Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa on May 31, 1960 · Page 53
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa · Page 53

Publication:
Location:
Cherokee, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, May 31, 1960
Page:
Page 53
Start Free Trial
Cancel

Flood of 1891 ... And The Rain Came ,ane Moore ,urnber Firm lere Since CHET HOLJDEN AT MAIN & ROOSEVELT "It rained . . . and rained . . . and rained" .... The man- talking seemed to speak with-authority. He was,-driving east on Main and his sharp voice, flinging inflections of witticisms, belied his age. Chet Holden, 72, veteran Cherokee resident and former owner of the onetime Holden Monument Works, pulled up alongside the curb at East Main and Roosevelt-. "Get out," he ordered softly . . "I want to,show you something." The intersection looked to an ordinary bystander just like it had on any .other day of this year 1956. But Mr. Holden wasn't any ordinary bystander — and he was not thinking ; about. 1956. The memories: of "this, weather tanned face were taking a retroactive leap back 65 years to — to 1891V- ':'•-. '•'• A,mere-8-year-old wisp of a boy. before:the turn'of the cen- • tury,- -,Ublden was back at-, .the scene, ' of 0- : his not-so-fond... yet memorable recollection: . The 'monstrous disaster-wracking flood of 1891. Holden-aimed, a long finger at the-middle''of the- intersection. There., was nothing there. "Never you mind," he stopped SEE FLOOD STORY IN SECTION & short. "You his company know what?" "What?" : "The floodwaters , were nine feet deep right out there." "Your're kidding, of course." "Heck, no! I'm not kiddin' . . . Now; you see where that filling station site is over there across the street?" Sure." . "Well, that's where our family home was located during the flood . . '. we were flooded out, too." "That . must have been a terrible night.'" "Yes, . and we were all plenty scared . . . -but right here in this '.house across from the filling station behind us (built by Sam"Zwicki, it was still." "How's that?" "Well";. . . and Holden chuckled slyly for a moment at his corn- it—I mean the pan-ion's naivete "You see the horizbn : blackened wjth-angry clouds . . . and the downpoui began. . . . He explained how great banks of storm clouds cluttered in a centralibed " area surroundin^ Cherokee ... Heavy rainstorms hit from here nnrth to abWe the M°riden and Larrab^e sectors And f 11 the water in the Littlp Sioux River and creeks in tha* area helped bulge the depth when it all boiled into this one foca~ point later in the middle of the night. Holden owns a brilliant near•photographic memory of tha night. He- recalls that his father ; anc two men from the Holden Shop helped lead Chefs mother and three children (he was one) awaj from their flood-stricken home at 2. o'clock in the morning. "Where did you go then,". h< was queried. N "We walked up over the wagon bridge (a span' then crossini Railroad Creek on Main) . . . th water was up almost even, .wit: the bridge and it was\ shakin beneath us." ."What then?" "What then ... we got abou 100 feet beyond the bridge whe suddenly someone yelled: " 'There goes the bridge'down stream!' " His father saw that the famil was . cared for properly unde temporary arrangements . . . the began trudging bac"k to the horn on foot. Chefs father, C..B. Holden an well known in this city in thos days, took a circuitous rout Down the railroad grade on the north branch, then wading back down Roosevelt area -to the house. All of the family furniture was carted upstairs and put in safekeeping — other belongings, too. Aill. except carpets—they were tacked to the floor. "We took six inches of silt off those carpets, after the water went down," mused Holden. '• The Holden family home was on a-.grade several feet higher than the point in the middle of the Main-Roosevelt intersection. Yet water reached a depth of five to six feet on the first -floor. How did.it feel trying to get out of that floo'd area? •Chet replied simply: "We felt plenty wet." "Was water?' water—got'to within two inches of the ceiling ... didn't leave much breathin' room." Back in the car and- driving at a slow pace, Holden began retracing his family's steps on that fateful night of catastrophe. "What was it like that day be- .fore. the night of the big rains?" "Well ... at first it was kind of like a day .like all days . , warm, sunny, then breezy and gusty.". ' Holden then went-ahead to tell how when eventide drew near, The local branch of the Lane ioore Lumber Company was arted in Cherokee in 1908 by eorge S. Lane, President of 16 company, W. H. Heywood, ecretary . and M. ,F. Fishman, ice-president. Other locations and branches ticlude: Paten, 1901; Blairsbury, 901; Storm Lake, 1902; Rem- randt, 1902; Albert City, 1905; Vebb, 1905; 'Peterson, 1906; Cher- kee,- 1908; Corwith, ,1909; -take iew, 1912; Schaller, 1913. This company employees thirty- vo men in local -yard No. 4. . Frank Wetrosky was born in lefrill 'arid graduated from the iberty Commercial School. He nd his family moved to Chero- ee in 1933 and he joined the re- ail lumber business in 1938. Mr. Vetrosky 'served in. the U. S. Vrmy from 1944 to 1946. He is ow manager of.the local yard, s well as^auditor of some .of the ther : yards of the. Lane Moore hain. He is a member, of the 'rinity Lutheran Church, the Ihamb'er-' of Commerce and the Ciwanis Club. • '•:. Hall Firnt Has Been In Same Family Slice 1876 -ullfgan Firm Carnie to City In tear 1940 The Culligan Soft Water Ser.'ice was started in 1940 by Ronnie Lewis "who operated from his •jarage. . • ,..'•• Mr. Lewis sold his service to J. R. Nicholson who conducted t out of the basement of his hardware store. He in turn sold it to Ray Stivers who used- the same Ccation until: the -business was lold.-to.R. H. Metier and. E. P. Schneekloth and they moved the quarters to 411 S; Second Street. This enterprise was operated by -one man up to 1946 .... then by two-men until 1954. Now it smiploys two men and a : part- time bookkeeper.- The present owners are R.. H. Metier and E. P. Schneekloth, estate. ;Mr. C. E. Stone' is the local manager. Both owners lived in Spencer, Mr. Metier operating the Culligan Service in Ft, Dodge. - Charles Stone is from- Peterson where . he received ; twelve years of schooling. He served in the Armed Forces during 1946 and 1947 ancf'upon return to civilian life, he was employed as a farmhand, prior to' coming to Cherokee. Since then, he has been the local manager for the Culligan Soft Water Service for five and a half years. This firm has been in the same family for three generations; being established in 1876 by Robert Hall. In 1882, J. C. Hall, a son, was taken into the business and the firm name was changed to R. Hall & Son. Three years later, W. J. Hall, other son, and J. C. Hall formed a partnership and did business under the name of Hall Bros. This lasted up ; to 1888 when W. J. Hall took over as the sole owner and manager. It continued under this name until his death in 1931, and from then until 1954, the firm was known as W. J. Hall Estate, operating for most of those years'as a parnership composed of Mrs. Amy Hall, wife, and Karl W. Hall, son, who had managed the business since 1922. Upon the death of Amy Hall in 1954 Karlk W. Hall became the owner and since then the firm has been doing business under the name of K. W. Hall. . :. ; , During the first ten years, of operation, this firm mainly handled grain and implements. In 1886, grain was dropped and buggies and harnesses were added Seeds were introduced in 1910; as an added line. With the in 4 creasing use of the automobile the sale. of buggies declined so they were eventually discontinued. The tractor replaced horse power on the farm, "so the harness, too, went out. Paint was brought into stock in 1940. At.the present;.time, this firm is 'selling farm equipment and supplies manufactured by New Idea, Western Land Roller,. Ko- ivar ; , Dultmeier, ' Hudson- and many others. They sell all kinds of farm seeds - top quality seeds that grow - fresh bulk garden 'seeds, lawn seeds and supplies. Their paint line is - Minnesota Tested -Quality Paint. Quality merchandise and fair dealing has been their policy throughout the years. The location at 506 W 1 , Mam Street has -served .as their quarters since. 1896: Karl Hall was 1 educated 1 'in ; the Cherokee schools •and attended, .both :Lake Forest College and'the Uhiveristy of Illinois. He also served in the Armed Forces during World. War I. "A Marcus temperance man offered one not so regarded a cow if he would sign the pledge. The pledge was signed, several days passd by and no bossy put in an appearance. 'Milk or beer,' says the now convert, but still no milk was forthcoming. The result was | a return to the beer keg, and | weakened faith in the pledges of, those who don't drink, as well as of those who do." March 28, 1878 Eighty-Seven '" Year History For Local Firm Caleb E. Hobart started in the lumber business at Cherokee during the year of 18615. A little Over a year later, he and Cyrus Snyder formed a partnership, Mr. Snyder having engaged in the coal trade prior to the union. This firm built a' large grain elevator that season and also an office suitable for both branches of their business. Cherokee then was the central trading" point o£ a territory having a radious of seventy-five miles and the business interests were indeed immense. The counties of Woodbury, O'Brien, Ida, Buc-na Vista and Osceola all did j most of their trading at Cherokee, t'o be fully equipped for business, the above firm, built a second grain elevator In 1872. Its size ivas 30 x 50 feet, 40 feet high and the combined storage capacity of two 'grain houses was 35,000 bushels. Steam power was cm- ployed to propel the elevator machinery after horse power was abandoned. The steam boiler burned the refuse, thus holding its own. At this time the market outlets were Chicago and Milwaukee. In the ' '10s, farmers would pull up to the grain elevator with horse-drawn wagons, Hobart and Snyder would bid on the grain, Ihen it would be scooped off by hand. Hobart was the official weigher and Snyder did the buying. The grain would be shovelled off and weighed in the hopper. Steele interest purchased the firm in 1888 and a succession of managers followed, they being: Anthony Graham, J. A. Merrill, J. J. Matthew, T, C. -Allison, Clarence Jenkins and V. C. Pierce . who is also the present manager. The firm still owns an old black scoop which was patented in 1881 and strange as it may seem, the original phone number oi' 23 has never been changed. Added expansions through the years have included corn crimper, seed oafs cleaner and treater, trucking service, fertilizer spreading, and farm chemical spraying service. The Cherokee Grain and Feed Co. policy has always been to give the best service possible The Chieftain Feeds Company is a new firm being established by 'Dale Thomas in 1952. This feed manufacturing company employs fifteen personnel, locally, managed by Mr. Thomas. . He is a graduate of the Mar- shaltown schools, later attending Drake University in Des Moines and ;Milliken University in Decatur, Illinois. Dale 'has been in ithe feed business for twenty- three years, being associated with the Pillsbury Mills in Clinton iprior to his establishment Cherokee. there quite a bit of "Well ... from a part of the business district, to the east hill it was all one big stream—almost a mile wide." , "Remember anything unusual —offbeat like?" "No, but father saw something." "What?" ' "A pig." -"What's so unusual about that?" "This pig came floating by our house around the corner . . . riding on top of a barn door . . . He w.as eating corn . . . Guess he forgot -about the flood" . . The Bushlow Implement Com>any was established in 1919 and vas then known as ' Lamont & Sushlow being located where it s today, at 503 West Elm Street, Cherokee. In 1930, the firm name became Bushlow & Dixon by reason of changes an the partnership. Again n 1931, the title, of this business concern changed to E. E. Bushlow 'rnplement and in 1946, the present name.of Bushlow Impleemnt Company was adopted. The owners of this company are E. E. Bushlow, Robert Bushow and Lyle Poulson, having increased their staff of employees "rom two in 1919, to six at the present writing. Times, Dec. 23, 1870 Medical news of some 85 yean ago contradicts the present theory that there are no apparent advantages obtained from smoking Professor LeGros Clark, in his lectures before the Royal College of Surgeons oi' England reported a gratifying account in connection with medicine and tobacco He says that the non-union of t fractured leg was traced to the patient's being deprived of his usual allowance of tobacco, which was forbidden by the rules of the hospital where he was being •treated. As soon, however, as th smoking was permitted the bone, began, to join, and the man go well. fe- The above photo was taken in the days before the Illinois Central railroad came through this country. The two six-horse teams were pastured during a rest in a field near Washta. No other means of transporting freight was available in those days. No identification has been found for the driver pictured, although attempts .have,been,made throughjhe years.,.,: _, r _ The Rath Livestock Buying Office Phone 246 INTERNATIONAL HARVEST AHANA - Freezers, Kefrigeralors, Air-Conditioners Co. 503 WEST ELM

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free