Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa on May 31, 1960 · Page 49
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa · Page 49

Publication:
Location:
Cherokee, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, May 31, 1960
Page:
Page 49
Start Free Trial
Cancel

First Hospital Was A : Five-Bed Emergency Unit Established By Dr. Cleaves As early as 1S9.6, the growing community of Cherokee felt the urgent need of a hospital for the use of its doctors and their ^patients." . • .' ; It was this $ame year that C. O. Seaman established his sanitarium in Cherokee.' Not until / 1903'did we have a medical and surgical 'hospital. This was built by Drs. Edward and Freeman Jiornibrook. In .1914, Dr. P. B. Cleaves opened' a five-bed emergency hospital to better accommodate his patients. But none of these facil- ijies proved adequate enough to give continued service to an increasing .populace. By the year 1915, enough interest had been roused to call a meeting on October 19 at which 44 citizens were present. Their sole purpose was to .give generously of their time and effort towards the building of a permanent, self - supporting hospital .which would ''meet .all the ethically prescribed standards. The first executive committee was named at this gathering, and it consisted of W. A. Sanford, Nestor Stiles, Walter -P. McCulla, Rose ' Donovan \yith,. James • F. Weart serving as first president. ' It was decided at this same meeting that the' 1 'site on North Second Street, donated by Dr. •Pritchard on which to build the_ , hospital, be accepted and that anyone who contributed $25 or ',- more to tile -fund become a member of the Sioux Valley Hospital Association. The cornerstone-laying 'ceremony, took place on May 12, 1916 w.itli, Dr. Hprnibropk doing the honors and ,Guy 'M. Gillette speaking on the history of the hospital movement. A drive for funds had netted $31,000 in subscriptions but after the original building was erected, there remained a debt of $14,000. In order to meet operating expenses the first months, $24,000 was borrowed which .left a combined debt of $3S,000 to be met by the hospital association. The first few years were difficult, But aided by some bequests the association was able' to retire its initial obligation. Observance Hospital Day was observed on May 12, 1921. This has now become an annual affair intended to better acquaint the people with their hospital and its workings. Prominently identified in the tireless early hospital campaigns as recorded in the old hospital files are these names, many of them now deceased: T. D. Campbell, W. A. Sanford, M. J. Gil. leas. F. I. Gardner, Charles Heline, G. S. Delaplane, Ed I-Iux- ford, Dr. P. B. Cleaves, Dr. R. C. Seaman, J. A. Champion, William F. Huber, James F. Weart, F. G. Stanosheck, Dr. W. A. Howard, F. A. Colby, P. M. Peterson, G. VV. McNcal, J. II. Schuster, C. J. Larkin, Nestor L. Stilus, Rose Donovan, I-I. W. Gould, C. J. Mahr, Mrs. George Jones, Chailes Nicholson, Mary Hornibrook* A. W. McKenny, Walter P. McCulla, Mrs. Thomas Fee, W. P. Dawson, H. H. Toman, Justin ' Barry, Dr. George Donahue, Dr. C. H. Hall, Dr. J. H. Bur- lingamo, Dr. J. H. Merrick, E. S. Betsworth. Harriet Sage was the first patient for the new hospital, being admitted for minor surgery. Karl Herrick became the second patient — he having to undergo major surgery. Miss Hazel Johnson served as first superintendent of the hospital but only for four months, when sickness forced her retirement. Mrs. Heller, then Grace Troy, took over the position. She remained v as hospital' head for tv/o years, then left to be married to the late Ted Heller. Grace Heller returned to her former position on June 1, 1929 and has continued in that capacity ever since — a total of almost 30 years. , The .first year of its operation', the hospital received 308 patients as compared to the 2,894 admitted in 1955. A meeting was called on May 16, 1944, to discuss the growing need for an addition to the original building. At that time a financial committee was appointed to again solicit funds for the addition and improvement of the hospital. Those named were: Meyer Wolff, Lester Ary '..and Dr. W. E. Simonsen. A year, 'later, the following building committees \\eie appointed E F. Betsworth, Fred Morrison, Glenn Champion, Jame.s Dunn, "P. O. McWilliams, Sr., Dr. L; J. Spinharney, Grace Heller, The new addition was opened for public inspection on July 1, 1951. It boasts a bed-capacity of 65 with an emergency capacity of 75 as compared to the original 29 beds. The exterior'is an impressive, modernistic design of light-toned brick and the'in- terior leaves little to be .desired in the line of equipment, atmosphere, convenience or efficiency. V Auxiliary From the beginning of the association, the Ladies Hospital Auxiliary has been an indispensable aid. Here, .too, one must of necessity mention the names of those whose service- has been invaluable: Lester Ary who has held the longest continual service on the board, of directors, haying served continuously since 1930; Dr. W. E. Simonsen whose family, gave greatly of their time and their finances to the project; Meyer Wolff who is to be commended for his excellent work as chairman of the finance committee all during {he construction of-the new addition; Glen Champion who has carried the load of responsibility for the entire construction program as president of the board of trustees since 1934; Waiter McCulla who has contributed much toward the progros of .the hospital since its very beginning. Never to be forgotten is a wonderful personality, known and loved by /nany during his long years > of devoted service, both to the hospital and to the people of our community. He is Dr. C. H. Johnson who, although retired, is still vitally interested in the progress of the hospital and never denies it a great deal of his time and knowledge. He has donated many pieces of valuable equipment to the hospital, including the first complete X-ray department. Today, from the original committee of 16, five are chosen to serve as. the executive committee, which meets once a month and they are presently: James Dunn, president; Fred Morrison, vice - president; Mrs. George Hicks, secretary; Glen Champion, P. O. McWilliams, Sr. The board of directors meets once yearly or more often if necessary. Sioux Valley Memorial -Hospital has as its only source of income the fees which it receives from its patients. The legacy left it was on April 18, 1941 and it amounted to $2,500. For a birds- eye view of the hospital's financial condlion you quote the 19.55 statistics: Total income — $272,265.69; Total expense — $266,049.18; Net gain — $6,230.51 which is a far cry from what is actually needed to keep up the depreciation on equipment and buildings, Total salaries paid in the year-1955 to its 65 steady and 20 .. part-time employes amounted to $172,489.62. A complete X-ray and laboratory department has been added in recent years, employing- four full-time technicians and one full-time radiologist. Some.of the employes with the longest terms of service .are: Mrs. Edith Baker who has served as kitchen supervisor for 13 years; Mrs. Beulah Powell who has been head nurses-aide on the obstetrics floor for 26 years and last but surely not least is Richard Peterson, affectionately known as Pete, who has worked as hea,d-maintenance man since 194.4. There are 12 other persons who have served on the hospital staff for five years or more. Dr. J. H. Wise is the hospital's senior staff member, having the longest active service record. He is a native of Cherokee County and a graduate of the University 'of Iowa. Dr. James Wise then took his internship at City Receiving Hospital in Detroit, later becoming resident surgeon of the same hospital. In 1925, he came here to start his practice and has earned prominence throughout! Northwest Iowa for his skills both as a general practitioner and surgeon of note. There are presently 23 other doctors on the hospital staff, they being: Drs. Don C. Koser, Harmon, D. Scely, Charles L. Seaman, W. C. Brinegar, James B. Blair, Jeremiah F. Lawlor, Harlow J. Fishman, H. Charles Ellsworth, C."£. Broderick — all of Cherokee; Richard D. Berge, Aurelia; W. E. Weems, Paullina; R.obert E. Underriner, Hoi- stein; Daniel Sullivan, Sutherland; Andrew. D. Smith, Primghar; Joseph Simmons, Paullina; Russell P. Noble, Alta; M. F. Joynt, Marcus; James W. Martin, Holstein; C. W! Ilile, Cleg- j horn;, Milford D. Hayden, Marj cus; M. W. .Grubb, Galva; E. B. • Getty, Primghar; John E. Dahl-. bo, Sutherland. Membership on the medk-dl staff is restricted to physicians and surgeons who are graduates of medicine of an acceptable medical school with a degree of doctor ' of medicine in good standing and legally licensed to practice in their respective states. They must be competent in their fields, worthy in .character and rn professional ethics. This staff hold's regular monthly conferences during which cases arc reviewed and analyzed. The hospital must keep', accurate and complete records of all patients. Some 8,593 babies have been born at the hospital since its | beginning in 1916, 518 of which j were delivered in 1955. | Equipment and funds for the present Siou.x Valley Memorial Hospital have- been furnished almost entirely by the people I and organization-; of Cherokee County. The original group which met to organize the first ;hospital could not have forseen the beautiful building which graces this city today Sioux Volley Hospital Before Expansion FOUNTAIN HOUSE Dr. Gee apparently was having his troubles too, for in the same issue of the paper that announced , his appointment as director of the well, a legal notice was printed in which his wife filed notice for a divorce. It was apparently at this point that Mr. Satterlee somehow lost control of the Magnetic well. However, it continued to thrive and in October, the stone foundation for the hotel was completed and the building was started. Railroads continued to give excursion rates to the newly formed Midwest spa, and thousands came from considerable distances to take .part in big celebrations held there. The Fountain House grounds were beautified by planting of numerous shade trees, and an artificial lake was produced nearby and fed from the overflow of the well. An advertising circular set forth in glowing terms the beneficial effects of Cherokee Magnetic Mineral Water. Under the heading "Those Who Can Be Benefited" it listed the "overworked professional or businessman who finds bis physical and mental energies failing, his memory impaired and his nights sleepless." Help was also offered to the "woman, whose nervous system has been overtaxed by watching (?) anxiety or the exactions of society." No further comment was made as to what the .women had been watching. . The hotel .in connection with the sanitarium was used not only by patients, but those in robust health and wealth who came a long way to enjoy the peaceful surroundings. It; has been said that the local swains temporarily forsook the home-town gals to squire visiting daughters of affluent health-and-pleasurer seekers at the Fountain House. When Dr. Gee departed in the mid 1880's, the Fountain House temporarily closed. The resort department of the enterprise reopened in ,1889. Stables and a grandstand previously constructed were put into use by'members -of 'the' Cherokee (Continued From Page Two) Horsemen's Association. The race track and nearby camping ./grounds continued to draw, crowds" for",soldiers';-reunions, public gatherings- on holiday occasions,. : and the once popular Chaiitauqua teri.t shows:'...:•• Frank Surles, longtime 'Cherokee'' •resident, and grandfather of Bob Dunn played 'a';, part in the Fountain House activities, during 'the era of its revival as a pleasure resort. : ; Surles, then a'boy.in his, teens, was efnployed by Al Dodds as a cook_ at the PJaymdnd ; |Jouse in dowtown Cherokee. Surles said' that^Dgf ds took guests at his hotel to the Fountain-:H9Use hotel for Sunday dinner. He would' go along to assist with the meal. . In the horse and buggy days, people came from . all points in the nation by train. Special busses were run from the depot to the. Fountain House, conveying the out-ofrtown guests. . ;. Burroughs', who had plotted the''Magnetic Addition as Burroughs Park once planned to give the land to the city. However, litigation over the property caused him., to change-his intentions. He sold the buildings and grounds to George S. Jones of Cherokee. ,- ^ John Ogilvy purchased it from the Jones estate in 1928. At that '-.time only half of, the original buildings remained,..as Jones had .started tearing: them down.,In. 1934, Ogilvy, completely removed the old structures. •• Only two years ago, a man from Ohio made:a special trip to Cherokee .to check the possibility . of reviving the former'.health .spa -..and-had. hoped to dig for .mineral springs. However, such a project had been considered and found to be impractical.. .,- ''.•;•"• ."•-.';'" . Thus, though .its .fame stiH:lingers,-the,-"miracle spring's" that George ; Satterlee discovered that day in -1879 and the Fountain' House ;:that was later constructed, :,are,Destined. ;tq remain just a , memory.., - .rr.e.a.^ea.:^ some of its latter-day :gazety: '.-:"; '-1 />*&* ;£k*j a^****® When you make plans for repairing, modernizing or building, it will pay you to get acquainted with us! We feature a complete selection of t finest quality building materials. We will be glad to make a free estimate of needed supplies Lane Co.

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free