The Courier News from Blytheville, Arkansas on July 1, 1936 · Page 24
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version

The Courier News from Blytheville, Arkansas · Page 24

Publication:
Location:
Blytheville, Arkansas
Issue Date:
Wednesday, July 1, 1936
Page:
Page 24
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 24 article text (OCR)

IV. TPAGE 8 SECTION B '. If .BLYTHRVILLE, (ARK.) COURIER NEWS • 17 WEDNESDAY, JULY 1, 1936 KEISER - - - A Subsidiary of Lee Wilson Company - - - ARKANSAS R. H. ROBINSON, Manager GROCERIES MEATS CLOTHING AND SHOES FOR THE ENTIRE FAMILY GINNERS Cotton Buyers JOHN DEERE IMPLEMENTS UNDERTAKERS SUPPLIES INTERIOR VIEW OF KEISER SUPPLY CO. -** 3 TWENTY YEARS OF PROGRESS Have Made Keiser the Fastest Growing Town in Mississippi County Reiser is one of the county's newest towns to join in Arkansas' Centennial .Celebration and the tillielh anniversary of the Lee Wilson'Company. Until 1914 the lown was known as Savage Crossing and it was part of the vast undeveloped acres which have made Mississippi County pre-eminent as a cotton growing area. Savage Crossing was changed to Keiser by the late R. E. Lee Wilson in honor of his friend and neighbor, John Keiser, one of Mississippi County's most prominent citizens, and it was established as a post office in 19.15. The beginning of the Keiser Supply Company was tinged with the same colorful adventure as that which marked many of the early undertakings of the Lee Wilson Company - - on February 8,1.915, ihe company started storekeeping in a " box ear where the first sale was ten cents worth of Brown's Mule tobacco, and the first, year $26,000 rang in the cash register. From this improvised affair ihe store has progressed to ihe present modern slrue- lurc lhal offers one of the most complete slocks of merchandise in Mississippi County, and from .a post office llic town has grown to a population ol 400, and was incorporated in 1934. When the first three-stand gin was replaced by a four-stand gin, operated with electric power, that. was progress, but when ihe four-stand gin 'handled o,,')32 bales of collon in the 1931 season, that was a world record and demanded another four stands added to care for the farmers ginning in this sec- lion of Mississippi County. Today, this gin is one of the most modern and well-equipped in this section. The prosperous year of 1928 provided for education in Keiser, when a new school was erected that included a four year high school course in addition lo grammar grades; and a new artesian well and water system, now under construction, will supply the town with the added convenience of water in the homes. In ihe midst of this progress Keiser Supply Company has kept step with the town by building and slocking one of the most complete stores in the county, and from ihe dime's worth O f tobacco, and a $26,000 sales volume in 1916 it has attained a volume of $156,000 in 1935 - - and Keiser continues lo "row. '1

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page