E. W. Van Kirk Valley Center house fire
a HAD A NARROW ESCAPE E. W. Van Kirk Burned Ont at Valley Center. E. W. Van Kirk was burned out of his home at Valley Center early Saturday morning. Not only did he (losc most of his property but he also nearly lost his own life as well as those of his wife and children, in the fire. He woke up between 3 and 4 'tf'clock Saturday morning to find the house wrapped wrapped In flames. Ills room was comparatively comparatively free from the fire but the room in which his wife and two of his children were sleeping was a mass of flames. The ceiling - was burning ov them and It was with difficulty thaft he forced his way through the heat and smoke Into the room. He carried his wife and children children out safely but was badly Injured by the heat and smoke. The fire was roaring' over his head and the heat was so Intense that he had to crawl along the floor. After the citliens of the town were aroused the fire Hcas easily extinguished. The house was badly damaged and practically practically all of the furniture was destroyed. However, Mr. Van Kirk Is thankful that he and his family escaped with their lives. Mr. Van Kirk Is employed by the Thos. E. Stillman Co., at 122 East Douglas avenue, avenue, and ges out to Valley Center every night, returning to Wichita on an early morning tra'n.