The Hearne Democrat from Hearne, Texas on November 7, 1941 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Hearne Democrat from Hearne, Texas · Page 1

Publication:
Location:
Hearne, Texas
Issue Date:
Friday, November 7, 1941
Page:
Page 1
Start Free Trial
Cancel

THE VOLUME 51 HEARNE, ROBERTSON COUNTY, TEXAS, FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 1941 NUMBER 33 C CITY HALL HEARNE'S FUL BUILDINGS IN HEARNE SINCE 1935 Since the .inception'of the Work Projects Administration in July, 1985, that agency has assisted in a program of public construction and services through which .$166,244 has been expended in Henrne. Of the total amount expended in this city, WPA has provided $103,255. Of this amount, $84,914 went directly to workers in the form of WPA pay checks. The remainder was utilized for materials, equipment and sup- lll » J*~-i».J jj. Acclaimed by many as the most beautiful building in Hearne, the new city hall on the corner of Third and Cedar streets would, indeed, be a credit to any city, large or small. Built of native rock with just ^ 'f- '•enough white trim to set off the beauty of the rock, the new structure houses the city's administrative offices, the fire station and has a large council chamber, which may also be used for small gatherings by other city groups. Private offices for .the city manager and the city secretary are to the southeast corners of the building respectively. Between these is the business office where the public may pay their bills or transact other city business. Across the front of the building is the council chamber, in which seats have been installed for those who care to attend the various city functions. Beautiful mahogany finished furniture has been installed in this room. In the back of this room is the storeroom in which city supplies may be kept. On the north side of the building', adjacent to the municipal plant, is the fire station in which the city's modern fire-fighting equipment is kept. The interior of the building is modern, with beautiful walls (of various colors in the different rooms), flour- escent lighting and • a specially constructed flooring material supplied by the Modern Floor Co. This is the first city hall that has eveV been constructed for the city forces of Hearne since the city was | incorporated in 1871. Built at a total cost of approximately $12,000, the contractor for the work was Lawrence Brady of Hearne. Present city officers are: Mayor, J. G. Philen; Councilmen, C. L. Dillard, H. S. Spiller, P. L. Brady, A. L. Ely and C. P. Henry; Secretary, N. L. McCarver; Attorney, J. Felton Lane; City Manager, W. A. Wilkerson; Health Officer, Dr. W. M. Boguskie; Supt. of Utilities, H. D. Beaumont and Fire Chief, J. M. Nale. Outstanding on the list of WPA accomplishments in Hearne are the new $04,266 city park with its swimming pool, club house and golf course, the $35,000 Hearne gymnasium and street improvements which have been completed at a cost of $28,661. Also important in the Hearne WPA program are such activities as the sewing room and school lunch projects. On sewing room activities there have been expended $21,481, most of which went directly to women wage-earners, and $.'5,293- have been expended on the school lunch project. the beginning of the WPA program through August ill of this year total expendiutroa in Robertson county amounted to $872.818. Of $t>0, r vl. r >l contributed by WPA to this total, $4<17,5()0 was spent for labor. Expenditures in Robertson county were distributed by type of projects as follows: Construction and improvement of highways, roads and streets, $56,'109; construction and rehabilitation of public buildings, $40,356; construction of recreational facilities, $1)4,266; improvement of public owned utilities, $.1,722; public NEW U. S. POSTOFFICE BUILDING IS BEAUTIFUL INSIDE AND OUT .... , n/ , ^ -. _, ,. ,. ..*»..-. ..V. J'l^..' W t . J^v. tj II I IVI i Uli, \*tll 111, sanitation work, $0,125; operation oi , ,, . ,, ,.,, „ . .. t . ' ' ' ' . held at 2:30 on Tuesday, Nov. .11 Dedication ceremonies for the new | sign. There are more than 800 lock Huarne postoffke. building will be sewing rooms, $108,077; preparation and serving of school lunches, $19,075; operation of research and survey projects, $5,724; distribution of surplus commodities, $378. NEW $70,000 CITY PARK IS PRIDE OF HEARNE Red Cross Roll Call To Begin November 11 Committees for the annual Red Cross Roll Call for Robertson county have outlined their program, according to Morris Cohen, roll call chairman, and expect to begin the drive on Nov. 11 and rush it to completion in as short a time as possible. Mr. Cohen is serving as chairman for Hearne and vicinity which has been assigned a quota of $700. Other chairmen are Ben C. Love, Franklin; Reagan McCrary, Calvert; Mrs. R. L. King, Bremond; J. C. Lightsey, Benchley; DeWitt Love, Wheelock; Mrs. Hosea Collier and W. C. Vines, Mumford. These pected to raise chairmen are ex- a total of $800 to (See RED CROSS page 4) Stores Closed Tuesday MUNICIPAL CLUBHOUSE AT CITY PARK with a representative of the United States government scheduled to make the main address. The site at Third and Magnolia streets, was purchased late last year | from iMrs. M. P. Roystur, Morris Cohen and the H. K. Davis estate for a total of $8,500. The contract for the new building was awarded to the Leslie F. Crockett Construction Company on January of this year. The contract price was !;!f>0,877 (additions to contract have since amounted to some $1,000. Additional independent contracts total $4,000). Construction on the j building was started on January ISO I but some delay in the. work, caused by the difficulty in obtaining materials accounts for the late dedication. Thy new building, of Spanish architect, mv, is of unique de.sign. Occupying a site .1.25 feet along Third stivt-t ivy 115 feet along Magnolia, j the building itself is approximately i fit) i'eet .square. However, a canopy i'ov:r:'n<T the walk on both fronts of Representing a total expenditure of $68,000.00, the Municipal Park of Hearne stands as a monument to forward-looking citizens who long sensed the need of such a recreational center and who, at an opportune Most of the business houses of j time, vitalized a dream into reality. Hearne will be closed all day Tues- j Hearne views with pardonable pride day, Armistice Day, it has been announced by officials of the Chamber of Commerce. P. 0. PHARMACY ENLARGES Workmen started this week the work of installing an awning completely along the'west and north side of the old postoffice building, in preparation for the move of the Post Office Pharmacy into the entire building now occupied by the postof- fice. The building will be renovated somewhat and major changes made so that the drug store may occupy the space now utilized by them and the adjoining room. MUNICIPAL PLANT IS MAJOR FACTOR IN CITY'S DEVELOPMENT early part of the gan utilities company but, after that, Back in the present century a group sighted citizens of this community In 1921 • the city offices and the saw the possibilities of civic advance- fire station were placed in the muni- of far- had smooth sailing. this civic achievement, conscious of the fact that it did not spring up over night nor was it evolved by the rubbing of an Alladin lamp but was rather the result of deep thinking and planning. In the few inonths the park has has been opened to the public, it has afforded recreation and pleasure to thousands and in future years will serve thousands more who will be grateful to the city administration and others who made possible such an asset to the town. ' The $2,025 paid for the park site was secured by contribution from various organizations, individual subscriptions and a gift of a small acreage from the public school. Eighty- two acres of the tract was involved in the money transaction that was handled through channels^ of the Chamber of Commerce, which in turn presented the deed to the city. Of the $66,000 spent in the project, the City of Hearne furnished $22,000 for materials and labor and the Ul ° ''""Iding extend another 13Vi feet. WPA expended $44,000. J. W. Barretta of San Antonio was consulting , engineer, W. J. Barry was WPA sup-j ro ° r - To the . l ' ( ' ill '> !l crintendent and Lawrence Brady was j a " d "«win ff room" extend 25 feet to This canopy, with attractive tile covering forms an integral part; of the platform ment through municipal ownership of the water and light plant. An interesting history is behind the cipal plant building. In 1929, with the big wave of electrical refrigeration coining into full municipal plant's growth in the past! swing and industries rapidly turning 30 years. Back in 1909 Hearne was j to electricity as motive power, the being supplied with electricity from a small privately-owned plant. The little steam driven generator illuminated a very small number of lights in the business houses and homes. The service was poor and the lights dim. The City Council, composed at that time of the late Mayor P. L. Brady and A. B. Boyd, H. B. Easterwood, Phil Reilly, C. L. Dillard and W. A. Wil'kerson,. as councilmen, be- city administration realized the necessity of substantially enlarging the power plant. Until 1928 the plant had been operated by steam. As electrical consumption gained the city fathers were forced to follow the expensive method of installing a steam engine and generator and then replacing it with a larger unit a year or two later when current consumption ex- gan agitation for a municipal plant j ceeded the capacity, to meet the growing town's needs. Two years of planning and discuss- In 1928 the steam equipment was replaced with three vertical type, Qf induat the b - ing the financial end of the proposed pairbanka _ Mor direct connected plant, elapsed before action on the,^ horse y ^.^ e and installation of the equipment began. rators A vear later, to" meet the In 1911, with the same set of city officers except that R. D. Wray was added to the council, taking Mr. rtuum i.u mv vv,u, , *, Reilly's place, the municipal plant came into being on the site it now occupies. For two or three months, the plant had competition from a Michi- si ljnd 420 horse Diesel . . . ,, , _,, . . , engine was installed. This equipment ^ ^ smooth l y today and at an H cost of approximately one- (See MUNICIPAL page 14) foreman for the city with W. A. Wil-1 kerson serving in the capacity of supervisor for the city. First unit of the project to be completed, the swimming pool has been most generously patronized. Records show 8,736 tickets were bought at the bathhouse in 1940, in addition to season tickets used. 1941 records show the pool equally popular with 1100 in the pool the first two days it was open. The substantial bathhouse adjacent to the main pool and wading pool for the children fills every need for such a building in its modern equipment. Total cost of the city's part in the pools and buildings amounted to $8,358.31, according to records of city authorities. The sum of $5,302.94 was spent by city and supplementary funds used by the WPA in erection of the commodious clubhouse that is set on a hill with native trees surrounding it. Built of native rock and designed along modern architectural lines, the clubhouse cojitains a large assembly (See NEW $70,000 page 14) the we.st. The forced forms structure concrete the walls has a 12 in. rein- foundation which for the spacious basement. The exterior of the building above ground is of light buff stucco over furred tile and brick walls. A very attractive entrance at the corner has double doors entering into a vestibule. The gently sloping roof, covered with shingle tile is rounded at the corner adding a pleasing effect to the entrance. Upon entering- the building, one is impressed with the beautifully tiled floor and the wainscoat of tile with white oak panels to 7 ft. height and buff colored plaster walls. Along the east side of the lobby are the service windows—along the north side, the bronze lock boxes of Greek de- of various sizes that were purchased by the federal government at a cost of $o,4L8.78. At the south end of the lobby (on the east side) is the postmaster's office. This room, attractively finished, provides access to the "lookout"— from where the post office inspectors may look over the employes without being seen. At; the west end of the lobby (on the north side) is an entrance to the workroom, where the postal clerks carry on their work. Everything for the comfort and safety of the em- ployes and government funds has been provided. A vault., with a one-ton door, is at the south side. This vault- bus walls of reinforced concrete, 8 inches thick. Off this workroom is a "swing room" where employes may relax when off duty. Also at the went, side of this room is an exit'to the loading phitforW Which extends at the rear of the building. Rest rooms for both ladies and men are provided off the workroom. A stairway at the west side of this workroom leads to a large basement. In the west room of the basement a boiler (gas-burning) has been installed as the heating plant for the building. A large storeroom extending along tin- east side and three other storerooms make up the rest of the basement. An idea of the care with which the building-was constructed may be. gathered from the fact that for each part, a blueprint was followed. More than 100 blueprints were used on the job. A sub-soil drainage system around the building drains into a sump pit and a sump pump has been installed in the basement which will carry such water from the building and into the adjoining alley, doors in the structure Most of the are of steel, filled with cork. All hardware on these doors is of solid brass. Built under the Federal Works Agony of the Public Works Administration, Mr. Paul L. Vaughn was the construction engineer. George D, Smith was the superintendent in charge of construction. EAGLES DROP PALESTINE TILT, ANNUAL "BIG GAME" TONIGHT Two Dedication Programs Are Announced Dedicatory ceremonies for the post-] catory address. office and have been city buildings arranged for Tuesday! At the conclusion of ceremonies, (By Cayco Moore) Playing on a rainsoakcd field, the 1 Eagles dropped a hard fought game to the Palestine Wildcats, G to 0 last Friday night in Palestine. The Eagles who went to Palestine aboard a special train, played on morning an informal reception will be held at| tv<jn u ' m>H with the Wildcats except and afternoon hours, allowing a| the City Hall and City Plant. Visitors rest period between the two pro-1 to these buildings are invited to stop grams that are expected to attract the entire citizenship of Hearne. The city buildings will be dedicated with a program in the municipal clubhouse beginning at 10:80 a. m. N. at the fire station where the Band Parents Association will serve sandwiches and the makers of Admiration coffee will dispense hot coffee. At the Federal building, a concert L. McCarver, city secretary, will by the high school band will open ex- serve as toastmaster and all city officials will have platform seats with the speakers to be Introduced. erciaes at 2:80 and the flag raising which follows will he in charge of the Miles Scrivener Post American Leg- The high school band under direc-! ion. A second selection by the band tion of Millard Cloys, will open the j will precede the invocation and the program with a patriotic selection j introductory remarks by the toast- and the invocation will be given by Rev. A. E. Riemann. Speakers repre- master. Mayor J. G. Philen will give the senting organizations will be Ben welcome Parten of Franklin for the American guished address, introduce distin- guests and the principal Legion; Roy Henry, president of the j speaker of the occasion. Following Chamber of Commerce; W. A. Wil-jthe benediction the band will play kerson, city manager, for the city of j The Star Spangled Banner. Hearne; Joe F."Minter of Austin for) Open house will be held after the Works Projects Administration.! ceremonies with the postal force as Mayor J. G. Philen will give the dedi- hosts. for a Wildcat drive in the second quarter that brought the only :u:ore of the game. The field was wet and slowed the offense of both teams, but probably hurt the Eagles the most by slowing their fast backs and causing a costly fumble in the third quarter. Abbott and Daniels were the leading ground gainers for the Eagles, Self turned in a good defensive game. In the. Hearne line, Haining, ball to the Wildcats 32. From here Daniels raced the Palestine right end for twenty yards to place the oval on the 12 yard line. Two plays later Palestine recovered a fumble and the threat was over. Box Score Hearne Palestine Kingsley „ Woodard Contella _ •_ Vandiver L. T. Piefer _ , White L. G. Ilaining Meador C, Smyth Griffin R. G. ._ Dean Jackson R. G. O'Brien _ _ Beard R. E. against the heavy wall. O'Brien, Kingslcy and Griffin played Self „„ _ Wynne a great game Wildcat forward The first quarter was a set-saw affair with both teams kicking often. Abbott's kicking was outstanding. Midway in the third quarter the Wildcats carried to the Eagle 12 and a few minutes later Archie Nivens plunged the line for the only score of the game. The third quarter opened with Daniels, Abbott and Allen lugging the Q. B. Allen __ Price R. H. R. H. Abbott ..,.,- Nivens L. II, Edmonds _ Pierce F. H. Officials: Robert Brown (Centen- nary) referee; J. T. Myracle (N. T. S. T. C.), umpire; Harmon King: (Stephen F. Austin), head linesman. (See EAGLES page 4)

Clipped articles people have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 22,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free