The Catholic Advance from Wichita, Kansas on December 23, 1949 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Catholic Advance from Wichita, Kansas · Page 1

Publication:
Location:
Wichita, Kansas
Issue Date:
Friday, December 23, 1949
Page:
Page 1
Start Free Trial
Cancel

7 tail etely-"".B( . 4- " Structure Rebuilt At Cost of $8,500;: Furnace Installed Aleppo. The work that transformed the white frame church into a beautiful Colonial-style red brick church is completed. The newly finished St. Mary church, with its Ililt Ftp? ! Cooaaetad with NCWO Wublnrtoa Nm Bvdwittn by Its On Imni Win, Ha , Intanitiou! Nt aniM Dillr VIrM, IU Own Special Stnrlea, Rtllrlona Ntwi Strrlea, IntMNCatboli FrH Ascney, Hlariaa Barrios, Kallisaa 'New Look' for Aleppo Ghurch Mm Fkoloa, InUrnatiosal IlliutraUd Ktwa, and NCWO Piotura larrloa , J 1 I : immmm mm mmmmms . - - ' , ; 1 ''-'iV.!Y... " j-TS J . ' -" ' t 1 ABOVE IS A NORTHWEST view of the trim New England Colonial-styled St. Mary's church at Aleppo. The church, which was Parish Moves Forward $5,000 Improvements Finished On St. Catherine's of Dubuque Dubuque. The Rev. Louis Du Pont, pastor 'of St. Catherine's parish, reports that improvements costing more than $5,000 have been completed. Parish buildings are now in "tiptop" shape. ' List of major improvements includes the -installation of a new 450,000-BTU gas furnace in the church and two new 110,000-BTU gas furnaces in the parish hall; the installa Final Thanksgiving Drive Report Over 25 Tons Are Shipped By Diocese to War Needy This Week By the Editor ft! 1 The treat Featt of Chriitmaa was first celebrated in Egypt, and ia Rem as early as the fourth century. The Christmas-tree appeared in Strasburf at the beginning of the serenth century. It remained for St. Francis of As-sisi to popularize the crib and to fire it the form in which it is known at the present time. The stirring "Adeste Fideles," prob ably of French or German author' ship, was first used in France and England at Benediction at Christmastide about ISO years ago The relics of the crib that are preserved at St. Mary Major' in Rome consist of five pieces of board of sycamore wood. The precious boards are kept in a rich reliquary that is adorned with bas-reliefs and statuettes, the gift of wealthy and pious duchess. The reliquary rests on a high altar that Pius IV (1559-1565) restored and upon which since that time the crib relics have been exposed for the veneration of the faithful yearly on the eve of Christmas. Very likely angels are hovering around those dear relics. St. Mary Major's, the mother J of all churches dedicated to the Mother of Cod, rises on the historical Esquiline hill like a translation ia stone of the decision of the Council of Ephesus, which, in 431, defined the divine motherhood of Mary. The marvelous origin of the old Basilica is well known Mary herself, by means of a miraculous fall of snow in the middle of the month of August, made known the site of the new church which she desired to be built in her honor in the Eternal City. The interior of the centuries-old Basilica is gorgeous. The paneled ceiling alone gives a Renaissance note, with this peculiaritythat Sangello covered it with the first gold to come from America. The happy custodian of the precious crib relics, the Santa Maria Basilica, also ha a Marian gar den. In it stand a high-fluted column that serves a a pedestal for the statue of Mary that flashes in the open sky of Rome like a lily in a golden dust At this hour, a world that is bleeding from a thousand wound inflicted by a global war that vu uppoiedly waged to end all war, look to Bethlehem with wistful eye. For there wa born the Prince of Peace I True, atomic-minded expert and so-called statesmen who ignore the divine warning that they who put their trust in the sword hall perish with it, are preparing for World war III. People everywhere are hungering for peace and praying for peace. We may be utv that the Prince of Peace is thinking of His soar suffering rS hildren. I I The nigh ' ) (Turn to 1 - gnc inat mr t.oveiy iaay Paget Column I) The Rev. Roland Nett, Vice Chancellor of the Dioceae of Wichita and director of the clothing drive for the suffering people of Europe, held in the diocese during Thanksgiving week, announces that out oi 13U parishes, 80 have reported a donation of 60,914 pounds, or more than 25 tons of clothing, shoes, and soap. They were packed in 1,659 cases and shipped to the NCWC warehouse in Long Island, N.Y. A total of 300 in cash was also contributed. Bishop uarroll says he is highly pleased "with the splendid generosity of the clergy, the other religious, and the devoted laity of the diocese." "They certainly have the Christmas spirit," he declared. Church Architect Henry Brinkman Dies in Emporia Emporia. Funeral services for Henry W. Brinkman, who died Dec. 14, we're "held Dec. 17 in Sacred Heart church here. Mr. Brinkman was the senior member of the Emporia firm, Brinkman & Hagen, which has designed 125 Catholic churches in a five-state area. This firm probably drew mofe plans for churches in the Wichita diocese than any other single architectural firm. Its latest designs were those for St. Mary's in Claflin and St. Bonifaces in Sharon. Among structures designed by Mr. Brinkman are St. Peter's church, now the Cathedral in Kansas City, Kans.: Our Lady of Sor rows church, Kansas City, Mo.; massive St. Mary s Cathedral in Grand Island, Neb.; and Ward high school, Kansas City, Kans. Mr. Brinkman, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Brinkman, was born April 30, 1881, in the province of Westphalia in Germany. He learned to walk while on shipboard on a voyage to America with his father, a cabinetmaker, and his moOier. During the trip the ship lost its propeller and was towed to the American port. , The Brinkman family first set tled in Decatur, 111., then moved to the thriving German settlement in Olpe. Mr. Brinkman came to Em poria in 1907, and he and Miss Elizabeth K. Kuhlmann were mar ried in Olpe, June 24, 1908. He had been an architect in Emporia since his graduation from the school of architecture, Kansas State college, Manhattan, in 1907. Survivors include the wife and one daughter. Mrs. Robert Carlson of Aremicus; two sons, Joseph Jerome Brinkman and James Warren Brinkman of the home; four sis ters, Misses Louise and Fredericka Brinkman, Tulsa, Okla.; Mrs. Mary Carle, Bartlesville, Okla.; and Mrs. J. F. Kuhlmann of Emporia; and four brothers, Nicholas Brinkman, Evansville, Ind.; Joe and Alexander F. Brinkman of Olpe, and Leo J. Brinkman of Emporia. originally a white frame structure, was faced with brick, received a new foundation, and was repainted on the interior. The men of St. Mary's did almost all the work. tion of steel window frames in the new church basement ; and the purchase of a deep freeze, eight-cubic-feet capacity, for the rectory; the purchase of 100 folding chairs and 12 folding tables for the parish hall; the remodeling of the stage in the hall: the purchase and in stallation of a new Minshall-Estey electric organ for the church; the nurchase of three artistic chairs for the Banctuary and six r.ew statues tor the altar; and the-re- gildmg of all the candlesticks and candelabra. A complete set of new vestments was purchased and a new reiriger-ator and electric stove were installed in the sisters' convent. The old convent chapel in the school basement was replaced with a new chapel, having new walls, ceiline. altar, pews, and other furnishings. The chapel was built by 10 men of the parish under the supervision of Father Du Pont. The money for these improvements was raised by the parish ioners and friends of the parish. Father Du Pont states that "the people of the Dubuque parish cooperated 100 per cent. I have only the highest praise for the interest they take in all things concerning the welfare of their parish. They have a parish pride that is most commendable." Father Du Pont was made pas tor of Dubuque July 28, 1948. He succeeded the Rev. Frank Baum- stark. The parish has 42 families, The church property extends to the county road that marks the dividing line between the Wichita and the Sahna dioceses, in north Barton county. Christmas Music Presented Public In Garden Plain Garden Plain. Each evening a two-hour concert of traditional Christmas carols is being sent out to the people of Garden Plain. This concert is made possible through a unique arrangement whereby rerords are played in the priest's study in the rectory and amplified in the belfry of St. Anthoay's church. Four loudspeakers carry the music to the community. Another hookup connects the Hammond church organ with the amplifiers for the broadcasting of Christmas music. Miss Mary Lou Wiewel presides at the organ for these broadcasts. The music of the Christmas Midnight Mass will also be sent over the air to those unable to attend. Amoner the many beautiful rec ords heard every evening are Bing Crosby's "Silent Night," Kate Smith's "O Come, All Ye Faithful," Schubert's "Ave Maria," and carols by the world famous Paulist choir. St. Mary Collegienne Places in English Test Xavier. Patricia Patterson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Patterson, Pittsburg, made one of the 10 highest ratings in the co-perative English test given by the Educational Testing program for college freshmen in St. Mary col lege, Aavier. miss rauergon ia a 1949 graduate of St Mary's high school, where she was the valedictorian of her class. At St. Mary's Miss Patterson is a member of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine and National Federation of Catholic College Students. (Nam VOL. LXXXVI. No. 13. St. Theresa Church Through Generosity St. Theresa. The Rev. George Karlin, O.F.M.Cap., pastor, reports that the improvements made in the interior of St. Anthony's church during the year have given the 33-year-old edifice a new look and made it an attractive center of Catholic worship. The St. Anthony church is located in the extreme southwestern corner of Wichita county. In the spring, more than $2,000 was expended for interior decorations. This sum was the gift of Alois P. Becker, . a parishioner whose love for the house of God induced him to make this generous sacrifice. Alex Linenberger, well-known decorator from Hays, and his son, Donald, were in charge of the work. The redecorating of the statues for the altar and sanctuary were done in the Linenberger studio in Hays. Then, dur ing, the fall,' rubber tile flooring and Celotex for the walls were furnished by Joe and Bill Wewer of Leoti. These were the first im provements made on -the church since its erection in 1 a 16. Parish Established In 1886 St. Anthony's parish is one of the oldest parishes in Central-West ern Kansas. It was established in 1886, when six Catholic families moved into the then prairie com munity. They built a small frame church the following spring. With in a year the need of a larper church became imperative, and so a second and larger church was built in 1887. At this time the parish had 30 families. The original church was turned into a dis trict school. Fire Gutted Church in 1916 . On March 21, 1916r the church was burned to. the ground when a great prairie fire swept over thousands of acres in this part of Wichita county. Fanned by a 50- mile-an-hour gale, the fire swept everything m its path. Not a single piece of church furnishing could be saved. Within a few hours after the loss of their church, the un daunted parishioners held a meet ing and made plans for the build ing of a new church, their tnira parish church, which was renovated and redecorated this year. Pastor and parishioners are proud of their beautiful St. Anthony's church and with good reason. They know from hard experience the meaning of the Kansas state motto; Per aspera ad astra. They have had to make many sacrifices in order to have the com forts of their religion. The sacrifices were willingly made, how ever, because these people haye the apostolic zeal. Father Karlin is proud of them and their achievements. THE BOYS' CHOIR sine at the Midnight Mass in - r- : 71 ' : - tvr ?w?t ,t i mas.. The choir comprises 24 boys from the fifth, sixth, seventh, and Sister M. Carmela trains them end the Rev. Vincent Brown directs Registered in the U. S. Patent Meets Death While Hunting Leo Mingenback Killed In McPherson Accident - McPherson. Members of St. Joseph's parish and the people of this community were shocked by the tragic death Dec. 12 of Leo Mingenback, 19-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Paul M. Mingenback, prominent citizens of McPherson. Leo accidentally shot and killed himself while hunting on his father's property that adjoins the Mingenback residence. When he failed to return home for supper a search was begun by Mr. Mingenback ' and Paul Eisenharti When they failed to find the boy they asked the National Guard to be called out. His body was found about 11 p.m. in a spot where some salvage pipes had been piled. The boy's foot was wedged tightly between two pipes, which indicated that his shotgun hit a pipe and was discharged when he fell. Death was probably instantaneous, it was thought that the accident occurred between 4 and 6 o'clock. Leo was a sophomore at McPherson college. He is survived by his parents, a brother, Carl, and a sister, Lillian. The family is highly esteemed by the people of McPherson and, in particular, by the parishioners of St. Joseph's parish. The parish-church was not nearly large enough to accommodate the large crowd of mourners who gathered to attend Leo's funeral Dec. . 15. The Rev. John Moeder, pastor, officiated and delivered the Bermon.. Burial waain the McPherson . cemetery. Mem-1 bers of the National Guard, of which Leo was a member, fired three volleys at the grave. Jesuit Priests' Choir To Be Heard Over KFBI The Mt. St. Michael choir, consisting of 24 Jesuit priests, will present a special Christmas program featuring choral music by Palestrina, Handel, and Bach from 9:30 to 10 p.m. on KFBI, Wichita, (1070 kilocycles) on Christmas eve. A full hour broadcast of the midnight Mass in St. Louis' Cathedral, New Orleans, will follow on the same station at 12 midnight. Cathedral School Boys' Choir OF CATHEDRAL grade St. Mary's Cathedral, W ichita, on Christ Office) FRIDAY, DECEMBER 23, 1949 Improved of Patron "The Bishop Gets Around" (EPISCOPAL APPOINTMENTS) (Episcopal Appointments) Friday, Dec. 16: Bishop Carroll attended the dinner in St. Joseph's hospital, Wichita, honoring the Rt. Rev. Monsignor William Farrell, chaplain of the institution, on the 44th anniversary of his ordination. Sunday, Dec. 18: Bishop Car roll broadcast a Christmas sermon over station KFH, Wichita, at 11:30 a.m. At 3 p.m. the Bishop attended the annual Christmas dinner in the St, Joseph's home in El Do rado. Monday, Dec. 19: Bishop Carroll baptized and received into the Church 10 converts. The ceremony took place in the Cathedral at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 21: Bishop Carroll attended the annual Christmas party for the Colored orphan children at the Phyllis-Wheatley home, Wichita. Friday, Dec. 23: Bishop Car roll visits the Connor home for Old Folks, in Wichita, at 7 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 25: Bishop Carroll will Pontificate at the Christmas Midnight Mass in St. Mary' Cathe dral. He will also deliver the mon. Both the Mass and the ser mon will be broadcast over station KANS, Wichita. school will eighth grades. them in the trim white and green colonial ful landmarks of Western The entire church has been brick veneered with the exception of the upper half of the tower. In addition a complete new 26-inch reinforced foundation was placed underneath, and the entire interior was repainted and a 440,000-BTU forced-air furnace was in stalled. The job of landscaping the parish grounds to set off the picturesque church was also com- pieiea. ' Donated Labor s Saved $11,500 The work,' which took four months to complete, was done by the men of the parish. The pastor, Father Harry A. Cabell, reported that there was 100-perrcent cooperation among the men with every man workine on the job. Thus the rebuilding of the little church, estimated to cost $20,000, has been completed for $8,500. The little church will stand as a monument to the heroic effort of the men of St. Mary 'a. Harold Born was the superintendent of the work and helped design the exterior. The west front of the church was redesigned, with the two west windows closed in and two false windows outlined for architectural effect. All the window frames were repaired and Cathedral glass was .installed throughout the church. Besides the structural renova tion a basement, 16 by 14 feet, was excavated underneath the church for the furnace and storage room. A cement drive and walk were also laid on the west front of the church extending south to the sisters' house. El Dorado Parish Thanked by French El Dorado. Lawrence J. Collier, a member of St. John's parish and president of the Butler county UNESCO chapter, reports the receipt of a letter from D. Vannier, secretary of the B e a u g e n c y (France) -El Dorado association. (Beaueencv was adopted by El Dorado about the same time that Wichita adopted Orleans) . The let ter acknowledges and tells ol the -disposal of the various gifts for warded from, Butler county. The local St. Vincent de Paul conference, of which Mr. Collier is president, gave about $50 worth of used clothing to that particular drive for Beaugency residents. In this packet was a carton of woolen baby clothes, and Mr. Vannier states that these will be given to the first baby of Beaugency born after midnight,' Dec. 24, in the Catholic hospital there. About 60 members of four dis cussion clubs of St. John's parish sent Christmas cards with little token gifts to citizens of El Do rado's adopted city m France. Through the summer months the children of St. John's school have carried on correspondence with the children of the grade school in Beaugency. J 1 V sanctuary whenever they sing the Gregorian Propers of the High Mass. Cathedral Bovs' choir will sing Christmas hymns on a Christmas day broadcast. The hoir s first public appearance was at the Christmas party of the Daughters of Isabella, Dee. 12. In the background is the Nativity window of St. Mary's Cathedral (Photos by Father A. A. Berth) tower, is one of the beauti Sedgwick county. Forty Years Ago This Veek Items from the Files of the Catholic Advance, Predecessor of the Advance Register. Secretary Knox boarded a warship recently and sailed for Nicaragua, to impress, so to speak, that republic with a show of American power. But the big warship got stuck in the mud the warriors on board had a two weeks' picnic while the tug were pulling the big tub out of the mud. Bishop Hennessy left Sunday for St. Louis to attend the silver jubilee celebration, of Archbishop Glennon. Advertisement: "Fore! Tour-ins; car with all equipment. $1,-000. Equipment: 2 side oil lamps, tail lamp, tuba born, (as lamps and generator, windshield, speedometer, top. OTHER MODELS; Roadster, $950; Landaulet, $1,100, Coupe, $1,150, Town car, $1,250, Tourabout, $1,000. All bodies interchangeable. Tho Ford car is a bad weather car as well as for good weather. It is the last car yon see when a storm is on and the first you see after it is over. The Jones Auto Co. Wichita." The "leakage" in the Church in thiB country during the past 50 years has been variously estimated at from 2 to 15 millions. Were it not for the loss of those who were once Catholic, our Catholic population would now total 25 millions within the United States. Bazaar in Great Bend Nets $4,250 for Parish Great Bend. The annual St. Rose parish bazaar, held in the school substory on Saturday, Dee. 10, was an all-day affair and was well attended by Christmas shoppers, both ai; noon and in the evening. Monsignor John Cody reports that the net proceeds, $4,250, will go toward the building fund for the new auditorium. This structure is nearing completion and Monsignor Cody said that "if everything clicks into place at just the right time," the buildine? may be completed by Feb. 1 of next year. The auditorium will have a modern kitchen in which food can be prepared for as many as 500 persons at one time. Trappist's Jubilee Valley Ranch, N. Mex. Dom Columban Hawkins, O.C.S.O., Superior of the Trappist Monastery of Our Lady of Guadalupe here, noted the silver jubilee of his ordination at a quiet ceremony at the monastery Dec. 22. Father Hawkins joined the Columban Foreign Mission society in Australia and spent six years in it before he joined the Trappists in Valley Falls, R. I., in 1930. ' 1 r r-5 J -3 - .a

Clipped articles people have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 22,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free