The Cincinnati Enquirer from Cincinnati, Ohio on September 15, 1983 · Page 33
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

The Cincinnati Enquirer from Cincinnati, Ohio · Page 33

Cincinnati, Ohio
Issue Date:
Thursday, September 15, 1983
Page 33
Start Free Trial

BUSINESS C-7-11 CLASSIFIED C-12-15 DEATHS C-2 METRO DIGEST C-6 EDITOR: JAMES P. DELANEY, 369-1003 THE CINCINNATI ENQUIRER THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 1983 urder Victim Evicted Tenant M i t - ' I' -' ' . "a" 1 ' ' ' Xcjd) " ''-7 41 "V , ; ; , ,-'; i. i A ''ill "J s . Jw . ft' Enquirer Photos BY GERRY WOLTER SOBS AT VERDICT: Sharon Faye Young, left, and her sister, Jean Smyrlakis, 61. Young could become the first woman to die in the Ohio Flain, sob as the guilty verdict is read Wednesday night after Young's electric chair since the state's new death-penalty statute was enacted in trial for the aggravated murder of Madisonvllle bar owner Elefterlos 1981. Avondale Man Charged In Slaying Suspect Picked Up In Burglary Probe the partly decomposed body of the 30-year-old woman was discovered. BY MIKE TURAAELL Enquirer Reporter An Avondale man picked up early Wednesday for investigation of an overnight Dana Avenue burglary was charged Wednesday in the murder of Eloise Duhart, who had lived on nearby South Crescent Avenue. Tony Curtis Patterson, 25, of 632 Rockdale, was charged Wednesday afternoon with aggravated murder of Mrs. Duhart and aggravated burglary of her residence after Cincinnati homicide investigators questioned him Wednesday. MrS. Duhart's body was discovered in her apartment at 734 S. Crescent Ave. on Aug. 8 by a relative. Her 4-year-old son was in the basement apartment with her and had lived in the room with the corpse for several days before CINCINNATI DISTRICT 4 police officers arrested Patterson at 915 Dana Ave. at 2:15 a.m. Wednesday after being Involved in an aggravated burglary at 1021 Dana Ave. a short time earlier. Patterson was picked up In the area in possession of a mask fitting the description of one worn during the nearby burglary. He was wearing a brown shirt, brown knit pants, white gym shoes and no socks, police said. Police said they recovered the mask and a pair of black socks when they arrested him. Someone broke into the South Crescent Avenue apartment while Mrs. Duhart was sleeping, Lt. Hugh Burger of the homicide squad said. "Apparently there was some sort of altercation, then he killed her. Whatever occurred, occured right there in the bed." Burger refused to divulge specific information that prompted police to charge Patterson with the woman's murder. But he said investigators had been looking at other burglaries in the area, looking for similarities. "It will come out at the preliminary hearing," Burger said. "Our guys picked him up because he was in the general area where Mrs. Duhart lived." HE SAID it wasn't the son's identifying him that prompted the charge. "I don't think the child ever saw him." The youngster survived in the apartment for several days after the death. Police had concluded the child was too young to realize his mother was dead. At the time, Burger said, "We felt the child had seen something. But from what we know now we don't think so." The charge was aggravated murder instead of murder because it was committed during the commission of another felony, aggravated burglary, he said. It was the division's only unsolved murder this year, Burger said. Thomas Kane Guilty Of Stabbing His Parents BY STEVE KEAAAAE and AAICHELE ORZANO Enquirer Reporters BATA VIA Thomas Kane was found guilty late Wednesday of two counts of attempted aggravated murder In connection with an attack on his parents with a wooden cross. He was, sentenced to two consecutive sentences of 4-25 years in prison. A Jury in Clermont County Common Pleas Court, following eight hours of deliberation, returned the verdict at 9:55 p.m. Kane bowed his head and sobbed openly as the verdict was read. His parents, Daniel and Mary Kane, were seated in the second row of the courtroom. They showed no emotion. But they tearfully hugged their son before he was led back to Clermont County Jail. The Kanes had no comment as they left the courtroom. THOMAS KANE, 27, had pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of Insanity to two counts of attempted aggravated murder in connection with the attack at 1:30 a.m., April 11. Judge Louis J. Schwartz recessed for 10 minutes to give defense attorneys time to explain sentencing options to the defendant. He then sentenced Kane to 4-25 years on each count to be served consecutively. That is the minimum amount, Schwartz said. Kane was given the opportunity to speak before the sentencing. In nearly unintelligible sobs, Kane asked the judge that he not be sentenced because he did not "understand what they (his lawyers) are saying." He then broke down and cried before returning to his seat. Schwartz assured him he would write a letter to the director of the prison system requesting psychiatric help for Kane. "I usually write and tell them this when I believe a person needs help." As the judge read the sentence, Kane bowed his head and sobbed openly. THE DEFENSE had requested a pre-sentence Investigation by the probation department, but Schwartz said lt would be of "no value at all. I have heard all I can hear. It would be a waste of time." Kane, who had been living with his parents In their home on O'Bannonvllle Road, east of Love-land, Is accused of using a cross to stab his parents In their bedroom. Police testified during Kane's trial that he told them he wanted to kill his parents In order to obtain their house and property. Daniel Kane, 66-year-old communications director with the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, and his 64-year-old wife were hospitalized with multiple stab wounds after the attack. Daniel Kane was In the hospital for four days and Mrs Kane for 10 days. The Judge permitted the Jury to consider a lesser charge of two counts of felonious assault. IN HIS closing argument earli er Wednesday, Kane's lawyer, Carl Zugelter, told the Jury that Kane was legally Insane when he attacked his parents. Kane's frustration over his inability to compete with persons of normal intelligence had been mounting for years, said Zugelter. Kane, who expert witnesses testified is mildly mentally retarded, had been keeping that frustration Inside him his whole life, he said. "That evening (April 11), Thomas Kane simply exploded," Zugelter said. "He didn't try to kill for money. He tried to kill because he snapped." BY PAUL FURIGA Enquirer Reporter Dorothea Irwin, the Wyoming businesswoman found stabbed to death by a boarder Monday night, forcibly evicted another boarder last year because the man had not been paying his rent, a close friend said Wednesday. Wyoming Police Chief Robert Hess said his men "are aware of every person she's had living in that house in the last six months," but said he could not comment further. Mrs. Irwin's friend, who asked not to be named for fear of retribution, said the evicted boarder was considerably behind in his rent when Mrs. Irwin kicked him out. MEANWHILE, POLICE investigators have impounded the car of Fred J. Baker, Mrs. Irwin's present boarder, and have put the man up in a Reading Road motel near the city. Baker, 55, has lived in a room of Mrs. Irwin's expansive home, 464 Compton Rd., for about a year. Hess said the man is no more a suspect in the death than anyone else. But "as a precautionary measure," Hess said his officers impounded Baker's car along with Mrs. Irwin's. Both Impounded cars and "a lot of other evidence" will be sent to the laboratory of the Hamilton County coroner for analysis, the police chief said. Hess said Baker, along with Mrs. Irwin's two sons and daughter, has agreed to take a polygraph examination regarding the woman's death Monday night. "We ask everybody we talk to (to take the test)," he said Wednesday. "Just about everybody we've talked to has agreed." Hess said the Investigators on his 13-man force spent most of the day Wednesday tracking down Mrs. Irwin's dozens of business contacts and combing her home for clues. "It's going to be a lot of legwork from here on out," Hess said. "It's a real clean (murder) scene real cold. . . . You go into av house that's absolutely clean . . . you're starting from scratch, that's for sure." MRS. IRWIN, divorced from her husband, John, several years ago,' was found slumped in the first-floor hallway of her home when Baker returned from an outing about 9:30 p.m. Monday, police have said. On Wednesday, Hess said she was stabbed numerous times In her chest and midsection with what appeared to be a small, sharp blade or knife. One of her arms! was broken, an Indication, he said, that Mrs. Irwin may have tried to defend herself. Despite an intensive search or wooded areas near the home and a backyard swimming pool, police were unable to come up with a' murder weapon Tuesday. Hess said investigators decided; to turn their emphasis to Mrs. Irwin's business Interests because she was involved in so many projects and "we're looking, perhaps, at one of those contacts." In addition to her Compton Road home, which once housed a day-care center, courthouse (See IRWIN, Page C-3) Jailer Candidate Creates Own Party BY KEVIN CULLEN Enquirer Reporter Joe Stone is the life of the party. . .really. Stone, 41, has found a way to break away from a pack of six independent candidates seeking the Job of Campbell County Jailer: He's created his own party. Stone first withdrew his previous nominating petition, which would have put him on the ballot as an independent. Then he filed as a candidate for the "Equality and Justice Party." That gives him a party label and a better ballot position. It took another 100-signature nominating petition. "For two or three minutes there, I wasn't a candidate at all," Stone said. "I had to be real selective with who I acLed to sign the second petition," :e said. "I didn't want other Ci--, '.,.r!a.s to hear about lt and do th- same thing. "I CONSIDER It an old-fashioned democratic thing to do," Stone said. "It's being resourceful and imaginative." The advantage is that Stone's name, his party's name, and the party's emblem-a tiny Jailhouse door will appear In a separate location, apart from the cluster of independent candidates. The ballot position, and the party emblem, Stone said, will attract more votes. He said he de- TTTT Equality And Justice JOE STONE'S party sets him apart from other candidates. signed the emblem and came up with the party's name himself. Stone said he tried to persuade county clerk Bob Kling to put his name and emblem with the names of the Republican and Democratic nominees. Kling, though, plans to put Stone and his party to the far right on the voting machines. (See JAILER, Page C-3) Taxi Dancing Comes Back, But Not At 10-Cent Rate BY KEVIN CULLEN Enquirer Reporter They're wearing high heels and dresses. No G;strlngs, no pasties. They don't bump and grind the night away. Instead, they're paid to give the men conversation and slo-o-o-o-o-w dancing, high-school prom style. Taxi dancers, after a 40-year disappearance, have returned to Newport's Monmouth Street. Foofle's, also known as the Club Mustang, 604 Monmouth St., began the renaissance Saturday, with one dancer. The men responded. "They love lt," Foofle's owner, Ruth Coyle, reported Wednesday. She has advertised In local papers for more taxi dancers, and a sign outside urges those Interested to call. The phone hasn't stopped ringing, she said. Two more women have been hired. IT APPEARS to be the first new idea to hit Newport's strip since nude dancing was banned last year. "In battle, generals study what worked centuries ago. Fads come back, and I think this Is one of them," Coyle said. A taxi dancer, in its original form, worked In dance halls, cafes and cabarets. The name signified she was for hire as a dancer. Men bought tickets, or paid the women for each dance. At Foofle's, the dancers are paid $3 an hour rather than per dance, and they receive an additional $1 each time one of their patrons orders a cocktail. "I don't see anything Illegal about lt," said Mike Whitehead, Newport's liquor control administrator. "They had them In the 1920s. They're mentioned In (F. Scott Fitzgerald's) The Great Oatsby." A melancholy torch song, "Ten Cents A Dance," which lamented the lonllness of men and women on the dance floor, was popular in the 1930s. Newport City Manager Ral Mussman said he remembereu taxi dancers in New York City during World War II. "I'D RATHER have this than nude dancers," he said. "I don't think lt will go over real big." "Taxi dancing got people though the Depression, and I'm certainly depressed," Coyle said. For months, she said, she has been near bankruptcy. When her power was shut off, she brought bags of ice in every night to keep the bar open. Until late 1982, she said, things were going well with go-go girls, then nude dancers at the Club Mustang. But, on Oct. 1, 1982, when the city ordinance banning public nudity hit, business died, she said. The strippers were furloughed, and the club changed Its image by offering live music. BUT WITHOUT women of some sort, the men stayed away and business sagged. Taxi dancers, which Coyle calls her "new gimmick" may be the answer. Though strippers peel up and down Monmouth Street, taxi dancers hold a lower-key, old-fashioned appeal, Coyle said. Coyle said she's looking for women aged 21 to 50 as dancers. "I look for good looks, but mostly for a good personality," she said. rf wl mi ii .nwJ mi -. ' 4 r. 4 4-. f v. . . . nW h Ws; r I, TM :M ui ' m r v n RUTH LYONS, in her days as host of "50-50 Club." Council Renames Downtown Alley For Ruth Lyons BY KAREN GARLOCH Enquirer Reporter Ruth Lyons, who has been called "The First Lady of Broadcasting," was honored Wednesday with a street called "Ruth Lyons Lane." Cincinnati City Council voted unanimously to rename a downtown alley In honor of Miss Lyons, whose 38-year career In television and radio Included the weekday-afternoon show, "50-50 Club." She Is also the founder of the Children's Christmas Fund, which bears her name. The ordinance to change Lodge Street, an alley northeast of the downtown Intersection of Sixth and Vine Sts., to Ruth Lyons Lane was passed very quietly by council at the end of a two-hour meeting. Republican Councilman Ouy C. Guckenberger, whose public works and traffic safety committee recommended the name change, said he was afraid "to make a big deal about lt" for fear that it would be delayed until the city administration finishes developing a formal procedure for the naming of streets. Three months ago, the committee delayed action on requests to name other streets after basketball great Oscar Robertson and the city's first mayor, David Zlegler, until the naming procedure is approved. But Quckenberger said the case of Ruth Lyons "was a special situation." "She's also very sick, and there was a desire to do something for her even though we hadn't finalized the policy."

Clipped articles people have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 22,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Publisher Extra® Newspapers

  • Exclusive licensed content from premium publishers like the The Cincinnati Enquirer
  • Archives through last month
  • Continually updated

Try it free