The Palm Beach Post from West Palm Beach, Florida on December 7, 1976 · Page 2
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
December 7, 1976

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

The Palm Beach Post from West Palm Beach, Florida · Page 2

Publication:
Location:
West Palm Beach, Florida
Issue Date:
Tuesday, December 7, 1976
Page:
Page 2
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 2 article text (OCR)

a2 Palm Beach Post, Tuesday, December 7, 1976 Death Row Press Ban Advocated for Timday 10 g I A50 SO. JO ' 30 30 f-A .40 "punishment through an ignominious end would deter premeditated killers." Instead, he said, "We are advising sociopaths and psychotics that they too have a potential to become folk heroes." "Let's not create an atmosphere where next we will be receiving bids from concessionaires to sell hot dogs and popcorn outside Florida State Prison," he added, "Let's be about this grizzly business with whatever dignity can be mustered so that criminals and potential criminals will know that the justice that awaits them will be terrible, will be sure, and will take place with no fanfare." are on death row after having committed heinous crimes." In an interview Hazelton said the attention being paid death row inmates "is making these people street heroes. It's proving to these people that all they have to do to get a place in the sun is to go out and blow up everybody. These guys are now number one among the street people, it's peer group status and pressures working wholly contrary to the aim." Hazelton said he agonized over his vote to reinstate the death penalty and takes "not the smallest measure of pride" about it. He voted for the penalty, he said, because he believes Fgurti thow hiflh limaaroiutai "We are coming perilously close to notifying those who have a propensity to commit violent crimes that they too can receive the notoriety they may desire." Press interviews with death row inmates were resumed last week after a four month moratorium imposed by officials after inmates complained about the loss of privacy. Subsequently some 54 of the 80 inmates housed on Raiford's death row signed a petition to end the moratorium and Wainwright lifted the moratorium imposing strict rules that allow interviews once a week upon request and with the consent of the inmate. Wainwright could not be reached for comment yesterday but Paul Schnitt, press secretary to Askew, said there are no plans to end the interviews. "The present rules seem to be acceptable," Schnitt said. "If there's a carnival atmosphere being created then it's up to the press to correct it. If the press does its job right it will tell the whole story and call attention to the victims. We can't lose sight of the victims, we have to remember that everyone of those men Shown Si Stationary urriuded TT Snow Blankets Midwest By MARTHA MUSGROVE Post Tallahassee Bureau TALLAHASSEE - Instead of a "center ring spotlight," death row prison inmates should know a "basically unnoticed and dishonorable death awaits," state Rep. Don Hazelton (D-West Palm Beach) said yesterday so he called for a ban on press interviews. Hazelton, chairman of the House Committee on Corrections, Parole and Probation, called for an end to the "carnival-like" interviews of the inmates, asserting continued coverage is "turning them into folk heroees" and is thus "counterproductive." In a letter to members of the capi-tol press corps, Gov. Reubin Askew, Lt. Gov. Jim Williams, Louie Wain-wright, secretary of the Department of Offender of Rehabilitation, and Cabinet members, Hazelton said, Ford Urges GOP Unity WASHINGTON (UPI) - President Ford, apparently seeking to thwart any conservative effort to take over the GOP, advised Republican leaders yesterday to choose a new national chairman who can unite all wings of the party. "It is important to find a consensus," Ford told the party's executive committee as members began in earnest their campaign to find a successor for outgoing National Chairman Mary Louise Smith. He said "sharp divisions" could result if someone from the party's liberal or conservative wings gets the job. Members of the executive committee met later yesterday to discuss procedures for choosing the next chairman at a Jan. 14-15 Republican National Committee session. V UDIES CASHMERE HELEN WILKES SWEATER Man S75 now $39 201 N flACUR DR. OPIN " jy ENDS SILK POLYESTER g J I Before Sl5 N0WS125 CUSTOM n 1 1 t CONTRACTING SERVICE of Florida, 1962 CCf7243) 10 DEC. PURE CASHMERE RESIDENT HOTEL tO 7, MON. 1HRU ST JACKET B.for. SI 35. $99 NOW 3sd 13 T-," MADE SILK GABARDINE SUITS '" now M35 NOW '14 AFTER SHINY BRIGHT BEAUTIFUL pi v PORCELAIN BATHTUBS & TILE REGLAZED LIKE NEW! C A C QH 07 0F C0ST 0F INSTALLING NEW JHVE OU 0 TUB OR TILE, WITHOUT THE MESS FOR FREE (IN HOME) ESTIMATE CALL: 842-4695 Exclusive, molecular bonded surface smoother than porcelain. Stays cleaner without scouring. Full new tub guaiantee. Our resurface material meets U.S. Commercial Standards for Porcelain, No. 77-63 By United Press International $now and freezing rain whipped imuch of the Midwest and the Plains yesterday, causing widespread traffic problems. Forecasters predicted Arctic chill would follow. The late-autumn storm, which turned the landscape Christmas Zone Forecast 13 14 IS 16 17 - Considerable cloudiness through Wednesday Highs in the upper 70s Lows in the 50s Northerly winds around 15 m p h Rain probability 60 per cent II If 21 Partly cloudy through Wednesday Highs around BO Lows in the upper 50s. Northerly winds around 15 mp h Rain probability 40 per cent. W 72 Partly cloudy through Wednesday. High 80 Lows in the low to mid-Ms. Northerly winds around 15 m.ph. Rain probability 30 per cent today and 40 per cent tonight 23 - Partly cloudy through Wednesday High around 80. Low near 70. Northerly winds around 15 rn p h. Ram probability 30 per cent today and 40 per cent tonight (Registered General Contractors, State hr tma L Temperatures to. NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NOAA US D.pi ol Commtxo like, was caused by a massive low pressure area stretching from eastern Texas to the northern upper Great Lakes. Behind the low pressure, moving slowly to the east, another surge of Arctic air moved down the upper Mississippi Valley and the Plains states into Missouri . Tides PALM BEACH INLET High 8 24 a.m. 8:24 p.m. Low 2:12 a.m. 255 p.m. PALM BEACH OCEAN High 804 a.m. 8 04 p.m. Low 1:42 a.m. 2:25 p.m. JUPITER INLET High15a.m.9:15 p.m. Low 3:09 a.m. 3 52 p m. BOYNTON INLET High 814a m 814 pm. Low I 58 a.m. 2:41 p m. ST. LUCIE INLET High 8 05 am. 8 05 pm. Low 1:39 a.m. 2:22 p.m. HILLSBORO INLET High 8 37 a m 8 37 p m Low 2:36 a.m. 319 pm. SEBASTIAN INLET High 802 a m. 802 p.m. Low 1:2V a.m. 2:12 p m FORT PIERCE INLET High 811 a m 811 pm. Low 142 a.m. 225 pm MOON Rise Set 6.22 pm. 7:42 a.m. SUN Rise Set 656 a m 5:28 p.m. Extended Outlook partly cloudy through Wednesday with a 40 per cent chance of showers. Low in the low to mid-60s. High around BO. Area Data Temperature recorded lor 24 hours ending at 7 p.m. yesterday at Palm Beach International Airport: high 81; low 68 Barometer 2991 Humidity: high 87; low 67 per cent Wind high 18 m p h. Prevailing wind direction: east Rain last 24 hours: .08 inches To date this month: 1.13 inches To date this year 53.39 inches Normal for year to date: 60.19 inches AIR POLLUTION Good, 34 Marine Forecast Seas: 4 to 6 feet A small craft warning: small craft should exercise caution Inland coastal waters: a light to moderate chop Culiacan 82 61 Freeport 81 73 Guadalaiara 77 46 Guadeloupe 83 73 Havana 77 73 Kingston 90 77 Montego Bay 86 72 Maiatlan 82 66 Merida 81 57 Mexico City 72 48 Monterrey 63 57 Nassau 82 75 San Juan PR 85 74 St Kitts 85 75 St Thomas VI 66 75 Tegucigalpa 74 65 Trinidad 77 73 Vera Cruz 82 61 International Aberdeen lam 37 Amsterdam lam 43 Ankara 3am 36 Antigua 8pm 79 Atheni 2am 54 Auckland Noon 70 Berlin lam 37 Beirut 2am 64 Birmingham lam 39 Bonn lam 43 Brussels lam 46 Cairo 2am SS Casablanca Mdnt 59 Copenhagen lam 39 Dublin lam 39 Geneva lam 43 Hong Kong lam II Lisbon mdnt 57 London lam 43 Madrid lam 50 Malta lam 59 Manila lam 73 Nice lam 45 Oslo lam 36 Paris lam 41 Peking lam 21 Rome lam 54 Saigon lam 72 Seoul 9am 36 Sofia 2am 32 Stockholm lam 36 Sydney 10am 66 Taipei lam 63 Tel Aviv 2am S4 Tokyo 9am 39 Tunis lam 57 Vienna lam 34 Warsaw lam 32 88 73 82 72 70 68 SUBSCRIPTION RATES (BY MAIL) Payable in Advance 1 Year $35.20 $15 60 $52.80 6 months I8 60 9.30 26.90 3 months 10.30 5 65 13 95 1 month 3.95 2.00 5.90 Published every morning except Saturday and Sunday by Palm Beach Newspapers Inc., at 2751 S. Dixie Highway, West Palm Beach, Fla. Entered as second class mail at West Palm Beach. Published every Saturday and Sunday as the Palm Beach Post Times. Notional Advertising Representatives Sawyer Ferguson Walker Co. 245 Park Ave. New York, N Y. 10017 National SaltLakeClty 40 19 San Antonio 64 47 San Diego 73 50 San Francisco 64 51 Seattle 50 41 Sioux Falls 03 -10 Spokane 27 23 Syracuse 38 22 Tucson 61 36 Tulsa 46 34 Washington 47 25 Wichita 34 23 Florida Apalachicola 61 52 Coral Gables 81 64 Crestview 54 39 Daytona Beach 75 62 Fort Lauderdale ...74 72 Fort Myers 81 61 Gainesville 70 55 Hollywood 85 61 Homestead 83 63 Isiamorada 81 65 Jacksonville 59 54 Jacksonville Bch . 65 51 Key West 80 68 Lakeland 73 58 Miami 81 65 Miami Beach 78 66 Naples 80 61 N Miami Beach ... 83 63 Ocala 73 55 Orlando 72 61 Pensacola 54 47 Sarasota' Brad 76 60 St Augustine 65 56 Tallahassee 63 55 Tampa 80 59 Vero Beach 80 66 Canada Calgary 39 09 Edmonton 07 01 Montreal 25 03 Ottawa 25 09 Regina 00 -26 Toronto 37 10 Vancouver 43 37 Winnipeg -09 -24 Pan American JUNIORS Ty-ups fashion '76 the warm bulky knit cardigan sweaters .... save 35-40 Albany 39 12 Albuquerque 39 23 Anchoraue 32 22 Ashville 38 33 Atlanta 41 36 Atlantic City 45 28 Baltimore 44 19 Birmingham 51 46 Boston 37 25 Brownsville 76 69 Buffalo 39 18 Burlington Vt 28 09 Charleston SC 59 45 Char lesion WV 4? 23 Charlotte NC 36 35 Cheyenne 32 02 Chicago Ji it Cincinnati 43 25 Cleveland 41 22 Columbia SC 44 39 Columbus Oh 40 23 Dal Ft Worth 53 40 Denver 36 II Des Moines 28 04 Detroit 33 24 Duluth 16 -05 Fairbanks -02 -22 Flagstaff 43 08 Hartford 37 08 Honolulu 84 70 Houston 64 53 Indianapolis 43 23 Jackson Ms 56 45 Juneau 3B 33 KansasCity 32 17 Las Vegas 60 32 Los Angeles 74 47 Louisville 42 28 Memphis 50 47 Milwaukee 29 26 Mpls SI Paul 18 01 Nashville 50 33 New Orleans 61 44 New York 39 28 Norfolk Va 56 38 Oklahoma City 39 32 Omaha 24 04 Philadelphia 47 21 Phoenix 67 39 Pittsburgh 42 22 Portland Me 34 13 Portland Or 4J 39 Piovidence 3 16 Raleigh 49 26 RapidCity 18 06 Reno 51 11 Richmond 51 22 Acapulco Barbados Bermuda St Louis 40 30 The I'alm Beach Post P.O. Drawer T West Palm Beach, Fla. 33402 Telephone 833-7411 SUBSCRIPTION RATES (BY CARRIER) - 3.99 regularly $22-$24 A sweater so pretty and so warm, that you'll want to . wear it over everything else. Choose the self-belted wrap or the button front cardigan with shawl collar and tie belt. Machine washable acrylic in bone, black, rust, blue, green, or brown. Available in sizes S-M-L. Junior Sportswear - Daily 5 da. & Post Sunduy Times Post Daily & Sat Times Sunduy I week S .70 i .30 S I 00 6 mo. 18.20 7.80 26 00 I year 36.40 15 60 52.00 Christian Businessmen's Fellowship Spoclal CHRISTMAS BANQUET with Oral Roberts December 17 7:00 p.m. at the Breakers Hotel, Palm Beach TICKETS $25. By Reservation Only 659-6060 Df Use Your Richards Credit Card - Ask About Our layaway Plan Shop today Downtown 10 8; 1 63rd St., Palm Springs. Midway Mall, Cutler Ridge, Hollywood Fashion Center, lauderhill Mall, Palm Beach Mall 1010 24 Hour Phone Orders - Dade Call 377 9211-Broward 525 64ll and Palm Beach 683 9600

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page