The Advocate-Messenger from Danville, Kentucky on November 3, 1985 · Page 22
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

The Advocate-Messenger from Danville, Kentucky · Page 22

Publication:
Location:
Danville, Kentucky
Issue Date:
Sunday, November 3, 1985
Page:
Page 22
Start Free Trial
Cancel

22 THE KENTUCKY ADVOCATE, Danville, Kentucky, Sunday, November 3, Looking back Paint Lick boasts long, illustrious 200 years By BREN'OA S. HOWARDS Staff Writer PAINT LICK The Kennedy. Miller. Adams and Denny families were among the first people to settle in the Paint Lick community over 200 years ago Lt Col. William Miller came here in 1776 and raised a crop of corn. He actually settled the community, according to historical documents Miller's gravestone states he settled the community in 1776. Other sources say he actually came to Kentucky in 1775, surveyed the land in 1776. and settled the station in 1781. The land grant, dated Jan. 29. 1780. states that Miller and George Adams claimed a settlement and preemption to a tract of land, 400 acres where he probably built his station. Adams was guardian to Miller and his brother John, who were orphans. The two families knew each other before they settled in Paint Lick Paint Lick was settled before Kentucky became a state. The town runs along both sides of Paint Lick Creek at the Garrard-Madison county line. The small stream.is usually calm, but on numerous occasions has spilled over its banks sweeping through the town and taking whatever gets into its path. Legends handed down in the community say that the name Paint Lick was given to the settlement because about the time the first settlers arrived, the Indians had marked salt licks along the creek by peeling tree trunks, making them appear painted. Another legend states that two hunters killed an Indian squaw. One hunter got away but the other was hung by his heels, his throat cut and his blood caught. The blood was later splashed on the white sycamore trees. The body was left as a reminder to others who might try the same thing. The town near the deer lick might have gotten its name from the gory artistry of the Indians. Alexander Denny. William Champ and other pioneers also were at the fort about the same time as Miller. The late Anne Burnside Brown, a local historian, wrote an article about the Millers that was published in the Central Record. Lancaster in 1977 In the article, she said that William Miller brought his bride, Nancy Yancey, to the fort in 1780. There their first child. Isabella, was born. She was the first child born at the fort and was one of five girls borr. to the Miller couple. Margaret, one of the Miller children, first married William McLean of Tennessee and after his death she came back to Paint Lick with her five children and a slave. She married George Denny and they had twins, Margaret and George. Young George built the From the 75 years ago... 1910 Col. E.W. Lillard was going to Washington, D C, to be a private secretary to Sen. William O'Con-nell Bradley. "Sen. Bradley was elected largely through influence of Col. Lillard and owes him a great debt of gratitude," an article said. A steep grade in the pavement in front of the new government building had citizens upset. An article called it a "bum job" and ad- colonial red brick house that stands where the first permanent settlers lived. (The house is now-owned by Joe Adams). Another daughter, Jenny, was killed by Thunder, an Indian chief, in 1791, and her grave in the fort cemetery-became the first one to have ar marker. Stones from the graves .were later moved to the Old Paint. Lick Cemetery that opened in 1784. William Miller helped Daniel Boone mark the trace over Cumberland Gap when the men were bringing their families here. William lived to be 96 years old and was described as a kind man. according to Mrs. Brown's article. Gen. Thomas Kennedy, another of Paint Lick's famous citizens, came to the wilderness in the late 1770s and purchased land from the Henderson Company in 1776. He was appointed 1779 as one of the first trustees of the town of Boonesborough. He built his station Stove Fort at Paint Lick Presbyterian MANSE The Paint Lick Presbyterian Church, founded in 1784 by David Rice, has been serving as a worship place in the community for over 200 years. It is one of the oldest churches in Kentucky having been established while the area was still a part of Virginia. The first church was a log building built at the site of the Paint Lick Cemetery. The second church was built in 1830 on the same site where the present church building was built between 1873 and 1875 on Ky. 52 in the community of Manse, just west of Paint Lick. The log church that housed the first Presbyterian congregation in the Paint Lick area, was located at the present cemetery site. Records from the original log church have been lost and the year the first building was constructed in not known. The congregation decided that the second building would be built along the highway. A bronze plaque was placed at the site of the first church and dedicated in June 1957. It was unveiled by Patricia Henderson, a descendant of Alexander Henderson, one of the organizers of the church in 1784. A deed in the Garrard County courthouse states that in 1829 the 2:l4 acres of land on the east side of the road was conveyed to trustees James Henderson, Oliver Terrill, Alexander Reid, James Reed and Francis Hord, by Samuel Reid. A large brick structure was built there. About that same time, the Manse, a one-story brick structure, was built on land near the cemetery. Some years later, the second story was added, according to the late Annie Burnside Brown, who wrote the church history on the 175th anniversary of the church. The second meeting house was much larger than the present church and accommodated the largest congregation in the state before the churches were divided during the Civil War. Mrs. Brown wrote. The roof of the building was supported by interior Greek columns. The bricks for the church were kiln on the grounds as were the ones for the Manse built about 1848. The Rev. Robert A. Johnston and his family were the first to occupy the old Manse, according to Mrs. Brown. The Johnston's youngest daughter, Alice, told Mrs. Brown the family lived in the two-room log school building in the cemetery while the brick parsonage was being built. The church was known to be a wealthy church before the Civil War, an article in the Madison CountyNewsweek July 12, 1975. states. During the war and some years afterwards, Paint Lick was one of few churches that had two separate congregations and pastors, since Kentucky was divided in the war. The Southern sympathizers held services one Sunday and the Northern congrega- Advocate's files ded: "The pavement is so much inclined that in certain places it looks like an effort was being made to stand the concrete endwise." The article also pointed out that it was not the fault of city officials. "The grade was furnished by the U.S. government." Only five teacher attended a monthly meeting of the Boyle County Teachers Association. "The teachers are so poorly paid that they are in reality looking for other work to do," said an article. Those sponsoring the dinner had 1985 - uj U u.j. ii The George Denny house at in 1780. Early history states "that the personal prowess of the noted four Kennedy brothers was much assistance in securing the country from the Indians." In 1781, while Thomas was away, the fort was attacked and set on fire. The valor of his wife, Agnes Ross, in putting out the fire and successfully defending the fort besieged by howling savages is cited in history as an example of great female courage. Thomas was the first man sent from Madison County in 1788. and again in 1791. to the Virginia legislature. He also was elected as the first state senator from Madison County. Kennedy was known as aggressive, warm and generous, and he held absolute power over a great estate and hundreds of slaves. He was described as "a Church has served town for prepared enough food for 150 people. 50 years ago... 1935 A.B. "Happy" Chandler won the governor's race against Republican King Swope. Ken-tuckians also voted overwhelmingly in favor of repealing prohibition in what was proclaimed the heaviest voter turnout in the state's history. The Centre College football tyim was given a game cock to 'v' 'fi I I rj jpj j jj !l Paint Lick was built prior to the large fine looking man with a striking-looking face, a bold pioneer and soldier." Harriet Beecher Stowe, who wrote, "Uncle Tom's Cabin," visited the Kennedy home to gather data for her novel. Paint Lick has seen many changes over the years. The first Paint Lick community was settled about two miles west of the present town. When the Louisville and Nashville Railroad came through in the late 1880s, the town moved to its present location. After Kentucky was declared a state and the counties were established, the town became located in two counties Garrard on the west sie of the creek, and Madison on the east. The older part of town is in Madison County, and the Garrard County side of town became known as the newer section. in niMrmhii ' ii - nT-: -i The present Paint Lick Presbyterian Church building is the third in the church's history. tion conducted services the next. The marker in front of the church states that there were several skirmishes near the Paint Lick church during the Civil War. Then in 1873, the old church was razed and replaced by a new and smaller one that still stands. The present Paint Lick church was completed in 1875. It was referred to as the "Young Men's Church" because it was sponsored by the young men of the congregation and was their achievement. The architecture is Gothic with a balconey across the back inside. Few changes have been made in the structure of the church except for the addition of electric lights. A new home for the pastor has been built in the churchyard. The old Manse was sold in 1950. Some of the early preachers at the old Paint Lick church included Dr. J.J. Rice, Matthew Houston, Samuel Finley, James C. Barns, John C. Brown, Anderson Woods, Cary Allen Wylie, Thomas Clelland, E.E. Irvine, William Crowe, Winslow Osborne Cochran, W.D. Huddleston, A D. Crawford, J.C. McClung, W.M. Eldridge, W.A. Ramsey, Dr. T.C. Vinson, Dale H. Ratliff and James A. Booth. (Editor's note: Information for this article also was taken from clippings published in The Central Record newspaper in Lancaster, and from an interview with Ruth Mahanes of Paint Lick.) use as a mascot. The rooster was named "Centre the Third" because it was the third mascot the college had had in its football history. The first had been a Boston bull pup, the second another game cock which was given to "Red" Roberts in 1923. "Rumor has it," said an article, "that the fowl ended up as one of the two chickens promised for every pot by former President Herbert Hoover." Staff Photos by Daniel Price Civil War. Mr. and Mrs. Joe Adams now own the house. At the time Milford, Madison County's first county seat, was moved to Richmond in 1796, the townspeople of Paint lick became angry because Milford was closer to their community by four miles. A history of Paint Lick written by Dr. J.B. Kinnaird states that the day the records were to be moved, the committee left Milford before daylight and took the records to Richmond before the Paint Lick people had time to get to town. The group of angry people, including Thomas Kennedy and Dave Kennedy, arrived too late to stop the move. Dave, known as a bully, said he would whip any man who approved of the procedure. A Mr. Kerley stepped out. The two men fought and Dave was defeated. The result of this incident was the forming of Garrard Countv. 200 years 25 years ago... 1960 Mayor Roy Arnold and Advocate-Messenger Editor Enos Swain were to debate the city manager versus mayor-council form of government on radio. The debate had been taped at a meeting of the Danville Rotary Club. Voters were to go to the polls the following day to decide whether the city would keep the mayor-council form or adopt the city manager system. Sun Gearhart was named ft As more settlers moved into Paint Lick, the town grew. A history of the area by Martha Jo Allen, states that after the Civil War, in 1868, the Rowland branch of the Louisville and Nashville railroad was built. It ran from Stanford through Lancaster to Richmond. The Rowland branch added another stop at Paint Lick. The railroad was abandoned a few years later with the arrival of better transportation. A depot and post office were established. The Walnutta Academy was established in 1875, so students could get a better education and prepare for college. The Academy was sold in 1892 to the Methodists for a church. Other businesses sprung up. Rusker's flour mill was built and a few years later, a creamery was built. The People's Bank was established in 1901 with E L. Woods as president and Garnett Kemper as cashier. An article in the Lancaster newspaper states that in 1878 Paint Lick had two dry goods" stores, one drug store, two blacksmith shops, two physicians, a wagon maker, a carriage shop, a leather finishing shop, a district schoolhouse. a post office, a depot, and one church. There were about a dozen houses for the 75 residents. A consolidated high school was established in 1912. The school is now an elementary school. Paint Lick has been .connected by bridges throughout its history. A covered bridge spanned the creek for a number of years and was replaced in the 1900s with an iron bridge. In recent years, a concrete bridge has been built. The community has seen its share of floods and fires that have destroyed many of the early buildings. Few of the older buildings remain in the community, but most of the early houses remain in tact. Share old photos in 'Looking back' The Kentucky Advocate invites readers to send old photographs to us for publication in Looking back. Any photograph of people or places of interest to readers will be accepted. Photos should not be torn or too faded. Please include any information you have about the photo. Send photographs to The Kentucky Advocate, P.O. Box 149, Danville, Ky., 40422, or bring them by the office at 330 S. Fourth St. We'll keep them here until they are picked up after publication, or if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope, we'll mail them. homecoming queen at Danville High School. Betty Bohon and Martha Faye were the other candidates. George A. Chauncey assumed his duties as the new minister at First Presbyterian Church in Danville. The Memphis native was succeeding Bruce Compton. Laurence II. Hollander, president of Lee's Junior College, was named comptroller at Centre College. Hollander was a lay member of the Presbyterian Synod of Kentucky.

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 17,100+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Publisher Extra Newspapers

  • Exclusive licensed content from premium publishers like the The Advocate-Messenger
  • Archives through last month
  • Continually updated

Try it free