jopolony Member Photo

Clipped by jopolony

RueObit1 - Edwin "Skip" Rue, Bataan Death March survivor,...
Edwin "Skip" Rue, Bataan Death March survivor, dies HARRODSBURG Edwin W. "Skip" Rue's death Sunday at the University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center Center reduced to six the number of survivors of the Bataan; Death March from the National Guard , unit formed in Harrodsburg. "With what they went through, it's remarkable that there are that many still living," living," said Howard Howells. ' Rue, 94 at the time of his death, was one of the first members when he enlisted in 1934. He was soon made an officer and was the group's leader. "He was a fine man, a fine officer and a gentleman," said Bland Moore, of Nicholasville, one of the six veterans of the Harrodsburg unit still alive. The National Guard unit here was put into the regular Army and arrived on the Philippines in 1941, not long before the island nation was attacked by the Japanese. "We were bombed on the same day as Pearl Harbor," Moore said. Of the 66 men in the unit from Harrodsburg, only 37 made it home. The American and Filipino armed forces on the Philippines held out as long as they could Rue against the Japanese army and navy, but were forced to surrender surrender in April 1942. That's when some of the worst brutality of World War II began. The Japanese marched the men about 100 miles to a POW camp, but along the way the men were beaten and tortured and died of starvation and disease. disease. Any man that fell behind was executed and the men who survived were used as slave labor by the Japanese. It became known as the Bataan Death March as the line of men 70 miles long were marched off the Bataan peninsula peninsula of the Philippines. Moore said the group was separated and he had no contact with Rue during the march. Rue was the first commander of the Bataan Memorial Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars here. "He got people together and helped organize it," Howells Howells said. He remained in Harrodsburg Harrodsburg after being liberated by the U.S. Army after the war. "He worked in the hardware business with my father-in-law, father-in-law, father-in-law, father-in-law, father-in-law, Col. George Chinn," said Howells, Howells, a veterans leader in Mercer Mercer County. He later went to work in Lexington and lived there until the end of his life. "They were a fine family," he said of Rue's family. Rue was the oldest of 13 children. While members of the Harrodsburg unit came to live in other places, they have maintained contact with each other over the years, Moore said. Visit our

Clipped from The Advocate-Messenger30 Nov 2004, TuePage 2

The Advocate-Messenger (Danville, Kentucky)30 Nov 2004, TuePage 2
jopolony Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in