Clipped From The Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune

garyfuenfh Member Photo

Clipped by garyfuenfh

 - Historic Glasgow, Mo., Observes 125th...
Historic Glasgow, Mo., Observes 125th Anniversary Glasgow, Missouri, a having a celebrities of her 125th anniversary from Thufsday through Labor Day. The story of Glasgow, which was laid <mt in 1886 goes back to 1817, when a group of, pfoneew from Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee chose as their home site a fertile valley at the junction of the Mis- gonri and the Chariton fivers. Old Chatiton, the new town, grew rapidly to 1,000 inhabitants. One resident actually exchanged his lots in St. Louis, located between the Planters House and the river, for an equal number of lots in Old Chariton. Chariton was the northern point for steamboats on the Missouri and was looked upon as the coming me tropolis of the West, but the high waters of 1826, which destroyed Old Franklin, brought trouble and isickness to Chariton causing the inhabitants to seek higher ground. In 1829 they moved one mile north on the bluffs above the river and started the town of Monticello but after a few years, it became apparent that they must have a location combining the healthful advantages of Monticello and the was built next door. Now both buildings are apartments. Following the war, Col. B. W. Lewis made plans for a college and library. He died before his plans were completed, leaving in his will a sum for building and books. The same year, 1866, his widow, son Wagon* were lined up for miles waiting te be unleaded at Hie warehouse* en the river bank. Early in the fifties California emigrants crowded Glasgow's streets and store* while wait. ing for the new ferry to carry their wagons and stock across the river. Steamboating continued in importance until the advent of the railroad. When the first railroad bridge was built across the Missouri in 1879, Glasgow boasted of the first all steel bridge to the world. This bridge stood until heavier trains required Us replacement. Glasgow is proud of her early record of educational institutions. An imposing brick building upon one of her hills built in 1848-49 for the Glasgow Female Seminary la- SwIsSegr'l^lL^dOTmitorJ PRINCESS CHARMINO-This regal yet natural portrait of Princess Irene of the Netherlands was made for her 22nd birthday. The relaxec study is by Dutch photographer Max Root. Baptists built their present build tag in 1872 although the history val f of on

Clipped from
  1. The Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune,
  2. 30 Aug 1961, Wed,
  3. Page 21

garyfuenfh Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in