Pag* Two — Blythwma (Ark.) Courier News — Saturday, July 80, It houses a cafeteria, bookstore, barber shop, photographic darkroom, coffee shop, bowling alley, billiard room, ballroom, lounges, various meeting rooms and two motel-style room* for overnight guests. The center Is named after Dr. Carl R. Reng, president of the college. It cosl the state's taxpayers nothing. The ' $3% million project was built with borrowed money, which building proceeds paid off. f ' r |^, "V t '--% / ....,V,,•*:j;,sal,....«^..iSJjM Garrfer: Jihowplace of Construction of a new Fine Arts Building and drama will be housed together for the Is progressing rapdily and is hoped to be first time. An exhibition hall for art will be ready by January of 1967. With its comple- a major feature of the building. tion the departments of art, music, speech ~lEv / : * Beginning his 16th year as president at Arkansas State College is Dr. Carl R. Reng, a native of Sioux Rapids, Iowa. During his tenure the academic and physical growth that has taken place at A-State continues to astound visitors and alumni alike. Even as the enrollment continues to boom, so does the construction on campus. The worth of the College's physical plant has increased some 400 per cent since 1955. The total worth of A-State's plant is now estimated at over $27 million. This figure represents only the existing buildings and funds spent on improvements and repairs of those buildings. Movable fixtures and equipment in the buildings are not included in the total figure. The Arkansas Legislative Audit Committee placed the value of Arkansas State's plant in 1955 at $5,713,220.00. During the period between 1955 ad 1965, nearly nine million dollars in new buildings renovation, reconstruction and improvements were added to the physical plant. Architects' concept Is now a reality. Ar- IBM computer room with high-speed elecs Kansas State's administrative offices moved tronic equipment for data-processing college into new quarters last May from offices in records and stastistics. Wilson Hall. A highlight of the building is an This is the architects' drawing of the proposed three-story dining hall and snack bar at A-State. The building is planned to seat about 1,500 on the first two levels with the top floor being a snack bar. Construction is slated to start this year. A-State's skyline will expand with a more modernistic touch when construction begins on the above pictured Science Center build- ing. Cost of the building will be around $254 million. This summer Arkansas State was granted permission by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools to epxand its graduate program to include Master of Arts and the Master of Science degrees. A-State has been awarding Master of Science in Education degrees since 1955. .The expansion of the graduate program was initiated to keep pace with the exploding student enrollment and to be of more service to the Sudanis of Arkansas. The percentage of faculty members at Arkansas State holding the earned doctor's degree lias increased from 18 percent in 1952, to more than 40 per cent in 1965. Academic majors offered on the campus have increased by 50 per cent during this period while course offerings have increased over 100 per cent. A-State's projected enrollment, in a survey made by the Arkansas Commission on Higher Educational Finance, shows Arkansas State will have a student enrollment of over 10,500 by 1973 and by 1976 will have an enrollment of over 12,500. These figures do not include A-State's Junior College at Beebe. While the student enrollment and physical plant have grown, so has the academic structure. The A-State administrative structure now consists of seven schools and two separate divisions. These are School of Agriculture, School of Business, School of Education, School of Fine Arts, School of Liberal Arts, School of Science, Graduate School, the Division of Radio Journalism and Printing, and the Division of Military Science. • Work Is progressing on Arkansas State's new men's dormitory. The building, which will house over 1,200 men students, Is scheduled for completion in September of 1967.
What members have found on this page
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 8,800+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
- Millions of additional pages added every month