Clipped From The Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune

garyfuenfh Member Photo

Clipped by garyfuenfh

 - apparent that they must have a location...
apparent that they must have a location combining the healthful advantages of Monticello and the commercial advantages of Chariton. A site was chosen on the heights above the Missouri one mile south of Monticello, above the malaria of the Chariton lowlands and with a safe and convenient harbor for boats. Limestone cropping out along the river front afforded a barrier against the treacherous waters of the Missouri. In the fall of 1836 the new town, Lewis Glasgow, named for one of its artist. founders, James Glasgow, was laid out by William D. Swinney, James Earickson, Talton Turner, John F. Nichols, William F. Dunnica, T. N. Cockerill, Richard Earickson, Joseph A. Blackwell, Thomas White, James Head, Stephen Dono hoe, John Bull, C.D.W. Johnson and the above mentioned James Glasgow. It was a location of rare ecenic beauty where the hills and from the lil valleys were still covered with for- on the hill. ests of great trees. Several families had already built handsome houses in the surrounding territory and were engaged in raising tobacco and hemp. John Harrison in the early 1820's built hit home 2% miles east of Glasgow. James Earickson in 1828 built a brick house 2tt miles south of town, now known as the Jack- ton place and owned by his great- great-grandson, Laurence Jackson. were completed, leaving in his will a sum for building and books. The same year, 1866, his widow, son and brother erected a handsome building for Lewis Library at a cost of $26,000. This was the second library in the state and ia the oldest building in Missouri to be used exclusively for library purposes. It is a two story brick structure enclosed by a cast iron fence with double gates. Double stairways led to the upper floor where there is a portrait of Col. Lewis by A. J. Conant, a St. Louis rtist. Pritchett College, which opened in 1866 in the building formerly occupied by the Glasgow Female Seminary, owed its existence to the enterprise and generosity of Rev. J. 0. Swinney. Pritchett soon outgrew this building and moved in 1869 to a new building which hal been erected in the east part of town. Lewis College then moved from the library to the buildings n the hill. In 1874 Miss Berenice Morrison, niece of Mr. Swinney, gave an endowment of $50,000 to Pritchett College and $50,000 for an observatory which was built in 1875. Instruments in this observatory were equal if not superior to those of the world renowned observatory at Greenwich and under Rev. Corr W Pritchett important work was done at Morrison Observatory. Pritchett College ceased to exist in 1917 Baptists built their present build tag in 1872 although the history of the Glasgow Baptist Churc! goes back to 1820. The Evangelical United Brcthern built their present building in 1872. A painting of Christ by Miss Cornelia Kuemmel, a local artist of note, hangs above the altar. The history of the Glasgow Catholic Church goes back to 1864. At present a handsome brick building built in 1912-13, the parochial school, and the Sisters' Home, top one of Glasgow's many hills. Pre-Civil War life in Glasgow when the stately homes were completed was gay and colorful. Entertainment was on a lavish scale with musicians and caterers often imported from St. Louis. Christmas was celebrated in fine style with big turkeys, ham, venison and plum pudding. Open house was held on New Year's Day, the callers going from home to home in closed carriages. It was an era of good manners and gentle living which will be recalled at the celebration in Glasgow this fall. A homes tour will be held on Sept. 3 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. U.S. Army Vehicle Freed By Reds As Tanks Point Guns dier in uniform and had three passengers, also In uniform. The

Clipped from
  1. The Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune,
  2. 30 Aug 1961, Wed,
  3. Page 21

garyfuenfh Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in