The Muscatine Journal and News-Tribune from Muscatine, Iowa on December 29, 1939 · Page 59
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Muscatine Journal and News-Tribune from Muscatine, Iowa · Page 59

Publication:
Location:
Muscatine, Iowa
Issue Date:
Friday, December 29, 1939
Page:
Page 59
Start Free Trial
Cancel

•f. MUSCATINE JOURNAL : s-ra^ Pictures^how Progress of Muscatine -7fs A Far Cry From 79/7 To /939 Grading-Methods F. P. O. HALBFASS (Muscatlno County Engineer). nnp of the first major grading contracts in Muscatln* county WM carried _out on ,'fli» yards a month handled during the course of -1939 grading operation*. Modern in carrying on the work In the county under this year's road program Is pictured The scoop pulled by the tractor b Mil -loading and' «ett- dumping and ha. a capacity of cubic yard*, Past Year Banner One in History of County Upper left: A section of road 0 where It passes' beneath the Milwaukee railroad near the lOrphann' Home, showing- a new type of construction v/ith *. consolidated and. stabilized base and bituminous wearing- surface. Cameron and Joyce was the contractor. Middle Teft: Work on trading of Sabbath Hill r road In Sweetland township, where a 30 foot fill, the deepest in the history of the county, was made. Bnrch Construction .Co. was the contractor. Lower left: Concrete box culvert with • 12 foot, span and 10 foot interior height, .constructed, on the Bloomington township line, five miles north of Muscatine.' .Two other similar structures were built, one in Fulton, a second In Wilton township. Amos Melberr was the contractor. Upper right: New 120-foot continuous steel I-beam bridge, with concrete floor, piers and abutments, erected by Otto Wendling in Wilton township, three miles east of Willxm and one mile south of Highway 6. Second from top, right: Pump in action at site of above bridge, when piling tapped underground artesian stream, discharging under enormous pressure. The water'came from underneath a 12-foot strata of hard blue clay, and the Pump had to be installed before construction of the bridge could proceed. Third from top, right: Permanent creosoted/timber trest '* bridge 75 feet long with traveled, roadway. of ,18 • feet, erected over drainage ditch, two miles northeast of Nichols. Otto Wendling, contractor. • Lower "right: 'Showing a s'tretch recently completed on th« East Wilton road, near the Delaney : farm in Wilton township. Mosduite creek which-formerly crossed the road at three points was reallocated, and'the three bridges eliminated. A concrete box' culvert took the place of the bridges. Middle below: 'A flew of' : the.':new. county g»rajreW»: pleted this year under a WPA project The building is hailed as .the finest of .its kind in the state. ^Jj

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 17,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free