Note: This clipping was created from a page that has been replaced with a better quality image.
Newburg Store History
Norwegian Baptist Pastor Founded Little Newburg NEWBURG METHODIST CHURCH . . . This edifice long ago replaced a log church whose finishing touches were hauled by train from La Crosse, some 50 miles distant. It followed a Baptist congregation established by Hans Valder first Norwegian Baptist minister in the U S. NEWBURG SCHOOL . . . The district still is operating, with nint'itudents in grades W. Older children attend Mabel School. St. Charles High To Participate in Guidance Studies ST. CHARLES. Minn. _ St. Charles Senior High School has been selected as one of 85 Minnesota schools to participate in a study of high school guidance programs. It is the first known study of its kind in the nation. The project is being conducted by Dr. A. W. Tamminen of the University of Minnesota, Duluth, director, and G. Dean Miller, Â«tate Department of Education guidance consultant. Field workers associated with the project visited the St. Charles school recently to collect data on the guidance program bere. Cooperating were Larry Blow, senior high principal, Jo- seph Karakw, guidance director and counselor, and Roger Traxler, part-time counselor. Random teachers and students also cooperated. Purpose of the study Is to find how the various aspects of guidance are related to the results they are intended to produce. The study will help shape future policy regarding guidance and point the way to further research. Â· Trempealeau Valley Cooperative to Meet WHITEHALL, Wis. (Special) -- Trempealeau Valley Dairy Cooperative will hold its annual meeting Thursday at 1:30 P-m at the city hall. Directors will be elected and checks for 20 percent of equity for 1965 will be distributed. By BURR GRISWOLD Sunday News Cormpondent MABEL, Minn. (Special)-The founder of the hamlet of Newburg, Hans Valder, was the first Norwegian Baptist minister in the United States. He came to this locality from La Salle County, 111,, in 1853, accompanied by his and six other families. Valder'built the first house in Newburg. It was 14 by 16 feet. Bark was peeled off basswood trees for the roof. Boards for the floor were obtained from Decorah, Iowa. Later he built an addition in which he kept a few groceries for the settlers of the new locality. In 1858 he built a larger house, which was used as a hotel to accommodate weary travelers. A post office was established in 1854, with Mr. Valder as postmaster. On Dec. 18, 1855, the village was platted. VALDER was born in Stavanger, Norway in 1813. He married Bertha Guhlraug in 1835. Two years later they came to this country, settling first in Michigan and later in Illinois. Following the death of his wife he married Betsey Ager. She, too, lived only a few years. His third wife was Ellen Olson. By his three marriages he was the father of 17 children. A granddaughter, Mrs. Leonard Northouse, now lives at Mabel. A son, Charles, was the founder of Valder's Business College al Decorah. Newburg's founder, who had been a teacher in Norway, was a follower of the Norwegian evangelist, Hans Nielsen Hauge After his arrival in the Norwegian settlement of Fox River, HI., he became a Baptist, having his home as a meeting place for those who sympathizec with the Baptist faith. He be came the first Norwegian Bap tist minister in the U.S., joining . the clergy In 1844. He organized the Norwegian Baptist Church at Indian Creek 111., in 1848. IN WRITING a petition to the American Baptist home mission NEWBURG STORE . . . Standing in the 113-year-old Fillmore County settlement a few miles northwest of Mabel and west of Highway 43 is a store, ft was built at the crossroads in 1923; there has been a store here since the first settlement. The hamlet was platted but never incorporated. (Burr Griswold photos) isking for financial assistance tor his church, he told of the rials of the Norwegian Baptist He was regarded by many a a heretic and was not allows to use a meeting house. A soc ety was organized to oppose bi church. He was finally grantee his application for financial as sistance, being supported by persons, of whom seven joinet in pledging a total of $13 fo the year. He left the Baptis church when he decided to mov west, and for a number of years was inactive in religious ma ters. On May 20,1860, Valder, alon with 23 other persons, organize the present Newburg Methodis congregation, under the leader ship of the Rev. H. H. Haaland rior to this time services had een held in Valder's barn, hich stilt stands on the south- ast corner of the crossroads i Newburg. NOW THAT the congregation Â·as organized, its next step p as fÂ» build a place of worship, his was not an easy matter s railroads were not extensive nd trucks and automobiles adn't been developed, The ma erial for a church had to be auled from La Crosse, Wis., y team, but to hearts set on fire or the Lord, nothing seemed mpossible. Thus, with much struggling, rials and hardship, the first hurch was erected the same ear. It was not fashionable, or it was made of logs hewn y hand, with the finished ma- erial obtained from La Crosse, t was plain, but to those firs! members, it was the coziesl hurch on earth and often those irst families sought God's peace ind comfort within its walls. The present church was bull n 1922. Walter D. Flesner is he pastor. Mrs. Orrin Peter son is superintendent of the Sun day school and Mrs. Margare Tengesdahl heads the Women's Society of Christian Service. / small park is maintained jus o the southwest of the church :he land having been given by :he late C. G. Austin. alder, clerk. A small log choolhouse was built. Miss roily Seeyle was the first teach The present school, known a! istrict 231, is maintained foi ractcs 1-6. Seventh and eighth rade students attend school in label. Mrs. Reuben Elton of armony is (he teacher for the Ine pupils now enrolled. They re: Christine Hover, Jolleeta renno, Marsha Garness, Cheryl 'elson, Ann Gerard, Mary Ann lelson, Cheryse Brenno, Sandra lelson and Kelly Brenno. Serv- ng on the board of education are Dale Knudsen, Cleon Breno, Ordell Garness, Joe Stortz, lilton Gerard and Clifton Hov- The oldest resident of the vll- age is George Johnson, who elebrated his 80th birthday 2. Next oldest are Mr. and rfrs. Edwin Blagsvedt, the former reaching 80 in March. Blagsvedt will reach the fourscore mark in April. THREE DAYS rival' of Valder after the ar In Newburg } Choose r TED MAIER DRUGS Downtown Phone 7000 Miracle Moll Phone 7100 Six Registered Pharmacists to Serve You The professional knowledge and skill of these pharmacists is yours when you bring your doctor's prescription to Ted Maier Drugs, Downtown or Miracle Mall. Not only during store hours do they serve you but, should an emergency arise, they are on 24-hour telephone call. Come in and get acquainted with them . . . their friendly competence eptomizes the importance of tervice at Ted Maier Drugs, and the importance of you as their customer. came Hans Arneson. He erected jie first blacksmith shop of pop ar poles, 10 by 12 feet. This wa *e only shop of its kind in an area of 15 miles. Very shortl afterward came Gabriel Gab rielson, arriving in 1855. He coi ducted a grocery store in Va der's building for a short time then built the first mercanti! establishment in the new vi lage. He procured his first stock o goods from J. H. Smith a Brownsville. It consisted of pounds of coffee, two pieces cotton sheeting, two pieces denim, several pieces of calicc and a few Yankee notions. J paid $100 for the entire stoci Later he bought his goods in Dubuque, Iowa. E. L. Tollefson opened a store in Newburg in 1870, but remained only a short time, moving to Riceford. With the coming of the narrow gauge railroad to Mabel in the fall of 1879, he moved bis building and goods there, becoming Mabel's first merchant. On Aug. 29, 1922, while the Newburg store was operated by Charles Eastman and Theodore Johnson, fire destroyed the structure. The present store building was built in 1923 by Archie Thompson of Rochester. Elmer Faa, Mabel, bought the new building from Thompson and added living quarters on to the north. Atfer operating the store four years, Faa sold to Casper Ladsten. He operated the business 27 years, selling in 1954 to Lyle Amdahl, the present storekeeper, and moving to Rushford. DISTRICT No. 3 Â«chool was organized in Newburg in 1856. First officers were: Osten Peterson, Malhew Mathison, Hans Arneson, trustees, and Hans f.