Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa on May 31, 1960 · Page 55
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa · Page 55

Publication:
Location:
Cherokee, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, May 31, 1960
Page:
Page 55
Start Free Trial
Cancel

SECTION SEVEN CENTENNIAL EDITION SECTION ,SEV'E'N The Cherokee Court CHEROKEE, IOWA> MAY 31, 1956 Those Were The D v ays . . . TOP ATT ootma; Cherokee's., first' venture into the theatre business-came in the early eighteen nineties" when a stock company was formed and the Grand Opera House was built. It was erected on the corner of Maple and Second street and in later years was rebuilt into what is'now the Arrow theatre. At the time of,the erection of the Grand, Cherokee was in a -position to get many of the better., roadshow attraction, as they [ made this stop in going between Sioux City and Fort Dodge. For many years the old Grand _ was a favorite of this territory. In succession, the following people were, managers of this theatre: W. A. Sanford, Moore & Chick Maurice Jenks, Miss Robertson of Sioux City, Frank Bronson, Al Ferris, Sisk & James, Max Drelke and Earl Hanson. ' " At the time the movies came in the old Grand began deteriorating and HI a few years was'closed, .Later, at different times, several severe .fires took place in the structure,, and . it_ was _.-finally, closed. ' """"•" Cherokee's next theatre was the "Wonderland and this was strictly a' motion picture theatre. It was in the building now occupied 'by the: Green Lantern Cafe and was put in by Henry Ling of. Sutherland. It was sold .several times, the following men trying their luck at the business: Grenville ffcyrtlh, Lee Hunsaker, William Banister, Cyrus White and Will G'uypn. ' ,.-• '••.: .During the run ^of the Wonderland, Dale Goldie put in his.first motion picture show in the,Trahn Building which , is now. Ehlers Lockers. This was operated, with George Olmstead. These theatres -were 1 started about 1911. Next came the Empress, put into operation by Mr. Cumm'ings. .Its ownership was,, transferred to Al Ferris, Mrs. Groan, ! .Max Dref ke, Earl .Hansen, Mr. Worderi and George Norman, i The Dee .theatre was built by Dee Noonan and was operated by him' and Lawrence McCulla. It was just west of what is now the Peterson Garage. The first American Theatre was at what is now the site of the Gildner-Sauer Store. It was put in by' Al and Walter Ferris and later managed by Sisk &. James. In 1920 Sisk & James aneorpor a'ted and_ started construction of what is now the American theatre.' For .several years work was started and stopped on the build- ding. In 1925. it .came into pos session of Dale Goldie, who finished the structure and opened it in June of the year. About 1940, George Norman, wLo .was operating the; .Empress theatre, bouhgt the remains'of-the Grand Opera house and rebuilt it-into what is now the-'Arrow 1 heatre. He, later;...; sold. • to ;the Pioneer theatre circut. . : who. are operating it .at the, present tiime. They, several years . ago,•"; started the Corral Outdoor: theatre north of the city. •".-•. • • In passing, it might be of interest to note that W. R. Griffith, father of Mrs. Dale Goldie, was the first man to bring a motion .picture to Cherokee. At the time, he had a road show .on the road and carried a few reels of film as: a novelty. The machine was set up in the, back of the •opera house and with gas light for power showed "The Devil In The Convent" and- the "Eruption of Mount Pelee," to the delight of the audience. It has been, a far cry from the first mct'oh picture theatre to the two strictly modern ones now in Cherokee The first ones ha^ folding chairs nailed to boards, a piano and peihaps a set of drums The Murat, put in by Dale Goldie; had the . .first regular opera chairs When the American opened in 1925 it boasted, upholstered seats. a seven piece professional orchestra a ndstage effects. It operated this wayf, until. «spund came in during 1929. With the coming of sound, motion pictures jame into their own. At the time it was thought this was the last word, but it wasn't. Color also,came into its own, and now 80 percent of the pictures are color. The next great step was Cine- mascope and stereophonic sound. This gave the audience a much vaster view, taking in' almost three times as much vista or camera area U r also, in -tered- phomc sound, brohght the voice from the place it originated on the screen Much of the music and sound effects came rrofn the auditorium. Todav, with th two theatres in Cherokee everj picture of im portanceNs shown With the wide screens and Cinemascope came a much. better grade of pictures, "and they will continue to improve as every motion picture company is striving to,not only make bigger and better pictures but are continually working on new projection ideas, new methods of photography, and new kinds of sound. The motion picture today is just beginning to hit its stride The'future;will show a continuing advance, .hot only 'in finer pictures ' but in better methods of presentation. <»> All bearded out for the Centenniol are members of the the group are the rural mail carriers, city mail carriers, and the Cherokee Post Office force of 1956 . . . one of the few photos "office force, taken over the years that picture the entire force. Includd in Many of the available photos' of .yesteryear picture Cherokee's Main street, but few of them can be found that show the changes that have taken place as well as the-one above.. Photo was taken from atop a building just east of the Central Trust & Savings Bank ... and shows the south, side of Main street. looking east. On the corner at the intersection where the frame building is shown,' now stands McWilliams Drug store. Across the street to the east now stands the Brummer building. Photo was apparently taken in ihe late 130Q's, ft ft ft ft _ ,- "_ ft ft ft ft- service. Continuing in the New Town there followed: John H. Roe, Henry D. Nye, Z. A. Wellman', Maj. R. M. Smith, James V. Ward, William M. Snell, L. P. Liffring, James A. Henderson, J. T. Hogan, James Payton, L. A. Wiweke, C. M. Sullivan, J. Carl Kennedy (acting pcerm aster), R. G. Knox, J. Karl Kenneady (acting postmaster for a second time), and presently holding the position is W. H. Fishnian who has served in this capacity since 1934. 'In 1874, the post office was made a money order station and the first order was issued to S. T. Richards'Of Chicago by George E. Beebe of Cherokee, in the amount of four dollars and fifty cents. The first rural free delivery route was established on November 1, 1900 and by 1914, ther•' were six routes extending in al directions out of the city. Today there are three rural routes tha' serve approximately tl e sarnr territory m:iuded in the. origina' six. The DC^t. 1 savings dtpartm^n' of the ChVrnkec office was starter 1 in July Of 1911 but did n^t provr very popular in the .beginning as the deposits made were nominal. |' . Parcel' post system went intr effect here on January 1, 1913 and Cherokee was promoted from s third to a second-class office at the same lime, with four city carriers on its staff. The fourth man became necessary by the increase of parcel post business and the inclusion in the system of the state hospital. This carrier was provided with a delivery wagon, properly equipped, which was then termed "a. mounted carrier". , An important service we take for granted today is the daily delivery of mail, regardless -of weather or other existing conditions. Not so with our first county settlers, since Iowa had no railway further west than Iowa City in 1857. They depended solely on the stage-coaches to make a weekly crossing over roadless, bridgeless prairies.. The first post ofiice established in Cherokee county was in the autumn of 1857 at the house of Benjamin Holbrook, on section 26 of what is now Cherokee town- . ship. Mails were supposedly car- ' ned "once each week without fail!" This was done ,by a foot- , man who waded swollen,. si reams . and faced other hazards in order t to deliver his precious cargo. The pioneers were homesick for news- • papers and letters from their far away New England friends. How-1 ever, no one thought of complain- ! •ng, 'no matter if the mail hap-, pened to be eight weeks late, for | a letter was a scarce and greatly j prized article. There was no certain mail service jn the county until the rail-1 road between Dubuque and Sioux City was completed in the summer of 1870, going through Cherokee. This was an eventful decade in the history of our country, containing the occurrance of Indian Wars and the Civil War, and this added to. the eagerness of the settlers for receiving some news of what was happening in the , East and South. The early postmasters in the Old Town were: Benjamin Holr brook, Samuel Parkhurst, A. P. Weber, Carlton Corbett, John -L, Foskett, Solotnan H. Lpckwood and Albert Phipps in order of ft ft ft ft In the spring of 1913, bids" were first advertised for sites on which to build a government post office, but it was not .until 1925 that the present post off ice'was erected at the corner of Second and Willow Streets. About-845, 500.00 was spent in renovating and repairing the post office building in 1953. Postal receipts for'the year 1910 amounted to $15,506.22 as compared to the 1955 figures which totaled $79,361.79. In 1943, postal receipts showed $43,759.65, promoting the local office to first- ft ft ft ft class position by meeting the $40,000.00 requisite figure. • Curerntly there are twenty- two employees carrying on the various services offered by the United States Post Office branch system in-. Cherokee, receiving and dispatching of mail twice daily by railroad, included. In addition, -four different star- routes'serve this office every day except'Sundays and holidays. Although mail service is a government function, the post office is a vital part of every community in the country. Pictured above is the post office force from early in the 1800's . . . one of the old engravings that were found for use iri this special Centennial edition. Exact date of the photo is not known, • •;

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free