1961 - School dedication - Ova Haney

robthurman Member Photo

Clipped by robthurman

1961 - School dedication - Ova Haney - urban-renewal he to on in his Lallnc Completes...
urban-renewal he to on in his Lallnc Completes 3-Year 3-Year 3-Year Program Sptclal to Tho Courltr-Journtl Courltr-Journtl Courltr-Journtl Hodgenville, Ky., Jan. 2. Completion of a three-year three-year three-year building program that has consolidated the. school system and helped upgrade instruction will be marked by the dedication January 13 of the new LaRue County High School. Governor Combs, Lieutenant Governor Wilson W. Wyatt, ' ' ' Mate Superintendent of Public Public Instruction Wendell P. Butler, Butler, and the presidents of the University of Kentucky and the five State colleges will be among dignitaries taking part in the 1 p.m. ceremonies. The new high school, on U. S. 31-E 31-E 31-E about lVz miles south of Hodgenville, replaces three high schools that were inadequate, inadequate, according to Mrs. Jewel Hamilton, supervisor of County County schools. The system also was handicapped, handicapped, she said, by too many 12 one-, one-, one-, two-, two-, two-, and three-room three-room three-room elementary schools, insufficient insufficient classrooms, and the poorest of cafeterias. On A 50-Acre 50-Acre 50-Acre Site The new building program, carried through the Superintendent Superintendent Ova O. Haney and the Board of Education, gives the system a modern, centrally located located high school on a 50-acre 50-acre 50-acre site. It includes an auditorium-gymnasium, auditorium-gymnasium, auditorium-gymnasium, band room, 20 classrooms, two science laboratories, a darkroom, a library, a home-economics home-economics home-economics department, and an agriculture shop. Three large elementary centers remain in the system Buffalo, Magnolia, and Hodgenville. All-purpose All-purpose All-purpose rooms, have been added at all three. Four additional classsrooms were constructed at Buffalo and five at Hodgenville. A new two-room two-room two-room school has been built at Lyons and two other small elementary schools have been remodeled. School Dedication Set Staff Photo OVA O. HANEY LaRue County superintendent Altogether, LaRue County citizens have spent $1,372,290 in the last four years on educational facilities. Most of the new high school was built through issuing revenue bonds but without any additional taxation. 30-Cent 30-Cent 30-Cent Property Tax Voted In March, 1959' The remainder of the program was aided by a properly tax of 30 cents on each $100 voted by citizens in March, 1959. There had been two unsuccessful attempts to pass the tax in the previous year. Mrs. Hamilton gave this thenandnow comparison of the school system: In 1952 the State Department of Education reported, after a study of the educational program in LaRue County, that the elementary program would not rate highly and that the curricula and daily programs of the three high schools offered a very circumscribed program at great per-pupil per-pupil per-pupil expense. There was no foreign language 'available to any high-school high-school high-school student in LaRue County and only one school offered an extremely limited program in science and advanced mathematics. mathematics. There was one library in the county. Today three years of foreign language are available to all students in LaRue County High School in a room equipped with a language laboratory. There are eight offerings in mathematics and four in science. Teacher-Pupil Teacher-Pupil Teacher-Pupil Ratio Cut Sharply In addition to one of the state's best-equipped best-equipped best-equipped high-school high-school high-school libraries under the guidance of a qualified librarian, each of the three large elementary centers has a central library directed by a certified librarian. The inequalities of class size and teaching loads were indefensible indefensible in 1952. Today the teacher-pupil teacher-pupil teacher-pupil ratio is about 30 pupils to a teacher. A high-school high-school high-school guidance program under the direction of a qualified counselor was begun last year. A band was organized in 1955 and a football team in 1959. Mrs. Hamilton added that the teaching staff has been increased from 66 to 99 in a seven year period. Daily attendance attendance has increased from 87 to 95 per cent since 1952. And the cost of transportation has been reduced by $17.87 per pupil in that period. In 1952 there were about 1,900 pupils in school. This year there are 2,222. couple Foster he . at as

Clipped from The Courier-Journal03 Jan 1961, TuePage 15

The Courier-Journal (Louisville, Kentucky)03 Jan 1961, TuePage 15
robthurman Member Photo
  • 1961 - School dedication - Ova Haney

    robthurman – 03 Dec 2016

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in