The Cincinnati Enquirer from Cincinnati, Ohio on October 2, 1991 · Page 9
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
October 2, 1991

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

The Cincinnati Enquirer from Cincinnati, Ohio · Page 9

Publication:
Location:
Cincinnati, Ohio
Issue Date:
Wednesday, October 2, 1991
Page:
Page 9
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 9 article text (OCR)

THE CINCINNATI ENQUIRER WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 2, 1991 SECTION B Way operator handled call may cost job Heart attack victim's family questions response of emergency crews EDITOR: KERRY KLUMPE, 369-1003 H.JIHW.IHIIHIIIIUB , 1 X: 1 X'':... ' - ter. It's a terribly serious matter, but it's an isolated one, and I would not characterize it as a widespread problem." The victim's son, Charles Klare of Reading, said he thought it took emergency crews too long to arrive. "The family could very easily be visiting Dad at the hospital rather than the funeral home," Klare said. But city officials said the 911 call between Harrison and Collins did not affect response time because medical crews already had been summoned. "We had seven calls six from pass- BY RICHARD GREEN The Cincinnati Enquirer A Cincinnati dispatcher is being investigated for the handling of a 911 emergency call from a man using a cellular telephone to report a roadside heart attack over the weekend. The victim died, and the family is criticizing the response time of emergency crews. City Safety Director David Rager and City Manager Gerald Newfarmer said Tuesday the emergency operator, Barbara Harrison, improperly told caller Charles lar call but asks "Where is the heart attack at?" and later tells the caller to give the information. Newfarmer said late Tuesday he had not heard the tape of the call but said the dispatcher's response would be evaluated. City investigating incident Rager's department launched an investigation Monday that could result in disciplinary action, possibly a suspension or dismissal, Rager said. "I can't explain why we mishandled the Collins call. I consider it an isolated mat ersby using cellular telephones reporting the incident," Rager said. "The first one came at 11:35 p.m., and the Collins call came in at 11:46 p.m. four calls after our initial report. The younger Klare said he received a telephone call Sunday morning from one of the people who tried to help his father. "She told me it had taken 25 minutes to get help to the scene," he said. "It's just a farce. We have a super 911 system. How could this happen?" Collins late Saturday that the cellular telephone call he made from his car could not be handled by city operators. "For some particular reason, the operator got it in her head we do not respond to cellular telephone calls. That's incorrect," Newfarmer said. Collins was calling to report that Deer Park resident Charles Klare, 77, was on the roadside near the intersection of Inter-states 74 and 75. Klare later died at Good Samaritan Hospital from cardiac arrest. In a recording of the phone call, the operator says she cannot accept the cellu Marching for more benefits ' " Fernald papers on risks debated BY ELIZABETH NEUS and BEN L. KAUFMAN The Cincinnati Enquirer Based on upbeat information that NLO Inc. gave employees about safety at the Fernald uranium-processing plant, he wouldn't have sued the company in 1985, former assistant plant manager Weldon J. Adams testified Tuesday. Company documents dated as late as 1985 the year NLO lawyers say the clock began ticking on the four-year statute of limitations for filing suit gave Fernald employees no reason to think their jobs were endangering their health, Adams testified. The workers sued in 1990, a year after NLO says the statute of limitations expired. Workers' beliefs examined The company documents included a 1985 letter explaining the potential health consequences of a major December, 1984, uranium leak none to workers, the letter said and a 1984 assertion that a Elections map gives GOP edge Plan adopted 3-2; Few changes here THE ASSOCIATED PRESS and THE CINCINNATI ENQUIRER COLUMBUS, Ohio The Republican-controlled state Apportionment Board voted 3-2 Tuesday night to adopt a legislative redisricting plan that could enable the GOP to win control of the Ohio House for the first time in 20 years. Gov. George Voinovich and the two other Republicans prevailed over the board's two Democrats after a long day of problems that included computer troubles and difficulties in resolving questions over minority House districts in Cuyahoga County. The plan calls for few changes in Hamilton County districts but would force incumbent Reps. Terry Tranter, a Democrat, and Dale Van Vyven, a Republican, into the same district for next year's election. Tranter has indicated that he may move into a new district to be created in the county and run for re-election in 1992. Members of the Ohio Legislature must live in the district from which they run at least a year before the general election. The plan would leave Hamilton County with three districts with substantial numbers of black voters two with populations that are more than 50 black and one in which blacks would be 25 of the population. Across the state, the plan gives Republicans a better chance of winning the House because one of its chief thrusts is to lump about 20 incumbent Democrats, who now control the House 61-38, into 11 new districts where they will have to face other incumbents Democrats or Republicans in next year's elections. State Auditor Thomas Ferguson and Rep. Barney Quilter of Toledo, the Democrats on the board, said the Republican-drawn districts violate reapportionment guidelines and promised they will be challenged in court. Unless thrown out in court, the 99 House and 33 Senate districts will stand throughout the next decade. The board, acting on recommendations of black elected officials, resolved the Cleveland area districts by creating four that virtually assure the election of blacks. Otherwise, there were no major changes in a statewide map that majority Republicans announced last Friday. The board meets after each census to reshape districts so that they meet equal population and other constitutional requirements. , -v. 'V ix A. 'A : J 1 A V 1 - - ' ' ft - J I . The Cincinnati EnquirerGlenn Hartong Dave Huber, left, who lives and works in a shelter for the homeless, and downtown resident Harvey Woodard Jr. join hands at Tuesday's protest. The crowd had linked hands while singing at City Hall, before marching downtown. Welfare recipients protest cuts study showing an increased risk of non-malignant lung disease for workers was flawed. "Should the workers have run right out and filed suit, based on this?" asked lawyer Stanley Chesley, representing workers su ing NLO. f ii "I certainly wouldn't have filed suit on the basis of this study," I ill Adams said in his fourth day of cross-examination. But Adams also said workers seemed to believe in 1985 that ' P-J Chi t they had an increased risk of can dren. In the 1991 fiscal year, Ohio budgeted $321,314,987 for general assistance. The budget for 1992 will be $285,062,544. For the 1993 fiscal year, after cuts are completed, general assistance is to cost the state $147,775,152. "When they cut it, I don't know what I'm going to do," said Ivy Garrison, who stays home to take care of her mentally retarded and disabled son. "They've got me at a disadvantage," Garrison said. "They are cutting me off, and I have to take care of him. He will get his Social Security, but how am I supposed to live? They're telling me to put on a miniskirt and become a hook- (Please see WELFARE, Page B-3) BY BRENDA J. BREAUX The Cincinnati Enquirer Chanting "Impeach Voino-vich," nearly 180 people stood on the steps of Cincinnati City Hall on Tuesday, then marched downtown to Fountain Square to protest cuts in state welfare assistance. The cuts that went into effect Tuesday will reduce general assistance (GA) benefits by as much $63 per month, to $100, and limit assistance to six months each year. The cuts will affect nearly 8,000 people in Hamilton County and nearly 3,000 people in nearby Warren, Butler and Clermont counties, welfare advocates estimate. The cuts will not apply to food stamps, Medicaid or Aid to Families with Dependent cer, despite company statements that Fernald was a generally safe t . - h i ' few 4V place to work. "They had all kinds of knowl . , A K .1 i. c s -r edge that was in the public domain, KS including statements by their own people claiming they had a higher Tne Cincinnati EnquirerGlenn Hartong risk of cancer," Adams said. "They believed it and they told me that. I believe based on what they be Protesters march south on Vine Street to the Star Bank building, where State Sen. Stanley Aronoff has his office. Children the chief welfare curity Income, are not affected program for families. Direct by the state budget cuts. Most federal benefits, such as Social recipients of general assistance Security and Supplemental Se- are single adults without chil lieved that they should have filed a suit." The workers sued for $500 mil lion in U.S. District Court, claiming that NLO, the plants operator Infant seriously injured in crash from 1951 to 1985, deliberately exposed them to hazardous amounts of radiation and kept them ignorant of the risks. The jury must decide when workers had reason to believe they had been harmed. Hearing, TV reports cited After Chesley's cross-examination ended, NLO lawyer David Bernick questioned Adams about a U.S. Senate subcommittee hearing at Cincinnati City Hall in April, 1985, when, company officials said, union officials demonstrated their familiarity with risks at Fernald. "We fear for the cancers and the leukemia known to be associated with these exposures, which are now only starting to appear," union council President Gene Branham told Sen. John Glenn, D-Ohio, during the 1985 hearing. "We fear for the chronic lung and kidney diseases that are now appearing." Adams also said local television news was full of stories about radiation problems at Fernald in early 1985. Jurors were shown a selection of television news reports and commentary. The trial resumes today. Lawmakers: List writers of bad checks BY ANNE WILLETTE Gannett News Service WASHINGTON After a weekend spent as the butt of jokes in their districts, Rep. John Boehner and four other Republican freshmen renewed their call Tuesday for disclosure of lawmakers who have bounced checks at the House bank. "Do this to remove the cloud of suspicion hanging over the heads of those of us who have done nothing wrong," Boehner, of West Chester, said in a speech on the House floor. He and the other freshman lawmakers had not even been sworn in during the time the checks were bounced. . "Do this to restore confi- (Pleasesee CHECKS, Page B-3) who have been hurt in car accidents. She said the most severe injuries occur when children are not in a car seat or the car seat is not properly attached to the seat belt. "I can usually tell when they are not restrained they have head injuries almost all the time," Haas said. "We can take care of splintered glass, but with a head injury, there's almost nothing we can do." The safest place for a car seat is in the back seat, Haas said. Infants up to a year old or 20 pounds should face the back of the car. Parents should also: Make sure the car seats are not outdated. "A lot of times, people get car seats at garage sales or they are handed down," Haas said. Make sure the car seat is tightly secured to the vehicle with a seat belt. Make sure the child is snugly strapped into the car seat, with all buckles buckled. Then check again. Read the instructions that accompany the car seat. Car-seat safety often lacking, survey finds BY CHRIS GRAVES The Cincinnati Enquirer An infant was thrown 10 feet from his car seat when his mother's car crashed into a wooded embankment off Colerain Avenue on Tuesday afternoon. Ryan Bosse, 4 months, was in serious condition at Children's Hospital on Tuesday. Police said Ryan was not strapped securely into the car seat, which remained in the car after the accident. His mother, Kathleen Bosse, 28, of Colerain Township, was not injured. Bosse's niece, Michelle Miller, 8, was treated at Children's Hospital. Bosse eitncr swerved to avoid a stopped car at Colerain and Bahama Terrace, or was trying to pass the car, when her car jumped a The Cincinnati EnquirerJohn Curley Cincinnati Police Officer Steve Edwards photographs the scene after Tuesday afternoon's accident. 81 of infants are not safely restrained in car seats, 25 of children ages 1 to 4 are not restrained, and 86 of children age 4 and older are not using seat belts. Haas sees children every day sidewalk, police said. Ryan Bosse is lucky to be alive, said Lynn Haas, trauma nurse coordinator at Children's Hospital. A survey of families who use Children's Hospital showed that

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page