Brazos Co. first courthouse demolished in 1954

hpmayo Member Photo

Clipped by hpmayo

Brazos Co. first courthouse demolished in 1954 - FIRST ONE GONE History will record that Brazos...
FIRST ONE GONE History will record that Brazos County's first court house, built 113 years ago, and the fitth courthouse, erected 62 years ago, both passed from the local scene in 1954. The original county head* quarters building, a bullet* scarred log structure "built by individuals" was purchased purchased by Judge G. B. Reed, a former chief justice of the county, and removed in sections sections from BoonTille io Harvey, Harvey, where it served as his residence for many years. In 1906, Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Carroll purchased the home- site and they, too, lived in the old courthouse until their new frame house was finished finished the following spring. Their son, R. L. Delia Carroll, Carroll, present owner, demolished demolished the historic building this summer. He had previously previously offered it as a museum piece to the county but as the county had no place to put it, the offer was refused, according to County Judge A. S. Ware. of 3, in a

Clipped from
  1. The Eagle,
  2. 08 Aug 1954, Sun,
  3. Page 6

hpmayo Member Photo
  • Brazos Co. first courthouse demolished in 1954

    hpmayo – 29 Jun 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in