Ukiah Daily Journal from Ukiah, California on August 3, 1989 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Ukiah Daily Journal from Ukiah, California · Page 1

Ukiah, California
Issue Date:
Thursday, August 3, 1989
Page 1
Start Free Trial

Talks take place for local MervyrTs Below Woodstock alumni: Call the Journal PageS Outlook: Sunny Temperatures H L Yesterday 87 47 Rainfall At 5 p.m. Wednesday .00 Year to 8/2 00.00 Ust year to 8/2 00.00 Uluah Daily Thursday, August 3, 1989 ©1989, Donrey, Inc. "Journal Vol. 129 No. 91 14 pages Serving Mendocino County, Calif. 25 Cents Captors suspend Cicippio execution BEIRUT, Lebanon (AP) — Pro- Iranian captors holding American hostage Joseph James Cicippio said today they have suspended his execution. The announcement came in a handwritten communique from the Revolutionatary Justice Organization delivered to a Western news agency 45 minutes before the 10 p.m. (noon) deadline it had set for Cicippio's death. Earlier today, the Revolutionary Justice Organization extended the deadline to kill Cicippio by four hours to 10 p.m. and released a videotape on which he read a statement urging freedom for a Shiite Moslem cleric held in Israel. Israel said that despite the appeal, it would not free Sheik Abdul Karim Obeid until Israeli soldiers and foreigners held in Lebanon are freed. The White House said President Bush had not decided whether to take military action if Cicippio was killed. Spokesman Marlin Fitzwater welcomed the reprieve, saying, "Any delay is good news." The videotape was released by the radical Shiite Revolutionary Justice Organization along with a statement that said the deadline had been postponed until 10 p.m. (noon PDT). "I appeal to each person having honor who can move to release Sheik Abdul-Karim Obeid... Don't be late, because they (the captors) are very serious ...," Cicippio said. Obeid was captured by Israeli commandos in south Lebanon on Friday. On Monday, a Shiite group claimed it killed U.S. Marine William Higgins in retaliation. A second group then threatened to kill Cicippio unless Obeid were freed. Cicippiq, with a bushy beard, was shown from the waist up as he read from a statement. The statement's poor English suggested it was prepared by the kidnappers. He was wearing eyeglasses and a blue track suit. "My dear wife and people and all the human society and especially the Red Cross, don't leave me," Cicippio said. "So to help me move I demand from the American people, oblige Israel to release Sheik Abdul- Karim Obeid immediately because his kidnapping is not human," Cicppio said. He looked haggard and distressed, and he read the statement slowly. The statement and the 90-second tape were delivered to a Western news agency in Beirut in the afternoon. Cicippio's captors had initially said they would kill him unless Israel freed a Shiite Moslem cleric it kidnapped by Tuesday at 6 p.m. (8 a.m. PDT). The group subsequently moved the deadline back 48 hours. Israel has refused to free the clergyman, Sheik Abdul Karim Obeid. As the deadline approached today, a top U.S. envoy met with Israeli officials in Jerusalem, and a U.N. envoy was in Lebanon to investigate Monday's reported slaying of U.S. Marine Lt. Col. William Higgins. A Shiite group calling itself the Organization of the Oppressed on Earth said it killed Higgins in retaliation for the kidnapping of Obeid. The deadline extension came amid a flurry of diplomatic activity aimed at canceling the death threat. Shortly before the deadline was extended, Marrack Goulding, U.N. undersecretary-general for peacekeeping operations, held a closed- door session in Beirut with Sheik Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah, Hezbollah's spiritual guide. Hezbollah is Iran's; main ally in Lebanon and is believed to be the umbrella organization for Shiite Moslem factions holding foreign hostages. U.S. warships were reported heading for the Mediterranean, and Sheik Abbas Mousawi, a senior leader of the Iran-supported group Hezbollah, suggested today that his group would launch a new wave of terrorism if an attack takes place. Mousawi, speaking to local newsmen in a south Beirut slum, referred to reports of U.S. warship movements and said: "The party's reprisal will be ruthless if America undertakes a military action against hostage-holding groups. Israeli Foreign Minister Moshe Arens said on Israel television Wednesday that hope existed for the hostages. Mervyn's in Ukiah? Rumors may be true By RANDY FOSTER Journal Stall Writer Mervyn's department store chain is negotialing for a Ukiah store at the Pear Tree Shopping Center, a knowledgeable source told the Journal this morning. "Papers have been sighed, negotiations are in process, but nothing's concrete," said the source, who spoke only on condition of anonymity. Several "substantial" contingencies need to be ironed out before a final deal is struck, the source said. Negotiations are expected to conclude within two weeks. Mervyn's spokesperson Kathy Blackburn would neither confirm nor deny the reports, but added her company promptly announces deals once they are made. Under the reported plan, Mervyn's would open a new store on vacant land neighboring the north side of JC Penney at the Pear Tree center. The Mervyn's outlet would become Ukiah's largest retail store and is expected to attract smaller merchants to vast vacant land along Orchard Avenue. The Pear Tree center is already Mendocino County's largest shopping plaza. Mervyn's has 217 stores in 15 states and has a sales volume of $16 million. It employs 225 people, according to company reports. Stores nearest Ukiah are in Napa, Petaluma and Santa Rosa, and a Eureka store was reportedly just approved. Mervyn's has kept a close eye on the Greater Ukiah market for about five years, said Al Norris, executive vice president of the Ukiah Chamber of Commerce. Periodic inquiries about demographics by store representatives usually sparked rumors that Mervyn's would soon open a Ukiah outlet. The rumors became sort of a running joke among retail circles. Negotiations between store officials and Garrison-Pacific, which owns the Pear Tree center, sparked the latest round of business gossip. This round seems to have a concrete foundation, however. Ukiah Mayor Colleen Henderson announced the coming of Mervyn's at the city council meeting Wednesday. The rumors have not escaped Norris' attention, but Norris said this morning he was not privy to the latest reported negotiations. "They've negotiated a couple of times bul pulled back," Norris said. "If they come in, Ukiah's going to be more of a regional shopping center," he said. Kmart was the last department store that opened a Ukiah location, Norris said. That was in the late 1970s. A Mervyn's in Ukiah would be just another symptom of a population boom planners expect to hit the area during the next 10 years. Norris said his office is handling about 850 inquiries a month — a 30 percent increase over last year — and about 80 percent of the See MERVYN'S, Back Page A PLACE CALLED BLOODY ISLAND Tlliie Myers Hardlck's grandmother and grandfather survived the Bloody Island massacre by hiding in the Jenny Ross tules. Hardwick Is fighting to have the site preserved as a memorial to those who died. Ukiahan's ancestors narrowly escaped death By JENNY ROSS Journal Correspondent When longtime Ukiah resident Tillie Myers Hardwick's grandmother and grandfather were just children, most of their tribe and both their families were slaughtered on Bloody Island in Clear Lake by U.S. Cavalry troops. Over 600 men, women and children were killed in Uie massacre of 1850. Hardwick's mother and aunt told her the story of how her people were killed in retaliation for the deaths of two white men, Andrew Kelscy and Charles Stone. Kelsey and Stone were the first white settlers on the west side of Clear Lake, near Kelscy ville. They enslaved young Indian men for labor and took young women as concubines. "They would take the Indian girls and rape them," Hardwick said, "They would do whatever they wanted to do." The Bloody Island massacre is one of the best documented Indian massacres in U.S. history. It is noted in historical records assembled by Robert F. Heizer," is clear that Kelsey was a cruel and brutal person who badly mistreated the local Indians in the vicinity of Kelseyville where the ranch headquarters were located. Whether or not we deplore or condone the Indians' killing of Stone and Kelsey, it at least seems clear thai the natives took the action they did with some justification and provocation." For many years the men and women of the tribe had to defend themselves against the white landowners of the area. According to Heizer, many Pomos disappeared and their families waited in vain. It was presumed they were used as slaves elsewhere in California, killed or died from disease. The Pomos could no longer watch their families be exterminated, according to Hardwick. The Indians captured the two white men and killed them. "The women stoned these men to death," Hardwick said. When word of the deaths of Stone and Kelsey reached the U.S. Cavalry through Benjamin Kelsey, Andrew Kelsey's brother, troops were dispatched. The Indians were alerted to the approach of the soldiers equipped with their large mountain howitzer, which the Indians called "boom, booms." As the troops approached, and battle loomed, a few Pomo parents decided to leave ... "the children that could lake care of themselves for a while," Hardwick said. "They would tell one, 'I'm going to leave you here — with your sister or your brother. You take care of them...' " The parents hid their children in Hie tules, under baskets near their homes in the area known today as Kelseyville. Making sure the children understood they must stay quiei, these parents placed the camouflage over them. No adults were left around these children for fear of their being discovered and killed. Jenny Rosa This vase In the Lake County Museum tells the story of a boy seeing his mother shot through the heart by a white man. Alone in the tules, the children siayed hidden. They watched their families flee and shed their silent tears. Many families stayed together and fled to an island on the upper part of the lake. They felt they were safe. Soon the Cavalry was gathered on the shoreline nearest the island and the howitzer (cannon) was employed. The Indians had no escape. According to Heizer, "... canister shots went plowing madly through their numbers, strewing the ground with dead and dying." "It didn't matter who they killed —just so it was an Indian," Hardwick said. "They killed women, men and children." Death screamed through the trees. Some of the Indians got away; however, most were slaughtered. Hardwick said, "there was blood from Lakeport clear up — the lake was just red with Indian blood." No one is sure how many were killed, but Hardwick's mother put the death toll at about 600. See MASSACRE, Back Page Landowner's proposed development of island sparks controversy UPPER LAKE — An application for grading and excavation of an access road on Bloody Island, the site where hundreds of Pomo Indians were massacred by the U.S. Cavalry in the spring of 1850, has been submitted by Al Christiansen, owner of the now landlocked 24 acres. Earlier this year, the county decided to halt all work on Bloody Island until futher studies are completed. Christiansen has been asked to supply additional information to the county's planning department. According to Linda Hedstrom, county planner for Lake County, the information has not been received by her office. She is not sure what Christiansen is planning to do about the land. "There are a lot of rumors going around," Hedstrom said. Tillie Myers Hardwick, of Ukiah, a descendant of one of the survivors of Bloody Island, is extremely concerned about the fate of the site of the Pomo massacre. Her people were slaughtered there. Her grandmother and grandfather escaped the killings because they were hidden in the tules by their families. The Indians knew they were going to die, "because they said the big cannon was coming after them," Hardwick said. Hardwick feels Christianson shouldn't build anything or change the island in any way. She is torn between her belief that people should be able to do what they want with their own land and her sacred beliefs. Her hope is that Christianson will sell the land to the state for a historical park. Hardwick feels it is important for the Pomos to have a place that is common ground. After the massacre occurred, "they were scattered. This is why the Indians (are found) a little bit here, a little bit there — a lot of them ran away. They are all related in some way. Maybe you will find there is a Duncan in Lake County that survived Bloody Island — well, he could have traveled over to the coast and got married over there. Then, in later years they (husband and wife) find they are related to each other. The same thing in Hopland and Covolo." Keeping the massacre site preserved for a memorial is the only way, according to Hardwick, that we can be reminded of something that should never happen again. The fate of Bloody Island is up in the air. According to Hedstrom, work will not resume until the requested information is obtained from Christianson. See DEVELOPMENT, Back Page

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 18,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free