Oct 23, 1995, Monfils Homicide: Prosecutors hammer Basten Credibility pg 1

jodysharon2004 Member Photo

Clipped by jodysharon2004

Oct 23, 1995, Monfils Homicide: Prosecutors hammer Basten Credibility pg 1 - A-2 A-2 A-2 Tuesday, October 24. 1995 Green Bay...
A-2 A-2 A-2 Tuesday, October 24. 1995 Green Bay Press-Gazette Press-Gazette Press-Gazette From A-l A-l A-l Monfils "I think." Basten said Monday. "I said i think.' Baston. Kutska. Mike Piaskow-ski. Piaskow-ski. Piaskow-ski. Rev Moore. Mike Hirn and Mike Johnson are accused of being party to homicide in the case. Several witnesses have said they last saw Monfils at his No. 7 paper machine at about 7:35 a.m. That's close to the time Basten said he came out of the neighboring neighboring No. 9 control room with Kutska and Moore, but he said he never saw Monfils. That was only one item of dispute dispute between Lasee and Basten Monday. Lasee tried to show that Basten was lying, or that his actions often showed he knew more than he claimed. For example: Basten said he didn't know until the morning of Monfils' disappearance disappearance that Kutska had a tape of Monfils telling police that Kutska planned to steal an extension extension cord from the mill. However. Kutska had testified he told Basten about the tape the previous day. Basten said he was at the No. 9 machine for about an hour that morning because of a production problem the machine was having. However. Basten testified he turned a valve on the machine before he even checked any monitors monitors indicating what would need to be adjusted. Turning the valve involved removing a valve cover that Basten removed probably only once in the last nine years, he said. Basten explained he just chose that valve as a starting point in determining what the machine's problem was. Basten testified he was in the No. 9 control booth about 7:47 a.m. when Kutska walked in and announced Monfils was missing from the No. 7 machine. With no verification of Kutska's remarks and no effort to determine whether Monfils told anyone where he was going, Basten walked over to the No. 7 control booth and remarked to Piaskowski and Moore about Monfils' absence. Monday's Prosecutor Larry Lasee asked Dale Basten about the first time Basten learned Keith Kutska had a tape recording of Tom Monfils tipping tipping police about Kutska's intended intended theft of an extension cord. Basten said he learned it when he tried to send Jim Counard to fix a problem on the No. 9 paper machine. Basten said Counard asked whether Mike Johnson could be sent instead, and Basten agreed. Counard mentioned the tape briefly then, Basten said. However, Lasee said Counard refused three times to go to the No. 9 machine. "Isn't it a fact that Counard said the tape was there so he didn't want to go?" Lasee said. "Didn't he say he would rather go home than to the No. 9 coop?" "He never said that to me," Basten said. Basten told two police investi Upcoming witnesses Today: Continuing testimony testimony from Edward Geisel-man. Geisel-man. Geisel-man. a psychology professor from the University of California-Los California-Los California-Los California-Los Angeles, who will testify about interview techniques techniques and their effect on memory. Geiselman is the last witness to be called in Dale Basten 's defense. Mike Johnson's lawyers will likely take up his defense later today. "I hear you're making shorthand shorthand pay." he testified he said to them about 7:55 a.m. Basten then walked to an ice machine nearby and encountered a supervisor. He testified that his thought at the time was that the supervisor didn't know Monfils was missing. Basten told police to "keep an eye on" millworker David Wiener, even though Basten had only talked to Wiener once, asking him one question, after Monfils' death. Wiener testified he saw Basten and Johnson carrying something presumably Monfils' body near the vat where Monfils' body eventually eventually was found. Wiener also said Basten came around the vat area numerous times after Monfils' death to ask questions and try to intimidate him. Basten said he approached Wiener once to ask him whom he worked with that morning, and Wiener became frightened and left. Basten told a mill investigator in February 1993 he broke down twice because of the pressure the investigation was placing on his personal life. He said he broke down once in front of police and once at the mill. Basten testified that was because his children were being teased and harassed in the neighborhood. However, in February 1993, no one would have known Basten was a suspect, and there should have been no pressure, Lasee said. highlights gators during questioning, "I didn't know (defendant Mike) Hirn didn't get along with Monfils." However, Basten said Monday he couldn't account for how he learned that information. "I heard it at the paper mill, that they didn't see eye to eye," he said. Basten said he never "met with" Johnson, a defendant in the case, after the weekend of Monfils' death. However, he took Johnson out on a boat once, and Johnson had been to Basten's cottage a few times. Records indicate 12 phone calls from Basten's house to Johnson's from July 24 to Aug. 13 of 1993, and 11 calls from Johnson's to Basten's house in the same period, Lasee said. But Basten said the families' children play together, and they might have made those phone calls.

Clipped from Green Bay Press-Gazette24 Oct 1995, TueOther EditionsPage 2

Green Bay Press-Gazette (Green Bay, Wisconsin)24 Oct 1995, TueOther EditionsPage 2
jodysharon2004 Member Photo
  • Oct 23, 1995, Monfils Homicide: Prosecutors hammer Basten Credibility pg 1

    jodysharon2004 – 03 Dec 2016

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in