Extracted Article Text (OCR)
Ft Advertising supplement to The Journal News Wednesday, February 4, 2004 23 The Sensible Environmentalist Fromo I UrLr to Style: Five pieces to turn your new house into your home. Dear Dr. Moore Are there green building guidelines available for someone building or renovating a home? Sofa Smiggleupwiacarysofa to relax together. Entertainment Center $jyl do 10 Wily stored CD'S and Abiding vidws. Dr.
Patrick Moore China Cabinet How that you have "grow up'china, display it in a cabinet shat suits your style. ture of materials. For example, research has shown that wood products use less fossil fuels to make, produce less water and air pollution, and result in far lower emissions of greenhouse gases, than either steel or concrete. Although the new guideline is on its way, I believe that a sensible environmentalist would consider materials and energy in terms of their overall life cycle impact, with special attention to renewable energy and materials. Dr.
Patrick Moore has been a leader of the environmental movement for more than 30 years. A co-founder and former president of Greenpeace, he holds a PhD in ecology and a BSc in forest biology. Questions can be sent to PatrickSensi-bleEnvironmentalist. com. neath the home to provide heat, air conditioning and hot water.
2. Be energy efficient. This is a factor both in terms of energy used to power the home and the choice of building materials. Consumers should install a geothermal heat pump and Energy Star appliances, seal doors and windows, and use compact fluorescent light bulbs which consume less energy and last longer. In terms of materials, wood is a better insulator than steel or concrete-and a wood-framed house that is well insulated and sealed will stay naturally warmer in winter and cooler in summer, resulting in reduced energy consumption.
3. Minimize pollution. This includes pollution caused during the manufac DeskWorkstation Wmt office space will Iwlp you both stay organized IrTn Dining Table You're NoHnN lui iuui I I uy. Broken Seals on Your Thermopane? Water Condensation Inside Glass? RESIDENTIAL-COMMERCIAL fadrtf 20M0 Off That's a timely question. Although green building has gained popularity, there has been a lack of widely accepted guidelines for home builders.
What we've seen are local efforts, created to address specific local needs or adapted from commercial construction. But that's about to change. The U.S. National Association of Home Builders is developing green building guidelines exclusively for residential builders. One goal is to eliminate confusion.
For example, some programs focus on environmental impact while others include social factors, such as whether a project provides local employment. Even more important is the fact that some programs fail to consider the impact of a building material over its entire life cycle-which I believe is crucial. Through consultation with environmentalists, industries, builders and others, the new guideline is expected to be comprehensive but user-friendly. In the meantime, the following principles can serve as a guide to green building: 1. Use renewable materials and energy where possible.
The fact that nine out of 10 homes in North America are framed with wood means that people are well on their way to building green, since wood is the only major building material that's renewable. With respect to energy for heating and lights, consumers in some regions can also choose "green" energy produced by wind, hydro or biomass (usually wood waste). But the most environmentally friendly technology is the geothermal heat pump, which uses renewable earth energy from be mm SI All foggy. jVj (What should I do?) I Step into- cut didptay haUei BOOTH 309 yi. nVl) II off- S.R.P.
select Ktwtd items. apply prior pardiaM special DOLLSDOLLS Seraphim Angels Just the Right Shoe Precious Moments Wee Forest Folk Cherished Teddies Stoft stock onlyi Don ot Swarovski Thomas Kinkade Snowbabies Disney Classics Ebony Visions Harmony Kingdom Hummels Harbour Lights Armani Collector's Plates All God's Children And CflLL Collectibly Yours THE GLASS DEPOT OF ROCKLAND COUNTY 80 E. Rt.59 Spring Valley. f84VH259244 HUAIMEI 301-309 Roosevelt Avenue Spring Valley, NY 25 Tues-Sat. 3Q 352-2200 urtrfd Lml" OFF.
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 300+ newspapers from the 1700's - 2000's
- Millions of additional pages added every month
Publisher Extra® Newspapers
- Exclusive licensed content from premium publishers like the The Journal News
- Archives through last month
- Continually updated
About The Journal News Archive
- Pages Available:
- Years Available: