The Hays Daily News from Hays, Kansas on June 25, 2006 · Page 13
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Hays Daily News from Hays, Kansas · Page 13

Hays, Kansas
Issue Date:
Sunday, June 25, 2006
Page 13
Start Free Trial

fitntoidoeP SUNDAY, JUNE 25,2006 THE HAYS DAILY NEWS 'Magic' on display as Larks come from behind By RANDY GONZALES HAYS DAILY NEWS ,_,._-. -.-, ,-fr That ol' Larks' Magic showed up once again. The local summer-collegiate baseball team has made a habit of rallying for victories in home games in recent years, and Saturday night was more of the same at Larks Park. After Nevada (Mo.) scored two unearned runs in the top of the seventh to take the lead In the first game of a Jayhawk League doubleheader, the Larks answered with two runs in their final at-bat to take a 54 win. Garnet Hays 5, Nevada 4 N«v»d« (Mo.) (7-12,3-10) 020 000 2 — 4 4 2 Hay* (12-7,9-7)..^— 001 200 2 — 6 8 4 Allen, Combs (4), Christian (7) and Duwoody, Del- laeega (7); SprlngSton, Monterey (7) and Day. W — Montery (1-1). L — Christian (0-1). 2B — Wagner, Nevada; Slovall 2. Day, Murphy, Klngray, Hays. "That was a character-builder right there," Hays manager Frank Leo said. The Larks Improved to 8-2 at home this season entering Saturday night's second game with the Griffons. Things looked bleak after closer Mike Monterey (1-1) blew the save for starter Cliff Springston in the top of the seventh. The tying run scored on a passed ball and the go-ahead run on a wild pitch, and Hays committed two errors in the inning. When it was Hays' turn to bat, Leo said the players knew what needed to be dona "You've just got to remind them there are three outs until the game is over," Leo said. "There is no time clock." First baseman Dan Stovall, whose two- run double gave Hays a 3-2 lead in the fourth, led off the seventh with a line single to left field off Nevada closer John Christian (0-1). SEE LARKS, PAQEB3 Larks baserun- ner Eric Lawson beats a pickoff attotnpt at first base In Saturday's first gameofadou- bteheaderwtth Nevada at Larks Park. FRED HUNT Hays Dally News Royals rally for win over Milwaukee KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — David DeJesus doubled in a five-run fourth inning that was keyed by back-to-back Milwaukee fielding errors as the Kansas City Royals rallied for a 6-5 victory over the Brewers on Saturday night. Tony Graffanino homered leading off the fourth, and Doug Davis (4-5) walked Doug Mientkiewicz and John Buck. Angel Berroa then hit a grounder to short, but Bill Hall never got control of the ball and the bases were loaded. :•. Esteban German followed with a grounder to third baseman Corey Koskie, who fumbled the ball as Mientkiewicz scored. DeJesus then hit a two-run double that tied the score at 5. German scored the go-ahead run from third on Mark Grudzielanek's infield out to cap the scoring. Three of the five runs in the inning were unearned. Brandon Duckworth (1-1) pitched five innings for his first major league victory since April 24, 2004 for-Houston. The right-hander, acquired from Pittsburgh on June 10, gave up five runs, 10 hits and three walks with two strikeouts. Elmer Dessens pitched two hitless innings after relieving Duckworth with runners at first and third a'nd nobody out in the sixth. Dessens got Brady Clark to hit into a fielder's choice to third [baseman, Graffanino, who threw home to the ball backhanded for a force out at second, with Gabe Gross stopping at third. Koskie then grounded out to Dessens to end the inning. Ambiorix Burgos got the last four outs for his 12th save in 18 opportunities. The Brewers loaded the bases with two out in the fourth on two soft singles and a walk before Weeks lashed a two-run double to left-center. Koskie made it 5-1 with a two-run single but was thrown out trying to stretch it into a double. Davis went three innings and gave up six hits and six runs — three earned — with two walks and three strikeouts. Berroa had an RBI single in the second and Carlos Lee tied it 1-1 with a sacrifice fly for the Brewers in the third. • Game notes Th'e start of the game was delayed by rain for 51 minutes.... Five-time All-Star Mike Sweeney said fce plans to begin a rehab assignment next week at Double-A Wichita. Sweeney has been out since early May with a bulging disc. ... Three Milwaukee pitchers on the DL — RHP Tomo Ohka, LHP Jorge De La Rosa and two-time All-Star Ben Sheets — threw batting practice on Saturday. Junior Legion clinches tourney If there's a kid who can get through this and come back and get himself ready to play basketball again, Derrick is the type of kid that will have a chance to do that. Mark Johnson, FHSU men's basketball coach BY THE HAYS DAILY NEWS Thfe Hays Junior Legion baseball team clinched the championship of the John Bollig Tournament with a pair of wins on Saturday. Hays is the only team at 4-0 heading into today's action. The Eagles-wB play Russell 2:30 p.m. today at Larks Park in their final game of the tourney Kelton. Rule was the winning pitcher for Hays in both games Saturday He was^he winner in relief in a 6-5 victory over Salina in the first game of the day, then was the starter and Winner in a 5-3 victory over Colby in Saturday night's late game. Tournament wrapup will appear in Monday's edition of The Hays Daily News. An uphill battle B efore May 30, he had only been in the hospital once.That was when he was 12 years old and broke a bone in his leg. That leg healed but he still feels the effects of that injury, with one leg slightly longer than the other. Hence the slightest of limps when he walks. Fort Hays State University senior Derrick Turner has been fighting ever since. He played all sports, but basketball was his love. And when you grow up to be a 6- foot-4 post player and weigh a little more than 200 pounds, you're always fighting — and fighting hard. "The thing you see is a guy that's undersized, but his athleticism obviously stands out," said Tiger men's basketball coach Mark Johnson. "It's his mentality. He has a nose for the ball, has a knack for blocked shots. He's an exciting player and probably as exciting as anyone we've had at Fort Hays in a long time." down". In regular coMmUflteSSSfwitH his mother, she: insistedInathe gd'seei adoctor. -'. • • The first round of tprescrfptioa.medicine caused s'ide'effects, and Turner began vomiting. So he went back and was given a different prescription. His nervous system was weakening in the meantime. Friends reported Turner barely being able to walk, needing to lean on the shoulders of two friends for support. Then the week of Memorial Day, friends reported he was not able to walk at all. Friends and teammates had to carry him into Hays Medical Center. It was there that a specialist walked in and informed Turner that he had an infection that had caused Guillain-Barre Syndrome. On May 30, Turner was taken via life flight to Wesley Medical Center in Wichita and has been in the intensive care unit ever since. That's 26 days in the biggest fight he's ever had. For nearly the entire month of June, he has been paralyzed from the neck down. GBS is also called acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy and Landry's ascending paralysis and is an inflammatory disorder of the peripheral nerves — those outside the brain and spinal cord. It affects about two people in every 100,000 — a five-thousandths of one percent chance of acquiring the syndrome. The syndrome is characterized by the rapid onset of weakness and, often, paralysis of the legs, arms, breathing muscles and face. It can strike any person, at any age, regardless of gender or ethnic background. Although most people recover, the length of the illness is unpredictable and often requires months of hospital care. Most patients make a full recovery and return to normal or a near-normal lifestyle. That is the hope for Turner, who Thursday sat up in his bed — with the support of nurses holding his back and head — for the first time and has exhibited slight signs of movement in his hands and feet. He remains breathing via a ventilator, is being fed through a tube and can only communicate via yes or no answers by movement of his head or the opening and closing of his eyes. "It's been a disaster for me," said Jennifer Pugh, Derrick's mother. "The doctors told me that it's got to work itself out. Derrick has always been a hyperactive child, he's not used to sitting in bed all the time. When he gets conscious, he's looking around, trying to move or tell me something, but they give him more medicine and he goes back to sleep." To say that Pugh has struggled through the past 10 months is an understatement. The single mother of two who now lives in Jackson, Miss., was witness first hand to Hurricane Katrina in August when she lived in the family's hometown of Heidelberg, Miss. "It was a disaster," Pugh said. "We had a disaster in Mississippi, and we've been cleaning up the mess ever since. It's just a disaster." SEE TURNER, PAGE B3 DERRICK TURNER FHSU Basketball player Sttn to Mill SHUEEN PlMtl to HMIEIOPEH J.UV44. JtCUAiVlAl *V*(*£lV*Jf ¥» *** (*%l&VfU. MA J.TA\S1114C4jr O dition of The Hays Daily News. ' All eyes on Wimbledon: After two decades, tennis great Andre Agassi is leaving the game behind ly HOWARD FENDRICH back here and enjoy this tournament for Agassi has won eight major singles ti- -—--- -—- ' """•.'• Agassi married former tennis star Stef ASSOCIATED PRBSS the last time," said Agassi, who has played ties—one each at Wimbledon and the FEDERER THE FAVORITE AGAIN, fl Graf in 2001, arid they have two chil- By HOWARD FENDRJCH ASSOCIATED PRESS WIMBLEDON,England -Andre Agassi wilj retire after this year's US. Open, leaving tennis after two decades during which he collected a career Grand Slam and morphed from "Image Is Everything" brashness to elder statesman, ' The 36-year-old American announced his plans Saturday during a news conference at the All England Club, where Wimbledon starts Monday and he is Agatil seeded 25th. '' "It's been a lot of sacrifices the last few ijionths, trying to get myself right to come from here through the Open," he said. back here and enjoy this tournament for the last time," said Agassi, who has played only one match during the past three months because of back trouble. "It's been a long road this year for me, and fora lot of reasons. It's great to be here. This Wimbledon will be my last, and the U.S. Open will be my last tournament." He intends to play in four hard- court events in the United States between Wimbledon and the Open, in what will amount to a farewell tour for one of the most popular and successful tennis players in history"There's at Ul a lot of fight left in me Agassi has won eight major singles titles —one each at Wimbledon and the French Open, two at the US. Open and four at the Australian Open — and is one of only five men to have collected at least one championship at each of the Grand Slam tournaments. All this from someone who was, infamously, more about style than substance at the start of his career, drawing attention for his denim shorts, Day-Glo headband, long hair and earring. And it was all encapsulated by his "Image Is Everything" ad campaign for a camera company. There also was plenty of interest in his two-year marriage to actress Brooke Shields and his, friendship with Barbra Streisand. At one point, he went through a series Pay B5. of injuries and a dry spell so dismal that he dropped out of the top 100 in the rankings and resorted to playing on the minor league Challenger tour. Then came his remarkable renaissance, built in part with the most rigorous of training regimens. In 1998, he made the biggest one-year jump into the top 10 in the history of the ATP Tour by moving up 122 spots to No. 6. The next year, he won the French Open to complete his career Slam. "The day I won in Par-is was the day I knew I would never have another regret the rest of my career," he said Saturday. Agassi married former tennis star Steffi Graf in 2001, and they have two children. Ranked No/1 as recently as 2003, the oldest man to hold the top spot, he made a stirring run to the US. Open final last year, the seventh time he was the runner- up at a Grand Slam. His first major championship came in 1992 at the All England Club, far from his favorite tournament early in his career. After a 1987 first-round loss, he didn't return until 1991.4 "It's like it Was yesterday, 14 years ago," he said. "I imagine it's that way when your child goes off to college. You say, •What the hock happened in all these years?* It feels like yesterday for me, as vivid, as alive as ever."

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 9,800+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free