Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa on May 31, 1960 · Page 41
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Cherokee Daily Times from Cherokee, Iowa · Page 41

Publication:
Location:
Cherokee, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, May 31, 1960
Page:
Page 41
Start Free Trial
Cancel

First Meeting To Organize A Library Was Held In A Church In 1886 Henry Drummond says that, "To fall in love with a good book is one of the greatest events that can befalii us. It is to have a new influence pouring itself into our life, a:new teacher to'inspire and refine-us, a new friend to^be by our side always, who, when life grows narrow and weary, will take us into a calmer and higher world." To this we might add that no one can become the friend of even one good book - whether it be biography, history, poetry, religion; science or just a novel without emerging ' much wiser than before. Perhaps this same thought instigated a'.few:women to meet at the Congregational Church in Cherokee on the' afternoon of September 22, 1886 because their purpose was : .to discuss the ways and means for organizing a local library; A stock, company was organized'.in accordance .with the provisions of Chapter 2 Title IX, of the Code of Iowa of 1873 and its amendments. 'Trie-'articles of- incorporation were.drawn up-arid presented to • the '-'association by attorney M. Wakefield, who. .was also a firm supporter of the library and its directors. *'Articles, of the . constitution stipulated that the name of the organization was to be the Cherokee Ladies' Library Association arid •that the object of this group would be to/pro.cure' a library of works in all departments of literature for the use of all who wished to comply with .the terms prescribed. They authorized literary and musical entertainments and future establishment of a reading room. It was also stated that any person could become a member of this -corporation by the payment of five dollars. V An Old. View Of Cherokee's Library The first officers of the association were: President, Mrs. C. K.' Butler; Vice-President, Mrs;. Wakefield; Secretary, Mrs. T. S. Ingersol; Treasurer, ...Mrs. Hall, who with Mrs. J. H. Burlingame, Mrs. C, H. Kellogg, Mrs. A. 'H, Smith, Mrs. J. C. Hall and Mrs. N. T. Burroughs, constituted the first board of direct9rs. There were only twelve charter members and although the organization's membership, never became large, those concerned were thoroughly in earnest and gave generously of their efforts toward the maintenance of a community library. There was a yearly fee of one dollar charged for the use of the books besides the money received from : life members. The books borrowed could be retained two weeks with renewal privileges. Fifty donated books and the purchase of S120 worth more made the grand total stock of our first library. At this time the Y.M.C.A. was trying to become established, in Cherokee, so .they offered the use of their rooms in exchange for the use of the library books. The oiifer was 'ac- cepted and the library opened .to the public. First librarians were the members of the board but soon theijy.M.C.A. disbanded and the library found itself without a home.' 'This necessitated the renting of a room, the rent' of which was me by the annual fees of readers. However, all money needed^for other purposes had to be raised by entertainments, sponsored by the board. These were not always successful, some even showing : deficits, but-the w.omeri never : despaired. Perversity only seemed to make them stronger and more determined to continue . ..their worthwhile project. They, struggled on for twelve years, adding a few new books when possible. The number of readers slowly increased and the community became reconciled to the fact that the library had come to stay. The city council was asked to submit the question of a tax levy.in;.January, 1898. They were presented a petition, stating the benefits of a free public library and urged to raise the issue of one-mill tax to a vote by the people. The vote was taken in the enriches our ability 10 serve U<f From a business founded approximately 67 years ago, Ihe Boothby Funeral Home, has grown into an institution known for its unusually high ideals of service. It was near 1889, when D. W. Adron founded, what is today the Boothby Funeral Home. He conducted as a furniture store and in 1900, A. O. Scott, entered into the "• furniture and undertaking business, taking over Mr. Adron's interests. Mr. Scott sold,his business to W. L. E. Appleyard, who operated it until 1912 when he disposed of the furniture part of the business, retaining his .undertaking interest. In 1927, Mr. Appleyard sold his undertaking business to Mr. John A. Wallace. At that time MT. T. D. Boothby, Sr. became asssocitaed with him, and in 1930 Mr. Boothby became a partner in the business. InM940, Mr. Boothby acquired Mr. Wallace's interest, and operated as sole owner until he was joined in partnership by'his 'son, Thomas, Jr. in 1947. Through the years the Boothby Funeral Home has maintained a program of modernization so that the latest type 'of equipment and facilities are always at the disposal of our patrons. ' ' ; ' In order that our ideals may be perpetuated -that the dignity, beauty/and completeness of a Boothby service shall bring a measure of comfort to those we serve, we dedicate oursleves to those who call us in the time of need. BOOTHBY FUNERAL HOME i "An Organization^ Thjtf -Sei^es^ancl Serves." j, • /; * spring and was carried by a small majority. By July mayor Rarikins lad appointed, nine trustees' and n October the books and furniture of the association were formally presented to the city. • The Cherokee 'Free Public -library' was formally opened on December 31, 1898 with 1,641 volumes in stock and the following officers: President, Mrs. J. H. Burlingame; vice-president, Mrs. T.' S.- trrgersol; secretary ,Mrs. M. Wakefield. During this same year, 544 reader's ; cards went out and the demand for a reading room became apparent. Such a room v/as opened in April, 1900 and some eight hundred people used this room for reference and study before the end s pf the year. The next four years activities were hampered by lack-of funds and space. The library had been classified and catalogued according to approved methods but the need of a permanent structure was pressing, and two afternoons a week did not render the best of service to.the literary needs of a growing community. There was a man by the name of Carnegie, who for severafl.years had donated to towns and cities enough money for the erection of tain the library by voting .a tax library buildings, on condition that they would agree to main-' amounting to ten percent of his donation. In 1903 the city of Cherokee wrote to Mr. Carnegie asking for 810,000. Soon after, the" board called the mayor and . council, the board of trustees and other interested, parties to a meeting at which Mr. Carnegie's proposition "was considered and the procurement of a suitable building site was instigated. By June of the following year, the site had been secured and plans had been drawn. In August of 1904, the contract was let to Hansen & Lambken of New" Hampton, la. they being the lowest bidders. An additional gift of $2,000 was received from Mr. Carnegie for furniture and fixtures. A littie later, the Cherokee Improvement Federation raised 'money to finish some, small rooms in the basement, .one of .which was used as a club room. A year or two later. the city itself furnished the money to complete the balance of the basement. The new building was formally opened in May, 1905, Miss Jessie Swem serving in the capacity of first librarian. In 1913, a new department was started for the children ... a room in which they could play games and be further instructed by the telling of stories. This department was conducted by Miss Ethel Dickinson and Miss Lela Delaplane. During the years, donated _books have been added to the 'meager early collection until today, they number 20,000 books and 5,041 borrowers cards, with a circulation in 1955 of 33,346., Miss 'Bessie Fensler has served as librarian since August, 1924 and'Mrs. Irene Leeds as children's librarian since November, 194-2. The persent board is made up of the following: Mrs. J. Albert Fritz, Mrs. George -Hicks, Mrs. W. P. McCulila, Mrs. L. C. Hodgen, Dr. C. H. Johnson, Mrs. C. D. Allison, Mr. R: T. Steele and Mr. L. C. Ary The budget for 1956 is $12,000, including $4,000 for installation of new fixtures and furniture. ffhqi jperserve^ance od! the originators of the library movement deserves our. deepest appreciation ... The lack of it would have easily robbed Cherokee of its finger-tip access to higher learning. REA Had Start In This County Back In 1938 This is a recount of an idea which brought light and power to farm homes in Cherokee County. It begins with a telegram which reads: "Rural Electrification Administration today approved new allotment one hundred and thirty thousand dollars , to Cherokee Rural Electric Cooperative Association, Cherokee, • Iowa." And with these'words, on January 19. 1939, the R.E.A. in Cherokee became a reality; back of them, however, were nearly two years of patient planning and hard work. The first Organization took place in May of 1938. Two months later, on July 9th, it was incorporated with James Fee, Jess Mason,; James Brady, Earl Crippen, Roy Little, Alfred Schmillen, Harry Pingle, Albert Peterson andj J. J. Walker as members of the , Board of Directors; Alfred Schmillen being" elected first president. A membership drive was held but two proposed projects were rejected, because of insufficient density, before the third was finally given the official stamp of approval. By it, 116 miles of line were authorized. The next-two months were important ones for the local R.E.A. . . . Glenn Dull was named supervisor of the project, Marie Rupp was selected as secretary-bookkeeper . and the first office was set up on 235 W. Maple Street. Meanwhile, the contract -for line construction had been let and long lines of stakes were being driven into place. Farmers watched with interest as the first poles went up and the long lines of wire were swung into iplace on the cross-arms. Folks all over the county awaited the coming of rural electric power with an eagerness surpassed only by the enthusiasm of new plans and predictions. At last the day arrived! About noon on Tuesday, November 23, 1939, a meter was installed at the Cosgrove Bros, farm, about a mile north of the substation, and from then on began the electrification of first 15, then 30, then 90, and finally all of the homes on the line. ' By,..mid-July, the cooperative had Secured: an additional allotment of Sl'25,000 for construction of 122 more miles of line to serve 235 new members. Six months later, against the background of new excitement and pride as lights winked on hi yard after PUSHBALL CONTEST .... There have been'Smany special events held in Cherokee during the years. Pictured above is a "Pushball Contest" held on a downtown street back in 1921 or 1922. Occasion for the contest is not known. yard along-the lines of the sec- "ond project, the R.E.A. held its second annual meeting. This time, over 100 members were present to again sweep into office substantially the same group of men which had pioneered the movement. ' ^ ' During the summer of 1940, plans vvere made for development of a third project and on August 3rd, following the allotment of 359,000, the contract for the construction of this project was also approved. More miles of line were subsequently built by the cooperative's own construction crew. All during this lime, potential members along the lines were being connected, a considerable increase in the use of electric appliances in the farm home took place and the progress of the R.E.A. in Cherokee County moved forward.by leaps and bounds. Today, the R.E.A. offices are housed in a new, modern-architectural building on N. 5th St., in which they located in December of 1951. The number ot employees has increased from five to ten in the last few years. The first energization took place, as herein slated, in 1939 over a 133 mile area and serviced 225 farms, with an average consumption of"41.6 KWH per month. Today, they boast 619 miles of line and 1500 consumers, with an ' average'' of ' ; 514'' KWH per 'consumer. Mr. A/Pi. Hagestrand, the present .manager, assumed his duties on March 1, 1941, succeeding Mr. Glenn Dull upon the lattcr's resignation as superintendent.. Mr. j Hagestrand had been previously j employed by the Buell & Winters j Engineering firm in Sioux City, j Iowa, as resident engineer on' construction of the first and third projects here. The present Board of Directors consisits of the following men: Alfred Schmillen,. President; Edmond Radke, Vice- President; Roy Little, Treasurer; James Fee, Secretary; Bert Heinen, Cliff Chapman, Axel Anderson, Roy Lundell and Roy Nelson. Of these, three were on the original organization board and are. still serving in the same capacity, namely, Alfred Schmillen, Roy Little and James Fee. Perhaps we can best summarize the purpose of R.E.A. by quoting a portion of the motto which is inscribed on a plaque that adorns the entrance of their building: "To advance the position of agricullure - to enrich the life of the community - to free men and women from the heavy drugery of the home and farm -". - Howard Anderson Insurance Agency Howard L. Anderson operates SL general insurance agency at 223% W. Main Street in Cherokee, which he established in 1953. H.e.is a life, resident oM:his county and employs one person, besides himself. Mr. Anderson states that the insurance companies of today have broadened their coverages as compared to yesteryears. Gilchrist Agency ' Here Since 1932 : Mr. John M. Gilchrist deals in dependable insurance of all kinds. He started, his independent agency in'1932, as a-part time occupation, but in 1941, he became established as a full time representative in the insurance field; His business is located in Cherokee, with his home address serving the purpose of office quarters, at 815 Wiest Cedar Street. John Gilchrist was originally from Van Buren County, Iowa, until the year ,1930,. when he came to Cherokee. He is a graduate of Chillicothe Business College and the State University of Iowa. While at Iowa State, he worked afternoons as a stenographer in a, law office, from 192C until 1930.- Upon his arrival in CherokeeV he- assumed the duties of Commercial; Instructor at Wilson High School, which position he held up to his resignation in the spring of 1941. Between 1942 -..1943, he served in the United States Airforce. Today, Mr. Gilchrist is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and a well known figure in our city. "Big" John, as he is affectionately called, uses the "Golden. R.ule" as his motto. Cherokee Times'- May'31st. 1872 Application 'has-been made to have the road leading from Seq- ond Street across the river continued on the south side of the "river. Bierbaum In . Insurance Field Since 1929 Elmer CX Bierbaum became a part-time" "insurance agent, in Cherokee, on May. of 1929 and continued his business in this capacity..until May of 1936, when he became a full-time agent. Mr. /'Bierbaum is a native of Griswold,' Iowa, and a graduate of Ipwa s State College, where he earned his B. S. Degree, in 1924. He served as a Physics teacher, Chemistry teacher and-Wrestling Coach, from 1925 until 1936. Today, he is a life member of the Iowa' Quarter Million Club and he has been a member of the Union Central Half Million Club for the last twelve years. He is now the District Agent for the Unidn Central Life Ins. Co., which believes that, "Shadows fall behind you when you walk toward the light" and therefore uses this as its motto. Union Central also uses, "Security for the American Family since 1870" as its sub-head. Elmer O. Bierbaum Is a past president of the Rotary Club, a member of * r the "Masonic" ; Lodgc and he serves on the Official Board of the" Methodist Church. SINCE LEE M. MILLER A. I. McCLINTOCK THE BEST IN SERVICE • THE BEST IN COMPANIES INSURANCE

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free