The Salina Journal from Salina, Kansas on January 24, 1986 · Page 10
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Salina Journal from Salina, Kansas · Page 10

Publication:
Location:
Salina, Kansas
Issue Date:
Friday, January 24, 1986
Page:
Page 10
Start Free Trial
Cancel

On the Record ••••••^•^^•^•••••••••••••^••IMBM^B^MB Deaths & funerals The Salina Journal Friday, January 24,1986 Page 11 Edward L. Savoy The funeral for Edward L. Savoy, 62, 1515 N. Fifth, will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Ryan Mortuary, the Rev. Paul Hesser officiating. Burial will be in Roselawn Memorial Park. Mr. Savoy died Wednesday, Jan. 22, at Asbury Hospital. He was born April 19, 1923, in Artesia, N.M. He was a welder and had moved to Salina from Denver last year. He was a member of the Boilermakers Union and the Certified Welders Society. His wife, Alberta M., died in October. Survivors include two sons, Gayle Savoy of Los Angeles and Dennis Doty of Denver; two daughters, Karen Crowell of the home and Janet Livesay of Denver; a brother, Harold Savoie of Jal, N.M.; four sisters, Gladys Thompson and Toots Fry, ; both of Jal, Mrs. Buck Skaggs of Graces, N.M., and Mrs. Blackie Sutton of Glendale, Ariz.; 16 grandchildren and three great- grandchildren. Memorials may be made to the American Lung Association. Friends may call at the mortuary. Barbara Eisenhardt Barbara Eisenhardt, 85,1213 Park, died Wednesday, Jan. 22, at Asbury Hospital after a long illness. Mrs. Eisenhardt was born Sept. 22, ; 1900, in Aalen, Germany. She came to the United States in 1974. Survivors include four sons, Erwin, Eugen, Helmut and Adolf, all of Stuttgart, Germany; a daughter, Emmaly Reed of Salina; 10 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. The funeral will be at 10 a.m. : Saturday at the Roselawn Mortuary Chapel, the Rev. Charles Baldwin officiating. Burial will be in Roselawn Memorial Park. A wake service will be held at 7 p.m. today at the mortuary, Monsignor John George Weber officiating. Visitation is at the mortuary. Ramona A. Lerma WARREN, Mich. — Ramona A. Lerma, 56, Warren, died Tuesday, Jan. 21, in Warren. Mrs. Lerma was born Nov. 24,1929, in San Diego, Calif. She was a homemaker and a former Ellsworth resident. Survivors include her husband, Carmen of the home; three sons, Lawrence and Anthony, both of • Warren, and Michael of Cannon Beach, Ore.; a daughter, Andrea Lerma of Burmingham, Mich.; her Grain parents, Joe and Clara Peppiatt of Wilson; a brother, Frank Peppiatt of Lyons; and two sisters, Betty Jo Culley of San Fransisco, Calif., and Jean Leal of Ellsworth. A graveside service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Kanopolis Cemetery, the Rev. Charles Steier officiating. Visitation is from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. today and from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the Grubb-Parsons Funeral Home, Ellsworth. Bea Markley Bea Markley, 67,2196 Wesley, died Wednesday Jan. 22, at home after a long illness. Mrs. Markley was born Sept. 10, 1918, at Solomon. She was a certified professional secretary and worked for many years in several Salina law firms as a legal secretary. For the past 18 years, she was the administrative assistant to the president at Marymount College. She also had been the executive secretary to the Marymount Board of Trustees. She was a member of the St. Mary's Queen of the Universe Catholic Church. Survivors include her husband, Frank of the home; a son, William T. of Benicia, Calif.; two brothers, Gordon Meagher of Solomon and John Meagher of 721S. llth. The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at the St. Mary's Queen of the Universe Catholic Church, with Monsignor Armand Girard and the Revs. Bill Surmeier, Everett Diederich, Melvin Long, Frank Coady and John Lahey officiating. Burial will be in the Mt. Calvary Cemetery, Solomon. A rosary will be said at 7:30 p.m. today at the Geisendorf Rush Smith Funeral Home. The family suggests memorials to the Bea Markley Scholarship Fund at Marymount, or to Hospice of Salina. Visitation is at the funeral home. Helen Louise Hein DURHAM — Helen Louise Hein, 57, died Tuesday, Jan. 21, at her home in Durham. Mrs. Hein was born Sept. 3,1928, in Lubbock, Texas. She was a homemaker and part-time waitress. She was a member of the Church of God and the Home Circle Club, both of Durham. Survivors include her husband, Leeroy of the home; two sons, James and David, both of Durham; a daughter, Wanda Swonger of Newton; two brothers, Leland Gray of Livestock Clayton, N.M., and Lyndon Gray of St. Vrain, N.M.; a half-brother, Terrell Gray of Boise City, Okla.; two sisters, Hope Horton of Spokane, Wash., and Zane Davis of Dalhart, Texas; and three grandchildren. The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at the First Baptist Church, Durham, the Revs. Harvey Friez and G.S. Warkentine officiating. Burial will be in the Durham Park Cemetery. Memorials may be made to the Church of God. Visitation is today at the Goertz Funeral Home, Hillsboro. The Marion County Sheriff's Department has ruled Mrs. Hein's death a suicide. Carrie Brown Carrie Brown, 86, Windsor Estates Nursing Home, died Wednesday, Jan. 22, after a long illness. Miss Brown was born Aug. 14,1899, in Morris County and had lived in Salina since 1917. She was a member of the First United Methodist Church. Survivors include two brothers, Herbert L., 901 Millwood and Ralph, 649 Prescott; one sister, Mabel I. Brown, 2601E. Crawford; and several nieces and nephews. The funeral will be at 2 p.m. today at the Geisendorf Rush Smith Funeral Home, the Rev. Omer Tittle officiating. Burial will be in the Gypsum Hill Cemetery. The family suggests memorials be made to the First United Methodist Church. Friends may call today at the funeral home until the hour of the service. CHICAGO (AP) — Futures trading on the Chicago Board of Trade Thursday: Open High low Last Chg. WHEAT 5,000 bu minimum; dollars per bushel Mar 3.24 3.26 3.22V. 3.25'/i +.03% May 2.89 1 /. 2.92V, 2.89 1 /. 2.92'/4 +.02 Jul 2.74V, 2.75 2.71'/4 2.73% + .00'/< Sep 2.74'A 2.74V. 2.71% 2.74% +.01% Dec 2.83 2.84 2.81 2.83% +.01% CORN 'Mar 2.48% 2.48% 2.47V, 2.48'/4 +.OOV, May 2.50 2.50V, 2.49V, 2.50% —.00% Jul 2.49V4 2.49% 2.48 2.48% —.00V, Sep 2.27% 2.27% 2.26% 2.27V, —.00% Dec 2.20V. 2.21 2.20 2.21 +.00% Mar 2.29% 2.30 .2.29% 2.30 +.OOV, May 2.33V, 2.34 2.33V, 2.34 +.OOV, OATS Mar 1.30'/, 1.30V, 1.29% 1.29V, —.01 V, May 1.31 1.31V, 1.30V, 1.30V, —.01 Jul 1.28% 1.28% 1.28% 1.28 —.00% Sep 1.24% 1.24% 1.24% 1.24% +.00% SOYBEANS Mar 5.41V, 5.43 5.36V, 5.39 —.01V, May 5.51 5.53 5.47 5.48% —.02 Jul 5.58V, 5.61V, 5.55V, 5.57V, —.02 . Aug 5.59 5.59 5.55 5.56 —.00V, • Sep 5.37V, 5.39 5.36 5.37 —.00V, Nov 5.31 5.32V. 5.28V, 5.31% +.OOV, ' Jan 5.41 5.42V, 5.40 5.41V. ' Mar 5.51 5.53 5.49V, 5.51V, —.00V, CHICAGO (AP) — Wheat futures closed higher but other grains and soybeans were mostly lower Thursday at the Chicago Board of Trade. At the close, wheat was V. cent to 3% cent ' higher with the contract for delivery in March ' at $3.25% a bushel: corn was V, cent lower to \ % cent higher with March at $2.48 a bushel; . oats were 1 cent lower to V. cent higher with • March at $1.30 a bushel; and soybeans were • unchanged to 2 cents lower with March at $5.38% a bushel. KANSAS CITY (AP) — Wheat futures on the Kansas City Board of Trade Thursday: Open High Low Settle Chg. . WHEAT . 5,000 bu minimum; dollars per bushel Mar 3.18% 3.20 3.17V, 3.19V, +.02% • May 2.91 2.91V, 2.89 2.91 +.02V, • Jul 2.70 1 /, 2.72 2.70 2.71V, +.01% Sep 2.72 2.72 2.71% 2.72 +.01V, ; Dec 2.80 2.81V, 2.80 2.80% +.01V, KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Wheat 51 cars: V. ' to 3% higher; No. 2 hard 3.39%; No. 3 3.15V,- !. 3.95V,n; No. 2 red wheat 3.21 V,-3.29V,n; No. 3 3.10V,-3.28V,n. Corn 128 cars: Unch to 1 lower; No. 2 white 240-2.60n; No. 3 2.15-2.55n; No. 2 yellow " 2.45V,-2.56%n;No.32.25V,-2.55V.n. No.2milo3.88-4.00n. No. 1 soybeans 5.21 V,-5.33n. Hoppers 53.00-54.00. Sollna terminal, Thuriday Hard wheat—$3.05 up 3 cents Corn—$2.43unch Milo—$3.72 unch Soybeans—$4.98 unch Country elevator composite, Thuriday ! Hard wheat—$2.91 up 3 cents Corn—$2.38 unch Milo—$3.62 unch Soybeans—$4.88 unch CHICAGO (AP) — Futures trading on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange Thursday: Open High CATTIE 40,000 lb».; cents per Ib. Low Settle Chg. Feb Apr Jun Aug Oct Dec Feb 59.60 62.00 61.10 59.30 57.90 59.80 59.50 60.20 62.75 62.07 60.00 58.90 60.40 59.50 59.35 61.97 61.07 59.25 57.90 59.60 59.50 60.00 62.47 61.90 59.77 58.52 60.02 60.25 + 1. + 1. 25 07 + 1.23 + . 77 + .70 + .82 + .75 FEEDER CATTLE 44,000 lb>, Mar Apr May Aug Sep Oct Nov HOGS 30,000 Ibt Feb Apr Jun Jul Aug Oct Dec Feb Apr PORK BEL 38,000lbi Feb Mar May Jul Aug ,; »nt» per Ib. 66.30 66.05 64.72 65.70 63.15 62.65 63.70 66.80 66.80 65.17 66.30 63.15 62.95 63.70 66.30 66.05 64.72 65.70 63.15 62.65 63.70 66.65 66.55 65.00 66.30 63.40 62.90 63.70 + .53 + .68 + .53 + + + + .60 .55 .40 .70 .; canti par Ib) 45.10 41.75 45.55 46.40 45.05 41.45 42.35 42.80 40.45 LIES 46.05 42.67 46.00 46.90 45.50 41.90 42.50 42.80 40.45 44.60 41.65 45.35 46.35 45.00 41.45 42.32 42.70 40.45 45.37 42.27 45.42 46.57 45.02 41.65 42.50 42.87 40.47 + + + + .65 .60 .07 .17 —.18 + + + .20 .15 .12 .; cents per Ib. 63.50 63.70 65.20 64.95 62.90 65.00 65.30 66.50 66.25 63.95 63.45 63.70 64.95 64.85 62.85 64.62 65.10 66.10 66.15 63.80 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 .52 .73 .50 .48 .53 OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Omaha Livestock Market quotations Thursday: Hogs: 3200: barrows ana gilts steady to 50 higher; fairly active: U.S. l-3s 210-250 Ibs 46.00-46.50; sow weights under 500 Ibs firm to 50 higher, over 500 Ibs 50-1.00 lower, mostly 50 off; 350-650 Ibs 36.50-40.00. Cattle and Calves: 600; cows fully 1.00 higher, some 1.50-2.00 up; demand good except on breaking utility and commercial kinds, these near steady; other slaughter classes not tested; cows breaking utility and commercial 33.00-34.75; cutter and boning utility 33.5036.25, high dressing to 37.50; Conner and low cutter 30.50-33.50, few 'shells' to 29.50. Sheep: None. Metals • NEW YORK (AP) — Selected world gold prices Thursday: Foreign: London morning fixing $349.50, off S3.50. London afternoon fixing $350.30, off $2 70. Paris afternoon $350.07, off $2.85. Frankfurt fixing $350.14, off $2.79. Zurich late afternoon bid $350.75, off $2.25 $351.25 asked. 1 Domestic: Handy & Harmon $350.30, off $2.95. Engelhard $350.70, off $2.70. Engelhard fabricated $368.24, off $2.83. NY Comex gold tpot month Thu. $351.30,' up $0.50. Republic National Bank $350.75, up $0.25. NEW YORK (AP) — Handy & Harmon silver Thursday $6.150, unchanged. The bullion price for silver earlier In London was $6.111, off $0.032. Engelhard silver $6.165, up $0.015; fabricated $6.597, up $0.016. NY Comex silver spot month Wednesday at $6.142, off 0.041. KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Quotations for Thursday: Cattle 3,500: Trading active, feeder steers and feeder heifers firm to 1.00 higher. Feeder steers, medium and large frame 1, 300500 Ib 67.75-70.75; 500-600 Ib 63.00-66.00, small lot 510 Ib 68.10; 600-800 Ib 61.00-64.50: few 800900 Ib 60.00-60.75. Feeder heifers, medium and large frame 1, 300-500 Ib 58.00-61.25; 500-600 Ib 55.00-60.40; 600-800 Ib 53.00-56.30. Hogs 800: Trading moderate, barrows and gilts steady: 1-3 210-260 Ib 45.50-46.00. Sows under 500 Ib 50 lower, over 500 Ib 1.00 higher; 1 -2 300-500 Ib 36.00-36.50; 1 -3 over 500 Ib 40.00. Sheep none. DODGE CITY (AP) — Trade moderate. Slaughter steers and heifers weak to mostly 50 lower. Inquiry moderate, demand fair. Sales confirmed on 5,700 slaughter steers and 2,400 slaughter heifers Wednesday. For the week to date 47,300 head confirmed. Slaughter steers: Choice 2-3, few 4 1150-1250 Ib 59.00, few 59.25-59.50; choice with end good 1150-1200 Ib 58.50, few 59.00. Slaughter heifers: Choice 2-3, few 4 975-1125 Ib 58.00, few 58.50-58.75; choice with end good 57.50-58.00; few mixed good and choice 57.00; few mixed commercial to choice heiferettes 54.00. Sales FOB feedlot net weights after 4 percent shrink. ST. JOSEPH, Mo. (AP) — Quotations for Thursday: Cattle-slaughter 500: Slaughter cows fully 1.00 higher, instances 2.00 higher than a week ago. Slaughter cows, breaking utility and commercial 34.00-38.50, high dressing including boning utility 38.00-41.25. Hogs 2,200: Barrows and gilts steady; 1-3 200-260 Ib 45.50-46.00; 2-3 250-270 Ib 45.0045.50: few 270-280 Ib 44.50-45.00; couple shipments 2-4 290-300 Ib 43.00; shipment 3-4 312 Ib 39.75. Sows under 450 Ib steady to 50 higher, 450-500 Ib 50 lower, over 500 Ib steady; 1 -2 300-450 Ib 36.50; 450-500 Ib 36.50-37.00; 1 -3 500-650 Ib 38.00. Sophie Marie Lampe SYLVAN GROVE — Sophie Marie Lampe, 82, Filer, Idaho, died Monday Jan. 20, in Salina. Mrs. Lampe was born Jan. 11,1904, in Sylvan Grove. She was a homemaker and a member of the Christian Center in Twin Falls, Idaho. Survivors include her husband, A.W. of the home; four stepsons, Berlin of Citrus, Calif., Elmer of Milwalkie, Ore., Harvey of Twin Falls, and Al of Monrovia, Calif.; a stepdaughter, Phyllis Davis of Filer; a brother, Albert Holle of Ellsworth; and two sisters, Anita Roehrkasse of Red Bud, HI., and Ann Gorman of Marissa, HI. The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at Bigge-Moos Chapel, the Rev. Dan Schmalz officiating. Burial will be at 12:30 p.m. at the Sylvan Grove Cemetery. Visitation is after this afternoon at the funeral home. Karl Henry LeMoine LJNCOLNVILLE — Karl Henry LeMoine, 85, died Wednesday, Jan. 22, at his home in Lincolnville. Mr. LeMoine was born June 11, 1900, in Sweden. He came to the United States in 1927. He was a retired barber and a member of St. John's Lutheran Church, Lincolnville. Survivors include his wife, Esther Sophia of the home; a daughter, Mary Ann Hanschu of Overland Park; and two granddaughters. The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at St. John's Lutheran Church, Lincolnville, the Rev. Walter J. Wehmeier officiating. Burial will be in the Lincolnville Cemetery. Memorials may be made to the Arthritis Foundation or the church. Visitation is at the Thompson-Harp Funeral Home, Marion. Martin Rundberg LINDSBORG — Martin Rundberg, 65, Lindsborg, died Wednesday, Jan. 22, at Hutchinson Hospital. Mr. Rundberg was born Feb. 18, 1920, in Lindsborg. He was a retired farmer-stockman and a member of the Trinity United Methodist Church, Lindsborg. His wife, Lois, died in 1982. Survivors include two sons, James of Hutchinson and Daryl of Salina; a brother, George Runberg of Kerrville, Texas; and two grandchildren. The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Anderson Funeral Home, Lindsborg, the Rev. Gary Brooks officiating. Burial will be in the Elmwood Cemetery, Lindsborg. Memorials may be made to the Trinity United Methodist Church, Lindsborg. Visitation is from 7 to 9 p.m. today at the funeral home. Church, Wilson, the Rev. David Chinn officiating. Burial will be in the Wilson City Cemetery. Memorials may be made to the church organ fund. Visitation is until the service at the Stiles-Parsons Funeral Home, Wilson. Bert L. Pack BELLEVILLE — Bert L. Pack, 86, Belleville, died Thursday, Jan. 23, at the Republic County Hospital, Belleville. Mr. Pack was born Aug. 24,1899, in Munden. He was a retired farmer and a former nursing home operator. Survivors include his wife, Berniece of the home; five sons, Donald of Houston, Harold and Doyle, both of Salina, Paul of Concordia and Ray of Derby; a daughter, Norma Beneda of Belleville; 15 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren. The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Bachelor-Faulkner-Dart Funeral Home, Belleville, the Rev. Loren Silsby officiating. Burial will be in the Ida Cemetery, northeast of Munden. Memorials may be made to the Golden Bell Haven, Belleville. Otto Lang LINN — Otto Lang, 72, Linn, died Thursday, Jan. 23, at the Linn Nursing Home. Mr. Lang was born Nov. 18,1913, at Baven, Germany. He was a member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Palmer. He was a plant superin- tendant for the Washington County Creamery for 30 years, and was employed by Wesley Medical Center for 20 years. Survivors include his wife, Erna of the home; two sons, Carroll of Winfield and Phil of Topeka; a daughter, Harriet of Topeka; a sister, Elsie Graham of Fairbury, Neb.; and two grandchildren. The funeral will be at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Rev. Gregory Uthus officiating. Burial will be in the St. Paul's Lutheran Cemetery. Memorials may be given to the church and the Huntington's Disease Foundation. Visitation is from 3 to 8 p.m. today at the Ward Funeral Home, Linn. Opera (Continued from Page 1) company member Brenda Peters. "This is kind of a community project." With $5,000 in donations and the $28,000 from the bank, the group has enough money to fix a hole in the roof and bulges in two walls. However, they figure they need an additional $29,000 to finish roof repairs and make the building watertight. Kilbride said it probably will take 10 years to properly refurbish the structure, but the company has neither a timetable for completion nor an estimate of cost. Some members, however, do hope that some type of show can be held in the theater on the building's centennial in 1989. "Our main purpose is to save the structure by saving the roof," Kilbride said. "Right now, we need a roof over our heads." The Opera House was built in 1888, and the first play was presented on June 28, 1889, members of the company said. It was billed as the best opera house between Kansas City and Denver. The red-brick building with limestone inlays and stained glass windows had stores and apartments in the front, with the cavernous theater in back. * "Face it, this is a bucket and we're throwing money into it for the sake of nostalgia, for the sake of saying this was here in 1888 and it is still here today," Kilbride said. "When you think about it, in Kansas, what was there then? Nothing," Kilbride said. "This was a showplace." In 1926, the building was turned into the Empire Theater, and in the 40s it became the Mac Theater. The theater was closed in the mid-€0s, and the apartments were closed in the 70s, members said. Several times developers have had plans to renovate the building but all attempts fell through, usually because of the cost. In recent weeks, city officials were concerned that parts of the structure would collapse and recommended that the demolition process begin soon. Then the preservation company stepped in. Truck crash kills two ANTONINO — A Hays woman and a Brownell woman died from injuries they sustained Thursday in a two- vehicle accident near Antonino, a town southwest of Hays. Mary Mask, 38, Hays, died at the scene and Thelma Wiedeman, 61, died at about 9 p.m. Friday at Hadley Regional Medical Center in Hays, said an Ellis County Sheriff's Department dispatcher. Hubert Wiedeman, 63, was in serious but stable condition in the intensive care unit at Hadley, said a hospital spokeswoman. The accident ocurred at about 4:45 p.m. Friday, when Mask's southbound pickup collided with Hubert Wiedeman's westbound pickup at an intersection near Antonino. For your information Ida Walters WASHINGTON—Ida Walters, 100, died Thursday, Jan. 23, at Washington County Hospital. Mrs. Walter was born July 14,1885, at Washington, where she lived all of her life. Her husband, Jake, died in 1961. Survivors include four daughters, Helen Back of Morrowville, Winnie Wise of Topeka, Elenanor Heck of Washington, and Mary Stall of. Greenleaf; a son, J.W. Walters of Beloit; a brother, Anthony Donovan of Morrowville; a sister, Mamie Schmidt of Hanover; 18 grandchildren, 32 great-grandchildren and seven great-great grandchildren. The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Augustine's Catholic Church, Washington, the Rev. Besil Torrez officiating. Burial will be in St. John's Cemetery, Hanover. There will be a rosary at 7 p.m. today at the Ward Funeral Home, Washington. Visitation is from 3 to 8 p.m. today at the funeral home. Public broadcasting asks for $880,000 TOPEKA (AP) - The state Public Broadcasting Commission will ask the Legislature for almost $880,000 for public radio and television for the fiscal year that begins July 1. Those budget recommendations include more than $115,000 for construction for three translator stations in the state. Hospital admissions Asbury — Doris M. Carson, 1815 Gebhart; Doris M. Denison, 1035 Scott; Paul A. Drevets, Rt. 1; Raymond E. GUlespie, 603 N. 12th; Lee J. Jelken, 408 Rahm; Carolyn M. Mott, Rt. 3; Anna K. Strecker, 721 Merrill; Susanne D. Syring, 849 Roach; Earl Vick Jr., 409 S. 12th; Colleen Y. White, 430 Hazel Court; Danielle N. Zaragoza, 138 Augusta, No. 50; Deanna R. Baumgartner, Solomon; Myrtle L. Bivin, Concordia; Bethanie D. Dickinson, Beloit; Lee A. Gauby, Washington; Oliver A. Hartenstein, Abilene; J. Floyd Nickell, Great Bend; Debra J. Peters, Beloit; Debra K. Reinbold, New Cambria; Ruth E. Riffel, Herington; Bernice Sauvain, Agenda; TwanaK. Seirer.Mankato; Carol R. Shaffer, Waldo. St. John's — Hazel I. Brubaker, 1008 Funston; Ruth P. Pillars, 901 Otto; Lois P. Vanover, 448 S. 10th; Jason Mumford, Clearwater; Gloria M. Hansen, Minneapolis. Hospital dismissals Asbury — Carl A. Ballance, 215 E. Prescott; Lawrence Allen Fairbanks, 420 S. 12th; Norma J. Prater, 532 Kirwin; Margaret B. Segall, 1217 Franklin; Deloris Dee Staggs, 1437 Winona; Doyle E. Teel, 238 N. College; Kari E. Brooks, Lindsborg; Ivan L. Cotton, Delphos; Loyd W. Griest, Minneapolis; Donna S. Hodgins, Concordia; Jean C. Rose, Cawker City; Susan J. Vaughn and baby girl, Enterprise; Cheryl A. Winters, Lincoln. St. John's — Diann Torrey, 924 N. 12th; Eve McDaniel, 1919 Haskett; Trisha L. Burroughs, 813 Moundview; Walter E. Nutz ' Jr., Rt. 1; Mildred Setter, 614 Garden; Augusta F. Simmons, 623 Johnstown; Beulah Workman, 1216 N. Eighth; Janette Crowther, Lindsborg; Glenn 0. Carlson, Clay Center; Alfred E. Demanett, Concordia; Delbert H. Meyer, Linn; Harry E. Nazarenus, Luray. Births Boy: Daniel J. and Debra J. Peters, Beloit, 5 lbs.loz.,bornJan.22. Girl: Michael E. and Debra K. Reinbold, New Cambria, 91bs. 3 ozs., born Jan. 23. District Court Charged—Paul L. Lewis, 19,621 S. 12th, charge of possession of marijuana with the intent to sell at the C.C. Lounge, 723 Bishop, on Jan. 21. Steven D. Hucksoll, 18,2166 Nottingham, charge of felony criminal damage to property in connection with broken windows at the First Church of the Nazarene, 1425 S. Ohio, two private residences and Red Rider Inc., address not listed. Willie Bates, 32,154 N. Eighth, charges of felony possession of cocaine and misdemeanor possession of LSD in connection with items found in Bates' apartment on Sept. 12. Robert Abrams, 20, Excelsior Springs, Mo., charges of conspiracy to commit burglary and felony theft for obtaining stolen property in connection with a $754 silver coin collection that was stolen from the residence of Ruth Vincent, 1100 Park, between Dec. 15 and Jan. 20. James Cochran, 19,1111 E. Iron, charge of felony criminal damage to property in connection with a broken windshield, dents and other damage to a car belonging to Bryan Ragland, 621 Jamison. Douglas Schmidt, 31,906 Birch, charges of burglary and misdemeanor theft in connection with a May 4 break-in at the Tonn Grain Company in Gypsum and theft of dog food and cash from the business. Sentenced—Lonnie 0. Messer, 18,350 S. Ninth, misdemeanor charge of criminal trespass for crawling through an unlocked window in a motel room at the former Hitlon Inn, Fifth and Iron; 90 days in jail, sentence suspended upon the payment of court costs. Divorces' Granted — Wilma Jean Johnson and Lester Lee Johnson; Gary Wayne Gill and Cindy Lou Gill; Melinda Sue White and Larry Joe White; James Martin Anderson and Melodee Anne Anderson. Dismissed — C.L. Lampe vs. Jeanette KayLampe. Municipal Court Criminal — Gary D. Adkins, 32, 763 Osage, a charge of disorderly conduct for becoming abusive with a police officer on Jan. 5; $75 fine. Traffic - Doras W. Enright, 128 N. Second, a charge of driving under the influence; diversion granted, $200 fine. Richard Rego, 25,410 W. Elm, a charge of driving with a suspended driver's license; five days in jail, suspended, $100 fine. Farril G. Hawk, 31, 809 Custer, DUI, diversion granted, $200 fine. Police blotter Accident—Donna D. Miszkwitz, 24,1016 W. Ash, treated at Asbury Hospital Thursday for injuries received when her and a car driven by Eva May Kelley, 48, 737 Greenbriar, collided at the intersection of Edward and Colonial Lane. Vehicle burglary — 856 Roach, stereo equipment belonging to Donald W. Dipman, 856 Roach; $400 loss. Attempted burglary — Window broken at Concrete Supply, Route 2; $1501oss. Theft — 1932 Simmons, diamond ring belonging to Lula V. Cooper, 1932 Simmons; $400 loss. Weather Thomas "Guy" Adcock WILSON — Thomas "Guy" Adcock, 93, Wilson, died Wednesday, Jan. 22, at the Wilson Nursing Home. Mr. Adcock was born Sept. 5,1892, in Southwest City, Mo. He was a retired farmer and laborer and a member of the United Methodist Church, Wilson. His wife, Fannie, preceded him in death. Survivors include a son, Hugh of Bozeman, Mont.; two daughters, Annie Small of Wilson and Freida Betchel of Kansas City, Mo.; a sister, Edna Sanders of Wilson; 10 grandchildren, 29 great-grandchildren and 17 great-great-grandchildren. The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at the United Methodist EXTENDED OUTLOOK Sunday through Tuesday No precipitation expected, with highs in the 30s Sunday warming to the 40s and 50s Tuesday. Lows will be in the teens Sunday and Monday, and from 15 to 25 Tuesday. ZONE FORECASTS Zones 1, 2, 4 and 5 — Mostly cloudy today, with highs about 40, and gusty north winds from 15 to 25 mph. Partly cloudy tonight, with lows in the low 20s. Mostly clear Saturday, with highs in the mid-to upper 30s. Zones 3 and 6 — Mostly cloudy Friday, with highs about 40 and gusty north winds from 15 to 25 mph. Partly cloudy tonight, with lows in the mid-20s. Becoming mostly sunny Saturday, with highs in the low 40s. Zones 7, 8,10 and 11 — Mostly cloudy today, with a 30 percent chance of rain changing to snow, northwest winds from 15 to 25 mph and highs about 40. Cloudy tonight, with a 20 percent chance of snow and lows in the low to mid-20s. Becoming partly cloudy Saturday, with highs in the mid-30s. Zones 9 and 12—Becoming mostly cloudy today, with a 20 percent chance of rain turning to Sssow, gusty north- 'west winds from 15 to 25 mph and highs in the low to mid- 40s. Mostly cloudy tonight, with a 20 percent chance of wet snow ending about midnight and lows in the mid- to upper 20s. Becoming partly cloudy Saturday, with highs J in the mid- to upper 30s. Zones 13,14,15 and 16 — Mostly cloudy today, with a 40 percent chance of rain changing to wet snow, gusty south winds from 15 to 25 mph and highs in the low 40s. Cloudy tonight, with a 40 percent chance of wet snow and lows in the mid-20s. Mostly cloudy Saturday, with a 20 percent chance of snow and highs in the low to mid-30s. Zone 17 — Mostly cloudy today, with a 40 percent chance of rain, gusty south winds from 15 to 25 mph and highs about 50. Cloudy tonight, with a 60 percent chance of rain changing to snow before midnight, with lows in the low 30s. Mostly cloudy Saturday, with a 20 percent chance of wet snow and highs in the low to mid-30s. ELSEWHERE IN KANSAS Friday highs-lows to 6 p.m. Belleville 49-28, Beloit 53-28, Chanute 50-22, Coffeyville 52-22, Concordia 50-31, Dodge City 54-26, Emporia 49-22, Garden City 59-24, Goodland 53-23, Hill City 55-31, Hutchinson 52-26, Pittsburg 51-26, Russell 51-30, Topeka 49-21, Wichita 51-23. SALINA WEATHER At City Airport, 9 p.m. Thursday: Temperature 42F; Barometer 29.94 in.; Wind S 15 mph; Relative Humidity 48%; 24-hour Precipitation to 7 p.m., none. Thursday's High 52; Record is 71 in 1981. Thursday's Low to 9 p.m. 26; Record is -10 in 1915. Today's Sunset 5:42; Tomorrow's Sunrise 7:42. Broadcasting of local, state and regional weather conditions continues 24 hours a day on NOAA Weather Radio WXK-92 on a frequency of 162.400 MHzFM.

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free