Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa on May 31, 1960 · Page 56
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa · Page 56

Publication:
Location:
Cherokee, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, May 31, 1960
Page:
Page 56
Start Free Trial
Cancel

First Baptist Church •& •& •& •& %.^-^^s*^'5s^5=.-' ! 5s'" ! «5^^«^55^ < ^^ First Baptist Church Organized In 1870 dedication sermon was given by Dr. C. H. Strickland. Also present, wits Kev. J..W. Neyman who had: been called by the church arid began his pastorate at this time. This building served the needs of the congregation until 3914 when it was razed with the thought of (he construction of a now church? Following that, however, the congregation worshiped in rented places for almost "10 years. The plans for (he present building, of which only the basement i^ completed, were begun in 1951. In November of that year a f'':.'d drive was launched. The fol-' -lowing Ocicbor. the basement unit • i was started. Much of the work has been done .by- both the men and women of the congregation; The first worship service in the new basement unit was held on' Easter Sunday 1953 and on October 18 a service of dedication was held. The sermon of dedication was given by Dr. Paul Smith, executive secretary of thc,Iowa Baptist Convention of which this/church is a part and through which: it'is-affili- ated with .the -American- Baptist Convention. ; • .-. On April 2, 1870 a smalt group .met -at school house in old Cherokee .to organize .a Baptist Church. D. J. Gates was chosen as their, first-'chairman, and live brethren and two sisters becams the constituent members of . : the first church- in the county. .. , J. C. Hu'bbert'was elected clerk and J. A. Brown.x Deacon. They met regularly in the _scticol house with most of- the members being -' present. A year after organization the?/ met .in: a little room called ."Odd Fellows'.; Hall'' in 1 New Cherokee arid at this .meeting received a report. Crom the. Iowa Falls and Sioux ,'City Land Co. that it would dd- : •nate.-them a lot on 1 which to build a church. For a time following this meeting.-'the. group held services at McLain's Hall over McLain's : Hotel. ' T ••;-' '.-: ; ; 'Ori'May'20, 1871 at 'their call for- a council .of recognition," two.dele- gates ft-rim the two nearest-Baptist Churches, both .60 miles away, met with : them and formally recognized the Cherokee'grqup-as . a -Baptist Church. The delegates were Rev.' James. Sunderlarid of Sioux City and liev. George Scott- of .Denison.. Since, the 'church had "no regular pastor until two years after its or- ganizktion some of. the-preaching was done by : a young store- clerk, :. . j. E.' Sanders, Who was given a :-preaching license.by the group. The first regular minister was Rev., A. W'. Hilton who began his" pastorate March,!,• 1872. In June of .that'year the meeting place was changed to the courthouse, • and here, too,'a Sunday school was organized and the Lord's Supper observed for the first time. The congregation at this time numbered 24 members and plans were-underway'for the building of •the first church. The building was completed-and the dedication , service held on September 7, 1873 - in connection with the Western -Baptist ^Associa- Implepenl Firm lion-which met with them that year. This church cost ""a little more than 52,100." • This amount was raised in various ways. There w.ere many dollar subscriptions" from the. ladies and small gifts labeled "'children's subscriptions." Several bushels of wheat were'contributed and a loan was secured from the American Baptist Home Mission Society. This biulding served as s -the church home for the .next 16 years with few changes in appearance. Later a baptistry and small dressing room was added. The Rev. Hilton resigned irr March 1875 and in April the Rev. E. N. Jencks came as pastor. His pastorate was short as were several who came after him. It was during special services held by Rev. R. C. Mosher in 18S7 lihat talk began for tlie building of a new church. At that time the "Young Ladies' Light Society" was organized for the purpose of . raising funds to furnish the lighting in the church they hoped to build. In 1887 during .the' pastorate of the Rev. W. H. Breach members residing at the two preaching stations in Diamond and Afton Townships asked to be dismissed for the purpose- of organizing churches in their own neighborhoods. Letters were granted to 16 members in Diampnd Township,; and to 11 in Afton, and assistance given them in organizing:..This left. the.mother church with a hundred-members. The Young People's Society of Christian Endeavor Was organized in 1888 and^ during the same year more definite plans were made for the building of the new church, which Was to cost not less than $6,000 and to stand on the site of the old.church. The foundation of the new church was laid in August, 1889 after subscriptions in the amount of $7,000 were obtained. The building (with its furnishings) which cost $10,10.0. was dedicated in April 1890. The- A farm store owned by the Lamont Brothers, and originally located on Main Street, has- .been traced as the parent installation of what is now the : Cherokee Implement Company. -.'•••' Bacsk in 1913 Jim Richards and Jerome Clow bought the/building and equipment from- -Lament Bros, and changed the name to Clow Implement. "Clow 'had moved to Cherokee from, a farm west of town; and Richards from Yakima, Washington. In.- 1918 Richards bought out Clow's interest, and from then until Richard's death in 1942 the : finm was known .as Richards' Implement. Shortly before -his: death, the present building at 219 .W. Willow was completed and the company moved to its present location. - .. •;.. Upon* settlement, of Richard's estate, John L. Evans of .Storm. Lake took over, the firm and changed the name to' Cherokee Implement. Evans owned the -firm for two/years. .'''••• :'.'• In 194.5 "Ben 'Brasser, the present owner-manager,-' bought the company. .Brasser,.,.;.a -native of Mason City, was among.'the first fifty men trained as lOwa high way; patrolmen, and served, on patrol duty- for ten years. : \ Cherokee Implement/ now the only John Deere dealership .in the county, has a total • of 18 employees. • . • . ''"'". The company also mans a warehouse in the southwest part of Cherokee on River Road. Here, full carloads of certain types of John Deere equipment are shipped; unloaded"; and re-shipped in mixed-equipment carloads as far west as the Continental. Divide. As many as 265 tractors have been 'Stored at one time in. the warehouse. er Formed Here In Year Of 1905 Mayflower Circle is a social organization which was formed in 1905 by a group 6f young women, to assist in; the 1 work of the Congregational Church. The only charter mcmbei now living is Mrs; -N. L. Stiles arid the only record of original officers shows that a-'Mrs. Daisy Gilmore Miller, now living in Abig- don,'• Illinois',- was'the first president. Meetings 'were then held at-the Congregational Chinch, on the corrfer of-Willow and Pine, now known as' the Bethlehem Lutheran. Church. ' ' Presently, meetings • are held in the homes of members, on the fourth Friday of the^nonlh The membership to this' circle is limited to thirty-five ladies and is kept at this number at all times. -:.. . In' the • book of by-laws, the ; purpose' of the Mayflower Circle is defined;thusly:'"To keep ahve the spirit of Congregationalism in our ^community ..- to; promote its social life - to- do such altruistic work as we may be able to db:" - Present -day officers are Pi esi- dent,. Mrs. Hattie Melton; Vicer President, Mrs.' Guy Smith; Secretary, Mrs.-Harry Phelan; Treasurer, Mrs. -Fred. Rupert; Card and Flower Chairman,- Mrs. . James Wilson. -.'••' ' - ' 1 WSGS Formed By Meihodisis In Year 1940 The Women's Society of Chiis- tiari Service of St. Paul's Methodist Church is a reorganized Ladies' Aid which started under its new ,name, on September,. 1940. The society was organized, by the .pastor and Ipymen who -had attended an organizational meeting. Present membership numbers 298 and the general meetings are held on the 'iirst'Wednesday of the 'month.' The membership is divided : into ' groups known as Circles. The afternoon Circles meet- on. tthe third Wednesday and >the evening Circle on the fourth Thursday of each month. "The purpose of : the Women's Society of Christian Service shall be to uriite, all women of the 1 'church in Christian living and. service; to.Jielp 'develop and support Christian vrork among women and' children'-'around the world;'to ' develop ': the spiritual life; to study the "needs of the world; to take part in such service' activities as will strengthen the local church, improve civic, community and world conditions. To" this end,- this' organization shall seek to enlist women.fypung people : and children :iri this Christian fellowship 'and to'secure funds for the activities':.in : 'the local church arid : support-" of the work undertaken at home -'and abroad for the establishment. of. a World Christian Community." Present officers are:' President, Mrs. F. J. Stiner; First Vice- President, Mrs. E. O. Bierbaum; S e c o nd Vice'-President, . Mrs. Charles' Lear; Recording- : Secretary, Mrs. George Pingrey; Treasurer,. Mrs. Irving Johnson; Secretary of Missionary Education 'and Service, Mrs. John Mills; Secretary of promotion, - Mrs. Lyle Poulsbn; Sect, of Christian Social Relations and Local Church Activities, Mrs. Ivan Carlson; Sect, of Student Work, Mrs. Gerald Carey; Sect, of Youth. Work, Mrs. Paul Grauer; Secy, of Children's Work, Mrs. Robert Reide- ler; Sect, of Spiritual Life, Miss Ella Jackson; Sect, of Literature and Publications, Mrs. George Keller; Sect, of Supply Work, Mrs. T. V Dawson; Sect, of Status of Women, Mrs. E. C. Hogan. . ; Your Headquarters For V Electric Supplies / Hardware / Housewares y Auto Accessories /Paint / Plumbing Supplies LOCALLY OWNED NATIONALLY ADVERTISED 107 E. MAIN J. H. YAGGY, Owner 'PHONE 238 Duven Funeral Home Started Here In 1919 The Duven- Funeral'Home was first established in 1919 by D. Kingsbury .in Cherokee' at its sresent location'on West Willow Street. .•'•'•'"•' Mr.' William Duven was then operating a combination 1 furniture, music and undertaking business, as was the practice of the day, at Orange City, Iowa. In 1928, he came to Cherokee and purchased the Funeral Home of Mr. Kingsbury, which he j has operated himself ever since that time, with the help of two employees. • Mr. Duven is a native of Sioux County and a graduate of Southern Minnesota Normal College and the Hohenschuk Carpenter Embalming College. In the past, two Of Mr. Duven's sons, Wilson and Fred, have^been associated with the firm,; prior to entering their own particular fields of endeavor, William Duven is a member of the Presbyterian church'and the Knights of Pythias Lodge.'' ion Wrestlers of- ', s , ' V With seven victories and one tie, Cherokee high school's undefeated wrestling team back in 1936 prepared for the final and} biggest match of the season against Fort Dodge. Pictured in'the undefeated team are left to right: Sleezer, 85 pounds Barr, IDS pounds; Gulling, 155- pounds; Hamilton, 145 pounds; Bower, 145 pounds and heavyweight; Coach Elmer Bierbaum; George, 165 pounds; Corrington, 135 pounds; Curran; 125 pounds; Kingsbury, 115 pounds and Martin 95 pounds. ^wrtmwjw—pyy- '„ * •>»•- „ ^_ r^T^-^iCA ?' .*- JULIUS VETTER 20 Y E A R S — — Serving Cherokee Area Motorists - Formers and Fuel Oil Consumers - - - To These Friends and Customers .We,Are,;Deeply,.Grateful For Our Continued Success. And, W.B are proud to have had a part in the History of Cherokee - - having served you for the past 20 years. We realize it has been 20 years in which we have had the pleasure of making hundreds and hundreds of new friends and have continued Jo servo our old faithful customers. •/"'•• KENNY VETTER Co.r.e visit our Farm Supply and Accessory department . . . from the 936 items we carry you arc sura t? find your needs at money saving prices, too. Top quality, nationally lcno-,v appliances . . . farm supplies . . . automotive accessories. © Pennsylvania Tires & Batteries HEAVY DUTY AND TRIUMPH Complete' Ose-Slop. © Lubrication @ Car Washing & Polishing © Wheel Balancing For highest performance and for safe, smooth driving . . . fi» "P with new Derby Flexgas — Ethyl or Regular. SO. 2nd & -LOCUST PHONE 674

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free