Railway, Trucking, Aircraft Traffic Increases City Leads Area in Transportation Service Carroll is an important transportation center in West Central Iowa, and transportation is one of the major industries of "Iowa's Newest City." The Chicago and North Western Railway tracks first reached Carroll in 1865 and because of its main line location, nearly every commodity the North Western hauls flows through Carroll. Two national highways — 30 and 71 — intersect at Carroll, making it a popular stopping place for travelers. A modern airport southeast of town features a flying service. Providing fast and efficient transportation also are over- the-road trucking firms, buses, taxi and'a parcel delivery firm. The transportation industry here provides employment for hundreds of persons and thus contributes substantially to the economic growth of Carroll. The Chicago and North Western Railway brought pioneer settlers to this area and has continued to be a primary industry in the Carroll area, operating 20 to 24 trains through here each day and a way freight to Wall Lake and back. Not only does the railway provide transportation, but also it promotes the area for new business and industry. The North Western tracks first reached Carroll in 1865, built by the Cedar Rapids and Missouri River Railroad heading west from Boone. The Mason City and Fort Dodge Railroad built another set of. tracks through Carroll as part of a stretch from Fort Dodge to Council Bluffs. It was completed in 1903. The present Chicago and- North Western station on West Fifth Street was built in 1897 at a cost of $40,000. In 1968 the Chicago Great Western merged with the North Western and its former station is the site of the present Chamber of Commerce office. Today, many parking lots occupy former railroad land. Because of its main line location, just"about every commodity the North Western hauls flows through Carroll, according to Harvey Fleshner of Carroll, station agent. In years past, many famous-name streamliners passed through town as they raced to the West Coast, including the Overland, City of San Francisco, and the Challengers. During February, Locomotive No. 1776, sporting a red-white-and-blue bicentennial paint scheme, operated on the railroad's Iowa Division. It was used on freight trains all across the division during the month and then went on to one of the seven other North Western divisions on the road's 10,000-mile system. The C & NW's Wood Street Falcon now offers the fastest railroad freight service between Chicago and the San Francisco Bay area. The new scheduled time of 50 hours is 12 hours faster than previous Falcon service and approximately two hours faster than the nearest competitor, Fleshner' reported. The 50- hour schedule went into effect last April. Some of the main line trains running through Carroll can be about a mile and three-quarters long, according to Fleshner. The CNW Trans. Co. (double main through Carroll) is the main link between the West Coast to the East, the station agent explained. Fruits and vegetables are transported from the West and new automobiles, from the East. Coal trains haul from Wyoming to the East for utility companies. Carroll is the north bound terminal for trains starting on service schedules to Breda, Wall Lake, Odebolt, Arthur, Ida Grove and Holstein and south bound terminal for those starting on service schedules to Halbur, Manning, Irwin and Harlan. Personnel at the Carroll depot besides Fleshner are Joe Ratchford, cashier; Wilmer Nappe, communications man; Paul Lammers and Marvin Hermsen, maintenance foremen at at the local station. Two maintenance crews work out of Carroll. Roadmasters are Stan Newman of Fort Dodge and Marvin Gottschalk of Boone. * * * \ A leader in the trucking industry is Crouse Cartage Company, a common carrier of general commodities that has been headquartered on Highway 30 west since 1955. With art annual payroll of $6.5, million,.the Crouse firm is considered an asset not only to Carroll but also to many other cities and towns in Iowa and other states where its terminals and agencies are located. It employs approximately 425 men and women, including 280 in Carroll. Crouse Cartage, common carrier of general com-, modities, was established by Paul E. Crouse at Denison in 1941. In its initital operations, which grossed $78,000, eight persons were employed and the vehicle fleet included six tractors, nine trailers and a pickup truck. Today's operations' arrca'f'- ried on with 229 tractors, 343 trailers^ 56 straight trucks, 31 cars, 16 detachable axles and five pieces of special equipment. New equipment purchased during the last year amounted to $300,000 and included 10 tractors and 30 trailers. Besides Carroll, Crouse terminals are 'located in Chicago, the Omaha-Council Bluffs area, Des Moines, Kansas City and St. Joseph, Mo., Mason City, Omaha, Quad-Cities in Moline, 111., Shenandoah and Sioux City. Agency stations are at Ames, Atlantic, Aurora, 111., Cherokee, Clarinda, Creston, Denison, Iowa City, Laurens, Maryville, Mo., Perry, Storm Lake and Webster City. Through these terminals and agencies, Crouse Cartage can serve customers worldwide, according to the firm's president, Paul E. Crouse. Overnight freight service is offered from Crouse terminals to 550 towns in western Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Missouri and Kansas. All major repair work on all of the firm's vehicles is done' at the Carroll plant, where a 14,000-square foot shop Was completed about three years ago at a cost of $100,000. Computers handle many facets of the business, including payroll, the IBM Department having been modernized recently. Associated in the business with Paul Crouse are two of his sons. George Crouse is vice president of operations and Kenneth Crouse is secretary-treasurer and general traffic manager. Other key personnel at the home office include William Anderson, comptroller; William Hill, maintenance supervisor; Raymond Schonberger, head of customer relations; Louis Riddle, sales manager; Dale Huebner, safety supervisor; and Roger Olson, general manager of the Allied Van Line Division. Situated in the same area with Crouse Cartage Company's main offices is Crouse Transfer & Storage Co.'s 20,000-square foot facility for the storage of household and commercial goods. An agent of Allied Van Lines and subsidiary of Crouse Cartage, Crouse /Transfer & Storage specialises in long-distance Conservation Unit Expands Facilities A native stone shelter house tops the list of accomplishments of 1975 for the Carroll County Conservation Board. The 32 by 40 foot shelter was built near the entrance of Dickson Timber northeast of Glidden. It was completed in late 1975. Other things done in 1975 included: —Raising catfish in rearing pens at Swan Lake. —Partial completion of a rock rubble dam at the Bennett Access area. —Purchase of 30 acres of heavily timbered area that adjoins the Carroll County Access. —The State Conservation Commission stocked Swan Lake with bass, crappie and blue gills after many fish . were killed during winter. —Rip-rapping the banks of the North Raccoon River at the Carroll County Access and Hobbs Park. —Addition of picnic tables and fire places at Swan Lake. The conservation board purchases and develops land for parks, access areas, hunting, fishing and other outdoor recreational aactivities. Board members are Frank Rosener, Breda; Stephen Garst, Coon Rapids; Harry Hacker, Manning, Don Severin, Carroll, and Ray Peter, Glidden. Russell White is executive officer. Don Pete'rs and Don Davis are assistant officers. Joe Halbur and Bud Irlmeier are employes. The board runs five recreation areas on the North Raccoon and two on the Middle Raccoon. It has three other areas, the largest of which is Swan Lake Park. household moving to all points in the United States, Canada and Mexico, plus interlining to overseas points. With Iowa locations in Ames, Boone, • Denison, Cherokee, Mason City, Iowa City and Storm Lake as well as Carroll, the Crouse firm has the largest number of Allied Van Lines branches in the nation. It is under the direction of Paul E. Crouse and Olson. * * * Bell Transfer and Storage is Carroll's oldest trucking firm. Founded in 1904 in the horse-and-wagon days, it now operates a daily motor freight service from Omaha to Carroll and all other towns between those points on U.S. 30 and has irregular routing through parts of Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. Since 1946 the business has been owned by Lawrence Lampe and Mrs. Theresa Lampe. The offices and warehouse facilties are located on N. Adams St. * * # The Carroll agency of Iowa Parcel Service of Des Moines serves 82 towns in west central Iowa daily. Agency owner is Darrell Dillehay. Five trucks are used in the delivery operations from from the agency's headquarters at 710 N. Simon Ave. Dillehay employs five men full time and three part time. Iowa Parcel Service offers overnight service to nearly everywhere in Iowa, Dillehay reported. The Service covers all of Iowa and parts of 13 other states including Montana, Idaho. Wyoming. Utah. Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Arkansas. Missouri and Illinois. * * * Two eastbound and two westbound Greyhound buses are operated through Carroll every day. transporting passengers and freight. The bus depot has been located at 502 E/ Sixth St. (corner of Maple Street and U.S. 30) since April, 1974. With a waiting room to accommodate four or five persons, the depot is open 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m. weekdays, 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays, and to meet the buses on Sundays and holidays. Departure times are 9:40 a.m. and 4:25 p.m. east; 1:35 p.m. and 8:10 p.m. west. Floyd J. Decker, local Greyhound agent since Jan. 1, 1973, reported that tour plans are popular and that considerable interest is shown in 30- and 60-day passes, particularly among older travelers. Through the local depot, bus schedules may be arranged for connections in any direction. Charter bus service also is available. Information may be obtained by calling the depot. Speaking of the volume of freight carried by the buses, Decker said that freight is a major item that keeps the buses going through Carroll. * * * Mr. and Mrs. Robert W. Fisher own and operate Fisher Aviation at the Arthur N. Neu Airport. The operation currently has four aircraft used for air taxi, aircraft rental, and instruction. The air taxi operation alone probably covered 151,500 miles, the Fishers estimated. Ten students graduated to private pilots or advanced ratings in 1975. This year Fisher Aviation became a sales center and dealer for Piper aircraft. Carroll Daily Times Herald Section B Carroll, Iowa, Friday, March 26, 1976 Page 1 February's delivery was to be a Cherokee Six, the big, roomy six-place aircraft. On order are a 1976 Archer II, a comfortable four-place, and an Arrow II, retractable four-place that cruises at 160 m.p.h. Fishers expect the sales program to stimulate new interest in the facility and service in Carroll. The shop hangar building, completed in November, gives a better maintenance facility for aircraft in this area and in addition, hangars eight aircraft. Richard Downing is employed as full- time aircraft mechanic by Fisher Aviation. * * * Carroll Cab Co., owned by Patrick H. Mitchell, has two taxicabs for daily use and a third available when needed, operating from its headquarters West, on U.S. 30, with Drees Oil Co. Mi.tchell, who has owned the firm since March 1, 1971, employs six to eight persons, including part-time help. Taxis are available weekdays from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. except Fridays, when service is extended to 10 p.m. Hours Sundays and holidays are 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. In addition to transporting people, the cabs deliver Western Union telegrams from the Chamber of Commerce office and important messages from Northwestern Bell Telephone Co. They also make daily deliveries of par- ce Is ; and groceries, —Staff Photo THIS FOUR-LANE SECTION of U.S. 30 in western Carroll was opened in the fall of 1975 and. as can be seen, is well-traveled. The widening project makes all of U.S. 30 in Carroll four lanes except for a small stretch underneath the U.S. 71 overpass. The widening project was completed by the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) without closing the road. It was resurfaced with asphaltic concrete. The DOT recently announced that it probably will drop previous plans to turn U.S. 30 into a four-lane highway from Ogden to the Missouri River. 3 Farm Service Plants Cover Wide Area Three farm service plants serving the Carroll area offer complete lines of fertilizer, seed and service. They include Kloser Seed Store, Terra Western Corporation and USS Farm Service. Kloser Seed Store, with business office and display area located west on U.S. 30, has been serving farmers of the Carroll area for 37 years. The store offers a complete line of farm seed, ag chemicals, liquid and dry fertilizer, as well as services for application. Records of application of ag chemicals and fertilizer are maintained, as a convenience to the customer. Storage and blend facilities for dry fertilizer are located west of Carroll's central business district. Also located in this area are liquid fertilizer storage, scales, repair shop and equipment parking. In an effort to update application equipment, a new four-wheel drive floater, "Fat Foot," will be added this spring. This will mean a fleet of late model custom application units will be available for liquid fertilizer and ag chemicals for customers' needs. Bob Kloser is manager of the company, Paul White crop adviser, Mrs. L. W. Lynch office manageY, Bob Schroeder and Daryl Daeges in charge of equipment and application service. Terra Western Corporation, located at 316 North Grant Road, offers a complete line of liquid and dry fertilizers and fertilizer equipment for applying anhydrous ammonia. Also available is custom application of complete liquid and dry , fertilizer in combination with ag chemicals. Anhydrous ammonia is distributed from 30,000-gallon storage tanks. Custom work is done with the "Big A", a large high-floatation dry and liquid applicator. Rex Krebs is manager of the Carroll plant, James Vanderheiden assistant manager and Mrs. Allen Wernimont secretary. The corporation, headquartered in Sioux City, purchased the Standard Farm and Home Service in October, 1974. The USS Farm Service at 500 Grant Road has a 1,200 ton storage capacity for bulk dry fertilizer, 55.000-gallon capacity for nitrogen solutions and liquid starter fertilizer and a large warehouse for dry bagged fertilizer. A complete line of Peterson Seeds including soybeans, oats, alfalfa and Asgrow seed corn are stocked by the company. Also stocked are a complete line of crop protection chemicals, insecticides and herbicides. USS Farm's services include custom applying dry fertilizer with a spreader truck, rental equipment including liquid fertilizer spreaders, applicators, nurse tanks, dry bulk fertilizer spreaders, bulk blending of plowdown and starter fertilizers, soil sampling and testing for customers. Final Mortgage Payment Made on Church, Parsonage This year marks the 90th anniversary of the founding of the St. Paul Lutheran Church Rev. Donald Wuertz, pastor, said. The present church, located at 19th Street and Highland, was built in 1960. The final mortgage payment was made this year on the church and near-by parsonage. The church for many years was located at Seventh Street and Adams. A'project recently completed was the renovation and furnishing of the east wing of the educational unit. Three Sunday school rooms were combined to make a church lounge and classroom. The renovation project was a co-operative venture of the congregation and the Lutheran Womens' Guild. 0. S. Mobley served as chairman of the project. The Lutheran Youth for Christ group spent a weekend retreat at the Twin Lakes Bible Camp. The high school age members were joined by youths from other Lutheran churches. The adult group, Christian Fellowship Club, meets monthly. ; The congregation recently decided to have a Saturday night worship service. The church conducts a Saturday service at'7 p.m. and a Sunday morning schedule of worship, Sunday school and bible classes. The Missouri Synod affiliated congregation has a budget of $56,100. A third of this is sent to the over-all mission program of the Fertilizer, crop protection chemicals and equipment can be picked up at the plant or delivery service is available, according to Unit Manager Phil Poland. Plant Manager Norbert Baumhover is responsible for maintaining the equipment, storing and delivering the products. Larry Bock was recently hired as a serviceman. church. The congregation is presently under the leadership of Ted N. Krogh. who serves as chairman of the congregation. He is assisted by the entire church council, which is 14 elected officers and the pastor. REV. DONALD WUERTZ talks with Mrs. Wayne (Lois) Harmening, left, and Mrs. Harvey (Jean) Fleshner in the new lounge of St. Paul Lutheran Church, 1844 Highland Drive. The lounge is a newly —Staff Photo remodeled addition to the church. Three small Sunday school rooms were made into one larger general lounge area. New furniture, carpeting and a kitchenette were added to the room. beverages and hot food orders may be delivered by taxis. The firm offers service to and from the local airport and also caters to out-of-town calls, according to Mitchell. Carroll Cab Co. is completely insured, licensed by the city council and approved by the mayor. Mitchell reported. Its radio system is licensed and approved by the F.C.C. The Carroll terminal of Robco Transportation, Inc., located at the north edge of town on U.S. 71, is in charge of moving freight from the Midwest to the West Coast and the Southeast. Robco bought out Miles Lane Trucking, Inc., in April, 1975. The Lane firm had been doing business here since 1967 and in 1973 became agent for Robco. The five-year-old Robco company operates approximately 125 trucks nationwide with terminals in Virginia, Minnesota and Missouri. Ronald Wilson is manager of the Carroll operations. At present there are 17 trucks based at Carroll but Robco expects to have as many as 50 based here by the end of 1976, Wilson stated. The 90x70 foot terminal building was erected on a four-acre tract in 1972 and in 1973 the terminal capacity was increased for a truck repair service. 91st Year for Signet Unit, OES 1 Three members of the Signet Chapter No. 1, Order of the Eastern Star are 94-years-old and older this year. Membership in the local chapter in mid-February stood at 187 men and women. Twenty-eight of the members have belonged for 50 years or longer. The order was chartered in Carroll 91 years ago. The order's framework dates back to 1850. It emphasizes charity and the Signet Chapter continues to extend fraternal interest and aid to its members, who are ill. The order's members are wives, daughters, mothers, sisters, widows or granddaughters of Masons, and the Masons themselves. Mrs. Robert McDonald, Carroll, and Allen Mason, Westside, currently head the Signet Chapter as worthy matron and patron. Additions to the room the chapter maintains at the Eastern-Star Masonic Home, Boone, were recently dec'ded upon. Signet Chapter also sponsors the local Rainbow Girls Assembly and members of the O.E.S. comprise the Rainbow Advisory Board. Other projects of the chapter this year are keyed to those selected by Mrs. LaVerne (Lucille) Gremmels, Edgewood. She is the worthy grandmatron of Iowa. These projects are ESTARL and Education, the International Temple in Washington, D.C., The Eastern-Star Masonic Home, Boone, Cancer Research, and Youth. Chapter meetings are held in the Masonic Temple the first Monday night of each month, except July and August. A school of instruction for officers and inspection meeting was Feb. 16. State theme this year is "The Touch of the Master's Hand." It emphasizes ' 'To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under Heaven, Eccl. 3:1. All nature whispers the beautiful message of the seasons. The aim this year is to live our faith and serve with a smile," the worthy grandmatron has stated. Mrs. McDonald also is president of the Past Matrons Club. This group of 25 persons meets quarterly. CHICAGOSHOW CHICAGO (AP) - The plans, photographs and models of some 150 buildings and projects designed by 100 leading Chicago architects are to be exhibited May 1-June 10 at the Museum of Contemporary Art. The exhibit is called "100 Years of Chicago Architecture."
What members have found on this page
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 11,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
- Millions of additional pages added every month