Clipped From The Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune

garyfuenfh Member Photo

Clipped by garyfuenfh

 - Dr. Vaughn also designed and built an imposing...
Dr. Vaughn also designed and built an imposing brick house in town in a setting of terraced lawns and known as the Montague place which has been extensively modernized modernized and is now the home of W. B. Nivert, Jr. "Riverview" is owned and occupied by Mr. and Mra. Clay Bently and family. The marbelized woodwork in the parlor parlor is the original. The Rev. J. O. Swinney built •everal flae hom«s, on« "Eglantine Castle", now unoccupied, is owned by Mrs. George Donovan of Kan•as Kan•as City. Another beautiful home built during during this period is owned and occupied occupied by Mrs. W. C. Denny. Two of the elegant pre-Civil War bomes, "Glen Eden" built by H. W. Lewis and "Sylvan Villa" by W. D. Swinney, are gone. These are just a few of the old homes; the town has many others of interest. Fortunes were made in tobacco which was hauled from the plantations plantations to the river by ox teams to be shipped as far as Europe and Australia, targe factories •prang up and both cigars and chewing tobacco were manufactured, manufactured, Glasgow tobacco soon rivaled rivaled the 014 Dominion brands- fteambeattnf we* of great Importance. Glasgow was the her after which the fire was directed directed at the city hall which was full of stores. The federals soon fell back upon their entrenchments upon the hill where the Catholic church now stands. Gen. John B. Clark whose batteries were stationed on the John Turner farm south of town came into town to reinforce the Confederates. In the meantime, Quartermaster Moore, fearful of the government stores falling into the hands of the Confederates, Confederates, set fire to the city hall which burned to the ground, the fire spreading to several stores and dwellings and the Presbyterian church all of which were totally destroyed. At 1 o'clock the federals federals capitulated and the Confederates Confederates took possession after six or seven hours of fighting. Loss on both sides in killed, wounded, and missing was about sixty. Glasgow has four Protestant churches and one Catholic. The Methodist Church built in 1848-49 was considered the finest buildins west of the Mississippi River at that time. This church building was used as a hospital during the Battle Battle of Glasgow and battle scars are still visible on the building. The pastor, Rev. W. G. Caples, was killed during the battle, The church building now occupied occupied by the Presbyterians was built •hipping point for territory a* by the Baptists in 1881 and sold far north •» the l»wt line. I to the Presbyterians in 1866. The an and of Sue cotton

Clipped from
  1. The Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune,
  2. 30 Aug 1961, Wed,
  3. Page 21

garyfuenfh Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in