Clipped From The San Bernardino County Sun

SteveStrummer Member Photo

Clipped by SteveStrummer

 - Gilmore died two after four bullets SALT LAKE...
Gilmore died two after four bullets SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -Executed -Executed murderer Gary Gilmore was alive for two minutes after four bullets from a firing squad tore through his heart, the Utah state medical examiner said Monday. Dr. Serge Moore, who examined Gilmore's body after the execution and performed an autopsy, told a news conference that Gilmore's basic functions continued after he was shot Monday morning at Utah State Prison. "I couldn't tell you whether he i 304 i 181 ; I I 2 t cr cn' at f ir to r 6 in oinbo222 n n t m m io at w at j oi at cn Source: Boot of Criminal Justice 4 SMntks 1973 was sensing pain," Moore said, in response to a question. "All I can tell you is that he was breathing and there were the automatic functions of the body going for two minutes." Following the execution, Gilmore's body was taken in a mortician's blue station wagon to the University of Utah Medical Center, where Moore performed a three-hour three-hour three-hour autopsy. Hospital officials disclosed that Gilmore had specified that only certain certain organs could be removed from his body. They had said before the execution that portions of his skin, bones and nerves would be removed for medical use. However, in a document signed Jan. 12, Gilmore listed his eyes, kidneys, liver and pituitary gland as the only organs he wished to be turned over. He directed that the remainder of his body be given to his uncle, Vern DAmico, for cremation. cremation. Moore said the body was removed by Walker Mortuary of Provo from the medical center shortly after the autopsy. Both of Gilmore's eyes were to be made available to surgeons for use in cornea transplants, in accordance with his directions. He had expressed a wish that one of his two kidneys be used in a transplant, but hospital officials said the violent nature of his death made the kidney unusable to a recipient. Moore said that he placed the white paper target used by the five anonymous marksmen on Gilmore's chest. He said he detected no emotion emotion on the part of the convicted murderer and exchanged no words with him. He said that all four bullets entered the body within an inch or two of each other, passed through the heart and exited. It would be difficult to determine whether a minutes hit him single bullet alone would have been sufficient to cause death, Moore said. One of the five rifles contained a blank charge so that none of the members of the firing squad could be sure he had fired a live round, prison officials said. Gilmore . . . (Continued from A-l) A-l) A-l) Gilmore joked and sang as his death approached. A break in that mood came when the temporary stay was announced. Stanger said Gilmore cursed Ritter, using strong obscenities. He said the convict felt he had received a gift because "he knew when he was going to die and he felt he was indeed fortunate." Stanger added, "In the wee hours of the morning, he expressed thanks and some sorrow. He was a good man. He expressed love for children." Gilmore was executed for the murder of Bennie Bushnell, 26, a Provo, Utah, motel clerk. He had also admitted killing Max David Jensen, 24, an Orem service station attendant. Both were shot during robberies. Each left a young widow and a child. He was never tried in the death of Jensen. The death announcement was met with silence by about 60 death penalty opponents demonstrating outside the prison fence. They had been jubilant at the stay, but turned morbid as they watched Gilmore carried in a light tan van across the prison complex to die. The shots that killed him could not be heard either in the briefing room where newsmen waited or mong the demonstrators. 1 ola Snn) l'orr iil

Clipped from The San Bernardino County Sun18 Jan 1977, TuePage 2

The San Bernardino County Sun (San Bernardino, California)18 Jan 1977, TuePage 2
SteveStrummer Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in