THE DALLES TIMES-MOUNTAIXEER. 5 making it possible to do without the springs and wells which were the sole source of supply before that time. Mr. Pentland continued in control until January 1st, 1877, when he disposed of the plant to Mr. S. L. Brooks and Mrs. P. M. Humason. The plant was sold to The Dalles Milling and Water Company in 1883. The present system is owned by the city and was constructed in 1891. Early courts in The Dalles were crude and simple. At first, and for a considerable time the military authorities at the fort exercised exclusive jurisdiction; but in the course of time with the organization of town and county governments, they gave way to the civil power. One of the first magistrates, it is related, had occasion to 'try an offender who was charged with the commission of a minor offense. He was found guilty and fined $20. The defendant was unable to pay this and there being no jail in The Dalles, the officer charged with executing the sentence took the prisoner to Vancouver for incarceration in the jail at that place; but the authorities there refused to honor the commitment. In this dilemma the officer took the note of the prisoner for the amount of the fine, payable six months after date, and gave the prisoner his liberty. The note is yet unpaid. The county was established in 1854, and from that time the territorial courts took cognizance of all matters criminal and civil that pertained to the civil jurisdiction. During the first years of the town's life the business of the place was about all transacted on First or Main street. Business moved back gradually, with the growth of the town, and is now centered on Second street. Much has centered in the East End, where the wheat and wool warehouses are situated. , ',' In 1876 the population of the city was estimated at 900. Before that time it was largely composed of transients. The fixed population was small. In the winter season it was generally greatly augmented by miners coming in to pass the stormy months, and for a change from the solitude of their lonely placer claims, which were mostly situated in the mountains, and where they were deprived of the society of other men. The census of 1880 made the number of residents in the city 2250. In, 1890 the federal census enumerated 3500 people in the town. The population at the present time is safely estimated to be in excess of 4000. On May, 25, 1862, James S. Reynolds was granted a right of way to lay a plank walk on Union street to low water on the Columbia river, and was given the privilege of collecting toll from all persons using it. It led from the boat landing, between the foot of Union street and the mouth of Mill creek, to the business part of the town. The first sidewalks were ordered by the council in 1862, and completed early in that year. On June 10th the steets in Bigelow's addition were opened. H. D. Green obtained a franchise to erect a gas plant in The Dalles on February 5, 1863. He commenced work, but afterward abandoned it, and the plant was never completed. The town depended on oil lamps until after the completion of the electric light plant in, 1882. In 1860 W. D. Bigelow donated a tract of landon the hill south of town for a cemetery. This was for many years the principal place of burial; but it is now neglected and but little care is given to it. The first map of the city was drafted by L. F. Cartee. It was accepted by the council and recorder in the county records on November 25, 1861. The Dalles & Celilo Railroad Company obtained a franchise from the council to lay a railroad track on Main street on December 21, 1861. It roused considerable opposition and in October, 1862, the track was declared a nuisance by the council; but the authorities took no steps to remove it, and the track has remained ever since. The Dalles has always been noted for its superb salmon fisheries. Little attention was paid them until 1883, when considerable capital was invested in developing them. The industry has flourished. Several canneries have been constructed at different points along the river, and numbers of fish wheels are operated catching large quantities each season. The business has grown to great proportions, and now constitutes one of the most important industries. During recent years, despite the "hard times," there has been a steady and marked improvement in the appearance of the city. Many new business structures have been erected. Handsome residences have been built, which add greaily to the appearance of the city and give evidence of the enterprise of the citizens. The town has had a slow, but steady growth. Values were not over inflated during the "boom" times of a few years since, and as a result the financial crash of 1893 affected it but little. There were but comparatively few business failures during the dark times when other places were suffering so severely, and The Dalles is one of the first places on the coast to feel the results of the business revival. The foregoing is a brief sketch of some of the most important events that have happened during the time that has elapsed since the first settlement of the town. Many events of much interest and of importance have been suffered to remain unrecorded, and many of the most interesting occurrences have been lost sight of. In thrilling happenings, replete with interest, The Dalles is unsurpassed by any place in the state. One of the oldest places in the Northwest, its citizens and inhabitants have contributed much to the history of the state. The key to the whole Columbia basin, its possession was eagerly desired. It was the seat of operations during the early Indian wars and was the place where the immigrants of 1847 and later years assembled and transferred themselves and goods to boats and rafts to proceed down the Columbia to the Willamette valley. The benches about the town during the years of the immigration following the passage of the donation land laws, were oft-times covered with the camps of those who had crossed the plains with ox teams from the Missouri river, and many of the pioneers of the state can tell stor- ies replete with interest of their experiences while en camped at x'he Dalles, and in making the journey down the Columbia to the valley of the Willamette. The town has been the scene of bitter and hard contests with the Indians. The red proprietors did not take kindly to Caucassian usurpation, nor did they surrender their sovereignty of the place without a struggle. Indian traditions lend an air of enchantment to its history, and the student of Indian lore will find much of interest in the tales that are yet told by some of the old Wascoes that are to be seen about the streets; legends that have been handed down for unknown generations until their origin is lost in the mists of antiquity. There is a history that is older yet. It has never been written and may never be penned. Only inklings are to be found in the traces left by the progenitors of the Indians found by the first settlers. These Indians never possessed the skill and knowledge necessary to perform the work such as was required to form the delicate and beautiful arrow heads and spear points, and ornaments and delicate implements, worked and fashioned in flint, obsidian, opal and carnelian, such as are found amid the drifting sands along the banks of the Columbia river, and are offered for sale in the streets of The Dalles by the Indinas who pick them up. These are in design and workmanship not unlike those of the Aztecs of Mexico and the Pueblos of Arizona. Paintings on the rock cliffs in the vicinity of The Dalles, and carvings and sculptures that have been discovered, all of unquestioned antiquity, showing many Aztec characteristics, indicate that the country was occupied far in the pre-historic past, by a race of people far superior to the Indians. There is a rich field for the antiquarian, and while his researches will probably never discover the history of the peoples who dwelt in the Columbia basin, before the Indian, much will doubtless be discovered that will shed light on their origin and fate. Z. F. MOOD'S WAREHOUSE. During the season of 1897 there was marketed at The Dalles 7,000,000 pounds of wool and 500,000 bushels of wheat, aggregating in value $1,500,000, besides large amounts of varied products which found market at different points throughout the country. It seems almost incredible that this immense market should have been established during the past twenty years, but such is the case. In 1877 it was impossible for the wool grower or the farmer to convert his product into cash. What was not bartered to local merchants for necessaries of life, at the merchants' figures, had to be shipped to San Francisco, California, regardless of market conditions, where commission merchants would offer it for sale in the only exclusive market on the Pacific coast. In 1895, Hon. Z. F. Moody, on re-entering business at The Dalles, purchased the general merchandise establishment of R. Grant & Co., and engaged extensively in furnishing supplies to residents of the country tributary, which then comprised practically all the country now covered by Wasco, Sherman, Gilliam, Grant and Crook counties in Oregon, and Klickitat, Yakima and Kittitas counties in Washington. As had been the custom, he forwarded all produce to San Francisco for sale, but soon learned the disadvantages under which the producer labored in shipping his produce. By advancing money and supplies to the farmer, he enabled him 10 hold until market prices were favorable. Progressing a step further, on completion of the railroad from Portland, he built the brick warehouse at the depot, which he now occupies, and not only continued his advances to residents, but by substantial assistance, he encouraged many new comers to engage in sheep raising, which up to that time had been confined almost entirely to Grant county. The consequent inclination toward holding at home evinced by growers, (now that warehouse facilities and liberal advances could be had) soon attracted the attention of commission men in San Francisco, and representatives of wool handlers appeared in The Dalles, first as consignment solicitors, and later as actual buyers. Mr. Moody opened correspondence with the large Eastern houses who nnally receive all wool shipped, however, and in a few years these dealers were represented annually in The Dalles, and now may always be seen here with the coming of the shearing season. The extension ofl transportation facilities and the settling up of the country have brought about an immense increase in the products of this section, but the establishment of The Dalles as a trade center is directly attributable to Mr. Moody's persistent and intelligent efforts when business conditions were forming, and when opportunity neglected would have been opportunity lost. The success of wool growers in Eastern Oregon soon brought many practical and experienced settlers from Australia, New Zealand and other sheep countries, and from small proportions the industry has grown to be one of the most important in the northwest. During all this time Mr. Moody has continued in the warehouse business with such success that he has been compelled to erect two additional warehouses, and to arrange with The Dalles, Portland & Astoria Navigation Co. for storage in their new building, 250 feet by 60 feet, where he has put in a baling press and grading bins. He is also about to erect a new brick warehouse adjoining his present brick, and of the same size, equipped like the other with appliances for compressing graded wool and wool in bags. The growth of business can be appreciated when it is realized that not only will all their storage room be taken up, but there will also be business for two other warehouse concerns which have been established more recently. All indications point to prosperity for the wool grower during the present administration, at least, and while many business men have gone under during the last four years ot depression, not a sheep man of this section has failed, and all are now on their feet and practically assured of opportunity for money making in the business. Throughout his business career in this community, Mr. Moody has been the firm and constant friend of the producer. In 1889, when this section, owing to drouth, failed to produce enough grain for seed, and a large number of farmers found themseles without means to buy seed for the succeeding year, he procured grain, from Walla Walla, and furnished it to all in need, at actual cost on their notes of hand. These men are now many of them prosperous farmers, and among our heaviest grain producers. Again during the panic times of 1893 and '94, when money was being called in and loans forced on all sides without regard to consequences, Mr. Moody refused to cripple the county by forcing payment from men whose property and stock were so depreciated that paying up meant ruin. At the expense of a great personal loss he carried his customers over the crisis, and although the load temporarily crippled him. financially, his warehouse business, always a large one, shows a decided gain, due in a great measure no doubt to the patent fact that he deliberately refused to destroy the business of this section to preserve himself from loss. FRATERNAL SOCIETIES OF THE DALLES. This may well be termed the "fraternal age," for ne'er in the world's history has fraternity held such full sway in the great throbbing heart of humanity as at the present time. And to the influence of the different fraternities of today may be attributed the fact that there is more of neighborly love manifested toward our fellow man than at any time in past ages. In the beautiful little city of The Dalles, rock-girt as it is, and within sound of the mighty rushing Columbia, fraternity is strong in the hearts, of her citizens; and it is a well known fact that like the commodious omnibus "there is always room for one more," so that when another sister fraternity knocks at the city's gates, they are opened wide, and the new arrival is given a warm welcome and made to feel at home. INDEPENDENT ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS. The first order that was instituted in The Dalles was the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, which saw the light of day in our city on November 1, 1856. H. W. Davis, Deputy Grand Master, organized Columbia lodge No. 5, the warrant for organization being issued by E. M. Barnum, Grand Master, and attested by Chester N. Terry, Grand Secretary. The petitioners for a charter were: C. N. Shang, E. G. Towne, J. M. Blossom, F. Harbaugh, L. Colwell and M. R. Hathaway. Tne records of the lodge were destroyed during the great fire of 1891, so a complete history of the lodge cannot be given. From other sources, however, it is known that during the first term the membership increased to 25. The officers of the lodge so far as known were: Noble Grand, C. W. Shang; vice grand, E. G. Cowne; secretary, Chas. R. Meigs. Since its institution Columbia lodge No. 5, has initiated or otherwise admitted a total membership of 249, of whom 32 have died, and 162 have withdrawn by card, been dropped, or ceased membership for some other cause, having a present membership of 50. The present officers are as follows: N. G., Paul H. Paulson; V. G., I. J. Norman; secretary, II. Clough; treasurer,. H. C. Nielsen; warden, O. J. Crandall; conductor, George Ruch; I. G., L. Comini; R. S. N. G., O. D. Doane; L. S. N. G. H. A. Bills; R. S. V. G., T. A. Ward; L. S. V. G., W H. Butts. MASONS. The second order to drink in its first breath of mountain air, pure and exhiliarating from The Dalles, was the grand and good order of A. F. and A. M., whose name and number is Wasco lodge No. 15. This lodge was instituted on March 28, 1857. A dispensation was granted by A. M. Bell, of the grand lodge of Oregon, so that Wasco lodge No. 15, A F. and A. M. sprang into existence, with R. R. Thompson, M. J. Keller and J. R. Booth as its principal officers. A charter was issued on June 8th, following. The present membership is 93, and the present officers are: F. J. Clarke, W. M.; S. H. Frazier, S. W.; J. H. Harper, J. W. and F. A. Abernethy, secretary. The Dalles Chapter No. 6, Royal Arch Masons, was Instituted under a charter granted on June 17, 1864, with A. W. Ferguson, O. S. Savage and Jas. K. Kelly as its officers. Its present membership is 43, and the following are its officers: Chas. Hilton, H. P.; R. F. Gibbons, King; D. Siddall, Scribe; Geo. C. Blakeley, C. of H.; Andrew Lar-sen, P. S.; John Marden, R. A, C; W. E. Garretsen, G. M. 1st V.; E. C. Phirman, G. M. 2nd V.; E. Shanno, G. M. 3rd V.; Geo. Knaggs, sentinel; H. Logan, secretary; Geo A. Leibe, treasurer. ORDER OF EASTERN S TAR. Columbia Chapter, Eastern Star No. 33, was instituted In The Dalles February 7, 1895, by Jno. H. Bridgeford, Worthy Grand Patron, O. E. S. of Oregon, assisted by Mrs. Margaret E. Kellogg, associate grand matron; Mrs. Emily McLean, past worthy matron of Myrtle Chapter No. 15; and Mrs. Jennie G. Muckle, worthy matron of MIzpah Chapter No. 30, with the following officers: Mrs. Mary S. Myers, worthy matron; Henry A. Baker, worthy patron; Mrs. Ella Garretson, associate matron; Mrs. Eleanor Cros-sen. secretary; Mrs. Esther Harris, treasurer: Miss Maud Burke, conductress; Mrs. Cora Miller, associate conductress; Miss Edna Errhart, Adah; Mrs. Alice Crossen, Ruth; Mrs. Evelyn Eshelman, Esther; Miss Nettie Mc-Neal. Martha: Mrs. B: J. Russell. Electra: Mrs. Elmira Burget, warder; Mrs. M. Biggs, chaplain; Mrs. Sadie Clarke, marshal; Miss Salina Phirman, organist; II. Clough, sentinel. The order was organized with 31 charter members. The present membership is 75. ANCIENT ORDER UNITED WORKMEN. The Ancient Order of United Workmen was Instituted in The Dalles, March 8, 1880. The name and number of the order here is Temple Lodge No. 3.
What members have found on this page
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 20,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
- Millions of additional pages added every month