Plantation

plcarmack Member Photo

Clipped by plcarmack

Plantation - By Barbara Hunter As the threat of inclement...
By Barbara Hunter As the threat of inclement weather from hurricane Ivan closed in on our area, Historic Clarke County's "Dinner Under the Stars" was transformed into an enchanting indoor candle-light dinner at the home of Ken, Brett, owner of Lang Plantation at Langsdale. The aftermath of the storm left Prairie Palace without power until shortly before guest were served. The candlelight setting, however, only added charm and authenticity to the moment. This three-story Greek Revival mansion was built circa 1812 by Thomas Powe Falconer. A Spanish land grant gave Falconer 83,000 acres of land populated by the Choctaw Indians. The cost of building the mansion at that time totaled $35,000. Most of the wood used was white oak, the boards nailed together with hand-hammered square nails. All bricks used in building the house were made on site. The mansion took twelve carpenters approximately 14 months to build. Although not a proven fact, it has been rumored for more than 100 years that the massive 38-inch columns of the mansion are made out of marble from Scotland, surrounded with hand-made bricks, and then molded with concrete. , In the entryway there is a petticoat table with swivel mirror. As the finely dressed ladies entered the house, they glanced in this mirror to make sure their petticoats were not showing. ' The staircase is original to the house and was made in Paris. Because of the blockade of New Orleans during the War of 1812, See Lang Plantation, 2A

Clipped from
  1. The Clarke County Tribune,
  2. 30 Sep 2004, Thu,
  3. Page 1

plcarmack Member Photo