Alton Evening Telegraph from Alton, Illinois on July 5, 1958 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Alton Evening Telegraph from Alton, Illinois · Page 1

Alton, Illinois
Issue Date:
Saturday, July 5, 1958
Page 1
Start Free Trial

TRAFFIC TOLL r«r'i ACCIDENTS ,«. 1 661 'INJURY ...... o so DEATHS ....... 0 , 3 •Aeciawit tflvolvin* injury. ALTON EVENING TELEGRAPH Serving the Alton Community for More Than 122 Year* SUNNY StWDAf: Low 65, High'85. Complete Weftffeer P»|» I. established January 15, 1836 Vol. CXXIII, No. 146 ALTON, ILL., SATURDAY, JULY 5, 1958. 16 PAGES 5c Per Copy Member of The Associated, Pre» Dr. Melvin Pennell Dies at Age of 42 Dr.,, Melvin T. Pennell, 42, died at 9:30 a.m. today at St. Joseph'* Hospital where he had been a patient since last June 12, gradually declining from effects of a brain tumor. Me was taken 111 early in May in San Francisco, Calif. He returned to St. Louis by plane and underwent surgery at DePaul Hospital on May 9. He returned to Alton on May 24, but it was known his condition was such that recovery was impossible. He is survived by his widow, nee Jane O'Connell, to whom he was married June 24, 1941, and seven children, Tom, 15, David, 13, Marl- lee, 12, Clare, 8, Stephen, 7, Julie. 5, Terry 4. He also leaves his father, Melvin P. Penmll, St. Louis; a sister, Mrs. '3oyd (Norene) George, East St. Louis. Dr. Pennell's body is at Gent Funeral Home. Funeral arrangements were incomplete at noon today. His family has requested friends contribute to the Hospital Improvement Fund, Inc., as a memorial. Dr. Pennell Began his practice here in 1948, as a specialist in obstetrics and gynecology. He was born in East St. Louis, DR. M. T. PENNELL in 1915. He attended St. Mary's parochial school here, and then was graduated from Central Catholic High School in East St. Louis. He attended St. Louis University Arts School, then the Medical School there, from which he was graduated in 1941. He took three years of specialized training in obstetrics and gynecology at the St. Louis University group of hospitals. Dr. Pennell also served internship with United States Public Health Service, and for 3 ] /2 years served in the United States Air Force—two years in Foggia, Italy, as flight surgeon with the 15th Air Force, tram January, 1944, to Au gust, 1945. His professional memberships included the Certified Board of Specialists in Obstetrics and Gynecology; a master's degree in that field from St. Louis University; St. Louis Gynecology Society; American Academy of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He gained his master's degree in that field at St. Louis University, and was a member of the faculty of ihe University Medical School. He was a member of the Flying Physicians, of the Aircraft Owners' and Pilots' Association and of the Knights of Columbus, He was a member of the staffs of St. Joseph's, Alton Memorial, St. Anthony's and Wood River Township hospitals,- as well as of the St. Louis University group of hispitals, and a member of the Madison County Medical Society. Funeral rites will DC conducted Monday at 9 a.m., with a requiem high mass in St. Mary's Church. Interment will be in St. Joseph's Cemetery. The body is at ,Gent Chapel where friends may call after 2 p.m. Sunday. The rosary will be recited at 7:30 p.m., Sunday. The office of Dr. Paul W. Clark, 211 E. Broadway, with whom Dr. Pennell was associated, will remain closed Monday because of the funeral. Khrushchev Warir 01 Public Drunkenness MOSCOW (API — Premier Khrushchev has threatened fines and arrests if necessary to stop public drunkenness in the Soviet Union. Touring a Leningrad factory Friday Khrushchev told workers that the old excuse for drinking— no time to rest — was no longer any good. He said. "Do you think it is nee-, ossary to issue strong decrees and punish those who appeal 1 drunk in public with fines?" 5 Missing As Plane Goes Down "HONOLULU (AP)—Planes and ships combed the mid-Pacific 600 miles southwest of here today for five men still missing after the crash of an Air Force C124 Globe- master with nine men aboard early Friday. Three men were picked up in apparently good condition alter nearly 12 hours in the water, and one body was recovered shortly after noon. The body was not immediately identified, but the names of four of the five missing men were released by the Air Force. Those rescued were the plane's commander, Capt. Jonathan W. Brown, of Travis Air Force Base, Calif., where the big plane was based; the flight engineer, T.Sgt. James M. Phillips, of Vacaville, Calif.; and the second flight engineer, S.Sgt. C. van Derre of San Rafael, Calif. Three of the crewmen still n. ing were identified as Lt. Gerald J. Bona, Vacaville) the navigator; Airman l.C. Charles E. Entrekin, Atlantic 'City, N.J., loadmaster; and S.Sgt. Thomas Pasco, Fairfield, Calif. One crewman remained unidentified because his family could not be located in the Travis AFB area. One of two couriers who joined the Tokyo-bound flight in Honolulu, was identified as Capt. Charles Spears, whose wife, EJJsie, lives in Honolulu and whose parents, Mr. and Mrs. Russell E. Ironton, Ohio. The other was identified only as a Navy chief petty officer. The three survivors aboard the carrier Boxer told investigating officers that two of their comrades died in the sea prior to the arrival of help. The survivors said they knew nothing of the fate of the others except that, shortly after the crash they heard a voice cry out ind saw a flashing light briefly at a distance, but they couldn't make contact again. 2 Tots Hurt InFallsFrom Windows Injured in falls from second- story windows, two tots, both twi year-olds, were brought to St. Joseph's Hospital at the same hour Friday. 3:10 p.m., 'for treatment. One, Michelle Quade, daughter o! Mr. and Mrs. William Quade of 1215 Troy Rd.. Edwardsville, who suffered a skull fraacture, was later moved to DePaul Hospital, St. Louis, for treatment by a brain specialist. Height of both falls was estimated at 12 feet. Louis Bowman, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Bowman of 216 Dorris St., the other victim, sustained fractures ol his right leg, and was released from the hospital follow ing reduction of the fractures and application of a cast. Quade, father of Michelle, who with his wife, accompanied thcii daughter in the ambulance to the hospital, told a Telegraph reporter that the .little girl had been asleep in a room on the second floor and that she apparently unlatched a screen on a window. He said: "1 can't understand how she did it.' Following the mishap Mr. and Mrs. Quade rushed with the child to Weber Funeral Home, Edwardsville, where they got an ambu lance to bring her to the hospital. Traffic was light at that time of the . day and the ambulance made good time. A doctor who examined advised Michelle that she the hospital taken on to St. Louis for treatment by a brain specialist and the ambulance driver, who had waited at the hospital, took the little girl to St. Louis. At Edwardsville, the grandmother of Michelle today reported that the little girl had suffered a serious skull fracture, about an inch above the left ear, and that she had failed to regain consciousness. Her condition at the hospital today was reported as "fair." Mrs. Virgil Bowman, grandmother of Louis Bowman, said that her little grandson had been visiting her when he either unlatched a screen on an upstairs porch, or fell against it, causing the latch to give way, and he fell to the concrete below. Mrs. Bowman said that her son and daughter-in-law reside in an apartment in the house below her and that Louis had come upstairs to play with some visiting children at time of the accident. His fall occurred about 11 a.m., but it was not until later in the day that the seriousness of his injury was discovered and he was taken to the hospital. Mrs. Virgil Bowman said that her daughter-in-law heard the little boy scream and she went to investigate. She found him lying on the concrete, with a bloody toe. She picked him up and took him inside the house, not knowing that he had fallen from the window. Later Fie went to sleep and when lie awoke he started crying, His mother became alarmed and took him upstairs for his grandmother to take a look at his leg. She discovered the fractures. He was then taken immediately to the TRAFFIC VICTIM James R. Henderson (right) watches anxiously as a neighbor, Peter Keroher, administers first aid to Henderson's son, Patrick, 3, as the tot lies in the street after being struck by an automobile at Kansas City. The child suffered a head injury and lacerations, and was hospitalized a few moments after his picture was taken. (AP Wirephoto.) Highway Death Toll Reaches 185 By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Traffic 185 Drowning' 71 Miscellaneous 42 Total 298 Traffic deaths piled up at a record clip Saturday as the half-way mark was passed in the three-day Independence Day weekend. Safety officials saw a glimmer of hope, however, in the grim statistics. The little after death rate eased a racing through the hospital. DATA AT THE DAM 8 a.m. temperature today 75 degrees. River stage below dam al 7 a.m. 7.7. Pool 23.5. Yesterday's High 92. Low 72. Precipitation 24 hours to 8 a.m. .01 Ins. TODAY'S CHUCKLE Man to friend: "Last night I was talking to my wife.... you know how you do when the TV let's out of order...." (0 1958. General Features Corp.) Rev. Zoltan Nagy Accepts Cull To Eastern Church in letters from The Rev. Zoltan Nagy has accepted a call to become minister of Unitariari Society of Fairhaven, Mass., members of his First Unitarian Church congregation here were informed him toe-ay. In the announcement was a request to be relieved of his duties here Sept. 1. By-laws of the church require three months' notice of termination. Members of the church today expressed the Exams f or U* S. Academies Scheduled Here July 14 Rep. Melvin Price (P. East St. Louis) today announced that the Civil Service designation examination to assist him in selecting 1959 candidates for" the United States service academies will be held July 14, at 8:30 a.m. in Al' ton and Granite City for Madison County applicants. Young men interested in taking the examination at Alton may report to West Junior High School, 1513 State St., at 8:30 a.m.. Those who choose to take the examination In Granite Colo v the U.S. Military Academy City should report at 8:30 a.m. In Room 105 of the Community High School, 90th and Madison Ave. Mid that young men who \ will have reached the age of 17 and not have reached the age of by July 1 of 1959, and who are my, Navy, Merchant Marine or Air Force are welcome to participate in the examination. Rep, Price said that he asked the Civil Service Commission to schedule the examination to assist him in making future examinations to the U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, at West Point, the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis and the 1942 he published a prayerbook. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, N.Y. opinion the Sept. 1 terminal date would require special action by the congregation. Earl Gaylord, chairman ol the local congregation, was. out of town today, but wa»: expected back tnis week. Services in the church are suspended through the summer, so a meeting of the congregation would require a special call. The congregation which issued the call to the Rev. Nagy is five times the size of the local one. It was founded in 1832. The Rev. Nagy was called to the pastorate of First Unitarian Church in April of 1951. He was then assistant pastor of Uni- versalist Unitarian Church In Detroit. He was born in Koloszvar, Hungary, where the first church bearing the name "Unitarian" was interested in a career in the Ar> founded. He studied there and in Manchester, England. In World War II he was a Red Cross chaplain in the Hungarian Army and in 1945 served as minister to displaced persons in Germany. In 1956 he went to Austria to assist in aiding displaced persons, He had been in the Unitarian ministry since 1938. In Alton, the Rev. Nagy was a member of the hoard of Alton Civic Orchestra Association. In The Rev. and Mrs. Nagy are the parents of a daughter, Fourth at a pace far above estimates made by the National Safety Council. The NSC has forecast a record liigh 410 deaths during the 78-hour [>eriod. At the midway point, fatalities were in line with advance estimates. "Deaths are. running tragically on schedule," said Ned H. Dear born, NSC president. But as huge as the death toll is, it is running at a rate slightly lower than during the early hours of the holiday. We urge drivers to continue to use^very possible precaution to bring the toll down." Fireworks, once the big killer and crippler of Fourth of July celebrations, claimed its first victim early today. A ond at least 20 ured when a )!ew up in Portland, Ore. But the mounting traffic toll is the current concern of safety officials. During the firsl half of the observance, highway deaths ran one-sixth ahead of those occurring during the recent Memorial Day child was killed persons were in- fireworks plant weekend. That marred by 371 observance was traffic deaths, a weekend toll for observance was record for a three-day Memorial Day holiday. The previous record three-day a July Fourth 407 deaths in 1955. A four-day July Fourth holiday period claimed a record 491 in 1930. Generally fair weather, greeted motorists clogging the highways Friday during the early hours of tne weekend. But, and showers put driving conditions thunderstorms damper on Friday night. Some 45 million cars were expected to roll up 12 billion miles on the nation's highways, according to an NSC estimate, for the holiday period—from 6 p. m. local time Thursday to Sunday midnight. The record low Fourth of July three-day toll since World War II was 255 deaths in 1947. The Associated Press marie a survey of traffic fatalities during a non-holiday weekend for a comparison with the current holiday period. It covered the 78-hour period from 6 p. m. June 19 to midnight Sunday, June 22. It showed 339 traffic fatalities, 118 drown- ings and 63 deaths from miscellaneous accidents — an overall total of 520. Dulles, De Gaulle Complete Parley By GEORGE McAKTHUR PARIS GW—Secretary of State Dulles and Premier de Gaulle completed their formal conferences today with a half-hour private conversation at the Premier's official residence. Both men were rave faced when they said goodby. De Gaulle walked with Dulles to the automobile waiting to take the secretary back to the U. S. embassy. The Premier, holding his heavy, horn-rimmed spec-, tacles in his hand, gestured emphatically. Dulles looked extremely serious. Neither 'French nor American officials gave any indication of what Dulles and de Gaulle talked about while they were alone. The morning conference, attended by aides of both men, covered a number of topics—strategic developments in Europe, and the situation in the Middle East among others. Dulles' remaining appointments were with Maurice Conve de Murville, French foreign minister, and Paul-Henri Spaak, secretary general of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Thereafter, he was to be guest of honor at a dinner by U. S. Ambassador Amory Hough ton. De Gaulle was not scheduled to be present but the foreign minister and other government officials were invited. Dulles and de Gaulle first con- ferred about three hours this morning with their aides present. Then they dismissed their aides and held a private talk after lunch. French spokesmen said Dulles liad opened the meeting by conveying President Eisenhower's "best personal regards" to De Jaulle. Philip Farley, U. S. specialist on atomic energy -and disarmament, was not present, although the question of furnishing France with American technical information on atomic weapons is high on the list of problems to be studied. Informed quarters said -de Gaulle and Dulles had reviewed a list of topics without examining any one of them in detail. Strategic problems, both in Eu rope and the Middle East—nuclear weapons, and general policy matters were among the questions French Foreign Ministry officials said would be discussed. It arranging -the private talk, to begin late in the afternoon, De Gaulie was following the procedure he began last week when British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan came to Paris. They dismissed their aides and talked alone for more than an hour. Goldfine Looks Forward To More Testimony By LEWIS GULICK WASHINGTON (AP) — Bernard Joldfine, resting after two days of testimony, says he's looking 'orward to another appearance Tuesday before a House subcommittee investigating his troubles with federal agencies. But the Boston textile manufac- urer didn't say how far he would go in providing the subcommittee with details ' of $776,000 o f unwashed checks. Investigators say his companies have issued the checks over a 16-year period. Goldfine talked pleasantly but hurriedly with newsmen Friday as he and his wife strode toward a plane that took them to Boston or the weekend. He traveled without the battery of attorneys who curbed his interviews on his i ival and during much of ins stay in the capital. "I'm looking forward to m.v re turn very much," he said, adding that he'd be back a day ahead of iis scheduled date with the sub 'ommittee. "I think very well of the com mittee," he commented. "I think 'vetbeen treated very fairly." Balks wi Checks Goldfine balked Thursday at 3 Minor Auto Mishaps Reported Over Holiday Sta.te route traffic in and through Alton Thursday evening was heavy, and was augmented by a bulge of local traffic, due in part to evening hours of the stores. However, police had. reports of only three traffic mishaps within the city in the last 48 hours, none causing injury. Police did traffic duty at Broadway and Langdon in an effort to relieve congestion at the Clark Bridge entrance, starting at 6:20 p.m. Thursday. Thursday afternoon traffic on the bridge generally is heavy, and this week was augmented by the cars of tourists headed for weekends at resort spots or fishing areas, police noted. Bumper-to- bumper traffic had been reported on the bridge prior to 5 p.m. and bulged to glut the iraffic control signals by 6 One motorist reaching Alton at 6:15 p.m. told a Telegraph report er it had taken her car just 10 minutes to get across the bridge. The line-up of cars, sh» related, extended ut that time fur a quarter mile on the MUwuri approach. giving the House investigators any information about the uncashed checks. He said that wasn't pertinent to the subcommittee's investigation. He held to that stand despite the group's insistence that it —not he—should determine what was pertinent. The subcommittee, in a general investigation of the work of federal regulatory agencies, currently checking charges that Armed Man Takes $666 At Tavern An armed, unmasked robber, Irst "customer" at Tonic's 3 lace, a tavern at 1704 E. Broadway, made off with an estimated $666.88. after slugging the port- r and over-awing the bartender at 5:40 a.m. today. The money was taken from two ish registers which Merrill F. Walter, manager of the tavern .old police, contained Thursday's jar receipts. Responding to the robbery Tall, policemen learned that the :avern porter, Judge Fowler, 47, md been at work in a rear room vhen he heard a sound of shat- .ering glass. Hurrying into the )ar room to investigate. Fowler observed the glass in the front door had been broken. He told police that he stepped .0 a telephone near the door, in- ending to call the police station, when he heard a man in jack of him say "I wouldn't do that." At almost the same moment he was struck over the lead, apparently with an automatic pistpl he later observed the ntruder was carrying. The blow to the top of Fowlers' head drew a stream of blood, but failed to knock him out. The man with the pistol, hen conducted Fowler in back of the bar. There the robber secured contents of two cash registers and Degan to rummage through some drawers, from one of which it later was found he had ;aken a revolver. Just at this juncture, police were told, Homer Garner, the Dartender entered. The 'man be- lind the bar called to him, 'We're closed—not open yet." Garner, who was to open the :avern, realized, of course, that something was amiss. And he realized a robbery was in progress, he told police, when he saw blood flowing down Fowler's face. He promptly ducked behind a partition. This left a clear path for the robber who promptly ducked out the open door. Police said the bandit apparently escaped on foot, going west on E. Broadway. Apparently he bed no automobile, for later information indicated he had proceeded north on Pearl street. He was described as 5 feet, 8 to 10 inches in height, wearing a white tee-shirt and light-colored trousers. Immediate search of the area failed to trace him beyond Pearl street. Reports secured by the police indicated the robber before reaching Tonie's place had tried ocked doors at some other closed averns in the East End. Manager Walter reached the tavern shortly after (lie departure of the bandit. He immediately drove his porter, Fowler, to St. Joseph's Hospital for surgical treatment. Fowier was found to have incurred a deep laceration on top of his head, police were nformed at the emergency room. Swimming Outings Result in 2 Deaths Two deaths resulted from July 4th swimming outings in th* Alton area Friday. Victims were a young man who wt-nt down in Piasa Creek and died later at St. Joseph's Hospital and a pre-teen South Roxana girl who was still missing this morning after she *w <> « !'" 0-.SA*,,, niTTTV IVAV IVMAV BLTTY JLAN INMAN disappeared in Hartford Canal. A 21-year-old Alton service station attendant died at 6 p.m. Friday, four hours after he was brought to St. Joseph's Hospital from Piasa Creek where he had been rescued from 12 feet of water in mid-stream. Ronald E. Myers. 913 Rixon St., had been under water an estimated three or four minutes before he was found after a sixth) dive by Eugene Means, 21, M_eJ-, ville TrailoFtrourt, Godfrey. In a swimming party of seven, Myers had attempted to swim across the creek, companions £• said. When he sank, his fiancee, Miss Pauline Kehr, 621 Elfgen St., called for help. Means,' a Thrift Hardware Co., ^ Alton store employe and member of the swimming party, scattered along the shore, dashed 75 yards to the water and brought Myers to the surface after a half dozen rapid, successive surface dives. Restore Breathing Means' wife, Jo Ann, and Ronnie Younger administered artificial respiration. They restored Myers' breathing in sporadic gasps. Sam Riley, Godfrey, who with Calvin Garrett and Ronald Younger, both also of Godfrey, had aided Means in bringing Myers to shore, ran to the nearby Younger residence to summon an ambulance and state police. Myers was taken in a Gent ambulance to St. Joseph's Hospital. Oxygen was administered. His condition declined nevertheless. Myers had not been swimming n three years, companions said ie had told them. He was with a group at Greenville where one of the swimmers had been bit- en by a snake at that previous ime, they recalled he had said. An autopsy revealed water in Myers' lungs and that he had died of drowning complications, Madison County Coroner Dr. W. W. Billings informed the Telegraph this morning. PORTLAND, Ore (AP) - A D e P u * v Coi-oner O. Carson fireworks plant exploded with the «"'""• wn ° investigated t h • fury of a bomb on the outskirtsi drownin g' said an in( * uest is "~ J of Portland early today. One child was killed, more than 20 persons were injured, and a score of homes were wrecked by the blast. The charred body of a child first believed to be a girl, was found in the wreckage of the home of Mr. and Mrs. William Howe. The Howes, who lived directly behind the big storage plant, were hospitalized for treatment of cuts and burns. A minis- ei at the hospital said they had about a missing Goldfine received ment because of with presidential favored truat- his friendship aide Sherman Adams. Both Adams and Goldfine have, denied the favored treatment charge, although Adams has told of receiving expensive favors from Goldfine. The House investigators also put into the record a list of 33 persons they said had received checks from Goldfine. The 33 were described as present or former em- ployes in congressional and White House ofices. Receipt of cheeks of from $35 to $75 at Christmas were uck< nowledged by two present White House secretaries and by some present and former employes of Sen. Styles Bridges (R-NH) and Rep. John W. McCormack (D- Mass). Others denied receiving cash. None of those contacted said the gifts involved favors for Goldfine. Minor PrewniU Goldfine himself dismissed the checks as minor Christmas presents, and indicated Friday he plans to continue the practice. "I expect to continue giving gifts," he told newsmen who asked. In New York, Tex McCrary said he is no longer working with Goldfine as a public relations consultant. He stressed that the work he had done had been without pay or expenses. He suid IIP stepped in to help out his Mend. Roger Robb, of Goldfine's legal staff. Several subcommittee members Imd questioned McCrary's connection with the matter, and indicated they might look further into it Injured In Collision Willie Earl Williamson, 26, of 1802 Market St. was moved by ambulance to St. Joseph's Hospital at 12:25 p.m. today for emergency treatment of lacerations to his right arm, hand, and face incurred in a spill from his motorcycle resulting from a collision with another vehicle. Police said Williamson's motorcycle and a sedan driven by William L. Peipert Jr., 16, of 3405 Agnes St. brushed together in the 1300-block of Central Avenue. Inside Musts: EDITORIAL PAGE 4 SOCIETY PAGE « SPORTS PAGE 9 IjtAUlO&TV PAGE 11 COMICS ,. PAGE It CLASSIFIED PAGE 14 OBITUARY PAGE 14 RONALD E. MYERS Fireworks Explosion Kills One jppn asking hild. Of the 22 hospitalized/eight — ncluding the Howes—were held ;or treatment. The others were given first aid and released. The Signal Fireworks Co., storage plant — two buildings 100 feet ong — blew up with a thunderous •oar that awakened most of the city at 1:45 a. m. The explosion wrecked two louses. It smashed doors and windows of a nearby motel and lilted ing. Wader Disappears Betty Jean Inman, 10, a fifth grade student at South Roxana School, drowned at 5 p.m. Friday in Hartford ?anal at its outlet into the Mississippi. She had gone to the Canal with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Inman, Ohio avenue, South Roxana, and other relatives on a picnic outing. Inman is employed n St. Louis She was wading in shallow water at the bank, with her parents on shore nearby, one of the par:y said. Apparently, she stepped off a ledge int* deeper water and sank. Her father and another man attempted unsuccessfully to* rescue the child. Today Alton Volunteer Emergency Corps continued efforts to ocate the girl's body. Betty is survived by one sis- er, Judy, 12, besides her parents. oft part of the roof. Dehris fromi The operator of a small boat he wrecked plant . and houses covered the streets 'around them. The heaviest damage svas con- lined to a two-block area around he fireworks plant. But smashed windows were reported 30 blocks away. Elderly residents of a nursing Home a block away were removed temporarily from the building. Some were in a state of shock. Fire Marshal Dale Oilman said there was no way of knowing immediately what caused the explosion. Police and firemen had lines set up as far as four blocks away Holding back the curious. The plant was located on 'he edge of a residential district and )usiness area. No Fireworks Injuries In Alton Over Holiday Bunker Hill, arm injury suffered in a fall while at play. Mrs. Pauline Fielder, 63. 1109 Long Ave., injury to left elbow suffered in fall at home. Alan Holman, 9, of 3038 Linwood Ave., incurred laceration of eyebrow in fall at home. Harry Fulcher, 8, of 508 Edwardsville Rd., Roxana, bitten by a dog while in yard at home. Ricky Whyers, 11 months, 107 E. for New York, where his aunt had'Third St., stomach lavage after he No fireworks injuries were reported in Alton over the Fourth ol July, due to the anti-fireworks law. but other unusual a c c i d e n I n brought injury to a number «f persons. Treated at Alton Memorial Hospital were: Carl Krancher, 1236 Fairway Dr., for arm laceration, inflicted when a glass door blew shut as he attempted to stop it. (He later lett died the same day.) {apparently swallowed ant poison Pinkie Spight, a maid, 62, whoiat friend's home, bumped her head on an incinera-j Eddie Cairns, 10, 823 E. Fourth tor. Kevin Emery, 4, forehead lacerations buffered when he (ell off basement steps. , Mary Lou Van Deiwen, 10, St., laceration of heel, incurred while wading in Mississippi River. Rixon. stomach lavage. alter she took grandmother'* medicine. harbor near the Canal, Roy Nancer, notified William (Red) O'Flaherty, proprietor of Clifton Terrace Harbor Service, who responded with the AVEC to search for the girl's body. Ronald Eugene Myers resided with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Leslie K. Myers Sr., and besides them, is survived by three brothers, Leslie Jr., a private first class in the Marines stationed in Virginia and William A. and Larry E. al home; two sisters, Judith and Rhoda at home. His body Is at Gent Funeral Home where friends may call after 2 p.m. Sunday. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Monday from Curdle Heights Baptist Church, with the Rev. Lollard Simmons officiating. Burial will be in Upper Alton Cemetery. Second Cull for AVEC The call Friday afternoon for aid of Alton Volunteer Emergency Corps in efforts to recover the body of the Inman child was th« second it had received and responded to within 18 hours. Thursday evening the corpsmen sped to the Missouri side of the Mississippi, near the Clark Bridge, where it was feared a St. Louis youth had drowned after being swept downstream by the current when floating with support of inner tube. By time the emergency group reached the Missouri Point shore, it was learned the cup* posed drowning victim, Thomas William L o r t o n. 17. had saf* ly made shore and van walking back to rejoin companion*. Alton police had been «*k«| for ' assistance at 7 p.m. by George Grimier. 18, David Vita* gerald, 17, and Mh« Margaret Joyce Hutton, 17 months, SOSPavia. 15, all of St. Louin.who drove across the Clark BrMg» u» «, Oat t) \

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,800+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free