Thomas Forster bio

just_zig Member Photo

Clipped by just_zig

Thomas Forster bio - DAILY TELEBBAPE HARRISBURG, PA.:. SATURDAY...
DAILY TELEBBAPE HARRISBURG, PA.:. SATURDAY EVENING, MAY 15, 1SS0. CONTRIBUTIONS TO TEG BIO GRAPHIC - 11, HISTORY OF DACPH1N OOUNTY. Eldei:, Joshua, second son of Rev. John Elder and Mary Baker, was born in Pax - tang township, now Dauphin county, Penn'a, on the 9th of March, 1774 5. lie was a farmer by occupation. Daring the frontier troubles of 1763 4 he was in active military service. When the Revolution broke out he was a leader on the patriot side and appointed one of .the sub - Lieu Lieu tenants of Lancaster county, as also a justice justice of the Peace, serving until the close of the wa. lie was a prominent advocate for the formation of the cuuty of Dauphin, and under the constitution of 1790 was commissioned by Gov. Mifflin one of the Associate Judges of the courts, August 17, 1791. The appointment, however, of Sheriff Clunie to the Bench on the resignation of David Harris, who had removed to Baltimore, Baltimore, so incensed him that he peremptorily resigned. He was appointed by Gov. M' - ' Kean prothonotary Jan. 5, 1800, a position he filled by re appointment until Feb. 6, 1809. Ia March, 1810, he was elected burgess of the borough of Harrisburg. He died at his residence in Paxtang on the 5th of December, 1820. Judge Elder was twice married, first to Mary M'Alister, who died Nov. 21, 1792; secondly to Sarah M'Alister, . who died Dec. 6, 1807. They are all interred interred ia Paxtang church grave - yard. Mr. Elder left a large estate, which he carefully devised by will to the children of bis deceased brothers and sisters. He was an influential and patriotic citizen, a kind neighbor and a gentleman of remarkable dignity of manners. He was a warm supporter of free education, and on the organization of the Earriaburg academy, was one of its first trustees. Ellmakee, Amos, the 6on of Nathaniel Ellenaker, was born in New Holland, Lancaster Lancaster county, Penna., on the 2d of February, February, 1787. He graduated at Yale College, . and after completing his law studies at the . celebrated law school under J udge Reeves, at Litchfield, Conn., he came to Harrisburg, and began the practice of his profession, being admitted to the bar at the December term, 1808. He was commissioned Deputy Attorney General for the county of Dauphin, January 13, 1809, serving until July 3, ; 1815, when he was appointed by Governor Snyder President Judge of this judicial district. In 1814 he accompanied the volunteers volunteers to Baltimore as an aid to Gen. Forster. On the 80th ot December, 1816,he resigned, to accept the position of Attorney General J of the State, serving to 1819. In June, 1821, he removed to Lancaster, resuming the y practice of his profession. He was the anti - f Masonic candidate for vice president of the U. S. in 1832. Judge Ellmaker died at Lancaster on the 28th of November, 1851. He married, Jane 13, 1816, Mary R., daughter of Thomas Elder and Catharine Cox, of Harrisburg, who survives. Mr. - Ellmaker, says Mr. Harris in his remi - - niscences, "was reported to be a good law - - - "yer, and his addresses to the jury, when at the bar, were clear, distinct and argumentative." argumentative." As a gentlemen, he possessed in an eminent degree those characteristics 1 which distinguish men of rare endowment He was well informed and of a lively social disposition, and in all the relations and positions of life was a model worthy of . imitation. J , Fahnestock, OsED,the son of Peter Fahnestock Fahnestock and Elizabeth Bolthouser, was born at Ephrata, Lancaster county, Pa., Febru - ary 25, - 1770. He came to Harrisburg with V his brother Conrad, who was a printer, and began merchandizing, in which he was quite successful. He served as coroner from 1802 to 1805, and Nov. 12, 1813, was appointed by Gov. Snyder one of the asso - r ciate judges of the county; but July 30, 1818, upon the appointment of Samuel D. Franks as president of the courts, both he and his colleague, George Whitehill, resigned. resigned. January 17, 1824, Mr. Fahnestock was commissioned prothonotary and clerk of the court of quarter sessions serving six years. He took an active and prominent part in local affairs, and was for a number of years a member of the town council and president thereof. He died at Harrisburg March 2, 1840, aged seventy years. Mr. Fahnestock married, April 19, 1796, Anna Maria Gessell, b. January 9, 1777. She survived her husband two years, dying on the 3d of December, 1842. Fettjsrhoff, Philip, son of John Fet - terhoft, was a native of Lancaster county, Penn'a, born Sept. 2, 1788. His father removed removed to Upper Paxtang township prior to 1806, and established a mill in what is now Jackson township. He was brought up to the occupation of his father. He commanded a company from his neighborhood which inarched to the defense of Baltimore in 1814. After his return he was chosen colonel of one of the militia battalions. He was elected coroner of the county, serving lrom Oct 24, 1821, to Nov. 20, 1824, and . ' filled a number of local offices. Col. Fet - terhoffdied at his residence in Jackson township on the 4th of September, 1833. He was much esteemed socially, and courted for his political influence. - Fisher, George, the son of John and Catharine Fisher, influential Quakers of Philadelphia, was born in that city in 1732. His father purchasing a large tract of land on the Swatara, conveyed it to the son in 1754, and on which he settled about the same year. Forseeing the ad vantages, Geo. Fisher, in 1755, laid out a town on the highest highest portion of his farm, naming it Middle - town. He married, in 1755, Hannah, daughter of Jonas Chamberlain, of Salisbury Salisbury township, Lancaster county. Pa., by whom he had three childien, John, George and Hannah. Mr. Fisher died in February, February, 1777. By will he devised to his son John the homestead, and to his son George the plantation at the moufh ot the Swatara; his daughter receiving, ia lieu of land, 809. John Fisher became a physician; and George Fxoher, a lawyer of considerable reputation at the Dauphin county bar. The lattter was the father of Judge FiBher, of York. Fleming, Robert, the fourth son of Robert Fleming and Jane Jackson, was born in Chester county, Pa., June 0, 1756. His parents were natives of Argyleshire, Scotland, who subsequently removed to Ireland, and from thence emigrated to America, about 1746, settling near Flem - ington, Chester county. Prior to the Revolution Revolution they located within the limits of the "New Purchase," on the West Branch of the Susquehanna, but during the "Great Runaway," in 1778, they sought refuge among some friends in now Dauphin coun ly. About 178 - 1 they removed to Hanover township, Washington county. Pa., locating locating on Harmon's creek, where they resided at the time of their death, Robert Fleming at ninety six and his wife at ninety four. Robert Fleming, tbe subject of this notice, remained in Dauphin county, purchased a large tract of land in Hanover township, on which he resided during his life time. On the 6ih of February, 1783, he married Margaret, daughter ofJohn Wright. In the early history of this locality Mr. Fleming bore a prominent part. He was one.of the founders of the Harrisburg bank, and largely instrumental ii the erection of the ' llarrisburj; bridge. lie wa aa officer in the volunteer force o! 1812. and filled ac ' ceptably various Iocs offices. He was an elder in the Ilsnovr church duriiirthe ministrations o Rev. Jamas Saodvrass, and was an earnest, zealou3 Christian He died February 4. 18t7; his wife December 12, 1813, aged fitly nine years. Tiiey are both interred in Hanover chuch graveyard. graveyard. , Forster, Thomas, (1st) was a native of county Antrim. Ireland, ot' Scotch parentage, parentage, bow ia J il J w.U - iiMttd to America America at an early period, and was among the . first who took up land in what U now Pax - , tan township. He was a gentleman of means, had received a good education, and was for many years one of tbe Provincial Provincial magistrates. He was removed, late in lite, on account or his rerusai to oust some squatters on Proprietary lands. He was a prominent personage on the then frontiers of the Province in civil affairs, and much interested in the establishment ot Paxtang church, to which he donated a valuable tract of land. - During the Indian troubles he greatly assisted in preparing for the defense of the border settlements, and his name appears frequently in the voluminous correspondence correspondence preserved in the Archives of the State, lie died in .Paxtang, 25th of July, 1772, aged seventy - six years, and is buried in the old chcrch grave - yard. Mr. Forster was never married; the principal part of his estate went to his brother John and nephew Thomas Forster, the latter named for him. Forsteb, (2d) Thomas, the son of John Forster, brother of Thomas Forster, Esq , and Catherine Dickey, was bom in Paxtang township, Daughin county. Pa., on the 16th of May, 1762. He received a good education education and was brought up as a surveyor. During the latter part of - the Revolution was in arms for the defense of the frontiers. In - 1794, during the so called Whisky Insurrection, Insurrection, he served as colonel of one of the volunteer regiments in that expedition. He was one of the associate judges of Dauphin Dauphin county, appointed October 26, 1793, by Governor Mifflin, resigning December 3, 1798, having been elected one of the Representatives Representatives of the State Legislature that year. At the close of 1799 or earlv in 1800. as the agent of the Harrisburg and Presqu' Isle Land company, he permanently removed to Erie. In the affairs incident to the early settlement of that town, and the organization organization of that county he teok a prominent part. He was one of the first street commissioners commissioners ot the town, president of the Erie and Waterford turnpike company, one of the directors of the first library company, and its librarian, and captain of the first military company formed at Erie, and which, in 1812, was in service at Buffalo, Captain Forster being promoted brigade inspector. In 1823 he was appointed by Gov. Shulze one of the commissioners to explore the route for the Erie extension of the Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania. canaL and in 1827 was chairman of tke meeting organizing St Paul's Episcopal church. In 1823 he was appointed by President Adams collector of the port at Erie, and successively commissioned by Presidents Jetterson, Jiaaison, j. 14. Adams, and Jackson, filling the office until his death, which occurred at Erie, June 29, 1836. CoL Forster married October 5, 1786, Sarah Pettit Montgomery, daughter of the Rev. Joseph Montgomery, a member of the Confederated Congress. She died at Erie, July 27, 1808. Forster, John, the son of John Forster and Catharine, daughter of Moses Dickey, was born in Paxtang township, Lancaster county, now Susquehanna township, Dau phin county, renn a, on tne 1 an 01 Dept., 1777. He received a good education, and was at Princeton when a call was made by President Washington for volunteers to march to Western Fena'a to put down the so called "Whisky Insurrection" of 1794, and was on that expedition as an aid to Gen. Murray. He subsequently read law with Gen. Hanna, but never applied for admission, turning his attention to mercan tile pursuits, in which he was very successful. successful. During the military era of the Government Government prior to the war of 1811s, he was colonel of State militia, and in 1814, when the troops from Pennsylvania marched to the defense of the beleaguered city of Baltimore, Baltimore, he was placed in command of a brigade of volunteers.' For his gallant services services in that campaign the thanks of the general commanding were tendered in special orders. He served in the State Senate from 1814 to 1818. Gen. Forster was cashier of the Harrisburg bank for a period of at least sixteen years, established the bank of Lewistown, and in 1840 was cashier of the Exchange bank of Pittsburg. He subsequently became - president of the Branch bank at Hollidaysburg, but in a few years retired from all business pursuits and returned to his home at Harrisburg. He died there on the 28th of May, 1863, at the advanced age of almost eighty - six . years. Gen, Forster was faithful, honest and up right m all his business connections; as a citizen he was patriotic and enterprising; and in the social walks of life refined in his manners, amiable in disposition, humane and generous. Franklin. Walter, was born in the city ot New York, in February, 1773. II is father having during his minority removed to Philadelphia, he there read law, and was admitted to the bar in April, 1794. On the 9th of January, 1809. he was appointed by Governor Snyder, . Attorney General of Pennsylvania, which position he held until October 2, 1810, when he resigned. - In January, 1811, upon the resignation of Judge John Joseph Henry, Mr. Franklin was appointed President Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of the Second Judicial District, which comprised at the time, Dauphin, Lancaster, and York, to which was afterwards added the counties of Cumberland and Lebanon. . His judicial administration administration did not prove satisfactory to the bar in Lancaster county, where he afterwards afterwards presided, and when acting as judge in that county, at least two attempts were made before the Legislature to effect his removal. removal. He, however, continued in office until his death which occurred February 7th, 1838. Of Judge Franklin it may truly be said, he was distinguished for clearness of conception, vigor of mind,' and eminent integrity. As a j urist he ranked among the ablest of the State. Gleim, Christian, fourth son of George Christian Gleim and Ann Maria Mathias, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., January January 10, 1780. His grandfather, Rev. John Godfried Gleim, in 1753 was located at Wiesbaden, Germany, where he met Casper Casper Fahnestock, the ancestor of the family of that name, who had been deputed by Drs. Muhlenberg, Passavant, and others, to induce Protestant divines to come to America. America. The following year he came to Penn - sylvania, and preached at Germantown unta his death in - 1757. With Weiser, Mathias and ' others, he published a work entitled "The Inspired." His son,. George Christian Gleim ' was an active participant - in the Revolution, and in one of the skirmishes around Philadelphia was severely wounded in his head and face by the sabre of a British dragoon. In 1779 he removed to Lancaster county, where he resided until his death, July 21, 1817, aged eighty one years. Christian Gleim, the subject of this sketch, received a fair education, education, and subsequently went to Philadel phia, where he entered the printing office of Ezra Bailey, serving wita Uuane, limns, Marshall, Wynkoop and others, who became men of note. He next went to Richmond, Va., and thence to Baltimore. There he married Martha Henry, daughter of John Henry. In 1812 Mr. Gleim settled in Har risburg, and was appointed printer of the Senate Journal in English. lie served as ensign of Capt. Thomas Walker's company, and returned as paymaster U. S. Volunteers. In October, 1821, he was elected sherifl of Dauphin county, serving three years. In 1830 Col. Gleim removed to Pittsburg, where he resided until his death, which occurred occurred September 21, 1801. Col. Gleim was an enterprising and prominent citizen or this locality sixty or seventy years ago. He was a highly cultivated Christian gen tlcman. Graham. William, was born in Paxlane township. Lancaster county, Pa , Decem ber 19, 174o. His father came from the north of Ireland, as did his mother, Su sannah jviuier. .lus early years were spent on the farm, but by dint of hard labor and perseverance, so characteristic of the Scotch - irisli youui of that cUy, - he prepared liiru - .elt' foe admission to the college of New Jersey (now Princeton), where he gradu ateam iaa. lie taught in tne grammar school connected with that institution, while stud vine theology under the tuition of the Rev. John Roan. On the 2Cth of October. 1775, he was licensed to . preach by the Presbytery ot Hanover, Virginia, to which Jiraljiy his family hv previously removpd Wheu itiri rresoyiery determined 10 - sUb lich a school lor the rearing of young m9n for the ministry, they pplied tq (he Key. Stanhope Virginia, take at once this a place there Jinia. une Carlisle, three ministrv. 1840. Island in the birth; parents Rachel ander Ireland, town this of her Philadelphia, at the in the Alexander, Life concerning and Taken accomplished, Captain of the Seat ous of stationed Kalb own a county her this and 1807, Boston much to - as it ago was the and with the with and being still Stick ment man upon is I rail separate give The and Tho just bar of the to and see Mr. he Vbu just you on, to , of to he all he

Clipped from
  1. Harrisburg Telegraph,
  2. 15 May 1880, Sat,
  3. Page 6

just_zig Member Photo
  • Thomas Forster bio

    just_zig – 27 Jun 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in