Philadelphia Daily News from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on August 4, 1979 · Page 2
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

Philadelphia Daily News from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania · Page 2

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Issue Date:
Saturday, August 4, 1979
Page 2
Start Free Trial

2 Saturday. Aueust 4. 1979 Philadelphia Daily News t i i II Ft - - Augie Ratner ran ad for his own funeral; 200 came " Me Checked Out With a Checklist MINNEAPOLIS (LTD Augie Ratner had his long-planned funeral yesterday and the rabbi who presided said he could imagine Augie watching from another world, chomping on a Havana cigar and muttering '"Not bad, not bad." Eight years ago, Ratner, a fun-loving, good-hearted ex-boxer and bar owner, was so curious about how many people would attend his funeral he ran an ad in a newspaper asking who planned to come, then drew up a "guest list." Friday, his funeral drew about 200 people to Temple Israel. S-AUGIE WOULD BE pleased to see all the guests who came and he would welcome with a grin those who didn't make reservations." said Rabbi Max Shapiro. "Who knows. He may be somewhere with a big Havana cigar in his mouth, saying, 'Not bad, not bad." Augie ran one of the last real strip joints in downtown Minneapolis until he retired 10 years ago He was a friend of celebrities and' unknowns. He contributed to hospitals, bought bicycles for poor kids and was liked and admired for his good nature and generosity. HE DIED IN A nursing home Wednesday, apparently of a heart attack. He is survived by his wife and two daughters. 'FIX? )h ' M Augie was 70 when he ran his newspaper ad saying he had been moved by the number of people who attended a friend's funeral, but that the friend would never know how many came. "Now being in good health and of sound mind with favorable actuarial conjecture." the ad said, "but counting myself among those humans not likely to live forever, I would like to know in advance what my funeral is likely to draw. "THEREFORE, IF YOU plan to attend my funeral please drop me a line at the above address so that I may know whether to expect you." Hundreds wrote or telephoned they'd be there. The rabbi said he visited Augie at the nursing home 10 days ago, told him death isn't always an enem. "That's enough, Augie," he recalls telling him. "You've had it. It's time to throw in the towel." Augie answered, "Just one more round." The rabbi said they took a walk in the corridor, Augie waved at all the people, had lunch, and finally said. "I'm ready." Not long after that, the rabbi said, "Death took him by the hand." Eli -Wanteds Sentenced in By BARBARA ORMSBY "We keep finding things of Elizabeth's," Frank Lande said yesterday, after the former Warlock convicted of hanging Lande's troubled daughter in a Folcroft garage late in 1971 . was finally sentenced to life imprisonment. "Well never forget." ' f Lande, 59, of the Overbrook Park ' section of Philadelphia, had hounded Robert Nauss, now 27, and other members of the Warlocks motorcycle club, from the time his daughter, Elizabeth Ann Lande, 21, disappeared on Dec. 11. 1971. But her body was never found, and Nauss. who had dated Lande. was not charged with her murder until mid-1977. Lande had persuaded authorities to reopen the case after learning of a of murders and disappearances of other young women with links to the motorcyclists. Police originally believed Lande, a blonde Philadelphia Community College freshman with emotional problems, was a runaway. LANDE WAS NOT jubilant as he left the Delaware County Courthouse in Media after Nauss was sentenced yesterday. Rather he was aware of the emotional havoc the crime has visited upon Nauss's family, as well as his own. "They will suffer with this the rest of their lives," Lande said. "Mrs. Lande and I extend sympathy to his family." Before the sentencing, Nauss's ill -mother approached the Landes, was joined by her husband, a victim of five heart attacks in recent years, and the two sets of parents spoke quielty for a few minutes. As the silent Nauss was led away by sheriffs deputies, his blond, 6-year-old son. Tommy, twisted in his courtroom seat and asked Nauss's wife, Mary, who herself has suffered two nervous breakdowns: "Where did daddy go?" Lande and his wife, Frances, still do not know where their daughter lies buried. IT IS SOMEWHERE IN the Pine No Crying Wolf On This Timber A local couple apparently had more trouble than the country's pioneers in getting a log cabin built. "I'm sure that if they had cut down the trees themselves it would have gone up sooner," said their lawyer, Edward M. Dunham, after filing a damage suit against the manufacturers of the building. Robert C Cobler, 54, owner of an actuarial firm, and his wife, Lela West Cobler, had contracted in December 1977 to pay $46,563 to Northern Products Inc.. Bangor, Me., for the design and materials of a log cabin to be built in the 1400 block of Rene Rd., in Villanova. The design they bought, however, was allegedly faulty and had to be corrected. And much of the material they received was missing or of the wrong size, the Cobler's contend. The Coblers yesterday sued Northern Products in VS. District Court, seeking $23,707 in damages. -- i Garage Hanging of Woman f N f JIN Robert Nauss: body never found Barrens of New Jersey, another former Warlock testified at the December 1977 trial in which Nauss was convicted of first-degree murder, despite the absence of a corpse. Nauss had said, his friend testified, that he had cut off Lande's hands and feet, pulled her teeth and poured lime on the body to prevent identification. Despite the grim testimony, some of it relating to his daughter's psychi 1-95 Pact Reached; Demonstration Off By JIM SMITH and MARY JO MEISNER City Councilman Melvin Green-berg called off plans to blockade portions of 1-95 today after an agreement to open a 2.2-mile stretch of the highway through center city was worked out yesterday. "There will be a postponement of the planned demonstration . . . until next Friday," Greenberg told U.S. District Judge Clifford Scott Green yesterday afternoon, after the judge reviewed a draft agreement that would allow the opening of the highway in about two weeks. Lawyers for PennDOT, the city and a neighborhood group that has opposed the opening of the stretch through Society Hill and Queen Village reached the tentative agreement yesterday after more than a day of non-stop negotiations. ALTHOUGH THE parties involved have not yet signed the pact, lawyers for all parties indicated they expected little resistance. John Hunt, attorney for the Neighborhood Preservation Coalition composed of residents of Society Hill and Queen Village said he will recommend acceptance of the agreement at a coalition meeting Tuesday night The attorneys told Judge Green they would report back to him by the middle of next week with the signed papers. Details of the agreement were not released, but Judge Green indicated that the unused portion of 1-95 could open within two weeks after the pact was signed. The 2-2-mile stretch, which has been virtually ready since atric problems, Lande who main-. tained he knew from the first what had happened was determined to pursue the truth. One reason, he said, was to bring peace to his wife, Frances. - "A woman takes it different than a t man there's alwways the hope that she's alive," he had said. "My wife couldn't accept her death. I knew that she was dead, but you have to wonder, was she still alive and suffering somewhere? And that was tearing us apart." LANDE SAID HE SUSPECTED Nauss because the motorcyclist and his daughter had been dating on and off before the disappearance, and Nauss had been calling the Lande home daily. " After Elizabbeth's disappearance, Nauss never called back, Lande said. "That's how he hung himself." Nauss's attorney, A. Roy DeCaro, told Judge William R. Toll that he would appeal to the State Supreme - Court. The county court turned down an earlier appeal. Nauss also was to be sentenced yesterday for his part in the Oct. 29, 1976, gang rape of a 22-year-old Media woman. But County Judge Rita Pres- cott deferred sentence to give Nauss time for a psychiatric evaluation. i - Melvin Greenberg: no blockade last March, needs to be painted, cleaned and equipped with signs before it is safe for driving. THE NPC HAS BEEN pushing for completion of $2.5-million sound barriers and a partial highway cover since 1975. PennDOT has begun construction of the sound barriers, which won't be finished until December, but the coalition wanted assurances that work would not halt once the road is opened. In the meantime, many Northeast residents led by Greenberg have been calling for an immediate opening. They charge they are losing time, damaging their cars and wasting gas by being forced to take the Delaware Ave. detour when driving to work. Veterans Stadium or Philadelphia International Airport.

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 21,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Publisher Extra® Newspapers

  • Exclusive licensed content from premium publishers like the Philadelphia Daily News
  • Archives through last month
  • Continually updated

Try it free