Carry really contain magic water? Is it not barely possible that the sudden popularity of brown jugs may be due in part to something more spiritual than magnetic water?" Conards Cafe Opened In 1944 Harlcn E .Cenard has operated Canard's Cafe since July 1942, when he and Jerry Conard bought ;he business from John Collister. In April, 1955 Harlen took over the entire operation of the cafe and :avern. Conard is a native oflda Grove <nd before coming to Cherokee op- jrated a sandwich shop there. i Wholesale Firm Here Since '36 United Wholesalers first opened its doors in April,' 1927, at; .621 Pierce . Street, Sioux City,' With three ' employes and managed by Robert and "Clara Terry. The .first Branch store was opened in LeMars, in 1936 and' the second store, in Cherokee, fie following year. In 1950 the firm was incorporated, making 1U possible for employees to become business partners in the venture. Since that time, branch stores have been opened in both Kock Rapids and Ida Grove. Sioux City's headquarters are now located at Seventh and Water Streets.'The company's policy is to supply quality repfecement and or- ginal/General Motors parts.to service outlets throughout the Sioux- land" area ^ Me Williams Drugj Was The Former Schuster Firm Back in Hie early 1890's an im- j pressive brick building was erected on the corner of Main and Second. In the first floor of this building George and 'Henry Schuster Opened the drugstore which is still in operation and now known as "McWilliams Drug • Store On The Corner-.-" •-'.", From its. early joint ownership" until the present time there'have been four changes in ownership. Shortly after the turn of the century Henry Schuster bought out his brother's interest. .In 1919 Bert McWilliams, who had. worked for the Schusters as' a boy,' bought the store. Six, years later his brother; P. O. McWilliams, Sr., took over its ownership and operation. He too had worked in the Schuster Drugstore. Ten years, ago P. O. IVfc Williams Sr. sold the store to his sons, W. B., H. J. and P. 0.. McWilliams, Jr. The store now has a total of 11 employes. All three of the present owners were born in Alton and moved to Cherokee when they were young .boys. W. B. McWilliams attended Drake University; while his brothers went to Creighon University in Omaha. • ' The firm also operates stores in Denison Hawarden and Ottumwa. The McWilliams' families are members of Immaculate Conception Church and well known for their Chamber of Commerce activities in Cherokee. Delaplane Shoe Store Founded Here In 1902 High-button : shoes were the vogue when the Delaplane family '. first started in the shoe ; busines in 1902. G. S. Delaplant purchased the present business from. Dave Bates and the .original building was,, replaced , with, the .present. modern fireproof structure in 1913. . After. Mr. Uelaplane's death in 1927 his'wife ..inherited, the ownership and, since her death in 1953 the store is owned by three daughters: Miss Margaret Delaplane, owner, manager; ' Miss Helen K. Delaplane, Mrs. C. E. Williams. Fareway Store Here In 1950 ' Iowa's first Fareway Store was opened in 1938"in Bo'one. Since that time 22 stores have been added 'to the chain and employes total 500. Bill.Beckwith, opened Cherokee's store in 1950. He is a. native of a Nebraska-farm,- attended Boone Junior College, and ..served in the, U. S.'Navy. With the slogan "Iowa's Most Economical Food . Stores." the Fareway chain's policy is to offer the most good food fot the lowest possible prices. • ^mE TODUS HppuHnces eat ___ _ OF SERVING THIS COMMUNITY WITH THE | Finesif Hard waref and Gifts QUALITY ^Cwr < ^ ave ^ e ^ ^ s P e - Q ks for itself while price and price alone is not enough. It has been and will continue to be our policy to supply Cherokee with the finest hardware and gifts available at reasonable prices. WE SALUTE CHEROKEE ON ITS 100 YEARS HardwarS Cherokee. Iowa Since AND Through the years we have handled many jobs in Cherokee . . . somo of {horn have been the largest warm air healing and air conditioning installations . . . while others were small repair jobs. In the hundreds of Cherokee area homes that we have had the priviledge of installing new systems and equipment every one has been planned and. engineered to give the service for which ihey were intended and we have put forth every effort on repair work to make older systems give satisfaction for our customers. We are proud to be one of the component parts of the building industry, which has contributed to the building of a mondern, progressive Cherokee. We join in observing Cherokee's Great Centennial Celebration and extend our congratulations to this "Queen City" of Iowa's great northwest. AIR FLO HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING A CORRECT UNIT FOR EVERY PURPOSE . GENERAL MOTORS . , BELCOHEAT AMERICAN LIGHTNING RODS SHEET METAL WORK JOHNSON TIN

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free