Carrol Daily Times Herald from Carroll, Iowa on March 26, 1976 · Page 25
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Carrol Daily Times Herald from Carroll, Iowa · Page 25

Publication:
Location:
Carroll, Iowa
Issue Date:
Friday, March 26, 1976
Page:
Page 25
Start Free Trial
Cancel

Contracts Total $2,013,754- Construction Set for Recreation Center Construction is exacted to begin Vnejft month on ;a $2 million-plus recreation center in Carroll. Carroll voters approved erection of the center June 10 with 63.19 per cent of those going to the polls favoring the proposal. Construction could be completed in 15 to 17 months. The Carroll City Council awarded $2,013.754 in contracts Dec. 22 to three companies. McHann Construction Co. of Sioux City was given the general contract for $1,510,9511 Peterson & Sons of Cherokee the mechanical contract'for $371,114 and Del Kimrey Electric won the electrical contract for $131,689. The recreation center, to be located on the northeast corner of the Grant Road-Seventh Street intersection, will have a swimming pool, two-court multi-purpose gymnasium, 380-seat auditorium and mini-convention center, exercise room, handball, paddleball and squash courts, senior citizens' activity area and arts and crafts area. Although the bond election was for $2.2 million, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development granted the city $1,312,000 to be used for the facility. The money will come to the city over a five-year period. Each of the first three years, $328,000 will be alloted. Carroll will receive $219,000 the fourth year and $109,000 the fifth year. The building will have about 58,724 square feet of space. The senior citizen portion of the building is an open area which could be used in a variety of ways, according to architect Ken Wictor of Foss, Engelstad and Heil of Sioux City, if had originally been planned to equip a kitchen, but that was deleted from the final proposal. Plans call for the general senior citizen-arts and crafts area to be divided into smaller areas for ceramics, graphic arts and crafts. Swimming facilities could well be the most used part of Jim»» Herald, Cprroll, la. -y friday, March 76, 1976 / the center. •. The swimming pool will be L-shape'd with a movable bulkhead. It will have an automatic treatment system and a wading pool also. The old city swimming pool was built by the American Legion in 1931 and operated by it until the city bought the pool in the late 1960s. A recent inspection of the pool has shown it need rehabilitation. However, Methodists Renovate Kitchen, Add an Education Assistant Joining the First United Methodist Church of Carroll staff this year as an education assistant was fMarilyn Riemenschneider. '" , ; ' She has charge 'of the: education groups within the church. Miss Riemenschneider provides leadership to both the Junior High and Senior High Youth Fellowship groups. She is director of the children's choir, Sunday school and the vacation Bible School. Before coming to Carroll, Miss Riemenschneider taught music at Marion. She replaced Sue Rainer as education assistant in August. The church kitchen underwent extensive remodelling this year. About $11,000 was spent renovating the kitchen. A new stove top, grill, oven, counter and serving window were installed. The church serves about 400 families. The Rev. Ernest W. Larson is pastor. Mrs. Bruce Fuller is the church secretary. Besides two' you'th fellowship groups, the church for the past year has had a Young In Heart Fellowship, This group of persons aged 60 and older meets monthly for a .noon (uncheon and program. Mrs. Velma Crovisier is president of the group. The United Methodist Women (UMW) has 140 members. The group donated $2,300 for the kitchen remodelling. The UMW will hold a bazaar in November. It is presently working on quilts to be sold at the bazaar. The women of the church also have four-smaller circle fellowships that meet monthly. The men of the church have a United Methodist Men's group. It holds five meetings throughout the fall and spring. The church supports three missionaries, including Mr. and Mrs. Michael Heath in Malaysia; Dr. Pauline Chambers in Zaire, and the Robert Lamb family in Rhodesia. The Lambs are from the local churcK. A young adult group called the Seekers Fellowship is beginning its third year. The group has monthly meetings for a variety of activities including recreation and work projects. The church continues to sponsor three Scout groups plus the monthly Scout pack meetings. The basement of the church also serves as a polling ptece for elections. The First United Methodist Church is in .its 112th year in Carroll. It was organized on Jan, 21,1868. The first organization of , members met in the old Boots Hotel, which occupied the site of the present civic center.'" Members later worshipped in', a school building at Sixth and' Carroll Streets, and then in the old frame court house building. In 1873 the congregation erected a church where the old public library stands. A second church was erected in 1901 where the FirstFederal Savings and Loan, 702 N. Main St., is located. The present church, 1620 N. Adams St., was built in 1957. Sunday School is at 9:15 a.m. and Sunday worship is at 10:30 a.m. Each third Sunday of the month a Fellowship Coffee is held after the morning services. CARS DISPOSED OF CHAROLOTTETOWN (AP) — A "derelicts to dollars" campaign is helping Prince Edward Islanders to remove derelict automobiles. The province pays $20 for each car body delivered to disposal sites for crushing. -Stall Photo THE FIRST UNITED METHODIST congregation remodeled the church^kitchen this year. Pictured: Mrs. Kenneth Crouse, left, pours a cup of coffee for Mrs. John Swearingen in the kitchen. In the foreground is the'new kitchen electric range. The congregation spent about $11.000 renovating the kitchen. consultants recommended that the city not pour a large sum of money into fixing the pool. Iowa's weather combined with the poor shape of the present pool in making city officials decide an indoor pool is needed. Estimates say the outdoor pool can be used just 70 days each year. The indoor pool could be used year around. The city schools also could make use of the pool. Two regulation courts for handball, paddleball and Facilities Improved at School Innovations and activities in the library and resource center occurred at the St. Lawrence School this past year. Carpeting was placed in the library during the spring. It has been helpful in creating art atmosphere of quiet. Story hours and movies are easier to present because the children can be seated more comfortably on the floor, Principal Sr. Mary Myron Stork said. A shift from hardcover books to paperbacks is becoming more marked in the library. According to school officials, the paperbacks are cheaper, take up less space, and are increasing in quality. Volunteers cover the books with plastic, producing paperbacks which have survived 50 circulations. Supplementary books, readers and movies from the Area Education Agency, Ankeny, have been helpful this oast semester, Sr. Mary Myron said. The library and language arts reference unit involved writing a mini-term paper by the eighth grade students this year. Each student was taught squash will be included in the building. A second-level viewing area will be provided for those who'would rather watch than participate. A 42 by 48-foot exercise room is planned to contain equipment such as weight machines, trampolines, climbing ropes, peg boards and balance beams. A gymnasium with two courts and a place for a jogging track is included in the plans. The" auditorium which will have 380 seats (the gym will have no seating) has been said to have the ability to turn the center into a "mini-convention" center by city officials. Regional meetings and small conventions could be hosted in the auditorium. But the most common use will probably be made by the schools for dramatic and music events. Two major options besides the kitchen were not included in the final contract — granite benches and saunas. They were cut out because of financial reasons. how to use the Reader's Guide Index to periodicals. The library is under the direction of Mrs. Frank Reibold, librarian. For the first time, the Carroll Community School bus service is providing St. Lawrence students who are eligible with bus service. A new kit entitled "Toward Affective Devel&pment" has been added to the guidance materials used in classroom programs. The elementary guidance program continues to operate effectively under the direction of Guidance Counselor Frank Hermsen, Sr. Mary Myron said. Parent-study meetings are held regularly to help parents better understand the needs of their children. Hermsen meets and consults with teachers, helping them with classroom guidance programs. Retired Senior Volunteers are helping at the school office, library and with secretarial assignments are: Hazel Dillehay, Isabel Scharnweber, Eleanor Stangl and Emma Vanderheiden. Improvements additions to the school included four library classroom tables built by M.A. Klaus, maintenance engineer. The tables were placed in the first and second grade classrooms. An inventory of the audio-visual materials was catalogued and processed in the resource center. Shelves were built to store the audio visual material and equipment. New athletic equipment was added to the physical education program this school year, according to Mike Foley, coach 'and physical education teacher. Football equipment, girls' basketball uniforms and various elementary physical education equipment were added including: vests for games; indoor hockey games and goals; gymnastic bounce boards and balance boards, jumping blocks and a ladder bar. The athletic program is financed by the St. Lawrence Men's Club. The annual spring Science Fair will be in conjunction with an open house for the public this year, St. Lawrence Grade School enrollment is currently 566 students in grades first through eighth. The Home-School organization meets bi-monthly. Officers are: Carl Stukenholtz, president; Dale Wittry, vice president and program chairman, and Mrs. Roger Wernimont. secretary-treasurer. Shop Our Popular Gift Boutique Department Ask About Our Bridal Registry Service—All Gifts WRAPPED FREE OF Charge COAST TO COAST \ ^^ > Leads the Way... SERVING THE CARROLL COMMUNITY FOR THE PAST YEARS y W 1 1! Our Store Is Located In The Fabulous WESTGATE MALL Carroll, Iowa •94 II ;L Here Is Our "Honor Roll" of Famous Brands Motorola Color Television Gibson Refrigerators, Automatic Washers and Dryers Kelvinator Ranges, Automatic Washers and Dryers Sunbeam Appliances General Electric Appliances McCulloch Chain- Saws ANTENNA SALES AND SERVICE We Service All Makes of Antennas and Rotors. Call 792-9363. WORKING TOGETHER . . . EQUALS . . . PROGRESS TOGETHER ... WE GUARANTEE TO SERVICE EVERYTHING WE SELL! We Service Motorola &Svlvania Color Televisions and All Makes B & W TVs & Stereo COAST to COAST STORE CB RADIOS Over 40 Different Models of CB Radios To Choose From ELMER FRIEDMAN DUANE TAPHORN

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free