Salt & Queer Creeks Part 2 Logan Daily News June 10, 1961
Svitufdoy, June IQ, l%l Naturalist Traces Salt, Queer Creeks Continued from Page D * 4p All Cave on Rt dh Btoommgvillc. cofe ond »berc Christian Ebv built the first cabin in Benton Twp in Hacking Countv We left Salt Creek Twp and entered Benton Twp. fust east of Narrows Rd Manv landmarks arc gone m South Blocmmgville A tilling station station occupies the site of the Pleukharp store The two hotels passed from the scene mom vears ago, so did the red mill that stood on the bank of Queer Creek Several roads meet in South Blocmmgville One would take us up Goose Creek another climbs to the Oldfield Ridge, still another ascends to the Chapel Ridge The rood we follow is Highway 56 which follows the vallev of East Fork of Queer Creek, a stream that was originally called Feed Rock Run. Soon the highway climbs o steep hill with rock outcrops to the left Before this rood was mode a highway it did not climb this hill. It was here the rood took to the stream bed; to follow the bed of the stream for much of the way to Hue at the Vmton County line. Once over the hill, the highway winds through interesting forests and at the base of high cliffs Here the highwav offers beauty rather than speed During winter, spring, summer or fall, this is a beautiful drive This curve, then that curve, ond soon we arrive at the Ash Cave State Park. Beneath the rock overhang the early settlers found piles of ashes .... hence the name Where these ashes came from, no one con be sure. Some say they were ashes of hundreds of Indian campfires; campfires; others say they were the ashes from the fires of horse thieves. From whatever their cause, the ashes gave this state park a name Just bcvond Ash Cave, Scenic Highway 374 turns to the left but we continue uo the vallev, the cliffs diminishing in height as we drive east. For a short distance the road follows along the bank of East Fork, where Indian paint brush gro**s, then climbs a long grade At the crest of this grade is a small white building This is Hue Here, in the fall of 1882, a post office was established. Sometime about the vear 1925 this post office was abandoned The exact date we do not remember, but we do recall mailing cards during our early hiking trips through Hocking County. Hue was closer to Ash Cave than was South Blocmmgville.