Clipped From The Columbus Telegram
Monument marks location of former church DUBLIN CHURCH — St. Patrick Church of Dublin, a mission of St. Patrick Church of Clyde for a number of years, was built in 1885 at a cost of $600. Landscaping the church area was done with cedar trees hauled in by wagon from the banks of the Platte River. Nearly 100 former parishioners of St. Patrick of Dublin attended a dedication mass Sunday afternoon at the site of the former church 11 miles northeast of Schuyler. The church was torn down earlier this year, shortly after it was sold to Bill Marxsen of rural Schuyler. The Rev. Richard Arkfeld officiated at the mass and the Rev. Stanislaus Golick of North Bend, a former pastor of St. Patrick, was special guest. Guitars were played by Jan and Kathy Beran and Keith Cerny. Cerny also read the church’s history. Jim Kluek and Paul Beran were lectors. A stone monument just outside the tent where the parishioners stood out of the rain was purchased by former members of the church and others. It reads, ‘Tounded by Irish Immigrants, 1884-1973/’ A cross from the roof of the church stands with the monument, which also shows a sketch of the former edifice. St. Patrick of Dublin and St. Patrick of Clyde, situated within a mile of each other were sold last year and services discontinued. As the inscription on the monument says, the church was founded by Irish immigrants northeast, of Schuyler, which came to be known as Dublin. Soon after their arrival, the people requested Bishop O’Connor in Omaha to send a priest and Father John Longran of Fremont said the first mass in the community in the John Ryan home, about a half mile west of the present site of the church monument. Father Longran returned every two or three months for mass and the families took turns meeting him at the train in Schuyler with their lumber wagons. For ten years Fr. Langran celebrated mass with the community. In 1881 mass was moved to the Dublin school house a mile east of the monument (the school, known as District 7, closed its doors in 1965) until 1884 when construction of a church began and was finished the following year for $600. The church was dedicated by Bishop O'Connor, Father Doyle and Father Hannon on Aug. 15, 1885 and became known as St. Patrick Church of Dublin. The two acres where it stood were donated by the James Rogers family. The church grounds were landscaped by area parishioners and a fence added in 1892. The first organ was purchased and the choir organized by Father Holisell. The original altar in the new church was replaced between 1892-96 and this altar served as the main altar until torn down this year. At the same time the sacristy was added to the main church and a vestment case built. In 1913 the choir loft was added, a basement dug and a furnace installed. The first stations of the Ways of the Cross were donated, replaced in 1913 and again in 1941- • , In the fall of 1921 stained glass windows were added and St. Patrick of Dublin remained a mission of Fremont until 1889, when it became a mission of Schuyler. Records show the first three babies baptized in the church were Thomas Murphy, Annie Costello and William Pollard. During the years the church was a mission of St. Augustine Church, the church was served by the following pastors: Father Ennsik, 1889-90; Father Hohisel, 1890-1892; Father Mugaji, 189296; 189296; Father Jubgles, 1896-99; Father F.J. McCarthy, 18991912; 18991912; Father J.S. Dobson, 191217. 191217. In June 1917 Father P R. Kelly was appointed the first resident priest of Clyde, the parish of Dublin became a mission of Clyde. Father Kelly remained until 1923 and was succeeded by Father Teahan who remained for 16 years through the Depression and the Drought. In June, 1939 Father Teahan was succeeded b y Father Flynn who served until 1941. Father Clement Kubesh was pastor until 1946, followed by Father Edward O’Donnell, 1948-49; Father Clement Byersdorfer, 1949; Father Norbert Boland, 1949-59; Father Stanislaus Golik, 1959-66; Father . Lucian Astuto, 1966-68; Father George Saxon, 1968-71; and Father Richard Arkfeld, 1971-73. Parishioners at the time the church was closed down were Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Beran and —Telegram Service Pholo DEDICATION — Father Richard Arkfeld dedicates the memorial memorial which includes the cross that was atop the Dublin Church before it was torn down earlier this year. Nearly 100 persons attended the dedication Sunday afternoon standing under a tent out of the drizzle. sons, Mr. and Mrs. Emil Beran and children, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Cerny and children, Mr. and Mrs. William Cerny and son, Mr. and Mrs. Martin Healy and children. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Joseph Heavican and children, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Heavican and children, Mr. and Mrs. John Higgins and children, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hassmeier and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Kluck and sons, Mr. and Mrs. Leonard McNally and children, Jim McNally, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Neesen and sons, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Neesen and son, Mr. and Mrs. Milo Novaeek, Mr. and Mrs. Marian Peters and children, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Svoboda and daughters. St. Patrick Church of Clyde, a church within a mile of St. Patrick of Dublin, was sold the same time as the Dublin church to Emanuel Brothers and Dave Reznicek of North Bend. The Clyde church, which remains standing, has a history which coincides with the Dublin church. Like the Dublin church. St. Patrick of Clyde was begun by Irish descendants, who homesteaded Pleasant Valley district of Dodge County in the 1870’s. First to homestead the area were John Curran and John Kilker, followed by other Irish settlers who came from the coal mines of Pennsylvania and Ohio to farm the topsoil of Nebraska. Some of the early pioneers who relied on the Curran and Kilker families when they first arrived were Thomas, Michael and Martin Gaughen, John Farrell, Michael O’Hare, John Gallagher, Thomas, Luke and Michael Chapman, Denis and Michael Killeen, Patrick Kelly, William O’Neil, John Brennan, Mary, James and Patrick Bryan and John Martin. Other families who arrived later were Daniel Mundv, Michael O’Hara, Patrick Brogan, John Quinn, James Moran. Moran. Michael Dougherty, Patrick Tully and Patrick Owens. Through prairie fires, hot winds, and grasshopper plagues, priests from Fremont were directed to serve mass for the Irish settlers of the Clyde area. A settlement six miles west of Clyde known as Ryan’s Settlement to some, was also known as Dublin. Noting the Dublin area was also settled by Irish immigrants receiving Sacraments from Fremont priests, the Clyde settlers contacted the Dublin settlers to consider building a joint church. Problems of location and crossing Maple Creek brought decision on separate churches. On Sept. 28, 1881 Vk acres were acquired from Martin Gaughen for a church building and in 1882 Kelly’s Hill was acquired for a cemetery of 40 acres. In 1884 the parish and Father Patrick McDonald voted to build a wood-frame church for $3,000. Families worked together to erect the church, donating to the cost and the work. In 1885 the edifice was dedicated S t. Patrick Church of Pleasant Valley and the main altar was donated by the John and Caroline Emanuel family. The first organ, which belonged to Catherine Killeen, was brought, to the church on Sundays for mass. Records show the firs t, wedding took place in 1885 between John Gaughen and Mary Linahen. The first baptisms were of Marie Kelly and Joseph Killeen. The lirst confirmation was held in 1888 with 48 honored. Receiving their first Holy Communion Sept. 28, 1894 were Michael Dougherty, Frank Owens, James Tully, Bngett. Brogan, Mary Curran, Kate Farrell, Kate Gaughen, Ann Kelly, Brigett Kilian, Kate Mundy, Gertrude Nolan and Helen Owen. St. Patrick remained a mission church of Fremont until Albert Hork was appointed resident pastor of Ridgely and St. Patrick became his mission. He was succeeded by Father J.M. Delbove in 1894. Shortly afterward a sanctuary was built to the north of the church, a room was built to the east, one to the west, to the front and side altars added. Hugh Gaughen, son of Pioneer Martin Gaughen, opened a post office March 26, 1896, and a general store just east of the church, which he named Clyde. Clyde became a congregating place for area bachelors. Hugh closed the post office in August, 1903. His cousin, Martin Gaughen ran a general store across the street south of the church for a while. When he died, the store also died. The name, Clyde, remained for the area and church. In 1903 Father Thomas Moriarity succeeded F a t h e r Delbove and later the St. Patrick Church of Clyde became a mission of North Bend until 1918. Mass was said every other Sunday at Clyde and Ridgeley. The year 1918 marked a beginning of a new era lor the Clvde church, with Father P.R. Kelley appointed resident pastor with ‘ Dublin as a mission church. A new rectory was built in 1918 for $7,000 and a guild organized. Father Denis Teahan succeeded P'ather Kelly in June, I923- . One story told of 1< ather Teahen’s Dublin church one Palm Sunday when his car stalled. He took the palms and started across a pasture. When an angry bull took after him, he threw the palms at the bull and made for the nearest fence. I he Dublin church did without palms that Palm Sunday. The Guild of Clyde church began planning card parties and dances at Webster Hall. Dance music was furnished by the Dunkers band with Miss Lorena Powers joining in sometimes. In 1939 Father Teahen was succeeded by Father Waltci Flynn who was replaced by Father Clement Kubesh in 1941. At that time annual chicken dinners were planned with hot food prepared in the basement of the rectory and served under a huge tent from Ridgeley. Dishes and silverware were brought by the people themselves and posed a headache to sort out at the encl of the day. Bingo and chuc k luck wheel included prizes donated by local stores. The events, attended by people from miles around, were said to eacn make over $2,000. A story told of fr ather Kubesh is that he had a man cutting wood for him on a cold winter dav and to help keep out the. cold, he gave the man a bottle of whiskey to keep the church books straight, he entered the liquid as anti-freeze. Following Father Kubesh in 1946 was Father E d w a r d O'Donnell. At that time the side church altars were removed, an oil furnace added and the choir loft built. , Other priests serving the church were: Father Clement Beversdorfer, 1948-49; fr ather NH Boland, 1949-59; Father Stanislaus Golik, 1959-66; Father Lucian S. Astuto, 19 6 6-68 ; Father George A. Saxon, 196H- 71; and Father Richard Arkfeld, 1971-73. An electric organ purchased in 1949 was played by Miss Lorena Powers for almost 57 years. Throughout the years the church was renovated and improved until March 197.} when Father Arkfeld was notified the Dublin parish would have to be That’s all it takes to get your message to the right people when you use the Classified columns in the Telegram. And whether your “few words” concern buying or selling,, hiring, renting, finding or just telling . you’ll get the results you want, quickly and inexpensively, w'hen you use Telegram Classified ads. DIAL 5 6 4-2741 and we’ll put your words in print! TELEGRAM CLASSIFIED ADS closed and the Clyde church would once again become a mission. Following meetings of the congregation, a delegation was sent to the Bishop May 23, last year with a request that the Clyde church be closed at the same time. During the history of the two churches, one priest, fr’ather Thomas Martin, S.J., and one nun, Sister Bernard Kelly, have come from the church parishes. The sale was held June 10 last summer and Father Arkfeld was appointed pastor of a parish in Lynch. Members of the church have since scattered their attendance to various churches in the Schuyier-North Bend area. About 14,000 farmers i n Alberta Canada, are involved in milk production.