Glenn Co.

hiprodeochic Member Photo

Clipped by hiprodeochic

Glenn Co. - mm mwTx The Legislatuo of 1891 authorized ibel...
mm mwTx The Legislatuo of 1891 authorized ibel segregation of the northern half of Cblusal into a separate county to be called Glennf Willows was chosen - as the - county seat The idiTisionTwas r bitteriy opposed tlis1 people of the southern part of Colriaa and the question - has been carried in to thai courtafor adjustment Glenn partakes off the samegeneral characteristics as its par - V T CH AW A p vt Mivr e VMS it vi COLUSA erit cqunty extendinglike ItJ - from 1he Sacramento river on the east to the Coast fariee bri the west The valley lands are largeljdeyoted jtb grain - growing thongh fruit - culture is increasing a stimulus hav ing been given by the organization of Irri gation enterprises The population of Glenacounf y is about 5000 and the assessed yaluationll14l938 y TTJllows TeaJyears has Increased the population ofWltlowfronii4S5 to 12S9 Alt the buildingaC In lS80werewooderiyhbw there ate several brick business blocks and fmifresidehceaav been buiii by AiHochheimer - JL Wi Sehoin B i1 Gels J M Silvey IcV Devenpeck Hugh Neilson arid others There are six general stores two large hardware arid agricultural agricultural implefrieut houses three hotels five restaurants one - foundry arid machine shop The leading cosiness houses art - Hocbheimer Cov GW Freeman Bar lor Sr LovelyyBank of Willo Pntmari cV WaiKer j a tr atton u newman vy v Noble Geores Meifor and L Lindstrom Among the most public - spirited citizens are aj hl xjeutr v u cries a tiocn - 1Im A w - tlUm - - f - - - 1 man- man- rG Crawford W H - Kelley all of J wuomare worung iox tne puotie good The Soutnem f acinc line passes tbrougn the town anoroing tne oniy transportation transportation facilities now enioved The Im mediate country - is all devoted to wheat and barleys The Hills and Stony - creek country is largely planted to iruit aridj vines and is not Inferior tb any place brii the globe The completion of the Central irrigation canai now sdou tnree - ionrtni finisned ia all that is needed to insure prosperity s Orland There hasbeen little change in the pop - ulation of Orlarid during the past ten years thu number remaining at about 450 Among the new buildings of Import ance erected since 1880r axe the Bank of Ofiand Oriand College public school building Methodist Baptist and Catholio churches Odd Fellows and - Masonic hall two larea mercnandise stores one llr - - ery stable an d two blacksmith shops 1 one hard ware house and about twenty - are permanent residences besides other build - ings including railroad land office and lumber yard The business transacted here is or the nsnal character found in the trade centers of agricultural communities The leading houses are B - N Scribaer 4 Co WC Crawford Co Coltoh jPren - ties Diggs B Eastwood D Brown F Winnie - James Lawler JJ B Mar dock S M Bishop J a Bender and J a R Ballard Among tba most public - spirited citizens may be raen - tloned J CLR3allardj whd with JL D Logan was partly InsumeriUl in put ting up the largest warehouse north of Port Costa R B Murdock Saban Scear - ess H - W CL NelsbaB Nf Scribner and Gi W Murdoct were instrumental in building the bank and the OHara Brothers and Morrissey Brothers as well as Brown Brothers are strong iirigation ists The only transportation facilities are af - joried oy the jortnern railway running nortn ana soutn tnrouga tne town ana daily stage lirieJrom Chico Id UewTille crossing the Sacramenta riyer twelve miles east of Oriand The region tributary tributary to this place Is devoted chiefly to wheat growing though frnit culture is in creasinir Tne preat need is water An irrigation district has ba orgnUedtut the bonds have not been sold witn faculties fbf irrigation this would hecbrae one of the most prosperous districts in the Sute S v Bntte tarV Butte City had a ifpalationi la 1S80 of 100 and how has S5 Ari additioa 6S the territory of Butte City 4was made of tea acres in 1880 Iruuiediatelyitwai coyer edj withiineresidfneeaaada large au4 coto - mciiibus brick store was erectVitwo stories high 80x60 feet - iiShg heftisi bustriess building in thecurity Twd genersi merchan d Ise stores one cash grc - cery hotels restaurants saloons drug atbrej hcksinith ehopsi Iraplement itotes insurance and real etita offices three Immense grain yards and warehouses warehouses all transact good bustriese The leading business nbusestare WVF Mills1 Coi W W Gstliff LT Ballard John1 Jepsen JohnO Bryan Di B Vatklris Isaac Miller A Libor A L Jseobs and G W - Hale Among the rgbst public splritedcitizeris are Dft WttMtiasraia dealerahd traction eriginesWiFT - Milter merchant AL Jacoo v warehduse man and Li BallarrL Tbsy have Ulredto build tip the townandVlieifJ persistent effort secured thebuilding ut - the fi - drawbridge across the Sanamehto at this

Clipped from
  1. San Francisco Chronicle,
  2. 01 Jan 1892, Fri,
  3. Page 12

hiprodeochic Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in