The Courier News from Blytheville, Arkansas on July 1, 1936 · Page 46
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
July 1, 1936

The Courier News from Blytheville, Arkansas · Page 46

Publication:
Location:
Blytheville, Arkansas
Issue Date:
Wednesday, July 1, 1936
Page:
Page 46
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 46 article text (OCR)

PAGE'6 SECTION E ' (ARK.) COURIER NEWS Pioneers Osceola's First Physicians Covered AVicle Area on Horseback CV \V. \\. PHP.mTT Dr. Dafoe has held (lie newspaper headlines for more than two years and much praise lias been handed the country doctors for their wcrk and undrinj efforts In '-. tc-half of humanity. Today the work of Ihe country doctors] is an easy matter compared wi'hj the- trials and trlbi'latlons of l'm| pioneer do:lors who helped to care for the earlv .settlers of our county, In checking the records nnd files available of the doctors! who pioneered In and around O.s-1 ceoln we find Ihe names of Dr.s \ Jas. H. Hazard, J. E. Felts. P. J,. James, P. M. Petty, S. H. Stmle. H. C. Dnnavant, R. C. Prewilt and Thos. O. Brewer. Dec-tors Hti2.ir<t, Fells, Jamnsl and Petty, it appears, were en-j inigcd in (heir work here back! as Inr as ths CO'S. Doctors Stecle. numivnnt and Prewilt came u Csccola in the early 70's. while Dcctcr- Brewer cnme to Osceoln m the early SO's. V/e have been unable to gnthev mi'cli information on any of these! men except the latter three, except that we, find their names more (•r less connected with the political affairs of (he county and Osceola. Served Wide- Area Dcctcr Duiiavnnt, a native of west Tennessee and one of Forrest's gallant rolders, came to Os- ceoln in 1874 mid immediately became active in his profession. Outside of a few vears that he later resided In Little nock, he spent the remainder of his life in Osccola, ami passed to the great beyond In the year 19211. Doctor Prewilt, n nntlvc ol Plku ccimly. Mo—a Confederate trooper with Gen. Sterling Price—came lo Arkansas, settling in Phillips county in the year 1873. He moved to Osceola in 1877. where he con- Itnurusly redded until his death In the fall of 1D23. Fcr many years the work of they» doctois was not confined to the Iccal territory. The writer knows that 11 was 'no uncommon matter for (hem to start out on n call that would take them n' far south as Marlon, as far west as the foothills of Crowley's ™. s °' ns f " r noi'Ui us Kcnnet't and HorncrsUllc. In Missouri and nnoss the mighty Mississippi Two of Osceola's early physicians were Dr. R. C. Prcwltt. above, and Dr. II. C. Dnnavant, bolh of whom have descendants now living In Mississippi comity. liver to near Covingion and nip- Icy, Tenn. Horses u'evc the regular means of travel, and these good men would scmetlmes start cut in n buggy, golni; as far ns possible In that manner, after which their horse was unhitched from the buggy and saddled and from thence on the trip would be by horseback. Many times II is reported that the doctor would take his horse and travel by steamboat to Pecan Point cr some other river point where he ha:! n call, nnd then ride back through tho country. An examination of the prescription files of the drug stores at Osccola reveals that there ni<; many special prescriptions under the signature of Dimavant, Pre- wltt or Brewer, which arc kepi on file nnd arc to this day still In use, among (hem being Dunn- vttnt's or Brewer's capsules, Brewer's Baby Powders, and Prewitl's "2500" Uarglc. H Is recalled that prior to the use of the lelephoiie nr. Prewilt procured a Texas steer horn, which Is still kept as a family keepsake, upon which, when a pnt- Icnt came to the lior.se, would b:' blown three Ion? blasts nnd Ihe doctor, upon hearing them, would proceed licme to nnswer the cnll. I'Jcnrrrci! In Treating Malaria These eld doctors never questioned n man's ablllly lo pay but made the cnl! and hoped for the time when the recipient of their services would make som? attempt to pay either In wocd, meat, chickens or other foodstuffs and when they were called to rest they had on their books many thousand dollars in accounts Hint have never been paid. In (he early days malaria was Ihe chief enemy to public health and In Us mosl deadly form— "Mnlarlai Hcmntuiia"—had many victims among the timber workers. It is credited lo Dr. Prcwlll Hint lie was the first doctor in the? Mississippi delta to successfully treat this disease. When he read a paper covering his treatment before the old Trl-States Medical society, at Memphis, of which he was the first president, ninny of the doctors took exception lo Ihe paper and treatment, whereupon the doctor in response said, "Gentlemen, my patients can speak lor themselves while yours have been burled." Specific In- structlcjiis for the treatment of this disease were written out by the doctor nnd arc kept by one of Ills diuv?hters. Of Ihcsc pioneer doctors sonic of the descendants still live in Mississippi county, and are actively engaged in various pursuits. Dr. Dunnvnnt has a son. H. p. Dnnavant, living nt Kelfer. engaged In farming and post- mnsler of that little city. A dnu gntcr, Mrs. Susie Kclscr, lives at Osceola nnd Mrs. Bi'ford Murray, n grand daughter, Is n trusted employee of Lee Wilson & ' Co.. nt Wilson. Doctor Fells' grandson, lllrniii Pope, resides at Os- cecla and Is farming. Dr. Prc- wltt has three living children: W. W. Prcwitt, a citizen nr.d member of the Osceola bar; n daughter, Mrs. Harry Miller, lives hi Osceola; nnd another daii3h- ler, who was for many years actively engaged In school work la this county, Mrs. Laura Dmi- nvant, who has in recent years made her home in Memphis. A daughter of Doctor Petty, the late Mrs. Adah L. Ro«sau. wa;; Early Minister EnMTILERS David and Thomas Eslab- lishccl Homes in Thirties of Last Century No narrative of Mississippi county or Osccola would be complete without some recognition to the Craiis'heads, as tiiese two brothers not only added much to the culture and charm of the social hie of pioneer days, but Ihe son of one of Hie brothers, and his son, have had great Influence on the entire history of the South. While the original home of the Cralgheads was at Nodena, much cf their time wns spent In Osceola where they were In great demand for social,affairs, and as attorney; attended court frequently. David Cialghcnd was born near Nashville. Tcnn., In 1790 nnd had practiced law in tluu city for maiij years and served In the legislature before taking up his residence in Arkansas in 1034. Hi' was a man of wide Interest and Icnrnlni; and claimed for Intimate friends Andrew Jackson and Juiiies 1C. Polk. Mississippi county was a dense wilderness at the time Mr. Crnlghciul acquired land along the river and built n plantation home on Its banks. He divided his time between his plnntatlon and Nashville, and it was white on one of these Hips Dial he became 111 In Memphis and died there In 1819. The younger brother, Thomas B Cralghcad, followed Bnvid to Arkansas In 1938 and acquired a large farm near that of his brother. Thomas Craighcad was also an attorney of great ability but was very retiring; In his manner. He never married, nnd look only a slight Interest In farming, though he bought a large tract of land nnd put it Into cultivation. He built n simple log cabin tor his 'home, nnd had few associates, though hts learning would have given him entree to any circle. Us had a large law pracllce but never made a charge unless the client desired lo pay for his services. Before, the war and much against Ills will, Mr Craighead was elected n senator to represent Mississippi comity in tin Arkansas legislature. His popular ity In the capital brought Mm more honors which he accepted nuclei protest, when his associates insisted on naming the county of Crnlg'nead for him. He died during the Civil War period nnd was bur- Thls picture is n reproduction of! n portrait of the Rev. Francis C. Morris, who cnme lo Osccola In — the lifties to become the pastor ] served as cr tin- county's first Presbyterian °~ wnl chi'rch. Ills fninily has hnd ,1 prominent place In the county's history and many of his descendants are still living here. County May Claim H i m Through His Plantation and Other Interests Judge Jacob Mcciavock Dickinson wns so definitely a national figure and divided his time and interest between so many nnd diverse activities, ns well as slates, that It would be difficult for any Elate to claim him for her own other than that of his birth, Mississippi. He was born in Columbus, I Jan. 30, 1851. lie practiced law In Chicago for more than a quarter of n century, was part owner of the Speedway Land Company in Memphis; nnd owned extensive plantations in Mississippi, residential properly In Memphis and a lurije plantation at Frenchman's Bayou, Ark. The pride of the South was vested in Judge Dickinson during WEDNESDAY, -JULY 1, '193C Modern Osccola Oscaola's children attend classes in the building pictured nbove, as fine and well equipped u structure iis Is to be found anywhere. led on hts nephew's neighboring plantation, which had belonged to Ills older brother. The Craighead family name in Mississippi county wns continued through a son of David's, James B. Crrl.jlisad/.vho took up his issidcnce on the plantation, occupying the old home- w.ilcii his fnther hnd built James Craighead had followed In the brilliant footsteps of his father and uncle. He graduated from the University of Nashville in 1843 and from the law school of Harvard in 18-17. lie had just entered the law office of Isaac Preston in New Orleans when his father died. Mr. Craighead named his plan- tntlon "Stonewall" and it was Siere lliat he brought his wife, who was a Miss Erwln of Nashville, mother of nr. Erivln Craighead. editor of the Mobile Register until 'his death in 1U32. After the death of his first wife. Mr. Crnighend married Miss Alclhca Allison of Nashville, in 187C. and with her 'he lived Ihe remainder of his Jife on his plantation. "Stonewall." His son, Dr. Erwin Craighcad wns one O f the South's most be the Taft administration, when he n Democratic secretary the cabinet of a Republican president. He resigned from the cabinet In 1911, giving as his reason the finanelnl difficulties of the Speedway Land Co., of Memphis, in which he was heavily interested, and which went Into the hands of receivers at that time. claim to his large Mississippi county's Judge Dickinson was „„ plantation In the lower end of the county, and lib frequent visits to his kinsmen, the McGavocks, loved editors and duiim> his enrly for many years the editor and publisher of the Osceola Times. Dr. Hazard's representatives heic arc a niece, Mrs. Chas. E, Sul- Icnger, nnd three nephews. Sam. George nnd John Edrlngton. — —,., ..vit in£ (I u tin iy , days of journalism established "Ti\c States" in New Orleans, which he sold when he- joined the Mobil Register. From reporter, he work ed his way through the various executive positions to that of editor.'.'i;',!!"* ?S* ."'• ""» time of his was cditor-cmcri- OSCEOLA LUMBER CO. OSCEOLA, ARK. Of all the great staple brandies of business represented in Mississippi county, not one is more fully nor more richly developed than that of the lumber and building- material trade. Standing conspicuously in the foreground among the largest and most successful concerns engaged in this line in northeast Arkansas is the Osceola Lumber Compay, located at 314 Pecan street. This firm handles a complete line of lumber, shingles, roofing, sash, doors, windows, screens, builders' hardware, paints, varnishes, etc. In fact if it is anything in the building- material line, the Osceola Lumber Company is almost UUNN, Mana K « sure to have jt and ai ^ reasonable price as may be quoted by any firm in the state. They carry one of the largest stocks in the county. The sheds are modern and extend clear across a city block, their facilities being such that they can and do afford the public the best of service at all times. This is a branch of the Barton-Mansfield Lumber Company .of Jonesboro, one of the greatest independent lumber concerns in the state. ; The Osceola Lumber Company has been established about 20 years. J. B. Bunn is manager and Harry Matlock is assistant manager. They are gentlemen of unfailing courtesy and the highest integrity who have had a wide ex- verience in .the lumber and building material trade. They are public spirited and progressive and aid, whenever possible, everything that helps to make Osceola a bigger and better town. Griders, and Judge C was al.so from , L. Moore, Columbus, _______ , Miss. Judge Dickinson married Miss Martha Overtoil, which made him a great uncle of Walkins Overtoil, mayor of Memphis. He was a man of as many private honors as he was of public ones. He was vice-president of the American Society of International and headed Association the American 1007. At the . This substantial and architecturally attractive building was erected about 15 years ago to take the pile? of the old frame building on Broadway, since razed, which for generations was the seat of government activities in Mississippi county. papar. age of IB, he was elected to the presidency of the Izaak Walton League of America. Judge Dickinson was a self made man. He paid the expenses of his -education by teaching and at 20 had won his master's degree at the University of Nashville. He continued his legal training at Columbia College of Law in New York, and at the University of Leipzig, Germany, L'Ecole" de Droit, and the Sorbomic in Paris. He entered legal practice in Nashville in 1814. During the World War Judge Dickinson took an active part in patriotic work after he was refused entry as a soldier on account of his age. He died in 1928 when lie wns given an elaborate military funeral in Nashville. This flue community clubhouse \vas brilt by relict labor with materials furnished by Osceola citizens. If! G. CARTWRIGI Osceola, Ark. Since 1880 HARDWA FURNITU •4 We Are the Largest Cotton Pick-Sack Dealers In The World

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page