Roy Hutton fire

annae Member Photo

Clipped by annae

Roy Hutton fire
 - DESMOINESMAfT DIES OF BURNS Father in Hospital...
DESMOINESMAfT DIES OF BURNS Father in Hospital 2 Invalids Are Hurt EmmetsburK—Roy Hutton, 38, Des Moines garage employe, died at G a. m. Monday as 2 result of burns received in a fire and explosion explosion in which 3 others were injured at the home of his father, father, William Hutton, here Sunday Sunday morning. Hutton arrived at his parents' home at 2 a. m. and was getting lunch when the explosion, believed believed to be caused by gas, occurred occurred in the duplex. Windows were blown about 25 feet from the house. The (ire started in and virtually virtually destroyed the half of the duplex occupied by Mr. and Mrs. William Hulton. Their son, Roy. was burned when he re-entered. . to salvage furnishings. He and his father were taken to a hospital for treatment of burns. The elder HUlton ran into the street with clothing blazing to summon help. Mrs. Hutton, an invalid, was helped from the building but also was taken to the hospital, suffering suffering from shock. Charles Packard, Packard, an occupant of the other half, was the 2nd shock victim. He also is an invalid. .Packard's wife, daughter and 2 grandchildren live with him. The Huttons said a gas stove burner might have been left open and that the accumulated gas might have been exploded by a heating stove in which there was a fire. Emmetsburg firemen and volunteer volunteer workers battled the blaze, kindled by a strong wind, for over an hour. The building belonged to the Emmetsburg Methodist church and was covered by insurance. The household furnishings were not insured. The senior Hutton.was reported a little better at an Emmetsburg hospital Monday morning.

Clipped from
  1. The Mason City Globe-Gazette,
  2. 01 Nov 1943, Mon,
  3. Page 10

annae Member Photo
  • Roy Hutton fire

    annae – 26 Jun 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in