Fayanne Beecher. Found horned owl.

slhill203 Member Photo

Clipped by slhill203

Fayanne Beecher. Found horned owl. - The Bird Lady Healthy Horned Owl Returned to...
The Bird Lady Healthy Horned Owl Returned to Habitat By HELLEN OCHS The Bird Lady A great homed owl is one free, happy bird today thanks to several people. Fayanne Beecher of 4355 Washington called and told me that when she and husband husband Bruce started for a Sunday morning bike ride they saw a huge owl hanging in a barbed wire fence. I told them I would get help for the owl. ' I couldn't go so I cal'itd Jill Lamoreux. As usual when I yell for help, Jill said, "I'll be there." With Holmes at the wheel, they pulled into my -driveway. -driveway. Jill said, "We need Charles' hawk-handling hawk-handling hawk-handling gloves and do you have any Coke?" I told her, "No Coke but here are the gloves and pliers for wire cutting." Coke given to a raptor that has been without food and water can be very, helpful. helpful. It must be used in amounts determined determined by the weight of the bird. This can keep a dehydrated bird going. It gives quick energy until other help can be given. While I waited for Holmes and Jill to come back, I visualized what had happened. happened. I honestly don't know hpw, many raptors I have rehabilitated Twith ChSrles' help) that had injuries frcTrri flying into television antenna wires, utility wires and worst of all, barbed wire. As with the others others this was what had happened to the owl the Beechers discovered. . It had been in fierce pursuit of prey that had veered sharply when it got close to the fence. The owl simply didn't have time to lift and flew into the barbed wire, hitting with tremendous force. Often when this happens the wire snaps and wraps around legs, wings and the body and results results in broken legs and wings and even internal Injuries. When Holmes and Jill came back they told us that a young man ip the neighborhood neighborhood had freed the owl and put it up in a farmer's barn. Because Jill felt the owl should be checked-for checked-for checked-for injuriesshe had Holmes climb up and get it. At this time of the year an open wound on a bird can become infected in a very short time. When they came back with the great horned owl I saw there was no sign of bleeding. But until we could get his talons unhooked from the bath towel he was rolled up in, we couldn't determine the condition of the wings. Finally the owl and the towel were separated with none of us losing a finger. But that owl wasn't about .to cooperate. It tried hard to get into its protective position on the back with legs and talons up ready to strike. The wings seemed in a normal position. We felt sure there were no broken bones. Later, Jill took the owl to Dr. Robert Newlin. He gave it antibiotics to prevent problems. Then as the Lamoreux family was leavinjAon vacation, Jill turned the , owl over to my much needed and appreciated appreciated "hawk and owl man," Marvin Rath-burn Rath-burn Rath-burn of Hartsville. ' Two. weeks later Marvin called and said he had the owl ready to be released. He feels strongly about returning a rehabilitated rehabilitated bird to its selected habitat when possible. We agreed to meet and see the owl set free. FLY AWAY-Marvin AWAY-Marvin AWAY-Marvin Rathburn of Hartsville Hartsville prepares to release a Great Horned Owl. It had become trapped in a fence and was nursed back to good health. (Photo by Charles Ochs) We formed a caravan. Holmes and Jill . Lamoreux led the way. Charles and I and John Lamoreux, 10, followed them. Marvin Marvin and Pat Rathburn with the owl followed followed us. We tried to invite the Beechers and the young man who rescued the owl from' the barbed wire to join us, but we couldn't find them. With all of us talking at the same time and offering Marvin advice as to where to stand and how to free the owl, he tried to avoid the beak and sharp talons. Then came the moment that he lifted the owl high and released the jesser. What a thrill to see the beautiful, strong, healthy owl ' lift and fly. to the roof of the barn. It perched perched there briefly and surveyed the situation. situation. Then it moved to a more protective perch. That fellow was home again. BIRD CALLS: Joe and Catherine Schofield of Hartsville Pike have three hummingbirds coming to their feeder. Catherine thought they were all males since no red was visible. This, no doubt, is , a family still together, but I would guess at least one is a male. In direct, bright sunlight, the red on the throat would show up. Also, one could be an immature male. The Schofields had an exciting adventure this spring thanks to. their neighbors, the Lewis Maurers. ' When Maurer saw a mother wood duck with 16 little ducklings parading across his lawn, he called to the Schofield's grandson, Jason Brewer, 6, of .Houston, Texas; to come and see the 'ducks. The mother duck moved on but the little ones got excited. The Maurers, the Schofields and Jason hurried inside and peeped out at the ducks. One little duckling tumbled into the Schofield's window well and 14 others followed. followed. One ran to the mother who called frantically. The little ones-'jumped ones-'jumped ones-'jumped buf couldn't make it. Joe went out and lifted them up and each one ran to the calling mother. She disappeared into dense vegetation, vegetation, hurrying toward the river.

Clipped from The Republic30 Aug 1980, SatPage 13

The Republic (Columbus, Indiana)30 Aug 1980, SatPage 13
slhill203 Member Photo
  • Fayanne Beecher. Found horned owl.

    slhill203 – 03 Dec 2016

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in