Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa on May 31, 1960 · Page 58
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa · Page 58

Publication:
Location:
Cherokee, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, May 31, 1960
Page:
Page 58
Start Free Trial
Cancel

10 Persons Met To Form lurch On June 5,1870 Fust PIP bytenan Chuich of Cheiokee was oi^aiwud on June 5 1J70 by 10 PPI<\HH who were spu- ed by the R<>v A M Daiiny foi t e no\it five yea s. Seen a chuith pdif ce was eiecl- ed on West Ma.n Stient at a cost of $4,000 and was dedicated Aug- ucit 10, 1373 The building was of frame, con- shuction 2-1' by 40', and said by Cheiokee residents of that ppnod to have been "well built and elegantly furnished". In 1884 an addition 36 by 40 feet was added with opera chaus installed for seating the congiegation, and a fuinace placed in the basement for heating. At the dedication of this addition in 1884, the name "Memoiial" Presbyterian Church was adopted, tl«is being the first chuich dedicated after the Union of the Old and the New Presbyterians m the U. S A Some of'the eldeis of the Church of the eaply yeais weie — James Rdbertson, Rcfoeit Hall; John White; James McCluie; John Thomson; Root E Lea, John McDonald; Alexander B Ross; David White, Tnos Steele Pastois subsequent to Mr. Darley weie. Rev T McAdam — 187'5-1. < !80 Rev 'Geoige Knox — 1880-1885. Rev John McAllister — 18851892 Rev Campbell Coyle — 1892 Rev James E Sentz — 18931894 Rev William II Kcarns — 18911897 Rev. 0. S Thompson—1897-1900. Rev Geoige Long — 1901-1908. RPV James W. Pean — 1909 1913. |Rev, Rev 1936 Rev A. B. Thufct — 1913-1926. Robent C Mlchell — 1927- R S Br-Ovvn — 193G-19"7 Rev A C Peleiien — 1937 19-1G Rev H G McCoy — 1946-1934 Ihe piesent pastor is the Rev Carl W. • Be.ckm.an-. installed in Apiil, 1954 Eaiuy in 1910 work was begun on Jehovah Witness Group Formed Here In 1938 In the fall of 1938 two of Jehovah's Witnesses (one from Dubuque, the other one from Wisconsin) moved to Aurelia. They preached from house to house and held meetings in different private homes. As the congregation grew a hallj was needed in which to meet, Inj the summer of 1949 the Congregation moved to Cherokee and rented .a room' at 205 ] / 2 West' Main street. This became known as Kingdom Hall." In' August of 1953 the' congregation moved to the present location ait :--225%'< West Main Street. Here they hold three meetings a "week: which, are open to the', public. ,.-.-.... ; Over the years the congregation has had many increases in ministers. Some have moved away, but at' the present there are 23 ministers. . Among Jehovah's Witnesses there is no laity class — all are ministers.' ' They preach from house to house. Presbyterian Church — Then ''' ''' '' the new church edifice at the corner of Fust sheet and Willow. On Sept 25 of that year the cornerstone was laid The following year on .November 19, 1911, the new building was dedicated and with solidated 'into the nationwide Presbyterian Womens' ! organization. The "Mariners Club", an organization: of young married couples, and a Presbyterian Mens' Council, a part of the National Council of Presiby.tei'ian Men add conspicuous community. Through the years the congregation had Memorial Presbyterian chuiich has dunn"- the fust 40 conducted an adequate', ^religious minor alterations- has served, -the needs of the congregation to thej service to the .program .of the present time. | Church in the homes and in the' From the.. original 10 members -in.-; 18,70, • the giown to 353 yeais In the 44 jears since 1911 the church has enjoyed a steady growth and now reports 721 active communicants. The regular work .of the church has been supplemented by several -Women's Societies which were organized as -follows: 'The Women's. .Missionary Society in 1878; the Social Union in 189;), Westminster Society in 1897. In later years "Melrose Circle," "Mary McDonald Circle," and the Rural Missionary Society were organized to cany on specitic needs m the missionary piogram of the Church On January 1, 1956 these various Women's organizations were con- education program through the church school'-staffed" by. qualified teachers for alii age groups — Sunday evening meetings for high school -junior and .senior, groups. In addition the Church furnishes a meeting place for Cub Scouts and Brovvnies arid has made avalUibJe teachers and Classrooms fora Vacation Bible School every year. Through the years the Msmoriiail Prejbyte'rian Church hafs ^notably contributed toward the betterment .of community life, often furnishing auditorium space for many loca: activities as well as for the usual •area meetings of Synod and Presbytery. The local church is a mem- the Icwa Synod 'and the Presbyterian Church U. S. A. The affairs of Ihe Church are controlled by a Bnnrd of Elders of 15 " members and a Board of Trustees of equal Wa-Tan-Ye .."'-. Club Formed Here In 1923 'Wa-Tan-Ye Club, a business and' professional v/omen's service organization was formed September 5, 1923, at the Cherokee Public Library by Miss Ruth Gibson, now Mrs. Ben Thomson of Long Beach, Calif. It was organized for the purpose of giving to the. city of Cherokee a women's service organization to serve in the same capacity, as. Rotary. The - club formerly has met-in the Y.M.C.A. now known as the Print Shop, at the home of Mrs. Bess Webber and at Hotel Lewis. At present the club meets the first Monday of every month for a business meeting at 115 V? S. Second and on the third Monday of each month lor a social meeting in the homes of its members'. When organized, the membership totaled 33 charter members whose officers were Mrs. Bess Webber, president; Dr. Elizabeth Saddon, vice-president;- Dr. Jennie Phelan,~~secretary and Miss Gertrude McKichan. treasurer.:' . Present officers are president, Central "Church of Christ FOR Hi! On January. 25. 1952, 32 persons high in Bible School attendance is met in one of the homes of this 167. community..-.As a result of this Also during this time they have meeting Central Church of Christj endeavored to* maintain a strong' came into existence. This church j educational, missionary and benev- \vas to be locally autonomous, j olent program. As a result they adopting the Bible alone as its rule have grown materially, numerical- of faith'.'and practice. The doctrines, faith, and prac- ly and spiritually. tices "set.Eolith in the Bible, specifically in ithe New Testament, were to be those observed and promoted by this congregation. Almost.,, immediately this new congregation purchased the former house of worship of Trinity Lutherans-Church. The first meeting \\jas held in this byilding February 3,1952- Later in the year this _^ ^ buildiing.w.as completely remodel- prm ' p , ans Jnre ed and equipped to make it adequate • for : the needs of the congregation: On June 1, 1952, Egbert K minister and is still with the con- STeivvland'was called to serve as its gragaltion. in that capacity. Since the day of its first meeting Ail expenses of (bis new work has been borne by the congregation. In addition to support cf local work, over $5.000 has bren given to causes in olhcr fields. A constant: flow of clothing and other Hems has gone to needy fields. They bear the solo responsibility for a family oi : Christian workers in Ihe Philippines. Alo partial. responsibility for novv family in Ja- bein" execiit- number elected by the tion. 1 Congrega- Presbyterian Church — Now Oct. 19, 1882 "J. C- Wilson's photography gallery is now located on the sec- rnd floor of the Wilson block. His rooms are spacious, well-lighted carpeted and finely equipped." "The Fountain House closes this week for the winter. Tirir house has been an extraordinary custom during the season, but a? it is more of a watering place and sanitarium than hotel it seems, proper to hybernate during the winter." "Brickwork on the All iron building was completed on Tuesday. The structure is certainly handosme; three stories high with terra-cotta trimmings. . . it is composed of beautiful cherry-red brick . . ." this congregation has grown from the 'original number of 32 to a total membership of 130. The record ed to secure a parsonage in near future. times, April, 1871 Butter and eggs are very scarce in our market, the former brings 25 cents per pound and the latter 15 cents per dozen. LONG DISTANCE CALL AT OUR EXPENSE COMPLETE LIVESTOCK AND . GRAIN. HAULING LOCAL OR LONG DISTANCE - 337 South 8th Cherokee One Trailer & One Straight Truck Leola Pingel; secretary, Avis Rosendall; treasurer, Mrs. Esther Hooper; historian, Madge Scott; board members, Esther Hooper, Margaret Mulkey, Connie-.'-Herman and Dorothy "Schulze. Current members total 18 with one" honorary member. : ; Worthwhile .projects undertaken by the club include; assist^ 1 ing in a "City Beautiful" campaign .in 1926; cooperation in the establishment of the Camp Fire 'iris and Girl Scouts in Chero- '•ee; donations to the school'milk fund; -, planning Christmas cele- orations for patients in the coun- 'y home, purchasing books and clothing and furnishing ' financial •vd in other ways to those in need:', wrapping toys for Associated • Charities plus making donations __ <:o the cause. They also assisted.] in many community drives. In recent years they have ascistecf with Senior Visiting Days. At present the group sponsors "he welfare of one young woman it Mental Health Institute, co'n- •-ibute to the inhabitants of the County Home, and establish:: a Merit Award to be presented each year to a worthy 'senior girl for use in furthering her educa'tion. The .club was host to the National convention of Wa-Tan-Ye Clubs in 1930 when 64 delegates from Iowa, Illinois arid South Dakota attended. Again in 1938 'bey were hosts to the four state national organization with 200 in attendance. Mrs. Francis Naul- teus was elected vice-president and Alice Timmins was national secretary. Mrs. Webber served as state board member, secretary of the Matinnp]. grrup: vice president-of jthe National in 1928 and presi- tent in 192!) bringing honor ,to her community. More than'60 members attended the First District meeting held 'n thfJ Fern Rmm, Hotel Lewis on March 21, 1954. . Miss Bess Fensler, city librarian in Cherokee for over 30 years, honorary member, was presented with. a ruby pin and honorary membership award for her outstanding service to the communi- '.y and for her work in the organization of the First District Meet: ng .in 1954. Truck Service Tune-Up Work General Overhauling Wrecker Service 504 South 2nd. St. April 19, 1883 A few of the boys have gone into the tape-worm business in a lively style and manufacture them in unlimited quantities. One productive youth turned them out at the beginning of the week at the rate of 75 Sect' a day. This begat a spirited opposition and. three other young men then devoted their best energies to the production of this domesticated reptile. _. "EXCLUSIVE BUT NOT EXPENSIVE" ; SIX, IOWA STORES — SHELDON, CARROLL, SPENCER, STORM LAKE, CHEROKEE. DENISON

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free