Logansport Pharos-Tribune from Logansport, Indiana on March 23, 1988 · Page 12
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Logansport Pharos-Tribune from Logansport, Indiana · Page 12

Publication:
Location:
Logansport, Indiana
Issue Date:
Wednesday, March 23, 1988
Page:
Page 12
Start Free Trial
Cancel

Page 12 Pharos-Tribune, Logansport, Indiana, Wednesday, March 23, 1988 TODAY'S WEATHER tOGANSPORT INQtANA TIAAPf RA1URES Q Temperatures Today 60 HiQh 63 Recorded 4:09 p.m. Tuesday Low 34 Recorded 9a.m. Tuesday QWind Today 15 CHy Evansvllle... Indianapolis. Fort Wayne . South Bend. Lafayette ... Terre Haute. High Low Preclp 80 32 0.00 67 28 0.00 54 21 0.00 53 24 0.00 68 28 0.00 72 31 0.00 Direction W Wind chill 50 Peak gust 25mpn Recorded 12:54 p.m. Tuesday ^ Barometer Today 29.89 Falling Change/Hour 0.01 High 30.22 Recorded 9:03 Tuesday Low 29.88 Recorded 8:47 a.m. today 3 Rainfall Today 0.00 inches Month 0.12 inches Today's readings taken at 9a.m. today. Highs and lows recorded since last reading at 9 a.m. yesterday. 1-2-4: Tonight partly cloudy and mild with a 30 percent chance of showers. Low In the middle 40s. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Thursday mostly cloudy, breezy and warm with a 40 percent chance of showers. High in the lower 60s. 3-6: Tonight partly cloudy and mild with a 30 percent chance of showers. Low in the upper 40s. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Thursday mostly cloudy, breezy and warm with a 30 percent chance of showers. High in the middle 60s. 5-7: Tonight partly cloudy and very mild with a 30 percent chance of showers. Low in the lower 50s. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Thursday mostly cloudy, breezy and warm with a 30 percent chance of thundershowers. High in the upper 60s. 8-9-10-12-13: Tonight partly cloudy and very mild with a 20 percent chance of showers. Low in the lower 50s. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Thursday mostly cloudy, breezy and warm with a 30 percent chance of thundershowers. High around 70. A cold front wili move into Indiana tonight from the plains, the National Weather Service said. The air will continue to be dry, but a few springlike showers can be expected. The low temperatures tonight will be above the normal high temperatures for this time of year. The weak cold front will remain in central Indiana Thursday, continuing the state's chance of showers. Greater cloud cover Thursday will cool temperatures with highs 15 lo 20 degrees above normal. There'll be a chance of showers Friday with highs in the mid 50s to mid 60s and lows in the 40s. The outlook for Saturday and Sunday is fair and cooler with highs in the mid 40s to mid 50s and lows in the 30s. Friday through Sunday: A chance of showers Friday with highs in the mid SOs to mid 60s and lows in the 40s. Fair and cooler Saturday and Sunday, with highs In the mid 40s to mid SOs and lows in the 30s. '30 60 FRONTS: ISNOW IJRAIN SHOWERS Map shows maximum temperatures. Albany.N.Y. Albuquerque Anchorage Asnevllle Atlanta Atlantic City Austin Baltimore Boise Boston Brownsville Buffalo Charlotte,N.C. Cheyenne Chicago Cincinnati Cleveland Columbus,Ohio Denver Des Molnes M 34 Detroit Duluth Fairbanks Grand Rapids Honolulu Houston Indianapolis Jackson,Miss. Jacksonville Juneau Kansas City Los Anceles Louisville Memphis Miami Beach Milwaukee Mpls-SI Paul Nashville New Orleans New York City Orlando Philadelphia Phoenix Pittsburgh Portland.Maine Portland,Ore. Providence Richmond Sacramento St Louis Salt Lake City San Antonio San Diego San Francisco Sin Juan,P.P. Seattle 45 30 88 80 47 34 40 16 58 46 .30 42 19 a x 74 S3 82 58 54 38 70 85 87 53 63 S3 85 70 54 44 .33 Winds hit Northwest; Mild rest of nation Rain and high,,winds howled thrOugh-^he Northwest today after gusts up to 68 mph felled trees, killing a teen-age girl and injuring another. Osita Emetaron of Portland, Ore., was struck by a tree at Ecola State Park on the northern Oregon coast Tuesday afternoon, said Cannon Beach Police Officer Kristen Knight. The girl was dead on arrival at Seaside General Hospital. The other girl, a 14-year-old with Ms. Emetaron whose name was not made public, was treated at the hospital and released. Gusts up to 68 mph were recorded in Seaside. A gale warning remained in effect today along the Washington coast and for Oregon's coastal waters. A high wind warning was posted for the northern and central Oregon coast, and a high wind watch was issued for eastern Washington. Rain showers were numerous along the coast of Washington and Oregon late Tuesday. A heavy snow warning was in effect for Oregon's northern Cascade Mountains, where up to 8 inches of snow was expected. A snow advisory was up lor the Cascades in southern Oregon and Washington. National Temperature Extremes High Tuesday afternoon — 91 at Borrego, Calif. Low Wednesday morning — 3 at Montpeller, VI. What was the most fierce winter storm of the past decade? The great Midwest blizzard of January 1978 Faces Johnny's back in the black Teresa Tunis, 12, LongfeUow Entertainer Johnny Cash was honored by Gov. Ned McWherter and a galaxy of country music stars at the opening of an exhibit about the career of "the man in black." "I'm overwhelmed," Cash said at Tuesday night's ceremonies at the Country Music Hall of Fame. "I'd like to report that country music is alive and well everywhere we've been lately, and we've been everywhere.'' Among the performers in attendance were Waylon Jennings, Bill Monroe, Johnny Rodriguez, Chet Atkins, Mel McDaniel and Emmylou Harris. The exhibit, to be displayed for two years, includes photos, posters, films of Cash's early performances, costumes, musical instruments and mementos of his career. The exhibit is sponsored by the Holiday Corp. of Memphis. I Cash Kidney problems keep Deano away from pack Dean Martin should be hospitalized for several more days with kidney problems that forced him off the "Rat Pack" tour with Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr., a hospital spokesman said. "His condition is fair. It appears that it is a flareup of an old kidney problem," Cedars-Sinai Medical Center spokesman Ron Wise said Tuesday. Wise said no surgery was contemplated for Martin, 70, who was admitted Monday. Davis and Sinatra will continue the tour without Martin, said publicist Susan Reynolds, who left open the possibility that Martin would rejoin his buddies later. Martin NBC adds wins to its schedule NEW YORK (AP) - NBC, predicting its biggest season win yet, continues to add potentially successful new series to its schedule, while CBS, facing its first last-place ratings finish ever, can't get its new comedies arrested. ABC fared best with new fare last week, adding the critically praised nostalgia comedy "The Wonder Years" to the A.C. Nielsen Co. top 10. NBC's pilot for "In the Heat of the Night" tied for 15th in the rankings, though it remains to be seen how the series will do on a weekly basis. CBS, meanwhile, failed with its attempt to add new comedies to its Monday and Tuesday nights. The best performer was "Eisenhower & Lutz," which ranked 31st. For the week that ended Sunday, NBC had an average, prime-time rating of 15.8; CBS 12.9 and ABC 12.6. With four weeks left in the season, NBC leads with a 16.3, ABC 13.9 and CBS 13.6. CBS would have to beat ABC by two points a week to tie for second. CBS has never finished a season in third place in the 35 years that Nielsen has done television ratings. THE NIELSENS NEW YORK (AP) — Here are the prime-time television ratings as compiled by the A.C. Nielsen Co. for the week of March 14-20. Top 20 listings include the week's ranking, with full season-to-date ranking in parentheses, rating for the week, and total homes. An "X" in parentheses denotes one-time-only presentation, "P" indicates premiere and "NA" indicates not available. Shows from 21 on include only the weekly ranking. A rating measures the percentage of the nation's 88.6 million TV homes. 1. (1) "The Cosby Show," NBC, 28.2 rating, 25 million homes. 2. (2) "A Different World," NBC, 25.2 rating, 22.3 million homes. 3. (6) "Golden Girls," NBC, 22.5 rating, 19.9 million homes. 3. (9) "60 Minutes," CBS, 22.5 rating, 19.9 million homes. 5. (7) "Who's the Boss?", ABC, 22.3 rating, 19.8 million homes. 6. (3) "Cheers," NBC, 22.0 rating, 19.5 million homes. 7. (P) "Wonder Years, "ABC, 21.4 rating, 19 million homes. 8. (4) "Night Court, "NBC, 20,9 rating, 18.5 million homes. 9. (10) "Murder, She Wrote," CBS, 20.8 rating, 18.4 million homes. 10. (5) "Growing Pains, "ABC, 19.2 rating, 17 million homes. 11. (11) "ALF," NBC, 19.1 rating, 16.9 million homes. 12. (17) "Matlock," NBC, 18.5 rating, 16.4 million homes. 13. (16) "Amen," NBC, 18.1 rating, 16 million homes. 'Inherit the Wind," NBC, 18.0,15.9 million homes. ) "Valerie's Family," NBC, 17.9 rating, 15.8 million 14. (X) 15. (20: homes. 15. (X) "In the Heat of the Night," NBC, 17.9 rating, 15.8 million homes. 17. (26) "Newhart," CBS, 17.5 rating, 15.5 million homes. 18. (24) "Head of the Class, "ABC, 16.9 rating, 15 million homes. 18. (36) "ABC Monday Night Movie: Broken Angel," ABC, 16.9 rating, 15 million homes. 20. (10) "L.A. Law," NBC, 16.6 rating, 14.7 million homes. n Special prices in etieci Ititu March 27.1998. We reserve the right 10 limil quantities. Discount Liquor Specials 749 McCormick Vodka 1.75 liter. 10 79 Passport Scotch Whiskey 1.75 liter. E&J Brandy 799 McCormick Gin 1.75 liter. RonRico Rum 1.75 liter. White or Gold. 10 49 Calvert Extra Whiskey 1.75 liter. 10 79 Windsor Canadian Whisky 1.75 liter. Jim Beam Whiskey 1.75 liter. Kahlua 750 ml. bottle. Gallo Wine Budweiser or Bud 799 Light Beer f — Case of 24 cans. 1.5 liter. Cnablis Blanc, Rhine, Pink Chablis or Red Rose. EASTGATE Opm Doily 8 o.m.-9 p.m. Sumloy 9 o.m.-7 p.m. 733-2312 Copyright*' 1988 by Hook Drugs | —Available At All 3 Locations— U.S. 24 WEST Opwi D«Hy 9 a.m.-9 p.m. NORTH 3RD & MIAMI AVE. OPEN 24 HOURS 722-2289 Smdar9a.m.-7p.m. 722-1717

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free