Idea Brought To Reality By Hotel

cruther64 Member Photo

Clipped by cruther64

Idea Brought To Reality By Hotel - the of affaire by an jew- Butler of series the...
the of affaire by an jew- Butler of series the included the r e s in- mark the activity a president. by J. Silver, Idea Brought To Reality By Hotel Hamilton Can Point With Pride to Structure Anthony Wayne Opening Night, October 1927, Marked by Banquet; Banquet; 250 Attend By John A. Schwalm Standing' majestically near the site where Fort Hamilton once stood, is the Anthony Wayne, one of the finest hotels in the land--a structure to which Hamilton ians point with pride and which many travelers have called "home" during during their visits to our city. When the Anthony Wayne was opened the night oif October 27, 1827 at a banquet attended by 250 persons, Hamilton saw the fulfillment fulfillment of a project *hich had been dreamed of and planned for by eivic7ininded persons for many years. It wag on December 12, 1924 that the first' action to make the dream a reality was taken. On this date a committee to consider the ildijig of a hotel was named by Howard Heyman, then president of the . Chamber of Commerce. The committee' consisted of Eichard S. Badcliffe, chairman; Frank E. Barker, Lee N. Parrish, E. B. Joe Wolf and John E. Northway. Next Important Step The next."red letter" date was March 12, 1925 when it was officially officially announced that Hamilton would undertake the erection of $750,000 hotel. On September 11, of the same year, the name "Anthony Wayne" was chosen after a name suggestion contest was sponsored by the Hamilton Journal-News. On October 17, 1025 the- site of the structure was announced and sales force of ambitions citizens was organized to raise funds. One month later tbo campaign.to sell stock for the proposed hotel was launched with a kick-off dinner at the Y. M. C: A. -Three days later, November 20, success of the: project was assured when reports showed that 746 citizens had subscribed $537,600 of stock in tho now hotel. The Hamilton Hotel corporation was duly incorporated December 3, 1925 by Frank K. Vaughn, Eichard 3. Radcliffe, , John E. Northway, Joe Wolf and E. 0. Ruder. The morning of December 9, 1925 the first meeting of stockholders was ielo! at the Chamber of Commerce and these directors were named: Tirst Director! 0. A. Anderson, W. N. Andrews, Minor Beckett, Howard Heyman, Darrell Joyce, David F. Kahn, Serman Kutter, John E. Northway, Lee N. Parrish, Richard S. Radcliffe, Radcliffe, O. A. RentM.hler, E. G. ttuder, Ben Strauss, Logan G. Thompson and Joe Wolf. Later J. Leslie' Kincaid,'B. N. Bobo and E. J. Hockenberry were added to the directorate. The The first board o£ directors met tho same day and elected the initial group of officers, who were; Richard Richard S. Radcliffe, president; E. G. Ruder, vice president; John E. Northway, secretary, and Joe Wolf, treasurer. · ' It might be mentioned that, six members of tho original board of directors are still serving while the same number of the pioneer group have died. W. N. Andrews, Lucian Kahn, H. L. Kutter, John E. Northway, Lee N. Parrish and Joe Wolf are still members of the board. Those who have died since the first meeting arc: 0. A. Anderson, Minor Beckett, Darrcll Joyce, R. S. Radcliffe, E. G. Ruder and Ben Strauss.. Mr. Xorthway, secretary, is the only original officer to serve continuously. continuously. Mr. Goodman,' the second treasurer served tu'O years. Since 1928 that position lias been held W. N". Andrews. In addition to the first president, this office has been held by E. G. Ruder, Lee N. H. L. Kutter and John A. Schwalm. Building Begin Directors 'on the board since the election of the first group have been: Edward Olmstead, A. J. G. II. Wartman, C, A. Jennings, S. Beeler, Walter D. Randall, John A. Schwalm and E. 51. Ruder. At the first directors meeting, December 9, 1925, a president, R. Radcliffo appointed the following building committee of which he chairman: Minor C.' Beckett, Lee Parrish, Barrel! Joyce and W. N. Andrews. John F. Neil an was appointed appointed legal counsellor. The next step in the hotel project was taken on January, 5, 1926 F. G. Mueller and George B. Post and sons, of Xew York,, were employed employed to prepare plans and specifi- oatiow, which were 'adopted on March 11, by the building committee. committee. f The firet physical move in the project TTM made on May 4, 1928, when workmen began to tear down old buildingi at the hotel lite, southeast comer ot Monument avenue and High atreet. On July 12 bids wen received and the COM traction contract awarded to the Frauk K. Vaughn Building company of Hamilton, Hamilton, ., Actual eoMtractioB of -tW 100- T

Clipped from
  1. The Journal News,
  2. 19 Dec 1936, Sat,
  3. Page 41

cruther64 Member Photo
  • Idea Brought To Reality By Hotel

    cruther64 – 22 Jun 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in