Logansport Pharos-Tribune from Logansport, Indiana on March 17, 1988 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Logansport Pharos-Tribune from Logansport, Indiana · Page 1

Publication:
Location:
Logansport, Indiana
Issue Date:
Thursday, March 17, 1988
Page:
Page 1
Start Free Trial
Cancel

Butcher wins Iditarod 16 Fans, teams bid farewell to old gym Tornado Drills Twice Today Two statewide tornado drill periods will be held today, but Cass County Civil Defense Director Dale Turnpaugh said the best drill may have occurred last year. Turnpaugh said the way local emergency response officials responded to an ominous, black funnel cloud that hovered over Logansport's southwest side last spring convinced him that the county will react adequately if a tornado strikes. "We had county police and volunteer fire departments tracking that cloud from Logansport until it left the county. In my mind, that was probably the best preparation we could have had for an actual tornado." Turnpaugh said one added advantage to local businesses and residents of outlying areas in the county is the Plectron advance warning system activated in Logansport by either the fire department or the sheriff's department. "A Plectron is a monitor that doesn't do anything when there isn't a tornado, but when something does happen or could happen, it's just like a radio scanner. It kicks in right away." Turnpaugh said several local industries and all 11 volunteer fire departments in the county are equipped with Plectron warning boxes. Today's exercises will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. for area school corporations and from 7 to 9 p.m. for families to practice their preparedness. Warning sirens will be sounded in the drills. Cliver Return Security was tight as former Indiana State Trooper Jerry Cliver was returned to Indiana today. PAGE 6 NCAA Tourney Some teams show up just happy to be here. Others come in feeling a great desire to prove something to the basketball world. PAGE 11 Racer Killed Mickey Thompson's friends and acquaintances couldn't believe that the first man to travel more than 400 mph on land would be shot dead in an ambush in his driveway. PAGE 11 Ann Landers 17 Area/State 6 Business 15 Classified 19 Comics 18 Faces 10 Health 17 Heloise 17 Opinion 4 Nation 20 People 5 Sports 11 TV Guide 17 Weather 10 World 16 You lay you didn't (moll anything? We'/, what c&u ph<r 0n unuenled Phoroi Tribune doiu'fiidod you'll iintfllfre "SWtTSKCVlOf SUCCISS" bccaui* cKane*i o-'# pcw'i) ii*«»n1«lfy ulUhtfttmlt you fld*irfiief U.S. Troops To Honduras DLI.S. troops will not engage in combat, but were sent after reports Nicaraguan troops crossed the border WASHINGTON (AP) - The first of 3,200 American infantry and airborne troops flew to Honduras today in the most dramatic show of U.S. force in the six-year Nicaraguan war. Senate Democrats said President Reagan was guilty of "overreaction." The White House described the movement as "an emergency deployment readiness exercise" triggered by what it called the invasion of Honduras by 1,500 to 2,000 Nicaraguan forces pursuing Contra rebels. But the Nicaraguan government said again today that its troops had not crossed the border and called on the United Nations and the Organization of American States to "establish what the facts are." Shortly after 7 a.m. two battalions — about 2,000 troops — of the 82nd Airborne Division from Fort Bragg, N.C., began leaving on a three-hour flight to Palmerola Air Force Base in Honduras, about 125 miles from More on troops— turn to page 8 the reported hostilities, Those troops and an additional two battalions from the 7th Infantry Division at Fort Ord, Calif., due to leave later in the day, will be stationed at Palmerola. The 2,000 men from the 82nd Airborne were "excited," said Lt. Gen. John W. Foss, adding, "but I would not say they were nervous." Most of the men, being ferried on 26 transport planes leaving at 30-minute intervals, were flying directly to Palmerola, but about 800 would parachute into Honduran territory about 5 miles away and then move toward Palmerola, said the commander of the 82nd Airborne, Maj. Gen. Carl Stiner. Accompanying the men was a giant C-5 transport loaded with three light observation helicopters, four Cobra helicopter gunships, one Blackhawk helicopter, a command vehicle and ammunition. Nicaraguan Foreign Ministry spokesman Alejandro Bendana, interviewed from Managua on See Troops— Page 2 COSTA RICA Chicago Tribune Map Polish Pair Jailed In White Co. DThe two men were found at a White County farm near Wolcott and were able to speak very little English ByALVIAFREY Staff Writer WOLCOTT - Two Polish- speaking men from Chicago who were found lurking about on private property were apprehended Wednesday afternoon by the White County Sheriff's Department. White County Chief Deputy Dennis Cain said today that the men, Roman Kozlowski, 43, and Robert Bilat, 35, both of Chicago, were taken into custody shortly after 12:30 p.m. and are being held at White County Jail. Cain said the sheriff's department became aware of the situation after receiving a call from a woman who found Kozlowski standing in her kitchen around noon. Cain said the woman, who is very "shaken up" and wishes to remain unidentified, owns a farm house north of Wolcott. The woman, Cain said, attempted to speak to Kozlowski, but that he didn't appear to know much English and spoke in a Polish accent. See Jaiied— Page 2 Walden Doesn't Recall 2nd Shot Says he must have done it Souvenir Shirt Steve Summers/Pharos-Tribune Kari Wissinger shows off her souvenir shirt that she won at the Columbia-Winarnac girls basketball game Wednesday. The seventh and eighth grade games were the last to be played in the gym which was built 1950. The Columbia remodeling project will consume the present gym site by next fall. ByALVIAFREY Staff Writer DELPHI - Vaughn Walden testified Wednesday in Carroll County Court that although he didn't remember shooting his wife on June 23, he must have done so. His comment was made after prosecutor Robert Ives asked Walden if he shot her twice again after the first shot was fired. To that, Walden responded with "Apparently, I did." Walden's comment was one of many discrepancies during his five-hour testimony. Evidence was presented earlier in the trial that Walden suffered from memory loss and didn't remember pulling the trigger. And despite the fact that Walden told Detective Sgt. Herbert Clear that he pulled the gun out of the kitchen drawer on June 23, Walden testified Wednesday that it was Rebecca who found and pulled the gun out of the drawer. "She then went for cigarettes in the drawer where the gun had been placed," Walden said. "I reached down real fast, grabbed the gun, and smashed it down on the table." During the struggle that allegedly occurred in the kitchen, Walden testified that both Rebecca and he had their hands on the gun, but it was Rebecca whose finger was on the trigger. After the gun went off, Walden testified, his wife fell on his chest. "I grabbed the gun, and she fell backwards." During the cross examination, prosecuting attorney Robert Ives asked Walden if he believed that Rebecca meant to do him deadly harm and did he believe that his life was in danger. Walden responded "No," even though he told Briggs earlier yesterday that he was in fear of his own life. Clinton Circuit Judge Jack R. O'Neill then told the jury to disregard all testimony concerning Rebecca's character. Today, Judge O'Neill reversed his decision, stating that it was up to the jury to decide if Walden accidentally shot his wife or was acting in self-defense. Walden, with head downward and hands clutched, was visibly distraught throughout his testimony. Much of what he said was incoherent and mingled with tears. Monticello murder trial— page 8 today Four Charged In Iran-Contra Affair WASHINGTON (AP) - Independent Counsel Lawrence E. Walsh is leaving the door open for further criminal charges in the Iran-Contra affair following the indictment of Lt. Col. Oliver North and three others on charges of "deceitfully exploiting" U.S. weapons sales to Iran. The 23-count indictment charging that North, former national security adviser John Poindexter and two weapons dealers engaged in a criminal conspiracy "is simply an interim report" of the grand jury's 14-month investigation, Walsh told reporters. "The grand jury is not finished," Walsh said Wednesday after the panel returned the 101-page indictment against North, Poindexter and arms dealers Albert Hakim and retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Richard V. Secord. INDICTED North Secord Hakim Grand jurors will continue to meet because "they have un-. completed investigations," Walsh said, refusing to say if more criminal charges would be brought. The indictment charges that the defendants circumvented a statutory ban on U.S. military aid to the Nicaraguan Contra rebels "by deceitfully and without legal Sec North— Page 2 Phone 722-5000 It's A Day For Irish In Logansport ByLISAENDRAI People Page Editor Some will wear green and others will hoist a mug of green beer as an annual tip of the hat to the Irish, but there's also a parade to see and a party to attend today. St. Patrick's Day festivities began this morning when Logansport resident Pat Shannon and his family raised the Irish flag at the City Building. The Shannon family has presented the flag to the city to honor the day for the pa& 25 St. Patrick's Days. Shannon, who is half-Irish, summed up the spirit of the day: "The main thing is pride in your family tradition," he said. The annual St. Patrick's Day parade will be held tonight. It was canceled last year because of changes in the site of the church service. All Saints Catholic Church will kick off the Knights of Columbus festivities with Mass at 5:30 p.m., with Father John Kinney officiating. At approximately 6:30 p.m., a parade will form on Erie Avenue at Sixth Street and head east to the Knights of Columbus Hall on 17th Street. Jim O'Donnell and Bob Dougherty will serve as grand marshals for the parade and the Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus Color Guard will march along with other members of the organization. Becky Rivers will lead the parade costumed as a leprechaun. Shannon said the menu at the hall will include the traditional Irish stew. Rolls and coffee will also be served. A short program, with Francis Perrone as master of ceremonies, will be presented. A custom that began 15 years ago will also be followed at the dinner. Door prizes will be given away and the custom is that the person who wins the original Black Thorn Irish walking stick returns it the next year, Shannon said. A dance will be held from 8 to 11 p.m. with Sound and Light Unlimited providing the music. Mike Fincher and Mayor John Davis are serving as co-chairman for the event. Tickets are $3 per person and are available at the Knights of Columbus.

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free