The Salina Journal from Salina, Kansas on January 7, 1986 · Page 7
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Salina Journal from Salina, Kansas · Page 7

Publication:
Location:
Salina, Kansas
Issue Date:
Tuesday, January 7, 1986
Page:
Page 7
Start Free Trial
Cancel

The Salina Journal Tuesday, January 7,1986 Page? Siblings reunited After 43 years, man claims he's missing brother ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) A 44-year-old man who says he is the last missing sibling among eight children given away by their mother, on Monday contacted a sister and half-sister who had been searching for him for years, Howard Robert Lawson, a charter boat captain from Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., read in a Florida newspaper that his sisters were looking for him. He had learned at age 9 or 10 that he was adopted and had several sisters. He tried unsuccessfully 20 years ago to find his natural family, but Lawson said he only recently asked his lawyer to try to unseal court papers that would tell him more about his past. Meanwhile, 47-year-old Helena Faulkner of Melbourne, Fla., had spent years trying to find her natural mother's seven other children, who had at least four different fathers. In the last two years, she and her half-sister, 38-year-old Jean Allebach of Pennsauken, found seven. But what happened to Howard after the parents deserted the eldest four children in 1942 remained a mystery. "I'm the only missing one?" Lawson said incredulously. His attorney, James Merberg of Boston, said he is certain Lawson is the missing brother. "I can assure you he is not a fraud," said Merberg. However, Allebach said she was a little doubtful that Lawson is her half-brother. "Some things sound right. Other things don't match," she said. "But we might not have the right information." The family mystery began during World War II, when a 27-year- old Camden soldier and his wife were charged with deserting their four children, aged 10 months to 4 years. Lawson, born Howard Robert Cole, and his sister, Helen Cole, U.S. delegation discusses MIAs with team of Vietnamese officials HANOI, Vietnam (AP) - The highest-level U.S. delegation to visit Vietnam since the war ended in 1975 met officials here for three hours Monday to discuss ways to speed up the search for Americans still listed as missing in action. Neither side disclosed details of the session. Vietnam has promised to resolve the MIA issue within two years. It is believed that details of steps to be taken are a major item on the agenda. Washington lists about 2,400 Americans as missing in action in Communist Indochina, 1,797 of them in Vietnam. The fest are listed as missing in Cambodia and Laos. After the meeting, the head of the American delegation, Assistant Defense Secretary Richard Armitage, said: "I'll just say that both sides engaged in an in-depth discussion of all aspects of the American prisoner of war-missing in action issue, to include how we might accelerate progress toward the resolution of this issue." Deputy Foreign Minister Hoang Bich Son, who headed the Vietnamese team, said: "I agree with Mr. Armitage. Neither side wants to say more now." Vietnamese officials insist they regard the whereabouts of the MIAs as a humanitarian issue, but they also seek normalization of diplomatic ties with the United States, which Washington says is not possible while Hanoi's troops remain in Cambodia. Vietnam ousted the communist Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia in January 1979 and set up a pro-Hanoi government. Vo Dong Giang, the minister of state in charge of foreign affairs, said Monday while the talks were under way: "I would say there has been some progress, some evolution of relations, even though the U.S. side says that relations are limited to the MIAs." "Vietnam pursues its consistent line of not using the search for MIAs as a bargaining chip toward normalization or improvement of rela- tions," he said. When asked if ties were forthcoming, he replied, "Maybe yes, maybe no." Giang said Saturday that Hanoi would insist on setting up a liaison mission in Washington if the United States established a permanent MIA office in Hanoi. U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Paul Wolfowitz, who is a member of the delegation, told a U.S. congressional committee in mid-1985 that the United States would consider the question of a permanent presence in Hanoi only if Vietnam's cooperation on the MIA issue "increased significantly." "A presence of this type would of course be entirely separate from the question of diplomatic relations." Wolfowitz said. Early last year, Vietnam began cooperating in the search for the missing Americans, apparently in hopes of receiving aid for its sagging economy and because of continuing pressure from the world community. Howard Lawson phones his half-sister, Jean Allebach. now Faulkner, eventually were placed in adoptive or foster homes. Their mother had three more daughters, including Allebach, and a son. Those children were also temporarily or permanently cared for by relatives or friends, who guarded information about the children's birthrights, the women said. One 41-year-old sister only learned a year and a half ago that the woman she thought was her mother was an aunt, and an aunt her mother, Allebach said. A story about the search appeared Sunday in The Post of West Palm Beach, Fla., along with a photograph of Allebach holding a 1942 newspaper clipping about the abandoned children. Lawson said the clipping was the same one he found 20 years ago in a Philadelphia library during a search for his roots. Lawson, who moved with his adopted parents to Florida at age 4, said that in the mid-1960s he obtained the name and address of a woman he believed was his sister. He went to her home but when the father of three saw children playing in the yard, he left, fearful that he might upset the woman's life. Lawson said he also obtained information from the Army about his father who enlisted by posing as a single man. But when he contacted the man he believes is his natural father, Lawson said the man told him he had a new life, another family, and didn't want to be disturbed. Man who shot trooper given life COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) — A member of the white supremacist group The Order was sentenced to life in prison Monday for the killing of a Missouri Highway Patrol trooper, who was shot along a highway with a silencer-equipped machine pistol. David Tate, 23, of Athol, Idaho, was convicted of first-degree murder on Nov. 13 and the jury recommended that he be sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole. Boone County Circuit Judge Frank Conley followed the jury's recommendation in ordering the life term. He also denied motions for acquittal and for a new trial for Tate. Tate stood motionless as Conley pronounced the sentence and did not speak audibly. Taney County prosecutor Jim Justus said Tate would be tried Jan. 28 in Boone County on charges in the wounding of a second patrol trooper. Trooper Jimmie Linegar, 31, was killed and Allen Hines, 35, was wounded April 15 while the two troopers manned a traffic checkpoint in southwest Missouri. Linegar had stopped Tate's van and was shot after he ran Tate's name through a crime computer. Tate was named in a federal indictment with 23 members of The Order in Seattle. Ten members of The Order who stood trial were convicted on racketeering charges for a series of murders and armed robberies. Federal prosecutors said The Order's goal was to overthrow the government, eliminate Jews and racial minorities and establish an Aryan homeland. There was no word if the federal government would pursue the case against him in light of the murder conviction here. Tate did not testify in his defense, but took the stand during the penalty phase of the trial and said he was sorry for killing Linegar. "I feel terrible about it," he said. "I've cried about it. I wish it hadn't happened." In his opening argument, defense attorney Patrick Deaton had said there was no question Tate had fired the shot that killed Linegar. However, Deaton said Tate was a victim of his childhood and the right wing beliefs of his parents. Special prosecutor Richard Callahan urged the death penalty, saying that if it was ever applicable "it applied in this case." Callahan showed the jury a cache of weapons — including 10 firearms equipped with silencers — that were found under the floor boards of the van Tate was driving when Linegar was shot. Prison uprising trial begins for lawyer SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (AP) - A trial began Monday for a lawyer who spent 13 years as a fugitive after being accused of slipping a pistol to a black revolutionary who used the weapon in a prison riot that killed six people. Prospective jurors in the murder and conspiracy case of Stephen Bingham i were ordered to, fill out questionnaires that asked I about their political beliefs and : their knowledge of the Black Pan- thers, the riot at San Quentin State Prison, and the ensuing prosecution. Bingham, 43, surfaced in July 1984, saying he fled because he feared for his life and surrendered once he felt changing American political attitudes made a fair trial possible. The defense claims the government conspired against the one-time radical, partly to discredit the left. Bingham, looking relaxed as he spoke to reporters in the crowded hallway outside the courtroom, said he was "very excited and confident" as the trial, which is expected to last six months, got under way. Prosecutors allege Bingham smuggled a pistol into San Quentin prison and slipped it to prison revolutionary and Black Panther George Jackson during an Aug. 21, 1971, interview. They say Jackson used the gun to force guards to free 26 other inmates, who rioted in their cellblock. The violence left Jackson, two inmate trusties and three correctional officers dead. Defense attorneys have sought classified government documents in an attempt to prove a government conspiracy directed against Bingham, the political left and Jackson, who had gained public attention writing about prison reform. Further hearings on those motions are scheduled for later this month. Chess champ refuses rematch for title : MOSCOW (AP) — Despite today's deadline requiring him to chose a : playing site, world chess champion Garri Kasparov has decided to refuse the rematch granted to deposed titleholder Anatoly Karpov, a chess source said. Kasparov, 23, bested Karpov on Nov. 9 to wrest the world title from his fellow Soviet, who had held it for a decade. The head of the World Chess Federation, Florencio Campomanes, has said Kasparov must choose by today between London and Leningrad as the location for a rematch, scheduled to begin Feb. 10. But the chess source said Kasparov announced he was declining the match in a Saturday night lecture at Moscow's Spartak sports club, and confirmed his refusal in a conversation after the lecture. The source said Kasparov appeared confident the Switzerland- based chess federation, known by its French acronym FIDE, would not revoke his title. Karpov already has said he wants to play in Leningrad. Contacted by telephone on Sunday and asked whether he had made a decision about the rematch, Kas- parov said, "I will not choose a town, I will do nothing." Pressed for more specific comment, he said, "For the time being, that's enough. I will talk to you after (today's deadline). I've already said that I don't think it (the rematch) is legal." Karpov was granted the rematch under new FIDE rules adopted for the championship tournament. It is the latest of the controversies that swirled around the World Chess title series since the semifinal round originally scheduled for the summer of 1983. ENROLLMENT IS OPEN NOW THROUGH MARCH 31,1986 149,000 Kansans, age 65 and older, have chosen the Plan 65 program to work with Medicare. This combination helps pay a bigger part of their health care costs. Plan 65 pays the deductible and coinsurance amounts for both the hospital and doctor services covered by Medicare. And, even though the 1986 Medicare Part A deductibles increased, Plan 65 rates did not. Mail this coupon today for a Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plan 65 application and folder that describes what Medicare does and does not cover and what Plan 65 does and does not cover. No health statement is required for Plan 65 and there are no exclusions for previous health conditions. *?****• % ^ ^\v «"" ***." M^M Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas c/o Public Relations Dept., 1133 Topeka Ave. Box 239, Topeka, Kansas 66629 Form numbers 80-1000, 80-1001, 80-1031, and 80-1582 . IF YOU ALREADY HAVE COVERAGE WITH BLUE CROSS AND BLUE SHIELD OF KANSAS, DO NOT MAIL THIS COUPON. Please check boxes that apply to you. D I do not presently have Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas coverage, I am over age 65 and want to enroll in Plan 65. D My husband or wife is under age 65 and wants information about other Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans. NAME ADDRESS CITY ZIP Registered Marks Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association An equal opportunity employer

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free