The Salina Journal from Salina, Kansas on January 3, 1986 · Page 12
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Salina Journal from Salina, Kansas · Page 12

Salina, Kansas
Issue Date:
Friday, January 3, 1986
Page 12
Start Free Trial

The Salina Journal Friday, January 3,1986 Page 12 EPA cars take execs to lunch WASHINGTON (AP) -Aboutone- third of the trips made by government cars and drivers assigned to Environmental Protection Agency executives were to lunch at an average cost of $45 a trip, according to a report by the agency's inspector general. The report recommended more use of taxis at a cost of about $5 a trip, but the agency has decided not to do it, according to one official. EPA's 13 executive cars were "largely underutilized" at three trips per day, said the report, which was completed in August and made available by the agency on Thursday. An audit covering April through August 1984 showed that 1,122 trips out of about 3,400 were to restaurants atlunchtime. There was no allegation that any of the trips to lunch were improper, but the report did say, "It appears that some agency personnel may not be fully aware that agency vehicles are only to be used for official government business." The auditors noted that a 1979 memorandum from the general counsel, recirculated in 1983, said agency cars could "not ordinarily" be used to go to lunch. But the memorandum said the vehicles could be used, with permission from immediate supervisors, if EPA staffers were meeting counterparts from other agencies, Congress or trade associations for business lunches. EPA's headquarters are in a residential neighborhood in the southwestern part of the city, with few restaurants nearby, and those tend to be either fast-food outlets or fairly expensive. The building is a rarity for Washington agency headquarters in that it has no cafeteria. The nearest other government agency is about three-quarters of a mile away. Though the report said the agency was considering contracting with a taxi company, John Chamberlain, director of administration, said EPA had decided not to. An October memorandum to inspector general John Martin from Comptroller Morgan Kinghorn said cabs "would not provide the level of service required." Candidate Corazon Aquino (third from left) campaigns near a bust of President Ferdinand Marcos. Aquino's widow draws masses in campaign to oust Marcos MARCOS PARK, Philippines (AP) — Presidential candidate Corazon Aquino campaigned Thursday in a political stronghold of President Ferdinand E. Marcos and said she would allow Communists into a coalition government if they renounced violence. Aquino stood at the base of a three-story-high bust of Marcos that overlooks a government golf course and resort named Marcos Park and told journalists: "I will leave it to the Filipino people to decide what they want to do with this." At a news conference in nearby Baguio, 125 miles north of Manila, Aquino responded to Marcos' charges that the country would fall to communism if she defeated him in the special election scheduled for Feb. 7. "I would be the last person in the world to be a Communist. I have never been a Communist and I do not intend to be a Communist," she said. "So long as the Communists renounce all forms of violence, we welcome them into the government," she said. "Certainly, we need everybody's help. All Filipinos who sincerely desire to help the government and the country are very welcome in the govern- ment." Crowds were sparse in Mrs. Aquino's first campaign stop of the day in Vigan, 200 miles north of Manila. Only children greeted her plane, and a marketplace rally attracted only about 200 people. Larger crowds turned out at Narvacan and San Fernando, both northern Luzon island towns in a region where Marcos' supporters claim he will win more than 90 percent of the vote. About 3,000 cheering, screaming people packed the Narvacan town plaza where Aquino decried monopolies in tobacco and other industries . Clues being sought in Nelson's death JACALEAPA, Honduras (AP) — Last spring, 2,700 Nicaraguans fleeing war in their own country lived in tattered tents in a refugee camp here. Now they live in simple wood-frame huts, paid for by international relief agencies and built by themselves. However, now that the homes are built, a 41- year-old refugee who had eagerly picked up a saw, hammer and nails finds himself idle and depressed. "It's always sad here," he told a recent visitor. "We don't have the freedom to go into the countryside and work.'' "We can't even leave to go walking in those hills," he said, waving an arm toward the green, piney countryside 40 miles east of Tegucigalpa, the Honduran capital. But the man, who asked not to be identified, said he would rather remain here than risk endangering his family by returning to Nicaragua. "I left because there are too many battles, and there was no safety," said the man, who came to Honduras with his family from the northern Nicaraguan town of Jalapa three years ago. Honduras, considered the second-poorest nation in the hemisphere after Haiti, is easily accessible for civilians seeking to escape the wars in neighboring El Salvador and Nicaragua. To a much lesser extent, people also have fled here from Guatemala to the north. Officials say about 38,000 of them have settled in refugee camps run by the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees and perhaps as many as 100,000 more have moved into the country illegally. The illegal aliens are competing for jobs in a country of 4.4 million people where unemployment is estimated at 30 percent. The registered refugees are prohibited from entering the job market and are cared for by international relief agencies at an annual cost of $9.8 million, according to United Nations figures. The refugees create political strains, too.. Honduran government officials say the U.N. refugee camps which are home for 20,000 Salvadorans have become sanctuaries for leftist guerrillas fighting to overthrow the U.S.- supported government of El Salvador. Plans surface periodically to move the camps from border areas into the interior. And Hondurans are worried, as a recent editorial in the centrist newspaper El Heraldo put it, that the unchecked refugee flow may. represent "a systematic penetration of our territory (to) prepare young Hondurans to set up guerrilla move-, ments in the interior of the country." TEXARKANA, Ark. (AP) — A heavy blaze had broken out in the cabin of the DC-3 airplane that crashed, killing singer Rick Nelson and six others, federal officials said Thursday night. Four of the five fire extinguishers aboard the craft, however, went unused as the seven perished in Tuesday's crash near De Kalb, Texas, from smoke inhalation and bums, said National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Jim Burnett. All of the bodies were in the front of the plane, close to the cockpit, Burnett said. Burnett, speaking at a news conference, said there were no indications of structural failure aboard the plane, a rebuilt C-47 that was 42 years old. He said scientists were checking soot left on the bodies' skins to determine what was burning in the plane, which was carrying the entertainer, his fiancee and five members of his band to a New Year's Eve appearance in Dallas. The only identifiable pieces of the plane remaining are a charred wing section lodged in a tree, a jagged tail section and a broken nose piece, Burnett said. Accounts by the crash's only two survivors, pilot Brad Rank and copilot Kenneth Ferguson, will play a key role in determining what caused the crash, he said. Doctors have denied permission to talk to Ferguson, and although Rank cannot talk, he nodded yes or no to investigators' questions for about two minutes, Burnett said. When Rank was asked where he first noticed smoke, he indicated in the cabin, Burnett said. Authorities did not yet know what caused the fire or what was burning, he said. Friends and relatives of the victims say the DC-3 had been plagued by engine trouble in past months, that it had more trouble before its last flight and that one band member had talked of quitting because of the plane. The NTSB chairman said officials have not been able to find maintenance records on the DC-3, and federal records still show the plane registered to Century Equipment Co. in Los Angeles. Century says it sold the plane to Belson in May 1985, but Burnett said there was no transfer of title. Although aircraft cannot be flown unless such a transfer is completed, Burnett noted that the transfer papers could have been lost in a bureaucratic shuffle. Rank, 34, was in fair condition in St. Michael Hospital in Texarkana; co-pilot Kenneth Ferguson, 40, was in serious condition in the University of Arkansas Medical Center at Little Rock. Both suffered second- and third-degree burns and smoke inhalation. NTSB spokesman Brad Dunbar said Thursday that he did not know when officials could talk to them. Helicopter pilot Don Ruggles, who was flying in the area, said that seconds before the crash at 5:15 p.m. Tuesday, one of the DC-3's pilots gasped for breath as he radioed a distress message from the smoke- filled cockpit. Cessna could benefit by Dole's plane plan Nicaraguan refugees strain Honduras The editorial said President-elect Jose Simon Azcona Hoyo, who will be inaugurated Jan. 27, must consider the refugee issue an important one because it "creates an immense danger for Honduras, a danger of social disorder, of fratricidal struggle, of spilled blood and violence." The problem of the refugees was not a major issue in the fall campaign here, which focused almost exclusively on personalities. The transfer from one civilian elected president to another would be the first since 1929 in this country with a history of military intervention in politics. Even though the presence of the refugees causes problems for Honduras, "we can't put up a barrier against them," said Abraham Garcia Turcios, the chief of the government's refugee office. "We don't have enough men to patrol our long borders to keep them out, and furthermore, Honduras has said in international forums that we will take anybody trying to escape violence in their own country," Turcios said in an interview in Tegucigalpa. Commanders of the Nicaraguan Democratic Force, the largest rebel force fighting their country's leftist Sandinista government, have come to the gates of the Jacaleapa refugee camp to recruit young refugees for their forces, refugees at the camp say. WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Majority Leader Robert Dole urged the Air Force Thursday to immediately cancel further production of its new T-46 trainer, saying it is now obvious the planes cannot be built on schedule or within budget. Scrapping the T- 46, being produced by the Fairchild Republic Co.,I might bring new business for the Cessna Corp., Wichita, which has. proposed to retool | and refurbish the Dole aging T-37 Air Force trainer that Cessna originally built. Dole's administrative assistant, Mike Pettit, acknowleged that any Dole effort that ended the T-46 program and boosted a project beneficial to the Witchita corporation would be "good politics" for the Kansas Republican. "Yeah, I think you can read it between the lines," Pettit said. "Cancelling the T-46 program would be good for the taxpayers and it just accidentally happens to be good politics for Sen. Dole." Dole, in a letter to Air Force Secretary Russell A. Rourke, said that while he understands President Reagan will not ask for money for the T-46 program in his budget for the 1987 fiscal year which begins next Oct. 1, $200 million in T-46 payments are included in the budget for the current fiscal year. "It has become obvious that the contract cannot be performed on schedule or within budget," Dole told the Air Force scretary. "It is essential that you ensure that these funds are not spent. I for one will simply not sit idle and watch the Pentagon waste additional taxpayers' money on the T-46." Although he did not refer to Cessna by name, Dole told Rourke that proposals to either modernize the T-37 trainer fleet or to produce new technology T-37's "would result in a savings to the taxpayer of several billion dollars." The T46 program, Fairchild Republic's largest and most important defense contract, has been plagued by development snags. In September the Air Force announced it was slashing Fairchild's monthly contract payments in half, to $4 million, because of "numerous management and production deficiencies" at the firm's plant on Long Island. Two days later Cessna advanced an unsolicited proposal to the Air Force saying it could retool the existing fleet of T-37's, providing new wing structures, avionics and engines, and save roughly $2 billion of the projected $3.5 billion cost of building a new fleet of T-46 trainer aircraft. Fairchild Republic was selected in July 1982 to build the T-46 as the replacement for the T-37, a jet trainer that first entered service in 1957. Artificial heart patient emerges from her coma MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Mary Lund, the world's first female recipient of an artificial heart, emerged from her coma Thursday, sitting up and responding to her husband's voice 15 days after the implant, doctors said. "She sat on the edge of the bed today for a period of about five minutes," Dr. Frederick Gobel of Abbott Northwestern Hospital told a news conference. "She moved all of her extremities. Although she's still very fatigued and spends much of her time sleeping, she arouses quickly to the voice of her husband." Lund, 40, of Kensington, underwent the implant Dec. 18 after what is believed to be a rare virus destroyed her heart. She remained in critical but stable condition in the cardio-vascular intensive care unit Thursday, Gobel said. "She was told today that she had an artificial heart. She reacted in a startled manner to that," Gobel said. "She was reassured about the nature of her situation otherwise." He said she tried to form words with her mouth, but was unable to speak because of a tube in her throat. When told of the implant, Lund "opened her eyes widely," Gobel said. Gobel said Lund knew of the implant before surgery, but he said he was not surprised that she had no memory of that. Doctors are trying to wean Lund from the respirator she has relied on since the surgery, Gobel said. She was taken off the device for 15 minutes Thursday, and he said doctors hope she will be free of it within 10 days. "As she begins to move, all of her body functions will return and her defense mechanisms will help her ward off infection and other problems that occur during prolonged bed rest," Gobel said. Lund's kidneys remain in failure and she continues to receive dialysis treatments daily, Gobel said. Doctors have placed her chance for survival at better than 50 percent. Gobel said Lund would not be considered for a human heart transplant until her kidneys are normal. Fugitive lawyer prepares for murder trial OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -Sincehe returned last year from 13 years in hiding, Stephen Bingham has been preparing for his trial on charges arising from a deadly prison rampage involving a gun that prosecutors say he smuggled to an inmate. Now, the onetime radical Berkeley lawyer says he's ready to face trial, starting Monday, on two murder charges and one conspiracy count. "I want to get on with it," Bingham said in a recent interview. "I want to get this behind me. The only way I can have this is through a verdict." Bingham is accused of smuggling a gun into San Quentin State Prison on Aug. 21, 1971, a gun used in a cellblock Shootout that left six people dead. "I want people to know I didn't do this," said Bingham, the 43-year-old scion of a prominent Connecticut family. "It's the most important thing in the world to me right now.'' Prosecutors allege Bingham slipped the 9mm pistol to prison revolutionary and author George Jackson in an interview booth. Jackson allegedly hid the gun and extra ammunition under an Afro wig to get past guards and then forced officers to free 26 other inmates from their cells. Three guards and two inmate trusties were killed in the violence that erupted, Jackson was shot to death Stephen Bingham by guards, and no inmates escaped from the prison. Bingham disappeared the day of the incident and led an underground life until July 9, 1984, when he surrendered to authorities, declaring he believed he could get a fair trial now because of changes in American attitudes. He said the Watergate scandal and other incidents during those 13 years made Americans aware government misconduct is possible. "That kind of awareness, which I think is pretty widespread, is critical to me getting a jury that's really going to have an open mind on this," he said. Bingham's attorneys intend to argue San Quentin officials set up the young lawyer to get rid of Jackson, who was at the forefront of the prison reform movement. The attorneys are attempting to gain access to documents they think will prove a government conspiracy. Bingham said he's confident he'll be acquitted even without those documents, because he thinks prosecutors won't be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt he was involved in the gun-smuggling. "It's frustrating, though, because a jury is obviously going to want to have some sense of what might have actually happened," he said. Earlier this month, three other murder charges against Bingham were dismissed by a judge who based his decision on findings in the 1975 trial of inmates known as the San Quentin Six. Bingham said he was excited by the decision, even though "very serious charges remain. It's not as if I feel 50 percent free because half of the charges have been dismissed, but I think it's very encouraging nonetheless." Since his surrender, Bingham has worked part-time as a researcher at an Oakland law firm. But most of his time has been spent working with his lawyers and trying to raise money to pay for his $500,000 defense. "Unfortunately, the fact that I'm innocent doesn't make it any cheaper to defend myself," he said. About twice a week, friends conduct fundraising events ranging from small dinners to concerts, and Bingham usually attends. "It's been an astonishing thing the way people have rallied around," he said. "This whole incident for many people was a part of history. My coming back reminded people it was still alive." Following his lawyers' advice, Bingham reveals little of life as a fugitive. He married, worked as a house painter in a city he won't identify and remained active in an undisclosed political cause. "It's hard with my friends. I come back and reconnect with them and they tell me everything they've been doing since I last saw them, and I can't do the same," Bingham said. Bingham said he's tried to reacquaint himself with relatives and friends, although it hurts to see contemporaries "getting their houses paid for and their families raised." "I lost a lot of years and a lot of momentum with the things I wanted to put together in my life," he said.

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free