The Roswell Daily Record from Roswell, New Mexico on April 6, 1979 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Roswell Daily Record from Roswell, New Mexico · Page 1

Roswell, New Mexico
Issue Date:
Friday, April 6, 1979
Page 1
Start Free Trial

Stamrell IDatltj IRccort Vol. 91, NO. 82 ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO88201 FRIDAY, APRIL6,1979 38 PAGES TODAY Weekend 15c DAILY 30c SUNDAY City woman battles back again and . . . ByCIELLONON Record Staff Writer Lucille Million wants to work to support her children, even though she may be dying. But the chances for Lucille, and her family of seven children, look pretty grim these days. Lucille, who lives at 808 N. Atkinson Ave., was crippled with polio when she was six years old. As she degenerated from braces and crutches to a wheelchair, she endured surgery many times. In 1959, she was told that she faced her third and last spinal operation because of future danger. But that operation wasn't her last. In 1973, the degeneration of four plastic vertebrae that had been inserted some 15 years earlier forced her back to the operating table. "I was told I had a 30 percent chance of coming out of surgery," she said, "and zilch chance if I didn't have the operation." Somehow, through all of those medical problems, Lucille Million managed to become a computer programmer. Following a divorce, she was the sole support of her family for several years. A bright, vivacious woman, she sees no reason why her mind should be wasted because of a deteriorating body. But after Lucille's last surgery in 1973, her hands began to numb. Finally, a doctor told her that she suffered from a rare disease seen only in victims of rabies and polio — a gradual numbing of the body that begins with the AWtf*:*:^ Smiling through it all Lucille Million, 808 N. Atkinson Ave., left, and her daughter Angela, 2, have ready smiles, even though their lives are continually touched by sadness. Mrs. 'Million, who is confined to a wheelchair, is the sole support of seven children. A victim of polio since early Cicl Lonon photo childhood, she now has a rare residual disease in which her body slowly deteriorates. Mrs. Million could get help in Albuquerque from the Muscular Dystrophy Association, but there is no money available to make the move. Guerrillas fake Kampala NAIROBI, Kenya (UPI) - Ugandan exile guerrillas today claimed they had captured virtually all of Kampala and President Idi Amin had fled. But the Ugandan dictator broadcast a defiant message reportedly from his beleagured capital urging civilians to remain calm and denouncing the attackers as cowards. The Uganda government-in-exile claimed in a war communique that its guerrillas had seized virtually all of the capital except the downtown area in a 48-hour assault and that Amin and his remaining Libyan allied troops were in full retreat. But Amin's broadcast told Ugandans "not to be worried and not to Inside today's Daily Record Roswell A Greyhound executive says production of Citycruiser buses will stabilizeTMCemployment in Roswell. Pages. Region It takes all kinds of people to make up the 186,000 who will have skied Sierra Blanca this season. Page 10. State Gov. King has signed into law a measure to control property tax increases in the state. Page 26. National/International President Carter has unveiled his proposals to make the country energy strong: Drive less and pay more. Page 16. Reading guide Bright side City/County Comics Entertainment Focus National/International Obituaries People in the news Region Schools/Young people Special Olympics Sports State Television Viewpoints/Opinions — Vistas Weather P. 5 P. 24 P. 24 21 IS 7 2 P. 10 P. 9 P. 14 P. 11 26 24 P. P. P. P. P. TOWER, Minn. (UPI) - Herbert Lamppa's constituents apparently took him at his word when he said he would stay on as mayor if no one else could be found for the post. Voters in the northern Minnesota community of 700 gave Lamppa a landslide write in victory of 229 votes. His nearest challenger, Leo Lampton, received two votes and Harry Bud Anderson and John Morin each got one. "It's a sad state of affairs that with 700 people in town, we can't find more people willing to donate time to local government," Lamppa said. "If local government is to function well, there must be participation." extremities and usually ends in death. Lucille got to the point where she was unable to propel herself in her wheelchair. And, to make matters worse, she developed severe arthritis. Doctors in Kansas City, Mo., where she worked, advised her to take an early federal retirement and head for a better climate. She arrived in Koswell with her family in 1978, hoping somehow to live on a $415 monthly retirement check. Since then, life for the Millions has been a steady downhill track. Although Mrs. Million has been tested by the New Mexico Vocational Rehabilitation Department, she has been told that she cannot qualify for help from the department. "They said since you're declining, we can't justify tying up money on somebody who's . . . just going," she said. But the Muscular Dystrophy Association would be willing to help Mrs. Million and her family — if she could move to Albuquerque. There she could receive both medical help, which could save her life, and further education to qualify her as a counselor — a job that requires only an active mind and a loving attitude. Lucille Million has both of those. Unfortunately, there is no money for a move to Albuquerque. There is no money for anything. Mickey Million, 16, who is his mother's arms and legs, asks the obvious question. "Why, Mom? It's about time God gave you some breaks." Saboteurs blast French N-plants TOULON, France (UPI) — A series of explosions touched off by a team of saboteurs wrecked or damaged nuclear reactors and other atomic equipment built for foreign countries including Iraq, police said today. The blasts caused damage estimated at millions of dollars in the nuclear department of the Mediterranean Naval and Industrial Co. plant at nearby Seyne-sur-Mer, police said. The blasts were the most spectacular single attack on atomic equipment in France since unknown attackers tried to sabotage a nuclear power plant in eastern France four years ago. The powerful plastic charges, which went off almost simultaneously, heavily damaged nuclear equipment waiting in storage for shipment to foreign customers, police said. Early police reports had said the blasts merely damaged steel containers. The damaged equipment included two experimental nuclear reactors France had built for Iraq to allow the Arab country to familiarize itself with atomic energy. Israel has sharply protested the French-Iraqi nuclear accord claiming the equipment might allow Iraq to acquire military nuclear capability. Other heavily damaged equipment in the wrecked warehouse included a steel container for atomic piles also destined for Iraq, nuclear component equipment for Belgium and a huge steel cover for a storage tank for radioactive elements which was built for the West German power plant at Kalkar, police said. The Seat on story — Port VI Prosecutors under fire; maintain Seaton's guilty fear the enemy's cowardly (aerial and artillery) bombardment since the enemy was at least 40 miles away." radio Uganda said. "The Ugandan people should not be alarmed," Amin said, "since the enemy has not penetrated deeply inside Uganda," Amin said. His speech reputedly was broadcast live from Radio Uganda studios in the heart of Kampala, the bulk of which the exiles claimed to have captured. Amin added that the exiles and Tanzanian troops were "sitting on a blazing seat and cannot survive." The Ugandan people "were bound to defeat the enemy," Amin said. He added that even if the Tanzanians seized more Ugandan teritory, the Ugandans had "sufficient food and arms as well as a good fighting spirit" to defeat the enemy." A war communique issued by Uganda's gpvernment-in-exile said the guerrillas and supporting Tanzanian troops were now engaged in a "mopping-up" operation against small pockets of loyalist troops in Kampala. Diplomats and other residents of the still "unconquered" downtown area reported today it was calm and normal with the crackle of small arms fire audible in the distance. The communique reflected the situation on the ground for the past two days since the invasion force first infiltrated and captured large residential areas of Amin's beleaguered capital Wednesday. Residents of the Ugandan capital said that although the situation was quiet today with city mosques full, there appeared to be virtually no defending troops — either Ugandan or Libyan — and Kampala was wide open to the exiles and Tanzanians. In the war communique issued in Dar es Salaam, the Uganda National Liberation Front said: "The UNLF and Tanzanian forces are in control of most of Kampala." By GEOFF DAVIDIAN Record State Editor CARLSBAD - If Eddy County is anything, it's political. "When I first became an assistant district attorney, I was naive," admits District Attorney Michael F. McCormick. "I thought that in an investigation all the law enforcement agencies worked together. I was wrong." McCormick knows that the Eddy County sheriff's office and the Carlsbad Police Department conducted separate investigations into the murder of Carlsbad baker William Lester Davis. Both had different suspects, and each wanted the district attorney's office to charge the suspect it had uncovered. The sheriff's office wanted Terry Seaton charged, the police department wanted Hubert Workman. One feather would not fit both caps. However Pat Hanagan, who was district attorney until his death in April 1972, had refused to prosecute Seaton on the testimony of James Williams, although there was pressure from the sheriff's department. Between the time of Hanagan's death and the naming of J. Lee Cathey as his successor, then- Assistant District Attorney McCormick continued to refuse to prosecute Seaton. "I'll tell you why I didn't charge Seaton," McCormick said during an Michael F. McCormick "At first, I was naive" interview at the Daily Record. "James Williams is an inherently unbelievable character.'' Carl Hawkins, who was the Carlsbad police chief at the time of the murder, agreed. "I wouldn't believe a thing Williams said," Hawkins told the Daily Record. They weren't willing to bring Workman to trial, either. Nearly everyone who came in contact with Hubert Workman thought he was "a little off," as Hawkins later said, although Workman was the police department's major suspect. However, Ernie White, who acted as a detective for the Carlsbad Police Department during the investigation of the Davis murder, has testified under oath that he had "uncovered evidence which led him to be firmly convinced" that Workman was the prime suspect in the Davis murder, Seaton's attorneys contend. In June 1972, Cathey became district attorney. "Sheriff Tom Granger was pushing me to file charges against Seaton," Cathey recalled, "because (James) Williams was raising hell, saying something should be done. "Either Granger or (Chief Assistant District Attorney Morris) Stagner contacted me later in July about a polygraph for (L.D.) Bickford. who said Seaton had confessed the Davis murder while the two shared a cell in Eddy County Jail,"Cathey said. Melvin "Moose" Miller ran polygraph tests on Bickford in Roswell, but Miller has refused to discuss the results of the tests with the Daily record. When contacted by telephone, Miller said he had been subpoenaed by Seaton's attorneys to testify at the April 30 habeus corpus hearing in Bernalillo. He agreed to contact defense attorney Bob Rothstein, and if Rothstein would agree to let him talk with the Daily Record, he said he would do so. Miller later informed the Daily Record that Rothstein opposed any Bulletin James E. Williams today said that he would take the Fifth Amendment if asked to testify further in the Terry Seaton case. Williams, in a letter to the Daily record, said his change of heart is due to the treatment he has received from Eddy County law enforcement agencies since he first testified. discussion with the press regarding the case. However, Rothstein said it was Miller who had wanted to remain silent on the matter, and said that the defense attorneys had absolutely no qualms about Miller telling all he knows about the case. Miller is in a peculiar situation. After he polygraphed Bickford, as well as witnesses to Hubert Workman's "confession," he went to work as an investigator for Terry Seaton's attorneys. Miller never told the attorneys there had been another suspect, possibly because any divulgence of the matter would have been a conflict of interest. Nevertheless, the question remains whether Miller should have taken the job as investigator for the defense if he had information indicating that there was another suspect — if he was unprepared to give that information to his clients. In spite of all the questions surrounding the Seaton case, Cathey and McCormick continue to believe Seaton is, in fact, guilty. They also believe he got a fair trial. "Hindsight has 20/20 vision, but a long time has passed since then," McCormick said. "A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then," said Cathey, who feels the present inspection of the prosecution methods is a personal attack on him. J. Lee Cathey pushed to filed charges

Clipped articles people have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 23,000+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free